HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sprukts to return?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2008, 05:51 AM
  #26
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,986
vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Cats moved back to the Miami Arena while i wasn't looking?
Maybe he's practicing out with Worrell. Him coaching a hockey team in Miami and all. If he is well.. Stewart can kiss NHL goodbye.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:54 AM
  #27
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
I agree he may be thinking that way, but IMO if he hasn't improved his skating, that's what's going to keep him out of the NHL, at least in making the roster out of camp. He's got some skill, but seriously, he's slower than Stumpel.

LOL. Yeah, maybe we can trade Dvorak to Tampa for another 2nd round pick. We could use another potential blue chip prospect.
How is that possible??

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 04:10 PM
  #28
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
How is that possible??
Heh. Sadly, it's true.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 04:26 PM
  #29
Pukboy5kroner
Registered User
 
Pukboy5kroner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
How is that possible??
Wait till you see Stillman's wheels.


Last edited by Pukboy5kroner: 07-12-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:05 AM
  #30
oko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
You forgot, that last year Sprukts didn't sign a contract with Panthers, because it was 2-way... So, no way he will sign one this year if he do not have a spot in Florida.

Speaking of Dinamo Riga (KHL) - Sprukts have had a conversation with GM and could play for his home town team, together with national team friends, probably as a 1 line center, but..... asked for to much money. So - no deal right now.

oko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
  #31
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oko View Post
You forgot, that last year Sprukts didn't sign a contract with Panthers, because it was 2-way... So, no way he will sign one this year if he do not have a spot in Florida.

Speaking of Dinamo Riga (KHL) - Sprukts have had a conversation with GM and could play for his home town team, together with national team friends, probably as a 1 line center, but..... asked for to much money. So - no deal right now.
This isn't true. He wants one more shot at the NHL and is willing to play in the AHL. He won't get a one way deal. If he did, it would push Matthias down to Rochester, and I think Florida is pretty set on him starting in the NHL.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:00 PM
  #32
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
This isn't true. He wants one more shot at the NHL and is willing to play in the AHL. He won't get a one way deal. If he did, it would push Matthias down to Rochester, and I think Florida is pretty set on him starting in the NHL.
i agree. where would he possibly fit in the next 2 years though? i think kreps has solidified himself on the 3rd line and really is out of his depth in the top 6. you'd have to assume that matthias and weiss will occupy the top 2 C spots anyhow (certainly by next 2010).

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:43 PM
  #33
teddygmr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
when you look at Panthers' top forwards Horton, Stillman, Weiss, Zednik,Booth,Olesz...after them comes Dvorak, Kreps, Matthias, McLean, Campbell, Peltonen and I expect Sprukts will compete very well against them in training camp. If/when he makes the team he will be their biggest forward (other than Belak). Matthias is a great prospect but he would be better served playing over 20 minutes a night in ahl......lets see what happens at camp and during the pre-season games.....I think when the dust settles, Sprukts will be 3rd line center. He significantly outplayed Kreps in rochester and playing lots in finland has to have smoothed out his skating.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:53 PM
  #34
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
when you look at Panthers' top forwards Horton, Stillman, Weiss, Zednik,Booth,Olesz...after them comes Dvorak, Kreps, Matthias, McLean, Campbell, Peltonen and I expect Sprukts will compete very well against them in training camp. If/when he makes the team he will be their biggest forward (other than Belak). Matthias is a great prospect but he would be better served playing over 20 minutes a night in ahl......lets see what happens at camp and during the pre-season games.....I think when the dust settles, Sprukts will be 3rd line center. He significantly outplayed Kreps in rochester and playing lots in finland has to have smoothed out his skating.
well, yeah, that's what we heard 2 years ago and i don't doubt it but when kreps came up that season, he really stuck out. i said going into last year that he would be the #3 pivot and that's basically what happened. i don't doubt sprukts could excel against the competition in the A but kreps had the size, strength and speed to compete in the bigs last year and did. who knows why he didn't play well in the A? in any case, i wouldn't put too much stock in that comparison, though it'd be great for the team if he showed up and won a spot. i think i've mentioned this before but nhl 07 had him rated as a 90 in europe

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
  #35
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
He significantly outplayed Kreps in rochester
He may have, but Kreps significantly outplayed Sprukts in Florida. IMO Kreps just makes a better NHL player. I don't know why/how Sprukts outperformed Kreps in Rochester, but Kreps had a very good rookie season in the NHL last year, and looks to have a good future ahead of him with lots of room for improvement. Sprukts, it seems to me, will never be even a decent NHLer until he improves his skating by A LOT. AHL success doesn't necessarily translate into NHL success. I do hope he comes to camp and shows that he can contribute, it would be good for the Panthers.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:57 PM
  #36
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Kreps is more of a two-way center, suited to playing on a lower line while Sprukts is more of a scoring line center and if not playing with goal scorers looks out of place. That's likely why Kreps outperformed him in Florida but not in Rochester. For Sprukts to be effective in Florida he has to be on the second scoring line which he never was on during his call-up while Kreps would struggle there, as he did when he filled in for Weiss but did quite well on the third line. Sprukts competition for a roster spot should be with Matthias, not Kreps.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:13 PM
  #37
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Kreps is more of a two-way center, suited to playing on a lower line while Sprukts is more of a scoring line center and if not playing with goal scorers looks out of place. That's likely why Kreps outperformed him in Florida but not in Rochester. For Sprukts to be effective in Florida he has to be on the second scoring line which he never was on during his call-up while Kreps would struggle there, as he did when he filled in for Weiss but did quite well on the third line. Sprukts competition for a roster spot should be with Matthias, not Kreps.
I disagree that Kreps has to be a bottom six center to be successful. I think he definitely has 2nd line center potential. I agree that Kreps is definitely more versatile than Sprukts. And actually, Kreps played very well when he was promoted to the first line and Jokinen demoted to the thrid line late last season. It's not that he struggled playing on the Sunrise Express line, he just couldn't replace Weiss obviously, but he filled in admirably and was decent enough that the line was still somewhat effective.

I don't think Sprukts will be competing with anyone honestly unless he has really improved his skating. He didn't show much when he was called up other than that opposing players could easily catch up with him and pin him along the boards because he skates like a tortoise. Nobody's going to give a prospect like Sprukts a shot at the 2nd line right away unless they are severely decimated by injuries. He had to show something on the bottom lines first, and then if he did that, he could work his way up, like Kreps. And he didn't show much. He has skill, no doubt, but his skating is a huge hinderance for him at this level. Unless he has improved his skating by a great deal, I think both Kreps and Matthias will beat him out easily for jobs.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:32 AM
  #38
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
I disagree that Kreps has to be a bottom six center to be successful. I think he definitely has 2nd line center potential. I agree that Kreps is definitely more versatile than Sprukts. And actually, Kreps played very well when he was promoted to the first line and Jokinen demoted to the thrid line late last season. It's not that he struggled playing on the Sunrise Express line, he just couldn't replace Weiss obviously, but he filled in admirably and was decent enough that the line was still somewhat effective.

I don't think Sprukts will be competing with anyone honestly unless he has really improved his skating. He didn't show much when he was called up other than that opposing players could easily catch up with him and pin him along the boards because he skates like a tortoise. Nobody's going to give a prospect like Sprukts a shot at the 2nd line right away unless they are severely decimated by injuries. He had to show something on the bottom lines first, and then if he did that, he could work his way up, like Kreps. And he didn't show much. He has skill, no doubt, but his skating is a huge hinderance for him at this level. Unless he has improved his skating by a great deal, I think both Kreps and Matthias will beat him out easily for jobs.
Sprukts is a tremendous passer with good vision though, which is a commodity that seems to be relatively lacking on our team. With several players who have the ability to wheel and attack, aside from Weiss, we have no good playmakers who can set up the play. Someone like Sprukts could be invaluable on the powerplay if he was able to impress enough to get that role. He's very talented but I agree that his speed definitely hinders him. Hopefully he's improved it and can compete at the NHL level because he does have some 2nd/3rd line playmaking potential perhaps.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:17 PM
  #39
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
He may have, but Kreps significantly outplayed Sprukts in Florida. IMO Kreps just makes a better NHL player. I don't know why/how Sprukts outperformed Kreps in Rochester, but Kreps had a very good rookie season in the NHL last year, and looks to have a good future ahead of him with lots of room for improvement. Sprukts, it seems to me, will never be even a decent NHLer until he improves his skating by A LOT. AHL success doesn't necessarily translate into NHL success. I do hope he comes to camp and shows that he can contribute, it would be good for the Panthers.
I think Sprukts is second guessing his decision he made last year not to sign a two-way deal. He saw Kreps get the call and stay with the team because of his play & because of injuries. I think if Sprukts was the better player in Rochester he would have gotten the call before Kreps. Noone knows what he would have done with that time up here, but he definately screwed himself by not signing and at least getting a chance like Kreps. As it stands now Kreps IMO is a lock to make the team and so is Matthias, so Sprukts will have a tougher time making the team this year then he would have last year. Maybe he shows something in preseason and we can trade him for something. I remember last year Montreal really wanted him and there were rumors of a straight up deal, Ryder for Sprukts. Ryder is no longer with them but mabe we can get someone else who can help this team!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:55 PM
  #40
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I think Sprukts is second guessing his decision he made last year not to sign a two-way deal. He saw Kreps get the call and stay with the team because of his play & because of injuries. I think if Sprukts was the better player in Rochester he would have gotten the call before Kreps. Noone knows what he would have done with that time up here, but he definately screwed himself by not signing and at least getting a chance like Kreps. As it stands now Kreps IMO is a lock to make the team and so is Matthias, so Sprukts will have a tougher time making the team this year then he would have last year. Maybe he shows something in preseason and we can trade him for something. I remember last year Montreal really wanted him and there were rumors of a straight up deal, Ryder for Sprukts. Ryder is no longer with them but mabe we can get someone else who can help this team!
um, kreps got his chance last year because what he did the year before. both he and sprukts had a fairly even chance in terms of TOI to impress from what i can recall.

the difference between last year and this year is that there were 2 vet centers on the team who aren't there now. hence, the (allegedly) perceived opportunity. i'm not sure he would have had any shot at the team nor enjoyed playing in rochester during this past season so i think he made the right decision to play in europe last year, esp if he felt it was productive and he enjoyed it.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:48 PM
  #41
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Sprukts is a tremendous passer with good vision though, which is a commodity that seems to be relatively lacking on our team. With several players who have the ability to wheel and attack, aside from Weiss, we have no good playmakers who can set up the play. Someone like Sprukts could be invaluable on the powerplay if he was able to impress enough to get that role. He's very talented but I agree that his speed definitely hinders him. Hopefully he's improved it and can compete at the NHL level because he does have some 2nd/3rd line playmaking potential perhaps.
The problem is, his lack of speed is the entire problem that nullifies his skill at playmaking. A playmaking center, ideally, would be the first person into the zone on the attack, for the specific purpose that the best place for making plays from is deep in the offensive zone, even behind the net. It gives a chance for your wingers and defensemen to get into position to become scoring options, and allows the center to head for the front of the net after initiating the play to either pick up a rebound or screen the goalie.

If he's slow, he's the last one into the zone and setting plays up from above the net, facing the goalie - gives the goalie and defense plenty of time to see what's coming and head it off, the opposing forwards to backcheck and strip the playmaker of the puck, and limits the options for using your defensemen as alternate attack points.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:06 PM
  #42
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
The problem is, his lack of speed is the entire problem that nullifies his skill at playmaking. A playmaking center, ideally, would be the first person into the zone on the attack, for the specific purpose that the best place for making plays from is deep in the offensive zone, even behind the net. It gives a chance for your wingers and defensemen to get into position to become scoring options, and allows the center to head for the front of the net after initiating the play to either pick up a rebound or screen the goalie.

If he's slow, he's the last one into the zone and setting plays up from above the net, facing the goalie - gives the goalie and defense plenty of time to see what's coming and head it off, the opposing forwards to backcheck and strip the playmaker of the puck, and limits the options for using your defensemen as alternate attack points.
you're talking strictly about transition offense here. what about offense after the zone has been gained? and power play? my point is that he may actually be productive playing some guys with speed who were able to possess the puck and who had decent instincts in the offensive end (not to mention some finish). that's an opportunity he didn't get here 2 years ago.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:35 PM
  #43
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
you're talking strictly about transition offense here. what about offense after the zone has been gained? and power play? my point is that he may actually be productive playing some guys with speed who were able to possess the puck and who had decent instincts in the offensive end (not to mention some finish). that's an opportunity he didn't get here 2 years ago.
And probably still won't. Most of the game is transition for the Panthers.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
  #44
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
um, kreps got his chance last year because what he did the year before. both he and sprukts had a fairly even chance in terms of TOI to impress from what i can recall.

the difference between last year and this year is that there were 2 vet centers on the team who aren't there now. hence, the (allegedly) perceived opportunity. i'm not sure he would have had any shot at the team nor enjoyed playing in rochester during this past season so i think he made the right decision to play in europe last year, esp if he felt it was productive and he enjoyed it.
I was just implying that since he was better then Kreps at Rochester, he would have for sure been brought up and had another chance, maybe a couple of chances to prove himself with all the injuries we had throughout the year.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:39 PM
  #45
Pukboy5kroner
Registered User
 
Pukboy5kroner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I was just implying that since he was better then Kreps at Rochester, he would have for sure been brought up and had another chance, maybe a couple of chances to prove himself with all the injuries we had throughout the year.
With Brine, Glass, Larman, and Globke not showing much, one more option couldn't hurt.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:22 PM
  #46
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukboy8 View Post
With Brine, Glass, Larman, and Globke not showing much, one more option couldn't hurt.
Funny, I seem to recall people were rather impressed with Brine when he was called up - I believe the phrase "doesn't look out of place" was used, and that's not a bad compliment for a rookie in the NHL, especially one not expected to make a huge impact anyway. Glass was serviceable. Larman was a letdown but I believe he also caught the 'injury bug' last season which slowed him down.

Globke's the only one on that list that had a chance to show something and blew it after making the roster out of training camp. But I seem to recall he even stepped up his game back in Rochester at one point in the season.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
  #47
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Sprukts is a tremendous passer with good vision though, which is a commodity that seems to be relatively lacking on our team. With several players who have the ability to wheel and attack, aside from Weiss, we have no good playmakers who can set up the play. Someone like Sprukts could be invaluable on the powerplay if he was able to impress enough to get that role. He's very talented but I agree that his speed definitely hinders him. Hopefully he's improved it and can compete at the NHL level because he does have some 2nd/3rd line playmaking potential perhaps.
I agree, like I said, he has skill. But his speed is what is holding him back. And if he hasn't improved it, I don't think he'll earn a spot, and I think he'll be a rather easy cut to make.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
  #48
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I think Sprukts is second guessing his decision he made last year not to sign a two-way deal. He saw Kreps get the call and stay with the team because of his play & because of injuries. I think if Sprukts was the better player in Rochester he would have gotten the call before Kreps. Noone knows what he would have done with that time up here, but he definately screwed himself by not signing and at least getting a chance like Kreps. As it stands now Kreps IMO is a lock to make the team and so is Matthias, so Sprukts will have a tougher time making the team this year then he would have last year. Maybe he shows something in preseason and we can trade him for something. I remember last year Montreal really wanted him and there were rumors of a straight up deal, Ryder for Sprukts. Ryder is no longer with them but mabe we can get someone else who can help this team!
Well, I don't think Sprukts impressed the Panthers much at all in his time up with us in 06-07. Who's to say how training camp would have gone, but if he was in Rochester last season, I still think Kreps would have been called up before him. Sprukts has good skill, but it isn't good enough to cover for his horrible speed. He may get away with it in the AHL and in the SM-Liiga, but the NHL is a whole different ballgame. Kreps just makes a better NHLer IMO. Hopefully Sprukts has improved his speed, but if he hasn't, IMO he'll be back in Rochester.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
  #49
Pukboy5kroner
Registered User
 
Pukboy5kroner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Funny, I seem to recall people were rather impressed with Brine when he was called up - I believe the phrase "doesn't look out of place" was used, and that's not a bad compliment for a rookie in the NHL, especially one not expected to make a huge impact anyway. Glass was serviceable. Larman was a letdown but I believe he also caught the 'injury bug' last season which slowed him down.

Globke's the only one on that list that had a chance to show something and blew it after making the roster out of training camp. But I seem to recall he even stepped up his game back in Rochester at one point in the season.
I wasn't too impressed with any of them. I didn't think they were bad 4th liners, in fact I thought Glass added some energy and was a decent 4th liner in light of the fact that the Cats lacked an enforcer. I'm just saying, with all of the injuries the Cats had last year, and with all the chances the AHL guys got, giving Sprukts a shot wouldn't have hurt. If he's signed on a 2 way deal, and wants to come back and earn a possible NHL job, why not.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:24 AM
  #50
Phenomenon
Registered User
 
Phenomenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Not really.. When you are one of your teams goto guys and only get 29 points. Janne Pesonen the guy Pittsburgh signed from FEL had 78 points in 50+ games last season. And he really aint THAT special either.
True. Sprukts was more or less a some kind of a disappointment last year. Two seasons ago he made 18 goals in 35 games in the same league, so compared to that his production was not very impressive.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.