HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Vezina Wide Open

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 09:25 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

vCash: 500
Vezina Wide Open

I've been thinking about this and there has not been a single goalie this season that has played head over heels above the rest. Honestly we can compile our lists of 3 goalies that we think may get a vote for the Vez and they would probably all be different.

Taking a look some of the top teams in each conference, is there any one goalie who really stands out??

Philly - Esche has played good, but not Vezina good.
Ottawa - Lalime is not having his best year, and Prusek has been good, but hasn't played enough.
TB - Grahame is having a solid year - but the Vezina? Khabby has also been better.
TO - Belfour probably would have had a shot, but we don't know now with his
back problems.
Bos - Raycroft has been good, maybe the Calder but I don't think the Vezina.
NJ - Brodeur isn't really having a bad year, but it's not one of his best one's either.
Mon - Theodore may have received consideration, but he and the team have tailed off quite a bit of late.

Colorado - Aebischer has played better than a lot of us had expected, but His success is very hard to measure with such a great team in front of him.
Detroit - Joseph was playing well, but his hopes wen't down the drain when he got injured
San Jose - Nabakov - having a solid year, may get some votes if he keeps up his strong play
Van - Cloutier - having a good year, but the best goalie in the league he has not been.
Cal - Kiprusoff - sparkling GAA - picked up right where he left off. If Cal makes the playoffs, he will get strong consideration, may be the front runner as of now.
Dal - Turco - has slumped a bit this year.

I left off Luongo, Vokoun and Roloson because I strongly believe the Vezina should be awared to a goaile whose team made the playoffs. Out of these three teams Nash has the best shot at making the post-season and if they do, Vokoun may get some consideration.

So whose are the top three candidates?

Kiprusoff?? But he has to keep up his current pace
Nabakov?? Ditto
I can't even pick out a third out of this bunch.

When the season is all said and done, the Vezina race should be interesting.

Last edited by 774EVER: 02-18-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old
02-18-2004, 09:32 PM
the-rasta-masta

Send a message via MSN to the-rasta-masta
As well as Kipper has played, I doubt he would get much consideration because of the amount of games he played. You never know though...

Old
02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Nabokov has really been carriying his team lately, and they've been playing well.

I also think Theodore will get a hot streak that will last till the rest of the season and he'll be in the top 3 for sure.

Luongo should also get some serious consideration even if his team doesn't make the playoffs, he's just amazing...

Old
02-18-2004, 10:04 PM
DaveyCrockett

1. Luongo
2. Aebischer
3. Raycroft (Games played holding Razor back)
4. Theodore (when he pulls out of slump he will move up)
5. Nabokov
6. Denis
Brodeur is a wild card, he won it last year because of games played and wins even though Turco's stats blew. He could get chosen again for the same reasons this year. Belfour's back injury took him out of the race. Kiprusoff has ZERO chance, you aren't going to win the Vezina if you play in less than half your team's games.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
Kiprusoff has ZERO chance, you aren't going to win the Vezina if you play in less than half your team's games.
Although I don't necessarily agree with your list I do agree that Kiprusoff has little to no chance... Even if he plays everyone of Calgary's games from here on out (which is not what Calgary has in mind) he will only have played in 43 games...

Here's a list of the latest Vezina winners (since 1990) and their games played...
2003 - Brodeur 73
2002 - Theodore 67
2001 - Hasek 67
2000 - Kolzig 73
1999 - Hasek 64
1998 - Hasek 72
1997 - Hasek 67
1996 - Carey 71
1995 - Hasek 41 (shortened season)
1994 - Hasek 58
1993 - Belfour 71
1992 - Roy 67
1991 - Belfour 74
1990 - Roy 54

I don't think they could possibly award or even give serious consideration to Kiprusoff regardless of stats, he just simply would not have played enough games...

Old
02-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I don't think there is any doubt Luongo has been the best goaltender in the league this year. He has been dominate on an average team.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER
Colorado - Aebischer has played better than a lot of us had expected, but His success is very hard to measure with such a great team in front of him.
Disagree, respectfully. Anyone who has watched Aebischer throughout the season can measure his performance. It's been consistently superb. As of today, he shouldn't (and won't) win the Vezina, but he has been one of the best goaltenders in the league. And the fact that he plays behind a very good team does not degrade his performance, at all.

Except among those who punish success! Illogical!

Old
02-18-2004, 11:35 PM
Knucklez

Yeah, it's a tough one, I honestly don't know who'll get it. They'll probably just give it to Brodeur.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:01 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Despite Turco's earlier setbacks, he's easily been the Stars MVP this year. He's also going to reach Brodeur type numbers in terms of games played. In contention.
Aeibischer, despite his young age, has been superb for the Avs and has done admirably filling in Roy's skates. He probably won't get it because he's young though. Not fair, I know, but same could be said for Brodeur when he was younger.
Brodeur, near the top as usual. He's the frontrunner.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:09 AM
OBCT

Send a message via MSN to OBCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaloFan
Yeah, it's a tough one, I honestly don't know who'll get it. They'll probably just give it to Brodeur.
My thoughts exactly.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:50 AM
EaGLE1

Luongo is my choice for this year. He is the only reason why the Panthers are not in the bottom of standings with pittsburgh.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:57 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i think Theordore will get it again this year

just seems to me Theo going on a big run again

Old
02-19-2004, 01:05 AM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Brodeur will pull it together. If he doesn't, NJ will come close to missing the playoffs.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:54 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
I am hoping for Belfour myself

Old
02-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz
Although I don't necessarily agree with your list I do agree that Kiprusoff has little to no chance... Even if he plays everyone of Calgary's games from here on out (which is not what Calgary has in mind) he will only have played in 43 games...

Here's a list of the latest Vezina winners (since 1990) and their games played...
2003 - Brodeur 73
2002 - Theodore 67
2001 - Hasek 67
2000 - Kolzig 73
1999 - Hasek 64
1998 - Hasek 72
1997 - Hasek 67
1996 - Carey 71
1995 - Hasek 41 (shortened season)
1994 - Hasek 58
1993 - Belfour 71
1992 - Roy 67
1991 - Belfour 74
1990 - Roy 54

I don't think they could possibly award or even give serious consideration to Kiprusoff regardless of stats, he just simply would not have played enough games...
History does show that the winners play lots of games but...

If say he has pro-rated stats like these:
GP GAA W L T SO PCT
40 1.46 28 8 4 2 .941

It's a givin if he ends up with those numbers that the Flames will make the Playoffs so how could he be ignored? Brodeur and his 10 SO's would be the only thing holding him back!

Before people say he'll never keep up his play to post those numbers consider another interesting stat,if you take out one bad game earlier in the season agains't the Av's(Flames were brutal that night) Kippers GAA would be 1.15 and PCT would be .962...unreal numbers IMO.

Old
02-19-2004, 06:00 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Brodeur will get it just because he has become the media's new goaltending darling. Last year showed that.

Old
02-19-2004, 06:31 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I will be disappointed if Luongo doesn't get it, as he very well deserves it... anyone who has watched a Panther game can tell you that. He should also get serious consideration for the Hart, as he has most certainly been more valuable to the Panthers than any other player has been to any other team.

But what do I know, I'm just a homer!

Old
02-19-2004, 06:40 AM
FacelessButcher

Luongo and Kiprusoff look like the best choices to me right now but it's close enough I think it will go to which ever goalie wins his team the Stanley Cup

Old
02-19-2004, 06:42 AM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Luongo and Kiprusoff look like the best choices to me right now but it's close enough I think it will go to which ever goalie wins his team the Stanley Cup
Voting is done at the end of the regular season.

Old
02-19-2004, 06:44 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
Voting is done at the end of the regular season.
hmmm.. oh yeah, nm then :p
edit: bah, just give it to Luongo that guy goes through a firing squad every night

Old
02-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
hmmm.. oh yeah, nm then :p
edit: bah, just give it to Luongo that guy goes through a firing squad every night
Last I checked, Luongo faced like 34.2 shots per game, which was the third highest total over the past 10 years or so. To keep up a save percentage like his under those circumstances behind such an inexperienced defense gives him my vote for Vezina and possibly Hart as well.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:22 AM
Dropkick Alex

A little bias here, but Louongo gets my vote for the Vezina and Hart. The Hart will be close though...

Old
02-19-2004, 11:40 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouwmeester4
A little bias here, but Louongo gets my vote for the Vezina and Hart. The Hart will be close though...
i don't think you can give luongo the hart trophy if florida misses the playoffs. i mean, most valuable to his team, yeah. i do think he should get serious consideration for the vezina though

Old
02-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i don't think you can give luongo the hart trophy if florida misses the playoffs.
I agree. How quickly people forget, but two years ago, Khabibulin was easily the #1 reason Tampa won any games whatsoever, especially after St. Louis got hurt. He was very much the one guy his team couldn't do without, and he came in around 7th in Hart voting.

As for Vezina, hmm, what a tossup, very nice breakdown of it 774ever. Looking just at the numbers (trying to give games played a lot of weight) Brodeur, Aebischer and Turco all are looking good, Theo, Nabokov (7 shutouts?!?! nice) & Belfour are up there too. Belfour doing what he does at his age gets kudos from me, but all things considered, I think Brodeur's 10 shutouts might give him the edge, who knows. It's a shame Kevin Weekes doesn't have more wins, because his numbers are very good, he's having a heck of a year. He was right, he IS a starter.

Anyone pimping Kiprusoff needs to look at John Grahame's numbers.

NAME GP W L T GAA TGA SV SV% TSA SO
Miikka Kiprusoff 20 14 3 2 1.46 28 444 .941 472 1
John Grahame 23 15 6 1 1.76 39 454 .921 493 1

Pretty similar, eh? And Grahame is in no way, shape or form deserving of a Vezina nomination.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i don't think you can give luongo the hart trophy if florida misses the playoffs. i mean, most valuable to his team, yeah. i do think he should get serious consideration for the vezina though
MLB set an example last year giving A-Rod the MVP. Think about it -- Most Valuable Player, if there is a player more valuable to their team than Luongo, I would love to know about them.

I don't think he will win it, but he definately deserves consideration.

It's amazing how Grahame can get recognition for the Vezina before Luongo. Must have been a slight memory problem.

I don't remember who said it, but I remember reading that if Luongo were in ANY other city in the US, he would be a star. Have to say I agree, but of course I am biased.

Closed Thread