HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty ranking among prospects...

Old
07-16-2008, 06:58 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
Pacioretty ranking among prospects...

I see everyone is hoping aboard his bandwagon, and is pretty much without argument our #1 prospect. My question is where do you think he ranks among all prospects from all the NHL teams who have yet to play an NHL game? is he top 50? 25?

Just curious how the posters on this board rank him compared to other teams prospects...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Fozz

I think he should be top 50 for sure but prospect rankings really doesn't mean a whole lot. It's more an exercise of who's the most popular, not who's the best prospect.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I think he should be top 50 for sure but prospect rankings really doesn't mean a whole lot. It's more an exercise of who's the most popular, not who's the best prospect.
Yes, and very few people know as much about certain prospects as they do others so it's basically just a guess

Pacioretty is the NHL's 37th best prospect!!!!!!!11111

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
couz

We have to remember that Pacioretty will be 20 this year, its not like he's junior aged anymore.

So many Hab fans can't stand Latender but when he was 19 he was already in the NHL on his way to a 16 goal season.

Anyways, I know its not a Latender thread but MaxPac in my opinion should be in the AHL this year, he's ready for that level for sure.

Having said that anything less than being one of the top forwards in his league will be a bit disapointing, he should be dominant this year.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Yes, and very few people know as much about certain prospects as they do others so it's basically just a guess

I say 32!!!!

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I see everyone is hoping aboard his bandwagon, and is pretty much without argument our #1 prospect. My question is where do you think he ranks among all prospects from all the NHL teams who have yet to play an NHL game? is he top 50? 25?

Just curious how the posters on this board rank him compared to other teams prospects...
I don't know, but I wouldn't expect him to be top 20 or so as a guess, imo what makes Pacioretty our top prospect is more about the tools he brings and the kind of game that he plays, that imo will make him more valueable to us since we so sorely lack the type of player he projects to be, whereas if he was with another organization he might not be as highly thought off. I am a huge, huge fan of Pac he has downright impressed the hell out of me this year with the way he played, the mix of size/speed/skill/strength, offensive skills, to go with a very sound physical game and solid in his own end while being a hard working player that keeps his feet moving.

I don't know his upside, as I want to see how his offensive game translates at the next level and since he hasn't really faced a high level of competition until this past season, as he wasn't a standout player in the USHS but did have a big year as a rookie in the USHL at 18 (while guys like McDonagh/Fischer/Wyman/Paquet were seeing time in the NCAA at that age) I think Pacioretty is going to be one of Timmins better picks, I don't expect him to have the flair of the Kostitsyn's but I do think he will be a fan favorite and a very solid player. But we'll see how things continue to go for him and when he goes to the next level, how he adjusts there.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:53 PM
j52

How many of the top 50 prospects have any of us watched on a regular basis to make any assessment?

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
How many of the top 50 prospects have any of us watched on a regular basis to make any assessment?
I SAID 32!

That's his ranking.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:17 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post

He's 37th according the the Hockey News before this year's draft.

http://www.zinio.com/express3?issue=...&prev=si&ncc=1

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:21 PM
znk

I couldnt care less where he's ranked.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I SAID 32!

That's his ranking.

Sit Dog!

I put him at 38th and i have more posts so my opinion matters most, naturally.

Plus my avatar is sexy.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't know, but I wouldn't expect him to be top 20 or so as a guess, imo what makes Pacioretty our top prospect is more about the tools he brings and the kind of game that he plays, that imo will make him more valueable to us since we so sorely lack the type of player he projects to be, whereas if he was with another organization he might not be as highly thought off. I am a huge, huge fan of Pac he has downright impressed the hell out of me this year with the way he played, the mix of size/speed/skill/strength, offensive skills, to go with a very sound physical game and solid in his own end while being a hard working player that keeps his feet moving.

I don't know his upside, as I want to see how his offensive game translates at the next level and since he hasn't really faced a high level of competition until this past season, as he wasn't a standout player in the USHS but did have a big year as a rookie in the USHL at 18 (while guys like McDonagh/Fischer/Wyman/Paquet were seeing time in the NCAA at that age) I think Pacioretty is going to be one of Timmins better picks, I don't expect him to have the flair of the Kostitsyn's but I do think he will be a fan favorite and a very solid player. But we'll see how things continue to go for him and when he goes to the next level, how he adjusts there.
IMO he will be a bigger Higgins and since I would take three Higgins on my team a second one will surely help us....

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:08 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Sit Dog!

I put him at 38th and i have more posts so my opinion matters most, naturally.

Plus my avatar is sexy.

oh man AAHAHAHAHAHAH funny stuff

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Erika

I would say somewhere between 35 and 45...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

Wasn't McDonagh ahead of him in the draft and rankings last year? I think some people are putting a lot of stock in an instructional camp.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
TheAntiprice*

Mcdonagh right now is probably ahead of Maxpac in all these prospect ranking lists...except for ours of course

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Wasn't McDonagh ahead of him in the draft and rankings last year? I think some people are putting a lot of stock in an instructional camp.
I think its much more than that.....

Pac passed McD on the depth chart with his play at Michigan this season; and his play at the WJC... its not just one instructional camp.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Pac passed McD on the depth chart with his play at Michigan this season; and his play at the WJC... its not just one instructional camp.
At the WJHC he was hurt and pretty much a non-factor.

By the same token, McDonagh played on a weaker team and had a good year, many felt Team USA missed the boat not taking him on the U20 team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Shabutie

Quote:

The real reason Pac is number 1 for us is cuz he fills a big void for us. A combination of Size + Skill and above all, he uses his size in every way he can. He's big and he knows it. Unlike a certain other gentleman on our team. He's got good potential, but McDonagh was seen as a Neidermayer type of guy... I'd say a top pairing Dman is more valuable than a top 6 forward.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
At the WJHC he was hurt and pretty much a non-factor.

By the same token, McDonagh played on a weaker team and had a good year, many felt Team USA missed the boat not taking him on the U20 team.
Such a non-factor that he replaced the highly touted van riemsdyk on the first line for the US in their medal round games.

Yes, he could've been better if not hurt, but he showed a lot by playing well through the pain.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Sumoki Dachiba

Quote:
Such a non-factor that he replaced the highly touted van riemsdyk on the first line for the US in their medal round games.

Yes, he could've been better if not hurt, but he showed a lot by playing well through the pain.
No disrespect to Pachioretty but you have to admit that as soon as Van Riemsdyk switched lines his new one automatically became the first line.

It does, however, show that the US coaches had enough confidence in MaxPac to select him to fill in for JVR and keep that line going. Which is quite a compliment.

Sumoki Dachiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:13 PM
goalchenyuk

stronger than Charra
Faster than Coffey
better ,more physical than Lindros - BUT with an IQ over 100
Hands better than Kovalev's
hockey sense superior to Michel Bergeron
Legs even more sexy than Tina Turner's legs
Balls bigger than the ones of Tiger wood
French language more fluide than Rejean Tremblay

Hates the Leafs , the Bruins and Bettman...

the complete package !

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 01:54 AM
saskhab

You're all crazy. McDonaugh is still better. He's a rare breed of d-man... MaxPac doesn't project well into a dominating player, just a very good complimentary player. McDonaugh has that X-factor to control a game.

I like both prospects, but McDonaugh is the stud.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:40 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
You're all crazy. McDonaugh is still better. He's a rare breed of d-man... MaxPac doesn't project well into a dominating player, just a very good complimentary player. McDonaugh has that X-factor to control a game.

I like both prospects, but McDonaugh is the stud.
So what about McDonagh makes you think he's a stud defensemen? What X-factor is it that he has?

btw, there's no need to call people crazy for having opinions that are very close. Some like Pac more some like McDonagh more, both are our top 2 prospects so it's not far fetched that some will like one more then the other, especially when one was the CCHA rookie of the year, after being rookie of the year the previous season w/his USHL team.

Quote:
I don't put ANY stock in a development camp, I stopped going to them because they are kind of boring (plus it's hard to get off work and I live in the states so it's a long drive) I prefer watching them in game action.

As for draft rankings, they don't mean much down the road, that's why you see guys in the NHL that are 7th, 8th, 9th round picks that end up better then many guys taken in the first round. Personally I think people put too much stock in where a player is drafted.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote