HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Way OT: Sundin and Swedish Meatballs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
  #1
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,545
vCash: 500
Way OT: Sundin and Swedish Meatballs

OK, I know this is a longshot, but I just ate an awful Smart Ones Swedish Meatball meal for lunch and it got me thinking about an old interview JD did with Mats Sundin about some restaurant in NYC that Mats loved to go to when the Leafs came to town. This was years and years ago, I wish I could pin point it but I just can't remember exactly what year it was. Does anyone remember that interview, and if so, do you have any idea which restaurant they went to? I would love to get a real taste of Sweden, and don't send me to Ikea!

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
  #2
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
OK, I know this is a longshot, but I just ate an awful Smart Ones Swedish Meatball meal for lunch and it got me thinking about an old interview JD did with Mats Sundin about some restaurant in NYC that Mats loved to go to when the Leafs came to town. This was years and years ago, I wish I could pin point it but I just can't remember exactly what year it was. Does anyone remember that interview, and if so, do you have any idea which restaurant they went to? I would love to get a real taste of Sweden, and don't send me to Ikea!
I remember that!

Dont remember the restaurant name though...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:44 PM
  #3
jeff spicoli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Don't remember the intervew, but the restaurant was probably Aquavit.

jeff spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:52 PM
  #4
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,705
vCash: 500
I remember that, it was a part of JD's show that he had on MSG. I think it was Inside the Rangers with JD

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
  #5
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,642
vCash: 500
It was JD's own show, "JD on Ice"

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:30 PM
  #6
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
There's a place in midtown east, Ulrika's. It's been around for a while. I haven't been there, and hear it's a bit overpriced for what you get, but I'm told it's the most traditional Swedish food in NYC.

There's also Aquavit, but it's not strictly traditional Swedish food, but is a pretty amazing (and expensive) place to eat. You could also try the AQ Café at the Scandinavia House on Park Avenue South. There's also a chain called Smörgås Chef, which has a Norwegian head chef.

Otherwise, you could try specialty stores like Schaller & Webber, which might have some Swedish and Finnish products.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
  #7
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff spicoli View Post
Don't remember the intervew, but the restaurant was probably Aquavit.
Aquavit is Scandinavian cuisine

Marcus Samuelsson is a sick chef.

It might have been the place Sundin went to, but i think i wouldve remembered that, because its one of my favorite restaurants.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
  #8
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
There's a place in midtown east, Ulrika's. It's been around for a while. I haven't been there, and hear it's a bit overpriced for what you get, but I'm told it's the most traditional Swedish food in NYC.

There's also Aquavit, but it's not strictly traditional Swedish food, but is a pretty amazing (and expensive) place to eat. You could also try the AQ Café at the Scandinavia House on Park Avenue South. There's also a chain called Smörgås Chef, which has a Norwegian head chef.

Otherwise, you could try specialty stores like Schaller & Webber, which might have some Swedish and Finnish products.
Ulrika's sounds right--haven't been there for a while, but it's as close to traditional Swedish food as you can get these days in NYC (if it's still open--haven't been there in about 5 years).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:54 PM
  #9
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
OK, I know this is a longshot, but I just ate an awful Smart Ones Swedish Meatball meal for lunch and it got me thinking about an old interview JD did with Mats Sundin about some restaurant in NYC that Mats loved to go to when the Leafs came to town. This was years and years ago, I wish I could pin point it but I just can't remember exactly what year it was. Does anyone remember that interview, and if so, do you have any idea which restaurant they went to? I would love to get a real taste of Sweden, and don't send me to Ikea!
Hey, IKEA's meatballs are pretty good--and thanks to them opening up a store in Red Hook (Brooklyn) with a free shuttle bus, I can get there for free. They also have a killer view of the harbor and free water taxis from Manhattan. End ad for IKEA.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
  #10
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Hey, IKEA's meatballs are pretty good--and thanks to them opening up a store in Red Hook (Brooklyn) with a free shuttle bus, I can get there for free. They also have a killer view of the harbor and free water taxis from Manhattan. End ad for IKEA.
Werent people camping out at that store like 3 days in advance so they could be the first ones inside?

I never got that.

Some people are just weird.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
  #11
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,545
vCash: 500
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. This thread was half meant to see if anyone remembered that show, and half meant to find me some awesome meatballs. I think we've had success on one of those at least.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
  #12
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Werent people camping out at that store like 3 days in advance so they could be the first ones inside?

I never got that.

Some people are just weird.
They actually only allowed people to line up 48 hours before they opened--somewhere out west people waited in line for 2 weeks, so they placed the limit. They gave away free furniture to the early birds. And remember, this is their first store in NYC proper, so there are a lot of people here who have heard about IKEA, but never been to one.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
  #13
jeff spicoli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Aquavit is Scandinavian cuisine

Marcus Samuelsson is a sick chef.

It might have been the place Sundin went to, but i think i wouldve remembered that, because its one of my favorite restaurants.
Fair enough. And I agree, it is a great restaurant.

jeff spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
  #14
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,342
vCash: 500
I vividly remembered that interview, it was part of some show JD had just started on MSG.

I remember for the fact that before that interview, I hated Mats Sundin's guts. No big reason why, I guess he just always lit it up against the Rangers. And also, I had hardly ever paid attention to interviews that he gave or anything like that, so to me, I never had the "human" side of him. He was just a massive hockey player who destroyed my favorite team. After JD's interview, it struck me that this guy was actually a living person, who happened to seem like a nice guy.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:28 PM
  #15
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,031
vCash: 500
When talking about Swedish in NYC, I've heard about a café or coffee shop with Swedish pastries which is quite popular. Was reportage about in the local paper since the store owners were from Gothenburg.

My moms fella who used to work on boats and had a few stops in NY said the best place to eat Swedish food was at the Swedish seamen church.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:27 AM
  #16
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
It was definitely Ikea. They have some sick Meatballs.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:56 AM
  #17
twelve28
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
When talking about Swedish in NYC, I've heard about a café or coffee shop with Swedish pastries which is quite popular. Was reportage about in the local paper since the store owners were from Gothenburg.

My moms fella who used to work on boats and had a few stops in NY said the best place to eat Swedish food was at the Swedish seamen church.
FIKA?
http://fikanyc.com/

twelve28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:23 AM
  #18
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
It was Ulrika's. I watched that show and went to the restaurant shortly thereafter with my Dad who loves Swedish food. He gave it two thumbs up.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:26 AM
  #19
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 500
I actually loved Ikea's meatballs. They were the only Swedish one's I had though.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:37 AM
  #20
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,790
vCash: 50
If Ikea has the same meatballs over there as here, that's what swedish meatballs taste like.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:26 PM
  #21
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
If Ikea has the same meatballs over there as here, that's what swedish meatballs taste like.
They're pretty good here.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 04:55 PM
  #22
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve28 View Post
That's the one.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.