HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Article on Ben Maxwell in La Presse

Old
07-19-2008, 12:16 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The Habs are really thin in depth at centre. Sundin must be signed for a couple of years to permit a smooth transition. No Lecavalier in Montreal anytime soon...
+1, i've been saying this from the start. I know some people will not agree with me, but the Koivu era must be put to rest. IMHO, with Sundin locked for 3 years, we do not resign Koivu and Kovalev. Depending on Lapierre and CHipchura, we may at the deadline or during the next UFA market madness go and get a solid 3rd line center with offensive upside (what Smolinski did not deliver).

Maxwell is our only prospect that is fore sought on the top two lines at center. If he doesn't pan out...we will be in deep s**t. Moreso, that we haven't drafted as highly speculated potential at center than we have at D.

And even with the Tanguay trade, trades are hard to come by, even with our profound depth at D .

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Beakermania*

Sundin for 3 years??? He's 38 and talking about retirement already.

Awful risky since if he retires you still get the cap hit, as he is over 35 when the contract starts.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:46 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Maxwell's the prospect I will try to pay the most attention to in camp.

Who knows, if we don't get Sundin and if he gets off to a hot start in the AHL after a good training camp, he could be this year's Sergei Kostitsyn. The organization wants to have 3 scoring lines and he could be the eventual solution.

It's absolutely crucial that Maxwell shows he can play at a high level this fall for the center depth of this organization.
Maxwell can't even produce as much offence as White. He's a better skater, but he's softer, not as productive and more injury prone. I wouldn't be pinning your hopes on him to produce, he'd be trade bait in my book....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Maxwell can't even produce as much offence as White. He's a better skater, but he's softer, not as productive and more injury prone. I wouldn't be pinning your hopes on him to produce, he'd be trade bait in my book....
Wow i thought we were quick to call prospects busts on this site before, now we're not even letting them play a single AHL game before doing so.

Old
07-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Of course you have to bring your boy White into the discussion...like it has anything to do with Maxwell.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Thanks for that article .

The article goes on about how Maxwell is on a mission to be a difficult "cut" at the camp. And, he wants to also prove that he is NOT a fragile hockey player. I like his attitude. It's EXACTLY what I want to hear from Ben. IMO, he'll be a HAB in (approx.) 2 years (or slightly more).

My favourite part of the article:
I love how Timmins compares Maxwell to Brad Richards ("they have similar hockey styles, cerebral styles, skating, shooting, height/physique" etc). Timmins also mentions that he doesn't find it fair to Maxwell to compare him to Richards but Timmins goes on to say that he can't help it 'cause Ben really reminds him of Richards. Great stuff, great to read, I love it.
My prediction: Maxwell's DOWNside will be...he'll be a good 2nd NHL center (worst case scenario).

Also, at the end of the article, Locke is mentioned to be looking at offers from Switzerland + Russia? What about the NHL that just acquired Locke? Are they going to call Gainey to ask him for something else?!! (if Locke goes to Europe).

p.s.: I don't know what all the complaining/fuss is about in this thread. I'm thankful anytime a HAB fan lets us know about HAB articles...so thanks for that "FrankMTL".
I think the Richards comparison is pretty generous, though if we confine it to style and not impact then it strikes me as a good one. I think your idea of his downside is too generous, as I actually think his upside is that of a good 2nd line center. Former Hab Andrew Cassels is the guy who I think of in those terms. If he does better than that, I'll be moderately surprised, though pleased if he does it as a Hab.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:10 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Of course you have to bring your boy White into the discussion...like it has anything to do with Maxwell.
Why doesn't it have anything to do with White? 2 WHL products, both heading for their first year in Hamilton, competing against each other to be a top habs forward prospect....it's a natural comparison to make.....

Old
07-19-2008, 01:11 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Wow i thought we were quick to call prospects busts on this site before, now we're not even letting them play a single AHL game before doing so.
I'm not calling him a bust, I'm just saying he's not going to be a top 6 forward....and with all your forward prospects maybe you'd be wise to trade away the injury prone one.....

Old
07-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
I'm not calling him a bust, I'm just saying he's not going to be a top 6 forward....and with all your forward prospects maybe you'd be wise to trade away the injury prone one.....
You're not calling him a bust, but you suggest he get traded away because he won't make it unless he completely changes his game and turns into a role player. OK.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
+1, i've been saying this from the start. I know some people will not agree with me, but the Koivu era must be put to rest. IMHO, with Sundin locked for 3 years, we do not resign Koivu and Kovalev. Depending on Lapierre and CHipchura, we may at the deadline or during the next UFA market madness go and get a solid 3rd line center with offensive upside (what Smolinski did not deliver).

Maxwell is our only prospect that is fore sought on the top two lines at center. If he doesn't pan out...we will be in deep s**t. Moreso, that we haven't drafted as highly speculated potential at center than we have at D.

And even with the Tanguay trade, trades are hard to come by, even with our profound depth at D .
Timmins compares Maxwell to Brad Richards with the qualifier that he isn't as good. If Maxwell isn't as good as Richards, then the long-term needs of the Habs still won't be met and Timmins (or Gainey) will have to look elsewhere. In the meantime, Maxwell isn't as good as Koivu right now and he won't be in 2 years. So forget about your wish fulfillment dreams. Sundin won't be here for 3 years (if he comes at all) and Maxwell won't be able to match any of the first line centers in the Northeast and probably not in the East.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:43 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Timmins compares Maxwell to Brad Richards with the qualifier that he isn't as good. If Maxwell isn't as good as Richards, then the long-term needs of the Habs still won't be met and Timmins (or Gainey) will have to look elsewhere. In the meantime, Maxwell isn't as good as Koivu right now and he won't be in 2 years. So forget about your wish fulfillment dreams. Sundin won't be here for 3 years (if he comes at all) and Maxwell won't be able to match any of the first line centers in the Northeast and probably not in the East.
So we have a problem...

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Avim86

Isn't Chipchura a center?? , where is he now?

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:06 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
You're not calling him a bust, but you suggest he get traded away because he won't make it unless he completely changes his game and turns into a role player. OK.

The only reason I say trade him is because you have a lot of other young prospects, Chipchura, White, MaxPac, Trotter, so maybe Maxwell has some value, maybe you can trade him for someone a little less injury prone....but hey, we'll see how he and White and Maxpac and Trotter stack up against each other in Hamilton, then maybe the picure becomes clearer!!

Old
07-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I suppose the nervous Nellies in this thread are unfamiliar with the concept of a trade to fill a position on your team...

Old
07-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I suppose the nervous Nellies in this thread are unfamiliar with the concept of a trade to fill a position on your team...
Well the thing with Maxwell is, we don't have a lot of centres who project as offensive players in the system, and there is only one who is with the team currently who is that way.... Plekanec.

Chips, White, Lappierre and look more like 2 way Centres or Defensive centres....

If you are giving up Max in a deal, you better be getting a young offensive centre back.

Old
07-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Well the thing with Maxwell is, we don't have a lot of centres who project as offensive players in the system, and there is only one who is with the team currently who is that way.... Plekanec.

Chips, White, Lappierre and look more like 2 way Centres or Defensive centres....

If you are giving up Max in a deal, you better be getting a young offensive centre back.
I wasn't talking about Maxwell. I was talking about trading a winger or defenceman to get that coveted offensive center. My point is that the Habs have enough quality assets that they can make a deal if need be.

Old
07-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I wasn't talking about Maxwell. I was talking about trading a winger or defenceman to get that coveted offensive center. My point is that the Habs have enough quality assets that they can make a deal if need be.
IC.... and I agree wholeheartedly...

The habs are very stocked on defence, and I can't remember a time when defencemen didn't have a good value on the trade front.

Old
07-19-2008, 06:51 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Sundin for 3 years??? He's 38 and talking about retirement already.

Awful risky since if he retires you still get the cap hit, as he is over 35 when the contract starts.
I was not aware of that...interesting and I must admit strange.

So let's say we do sign him for 3 years but he decides to retire after the 08-09 season. Then we still need to pay full salary for the next two seasons even if he retires?

If I was in the NHLPA I would be furious. This policy pushes older players into retirement and provides them with no security at all as GM's will rightfully sign them to one year contracts.

You have a solid career, you are respected for the longevity you have accomplished and then when you still have it in the gonads to play and still perform, you can only aspire to be bounced back betweens different teams for the remainder of your career.

I see no respect in this at all. Must be a Bettman idea.

Old
07-19-2008, 10:53 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Can I have your crystal ball please?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:34 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I think the Richards comparison is pretty generous, though if we confine it to style and not impact then it strikes me as a good one. I think your idea of his downside is too generous, as I actually think his upside is that of a good 2nd line center. Former Hab Andrew Cassels is the guy who I think of in those terms. If he does better than that, I'll be moderately surprised, though pleased if he does it as a Hab.
Maxwell is a much faster skater than Cassels and a tad bigger but there is a resemblance. Both have great hockey sense and could dish the puck.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:45 AM
monster_bertuzzi

I remember wtaching this guy when he was 13 playing at the North Vancouver winter club with Gilbert Brule and some others. He really stood out back then I knew he would have himself a nice NHL career. He just has ''it'' in terms of hockey smarts.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I was not aware of that...interesting and I must admit strange.

So let's say we do sign him for 3 years but he decides to retire after the 08-09 season. Then we still need to pay full salary for the next two seasons even if he retires?

If I was in the NHLPA I would be furious. This policy pushes older players into retirement and provides them with no security at all as GM's will rightfully sign them to one year contracts.

You have a solid career, you are respected for the longevity you have accomplished and then when you still have it in the gonads to play and still perform, you can only aspire to be bounced back betweens different teams for the remainder of your career.

I see no respect in this at all. Must be a Bettman idea.
You don't have to pay the salary if he doesn't show up to play... but you do get stuck with the cap hit.

Old
07-20-2008, 08:30 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
You don't have to pay the salary if he doesn't show up to play... but you do get stuck with the cap hit.
Still blows, and I find disrespectful towards players.

The only way to counter such a policy would be to give lengthly contracts (to minimize the cap hit ) and buy out before retirement. Wouldn't this be considered collusion (is this the right word? no dictionary at hand)?

Old
07-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Still blows, and I find disrespectful towards players.

The only way to counter such a policy would be to give lengthly contracts (to minimize the cap hit ) and buy out before retirement. Wouldn't this be considered collusion (is this the right word? no dictionary at hand)?
Collusion implies that the whole league is doing something to prevent competition for free agents, and lowering their market value; ie all the teams agree in a backroom meeting that no team will offer any Free Agent more than 5mill/season in order to lower the market.... I don't see how this would be collusion unless a number of teams were deciding to use such a policy, and there is no evidence that this is happening.

Old
07-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Top Corner2

Ryan White gets no respect around here. Granted his "skills" are not fantastic, but he does it all (wins faceoffs, hits, blocks shots, scores, sets up plays...) and he produces year after year. His hockey sense is unreal....I think at this point he has proven more than Maxwell.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote