HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Check THIS OUT! Western conference standings

Old
07-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Lowe in Oil

vCash: 500
Check THIS OUT! Western conference standings

There is a poll going on and Calgary made 3rd!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=533799

Last edited by Lowe in Oil: 07-08-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
40oz

They have a great shot at winning the NW for sure. I dont think anyone could argue that.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
They have a great shot at winning the NW for sure. I dont think anyone could argue that.
No doubt - they only need to beat MIN, COL, VAN and us. Not that hard to do, at all. With MIN losing Demitra, and Sakic's waffling, the division's up for grabs.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:47 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
No doubt - they only need to beat MIN, COL, VAN and us. Not that hard to do, at all. With MIN losing Demitra, and Sakic's waffling, the division's up for grabs.
Yup, Its a long season and I think every team in the division has a shot at winning it.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Unleaded

Quote:
Uh.... I could... and so would anyone else who looked at their roster... their lineup blows - no secondary scoring. Their D isn't going to pot 100 goals for them.

Seriously - how many goals do you expect Cammi, langkow and Iggy to get?

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app?servi...rs&type=roster

Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Oiltalk

If any team has a great shot it will be Minnesota or Edmonton. Calgary has clearly taken a step back, and the same can be said for Vancouver unless they get Sundin. With that said, it might still go down to the last 5 or so games of the season.

Oiltalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Uh.... I could... and so would anyone else who looked at their roster... their lineup blows - no secondary scoring. Their D isn't going to pot 100 goals for them.

You forgot to mention Bertuzzi

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post

As mucha s I hate to admit it Calgary did fairly well last year. They didn't exactly stel the show and rule the division, but they held their own for a good chunk of the year. If Iggy repeats his performance and Cammi(or Bert) is a good winger for him they might not need secondary scoring so much as defense.

If they can roll some good shutdown lines against other teams they can still win games 1-0 or 2-1.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Ice Whole

So with the talent Calgary had last year, they made the playoffs as the number 7th seed and finished 3rd in the division. Now when they get worse, a lot worse, people think they will do better. They have no secondary scoring. Its going to be all about Iginla, Langkow and Cammalleri and I think Cammalleri will get injured. Bertuzzi made there team worse. I think Calgary will finish 3rd in the division or 2nd last in the division. They barely make the playoffs with the talent they used to have. Colorado have bad goaltending but most likely Sakic will return and Foppa to. Canucks are probably the worst. Flames are overrated. I think they will make the playoffs but they will fight for it.

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:51 PM
coolwasabi

At the end of the day, the Flames have a top-5 player in Iginla and a top-5 goalie in Kipper (although he seriously sucked last year).
The NW is gonna be tight so I wouldn't rule anyone out, especially the Flames.

coolwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
The Smytty Clapper

I don't think its THAT hilarious...
I think it could be wide open.

The Smytty Clapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Unless Mats Sundin decides that Vancouver's the place to be after all, the NWD is going to be very close next year. Points-wise, there's not going to be much difference between the winner and the last-place team, so of course Calgary has a shot. Every team does.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
So with the talent Calgary had last year, they made the playoffs as the number 7th seed and finished 3rd in the division. Now when they get worse, a lot worse, people think they will do better. They have no secondary scoring. Its going to be all about Iginla, Langkow and Cammalleri and I think Cammalleri will get injured. Bertuzzi made there team worse. I think Calgary will finish 3rd in the division or 2nd last in the division. They barely make the playoffs with the talent they used to have. Colorado have bad goaltending but most likely Sakic will return and Foppa to. Canucks are probably the worst. Flames are overrated. I think they will make the playoffs but they will fight for it.
Its pretty hard to write off any team that has Iginla, Phaneuf, Regehr and Kipper.

Calgary will compete every year with those four and basically all they are needing is some young players and UFA's to out perform their contracts and they make a run.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:15 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

You know your fanbase has an inferiority complex when _______.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:17 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
As of now I say Minnesota is last and Vancouver isn't far behind and that whichever of the other three teams can cover their question-marks the best is the team that wins the division.

I have no problem saying that it's up for grabs. Calgary lacks secondary scoring, we lack a shutdown physical presence and Colorado looks to be shaky in goal and on the back end.

Quote:
Its pretty hard to write off any team that has Iginla, Phaneuf, Regehr and Kipper.
They've had those four the last two years. It's gotten them 8th and 7th with no more then 4 points up on 9th. The lack of the supporting cast they had this year, too.

I'm not saying they can't or won't win the division, I just think it'd have less to do with those players making them great and more to do with the division being worse all around (I'd argue Edmonton is the only improved team)

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:19 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
You know your fanbase has an inferiority complex when _______.
When what?? The next 19 posts refute the thread's argument.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
As mucha s I hate to admit it Calgary did fairly well last year. They didn't exactly stel the show and rule the division, but they held their own for a good chunk of the year. If Iggy repeats his performance and Cammi(or Bert) is a good winger for him they might not need secondary scoring so much as defense.

If they can roll some good shutdown lines against other teams they can still win games 1-0 or 2-1.
The Flames were arguably the division's healthiest team last year - certainly they had it much, much better in terms of injuries than EDM, VAN, and COL, and yet they still had to fight just to make the playoffs. Then they went down again in the 1st round. I would not call that a good year at all.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
theoil

Not a team in the division that couldn't win it and that includes Vancouver who so many have written off already. There is another poll over on the NHL board right now about top five goalies in the WC. Luongo, Backstrom and Kipprusoff are listed on about 90% of the posts. If Kipper & Igina play to their contracts then I have no problem seeing Calgary in the number 3 spot.

They are the most 'all the eggs in one basket' team in the west, though. Once you get past their top 10 players it is pretty much a "who?" kind of lineup for casual fans. That said their top players are top players.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:32 PM
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
They've had those four the last two years. It's gotten them 8th and 7th with no more then 4 points up on 9th. The lack of the supporting cast they had this year, too.
Agreed. And if I were a Flames fan, I'd be worried about Kiprusoff.

03/04 - .933
05/06 - .923
06/07 - .917
07/08 - .906

He's been on a consistent decline, and at 32 he isn't likely to significantly improve. If he doesn't return to form, it could be a scary season for him.

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Not a team in the division that couldn't win it and that includes Vancouver
It would take a bit of a breakout from quite a few players, but I don't disagree Vancouver shouldn't be completely written off.

Old
07-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Luongo4VP

I personally feel Kipper is overrated by CGY fans, he has declined since 2006 and still they fail to recognize it, I cant believe all those fans on that board that say that Matheiu Garon is a shaky back-up.

Phaneuf might also get around 55 points, however, I don't see him rising to the ocassion of playing well against tough opposition.

Iginla should get 90-92 Points max, I don't see him getting surpassing last year, nor do I see him scoring 50 again.

Im going to predict The Flames top 3 forwards' points if healthy:

Langkow: 67

Iginla: 92

Cammalleri: 78

Now the Oilers:

Horcoff: 80

Cole: 63

Hemsky: 83

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
I personally feel Kipper is overrated by CGY fans, he has declined since 2006 and still they fail to recognize it, I cant believe all those fans on that board that say that Matheiu Garon is a shaky back-up.

Phaneuf might also get around 55 points, however, I don't see him rising to the ocassion of playing well against tough opposition.

Iginla should get 90-92 Points max, I don't see him getting surpassing last year, nor do I see him scoring 50 again.

Im going to predict The Flames top 3 forwards' points if healthy:

Langkow: 67

Iginla: 92

Cammalleri: 78

Now the Oilers:

Horcoff: 80

Cole: 63

Hemsky: 83
I'm curious... out of the 400 posts you've accumulated here, have you managed to make a single one that didn't state how stupid you think Flames fans are?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Hemsky4PM

I'd say there are 2 teams in the NW with goaltending questions and the Oilers are one of them. Garon had a great season bolstered by a lot of shootout wins. He has something to prove still.

I'd say it's pretty wide open. Calgary and Minnesota get a bit of a benefit because they were in last season. Colorado has too many questions and the Canucks have seriously fallen.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:45 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Garon had a great season bolstered by a lot of shootout wins.
Shootout wins don't affect save percentage or goals against averages. Garon's were better then Kipper's on a worse team. If we have goaltending questions, so do the Flames.

Old
07-08-2008, 07:52 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Not a team in the division that couldn't win it and that includes Vancouver who so many have written off already. There is another poll over on the NHL board right now about top five goalies in the WC. Luongo, Backstrom and Kipprusoff are listed on about 90% of the posts. If Kipper & Igina play to their contracts then I have no problem seeing Calgary in the number 3 spot.

They are the most 'all the eggs in one basket' team in the west, though. Once you get past their top 10 players it is pretty much a "who?" kind of lineup for casual fans. That said their top players are top players.
I would hazard a guess that only two NW teams makes the playoffs this season.

At this point, my odds on favorites:

Detroit

San Jose

NW winner

Chicago

Dallas

Nashville

Minnesota

Anaheim

The Oilers, Flames, Canucks and Phoenix scrapping to beat out Minnesota and Anaheim or win the division in the case of the NW.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote