HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Krog to the Canucks

Old
07-16-2008, 08:33 PM
HipsterDufus

vCash: 500
Wow 199 posts, oops 200, over 8 pages about Jason Krog. What does that say about the state of this franchise?

HipsterDufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterDufus View Post
Wow 199 posts, oops 200, over 8 pages about Jason Krog. What does that say about the state of this franchise?
That is has a lot of die-hard fans?

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:53 AM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterDufus View Post

That it's the middle of the summer and the most boring time of the year if you are a hockey fan. Hell, people on this board will talk about anything in July.

I hear Gino Odjick is coming out of retirement.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:00 PM
nuck4life*

Krogmeister

anyone like that nickname?

if he puts up 70pts in the NHL, i will buy his jersey

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Vector

He's been suspended by the IIHF. NHL will honour the suspensions.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243662&l...s=topStory_nhl

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:26 AM
manawaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
That it's the middle of the summer and the most boring time of the year if you are a hockey fan. Hell, people on this board will talk about anything in July.

I hear Gino Odjick is coming out of retirement.
I wish, Gino is a legend....

manawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Woodrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
He's been suspended by the IIHF. NHL will honour the suspensions.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243662&l...s=topStory_nhl
edit: oops

Goes on to say:

"Until this investigation has come to its final conclusion and the IIHF has rendered its decisions, all concerned players will be suspended from international transfers and competitions," read a statement from the IIHF on Friday.

Woodrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrov View Post
edit: oops

Goes on to say:

"Until this investigation has come to its final conclusion and the IIHF has rendered its decisions, all concerned players will be suspended from international transfers and competitions," read a statement from the IIHF on Friday.
Yeah, the suspension just prevents him from competing in any of the international tournaments. Basically he wouldn't be able to join the Spengler Cup team but he wouldn't anyway.

Old
07-18-2008, 12:49 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Yeah, the suspension just prevents him from competing in any of the international tournaments. Basically he wouldn't be able to join the Spengler Cup team but he wouldn't anyway.
Yes but if the NHL wants the KHL to respect the Radulov contract with the Avs they will be forced to respect the russian teams deal with Krog (assuming he had no out clause which he says he has).

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Yes but if the NHL wants the KHL to respect the Radulov contract with the Avs they will be forced to respect the russian teams deal with Krog (assuming he had no out clause which he says he has).
Yeah, slight problem. I am not against letting Krog honour is contract in Russia. As of right now the whole thing is up in the air.

Old
07-18-2008, 01:03 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Yeah, slight problem. I am not against letting Krog honour is contract in Russia. As of right now the whole thing is up in the air.
In my post I of course meant the Preds not the Avs.

Was listening to the radio and they were talking about the Avs....

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
In my post I of course meant the Preds not the Avs.

Was listening to the radio and they were talking about the Avs....
Figured as much. Gave you enough credit to ignore it as a simple mistake.

Old
07-18-2008, 01:39 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Someone on the main board said that Krog stated in an interview that he had an out clause in his contract that gave him until August 1 to sign with an NHL team. If that's the case then I guess he'll be cleared once the IIHF investigates.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:25 PM
pitseleh

I know people are probably sick and tired of hearing about Jason Krog, but this article clears up a lot of the confusion we had over the signing.

Quote:
The Moose are so hot-to-trot for Krog, they've committed an unprecedented amount of money, should he not make Vancouver's team and be sent down to the AHL.

Krog's deal calls for a salary of close to $700,000, whether it's in Winnipeg or Vancouver. And if it's here, the Moose will pick up the bulk of the tab.

Heisinger won't say how much, but he confirmed it's more than they've ever paid a player.

"For sure it would be," Heisinger said. "He was arguably the best player in the American League last year."

With 112 points, Krog was the AHL's most valuable player last season, and another 36 points earned him the same honour in the playoffs, as he led the Chicago Wolves to the Calder Cup title.

This is new territory for the Moose, who don't typically go after, and land, the top player in the AHL.

That the Moose helped steal Krog from under the noses of their arch rivals has to feel extra good. Sure, it was a Vancouver signing, but the Moose worked alongside the Canucks on this from Day 1.

And you can be sure their offer to pick up a good chunk of Krog's contract in the minors played a role.

"We've been working the Jason Krog angle since July 1," Heisinger said. "It didn't seem like it was going anywhere, but it resurfaced and we got something done."

"He signed with the Canucks under no false pretences," Heisinger said. "He's a depth guy. If he makes it coming out of camp, hey, that's a bonus for him and for them."

And if he doesn't, that's one rather large bonus for the Moose.
So basically Heisinger and the Moose played a big role in getting Vancouver to sign him and there is a good chance he will be playing with the Moose.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Vector

Ha! That's what I've been saying all along. Sorry, slow day and I felt like bragging.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I know people are probably sick and tired of hearing about Jason Krog, but this article clears up a lot of the confusion we had over the signing.

So basically Heisinger and the Moose played a big role in getting Vancouver to sign him and there is a good chance he will be playing with the Moose.
Thanks for posting that,

I expect Grabner to have a career year playing with Krog.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:53 PM
B-rock

But doesn't he have to clear waivers if he is sent down to the Moose?

If that's the case and I'm pretty sure it is, given that it says as much in another article on the Moose site, then I find it hard to believe another team won't pick him up instantly.

B-rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
But doesn't he have to clear waivers if he is sent down to the Moose?

If that's the case and I'm pretty sure it is, given that it says as much in another article on the Moose site, then I find it hard to believe another team won't pick him up instantly.
He's over thirty years old and has cleared waivers many times before. According to one poster here (pitseleh, I believe) he would only have to clear waivers one time. I doubt any team will claim him.

Old
07-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

I wonder why not? Krog might not make the nhl, but he would be excellent to play in the AHL with the team's prospect.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:08 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

another reason why the Moose are a fantastic affiliate. Krog will do wonders for the young forwards down there, if he doesn't make the team.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler Kills Kommies View Post
I wonder why not? Krog might not make the nhl, but he would be excellent to play in the AHL with the team's prospect.
because most NHL teams will not budget for a $700K salary to be wasting in the minors.

Krog has no upside... he may be a hell of a player in the AHL, but he's on a 1-way contract, and most teams will likely pass on picking him up.

Besides, I also think there's a rule with waivers where if another team picks him up, they have to keep him on the roster for 30 days... if they send him to the minors, then the canucks are the first team that can claim him, and send him to their minors without clearing waivers again.

in the end though, I think it's his 1-way contract that will help him slide through waivers.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Peter Griffin

Seems like a pretty good deal for all parties involved. Krog gets to remain in North America and has a chance, albeit probably pretty small, of cracking the roster for his hometown team, and will make a guaranteed $700K, probably pretty close to what he signed for in the KHL. The Canucks add to their depth and although they'll have to pick up some of the tab if Krog doesn't crack their team it's likely nowhere near his full salary. And the Moose get the AHL's reigning MVP, and are clearly willing to spend the cash to secure him.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:42 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
The Moose lineup next year has potential to be something else.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 07:36 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Seems like a pretty good deal for all parties involved. Krog gets to remain in North America and has a chance, albeit probably pretty small, of cracking the roster for his hometown team, and will make a guaranteed $700K, probably pretty close to what he signed for in the KHL. The Canucks add to their depth and although they'll have to pick up some of the tab if Krog doesn't crack their team it's likely nowhere near his full salary. And the Moose get the AHL's reigning MVP, and are clearly willing to spend the cash to secure him.
Yep, for the Canucks, even assuming a 50-50 split for salary with the Moose aren't paying much more for Krog as they would be for any other top-line full time AHL forward, and it's worth that premium for the best such player and a guy who could potentially crack the roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
The Moose lineup next year has potential to be something else.
No doubt, they've really put some great pieces in place that should both help the Canuck prospects develop and give the Moose a good chance to compete for the Calder Cup. While they've lost Classen, Moran, and Fortunas, they've added two top notch AHL centers in Cullen and Krog and a great veteran presence for the defense in Baumgartner. Hopefully with continued development of the young players on the team they should be able to put together a very strong season.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Yep, for the Canucks, even assuming a 50-50 split for salary with the Moose aren't paying much more for Krog as they would be for any other top-line full time AHL forward, and it's worth that premium for the best such player and a guy who could potentially crack the roster.

No doubt, they've really put some great pieces in place that should both help the Canuck prospects develop and give the Moose a good chance to compete for the Calder Cup. While they've lost Classen, Moran, and Fortunas, they've added two top notch AHL centers in Cullen and Krog and a great veteran presence for the defense in Baumgartner. Hopefully with continued development of the young players on the team they should be able to put together a very strong season.
I thought Fortunas would be back to the Moose if he doesnt make the Dallas team, isnt it? And what are the odds for him to make it, especially with the team stacked with good defenseman? I say none.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote