HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Trip to Nova Scotia/New Brunswick advice

Old
07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Pascal

vCash: 500
OT: Trip to Nova Scotia/New Brunswick advice

We're planning to go to NB and or Nova Scotia (and perhaps PEI) in a few weeks. We don't know if we should visit both of the provinces or just focus on one. We have 7-10 days and we're driving there.

Has anyone visited those 3 provinces and have recommendations on what to see and how long each place is worth a visit for?

We have travel guides but i always prefer first-hand advice.

thanks

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Souray44

Check out the cabot trail in cape breton. Takes about 3 days but its a blast.

PEI is worth the visit as well. Beaches, golfing, just a beautiful place.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Dont bother with PEI...its a tacky tourist trap...anything you see there can be seen mainland minus the bridge fare...although the Bridge is a sight to see.

Btw...I dont hate the Island...I just find that it has been let go over the years...

NS is beautiful and NB comes in second.

In NS check out the south shore (Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove) and the Cape Breton highlands...and for Acadian History, check out Grand Pre...

The acadian coast line is nice in NB...Shediac (my home town) is known for its beaches. And if you wanna party, be in town or in Caraquet on august 15th...its our equivalent to the St Jean.

Old
07-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Habeas Corpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
Check out the cabot trail in cape breton. Takes about 3 days but its a blast.

PEI is worth the visit as well. Beaches, golfing, just a beautiful place.
I strongly recommend CB and the cabot trail. Do some research on the net...

Habeas Corpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Garry Valk

Know them all well, went to university out there. I highly recommend South-Eastern NB and the Bay of Fundy...the Fundy Trail, I believe it is called, is wonderful. Very scenic, lovely drive, lots of good restaurants and sightseeing.

Nova Scotia can also be fun. The Annapolis Valley is beautiful, as is the Cabot Trail. PEI is also fun, but sometimes crowded. Check out Summerside, and if you're looking for "authentic" PEI, perhaps Georgetown.

NB has some neat sights such as Magnetic Hill and covered bridges as well. Saint John has some extremely interesting spots as well. It's one of the oldest cities in North America. Lots of British Loyalist heritage if you're interested.

Overall, I'd say focus on the Fundy Trail, SE New Brunswick (towns like Sackville are extremely beautiful and fun to explore), The Cabot Trail, Halifax, and the two places in PEI as I mentioned.

If you hit Moncton, the Pumphouse Brewery has amazing wood stove pizza, and Joey's in Sackville (between Moncton and the NS border) is definitely worth a stop. Even better pizza.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Garry Valk: 07-11-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
SerialSeb

I'm heading to the maritimes from august 1 to 10 too. Seems a lot of people will be doing that this year.

Hey Lord Chezz any recommended seafood restaurants in your hometown?
I'm pretty sure we are passing through.

Also any festivals in the area around that time?

Thanks

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Maximus Taylor

Go to Moncton, I did find it had a great feel. The francophone element there is very interesting.

Try magnetic hill! Although everybody I know told me I would be underwhelmed, I wasn't.

I enjoyed the Maritimes mainly for its general atmosphere though. No stressed like in Montréal.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:32 PM
cantwell7

vCash: 360
Cabot Trail baby .. make sure u check out " The Sea Gull " resturant ...awesome food !!

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Michael Scofield

come visit Halifax for the day. nice city, but for longer than a day it might be a drag. Citadel hill is cool, and theres the second largest harbor in the world here too

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
mbz

In the NB Moncton is probly your best bet. There are some nice restaurants and clubs and Shediac is only 15 min drive away so you can go to parlee beach wich is always full of people and its a good time. If you plan on coming later on in the summer, make sure you come for the 15th of august, they block off the main street and there are bands playing and its a pretty big party!

mbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
im going to Halifax in 2 weeks

July 24th - 27th

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Macbeth

All I can say about New Brunswick is that water there isn't as warm as advertised.

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

About 9 years ago, hubby my daughter and I headed out east with our mini-van and a small camper.

We had a map, a KOA campground book and a cell phone. I was the navigator, because I love to read maps, so I gave hubby directions while he drove. And as he drove I looked over the campground book looking for a place where we would sleep, and I would call ahead to reserve us a place at the campgrounds.

Our first stop was Shediac, NB, where we stayed for 2 nights It was lovely! We would leave the camper and drive around to little towns during the day, and returned to our camper at night.

We then crossed over the Confederation Bridge into PEI and stayed at the KOA in Cavendish. It was Spectacular!! The beach is awesome...and the water is freezing!!We stayed 4 nights and travelled the island during the day..stopping at fishing villages to eat fist-sized mussels...(heaven!), and yes, we visited The Anne of Green Gables home. The colours of that island will live with me forever.

We left PEI by ferry to Pictou, NS. We stayed at the KOA campground in Cape Breton (North Sydney / Cabot Trail) for 3 nights. Truly fantastic! The Celtic culture is truly alive and impressive.

We drove through Nova Scotia into New Brunswick with the plan of stopping at the Bay of Fundy, but hubby was rather tired by then and didn't feel like stopping.
It was a vacation I will always remember and I always recommend it to anyone that shows any interest in visiting the Atlantic provinces.

Use google to find points of interest so that you'll have an idea of where you might want to go and plan accordingly
thanx for reading...I hope you go and that you enjoy it as much as we did.
stay well
S.

ILUVTHISGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwell7 View Post
Cabot Trail baby .. make sure u check out " The Sea Gull " resturant ...awesome food !!
In ingonish...has to be one of the best restaurents in that area.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Depending what type of stuff you like to do here is the many things you may want to try.

- Drive and hike the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, best views you will find in Atlantic Canada. There are many great hiking trails in that area also.

- Visit the Fortress of Louisbourg, you will miss the reinactment but still an attraction that must be seen.

- Golf Highland Links if you are a golfer, ranked #1 course in Canada years ago and is still in the top 5.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

In N-B, Hopewell Rock is quite amazing. It's not really far from Moncton...and it's close from St-Jean. If you go there, you can see the Fundy Bay.

Don't stop in the North-West...there's nothing there. The North East is interesting with all the Acadian history. It's beautiful.

Moncton is right in the middle of these places. It could be a nice place to stop because you would be close from everything. The beach is only at 20 minutes, and PEI and NS is not far either...

So yeah, that's what I can tell you about New-Brunswick...it's nice!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:00 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
We're planning to go to NB and or Nova Scotia (and perhaps PEI) in a few weeks. We don't know if we should visit both of the provinces or just focus on one. We have 7-10 days and we're driving there.

Has anyone visited those 3 provinces and have recommendations on what to see and how long each place is worth a visit for?

We have travel guides but i always prefer first-hand advice.

thanks
MAKE sure you guys go to halifax...precisely the economy shoeshop ... a really nice bar there... 3 days in halifax is great....

...yeah moncton is nice too ...

charlottetown is probably one of the greatest cities in canada... its really nice out there ... amazing city...

n-b is cool ... like sidney ... nice city too, but man its far... nova scotia and pei.... that's what I would do...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Bjindaho

If you visit Saint John, for the love of god get a map...

It aint an easy city to navigate

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
fortress of louisburgh -20 min west of sydney - is a sight to see in cape breton its a17th century fortress
miners museum in glace bay -20 min east of sydney - they take u down into a old 19th century coal mine for a tour
Alexander Graham Bell musem in baddeck close to the seal island bridge near kellys mountian. (Route 5) 30 min north of sydney

There are several golf courses in cape breton if you love golfing
Ther are 7 windmills seen from dominon beach that is a nice pic

http://www.capebreton.worldweb.com/W...y/Campgrounds/

Gaelic College- they do concerts there -Ill seee if i can find a scheduale
http://www.gaeliccollege.edu/

Go swimming in the mira or the brasdor lakes.
http://www.destination-ns.com/common....asp?AreaID=7F

Rita macniels tea room in big pond on the narrow rout 4 highway about 40 min drive from sydney.

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 07-11-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Marco Corleone

If you golf, head to PEI.
http://www.golfpei.ca

If you like beaches, head to PEI.
Cavendish, Brackley or Greenwich.

PEI is built for summer. Always something to do.

Marco Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Black Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
In N-B, Hopewell Rock is quite amazing. It's not really far from Moncton...and it's close from St-Jean. If you go there, you can see the Fundy Bay.

Don't stop in the North-West...there's nothing there. The North East is interesting with all the Acadian history. It's beautiful.

Moncton is right in the middle of these places. It could be a nice place to stop because you would be close from everything. The beach is only at 20 minutes, and PEI and NS is not far either...

So yeah, that's what I can tell you about New-Brunswick...it's nice!
I would disagree with that since it sounds like he'll be driving through NB anyway he should stop in Grand Falls (my hometown to go visit the falls it's amazing) also the highway follows the St-John river pretty much through the NW so that makes for some very cool pictures.

Black Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Joe Lamb

I live in southern N.B. As several posters have said- don't miss Moncton,Shediac,
Hopewell Rocks, Fundy Park, etc.I just was in southwestern N.B. , an area of the province I have not spent much time in.I came away impressed. If you want to party , skip the rest of this post.But if you're an old fart,history buff,ecotourist
check out this area:Minister's Island,Isle St. Croix,Campobello Island,chocolate
museum(all you can eat for $5) for history,whale watching,Irving Nature Park,etc.
for ecotourism and sea kayaking and golfing at the Algonquin-skip the hotel cause
its way overrated.
Very beautiful area.

My 2 cents.

Joe Lamb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ozz View Post
I would disagree with that since it sounds like he'll be driving through NB anyway he should stop in Grand Falls (my hometown to go visit the falls it's amazing) also the highway follows the St-John river pretty much through the NW so that makes for some very cool pictures.
Well yeah, if he can stop for 15 minutes, it's cool...take a piss and check the falls out. I'm from Edmundston and now live in Moncton, so I saw a bit of everything, and while the falls are nice, I don't think they are that great...but it's worth a stop if he's passing by.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 06:51 PM
DieHardHabs

go to hali and get drunk man, u'll have a blast

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Iwishihadacup

one advice:stay away from WTK house, he's rabbid