HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timmins - Pacioretty is "head and shoulders" above his peers

Old
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Megaforce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
playing LW will eventually lead to bad habits (trailing, always looking for the onetimer, always last to enter zone, etc...)
Left wingers also tend to vote for the NDP and the Green Party. Gotta keep an eye on 'em.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 05:18 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I would make Lats a RW simply because it's going to force him to hustle more and work on his skating. I find that if you're a slow player, playing LW will eventually lead to bad habits (trailing, always looking for the onetimer, always last to enter zone, etc...)
As a lefty I always prefered playing right wing. I found it a lot easier to cut arround a D while protecting the puck with my left arm then I just had to bring the puck back and I had a good shot with a great angle. You have to be super speedy to do it on your natural side and I dont think Lats has that speed. Playing on your off wing you also have a much better angle on rebounds.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Alfie Turcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Left wingers also tend to vote for the NDP and the Green Party. Gotta keep an eye on 'em.

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:52 PM
znk

So if the Habs were to sign him when would this happen?

Old
07-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It would not be smart for the Habs to push Pacioretty, let him have a dominant year in NCAA, if he seems to have nothing left to prove there, start him AHL the following year. If Detroit proves anything it's that you're better off being patient with prospects especially with a salary cap.

It would be very dumb for the Habs to give Pacioretty a spot ahead of Lats before even giving Lats a real shot. he's scored a lot of goals the last 2 years playing mostly with 3rd and 4th liners, nobody deserves a chance with better players more than him.
Thing is there's a really strong chance that despite Pacioretty being better and stronger that he won't be as dominant as he was last year. He will be playing with Rust and Palushaj, good player but definatley not at the Porter-Kolarik level, 2 seniors that played great in the playoffs in the AHL immediatley after Michigan was beaten. As far as having something to learn or not, you do know that despite what will happen, Pacioretty is NOT staying in Michigan after his 2nd year. Most think he's ready now so he's not going to stay there for 3 years.

True that Lats deserves a better chance and it will start this year. Lats needs some PP time but he needs to prove that he deserves it. It's this year that will tell you if MaxPac deserves to surpass Lats next year. If Lats improvese and racks up the points, first, at great as MaxPac looks in dev. camps, he should be way behind Lats who will have 3 NHL years of experience ahead of him.

I do remember Lats just purely dominating rookie camps.....but then didn't look so great in the regular camp....So before MaxPac surpasses Lats if it happens, it means 1 more year in College for Max Pac and at least 1 year in the AHL. So in 3 years, Pac will have a shot in the NHL. If Lats didn't made a name for himself then, he has only himself to blame and MaxPac should surpass him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
He'd get paid to play hockey.

In all seriousness, he'd be able to play in Hamilton or Montreal. That is it.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:34 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
He'd get paid to play hockey.

In all seriousness, he'd be able to play in Hamilton or Montreal. That is it.
I asked when...

Old
07-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Evil Ted

Perfect replacement for Latendresse IMO.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
I asked when...
/me can't read

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Yeah... the perfect successor to an old scrouge of 21 years old

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:35 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thing is there's a really strong chance that despite Pacioretty being better and stronger that he won't be as dominant as he was last year. He will be playing with Rust and Palushaj, good player but definatley not at the Porter-Kolarik level, 2 seniors that played great in the playoffs in the AHL immediatley after Michigan was beaten. As far as having something to learn or not, you do know that despite what will happen, Pacioretty is NOT staying in Michigan after his 2nd year. Most think he's ready now so he's not going to stay there for 3 years.

True that Lats deserves a better chance and it will start this year. Lats needs some PP time but he needs to prove that he deserves it. It's this year that will tell you if MaxPac deserves to surpass Lats next year. If Lats improvese and racks up the points, first, at great as MaxPac looks in dev. camps, he should be way behind Lats who will have 3 NHL years of experience ahead of him.

I do remember Lats just purely dominating rookie camps.....but then didn't look so great in the regular camp....So before MaxPac surpasses Lats if it happens, it means 1 more year in College for Max Pac and at least 1 year in the AHL. So in 3 years, Pac will have a shot in the NHL. If Lats didn't made a name for himself then, he has only himself to blame and MaxPac should surpass him.
How soon do we forget...The reason why Lats made the NHL so early was because of his great trainning camps with the big club. He was among the best players in camp and the best rookie. He even beat AKost for a spot 2 years ago. I love his hands and hes a natural goal scorer, patience will pay off in the long run with him.

Last edited by jcpenny: 07-12-2008 at 11:43 PM.
jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:38 PM
znk

Quote:
complement ? is that the word you were looking for?

Old
07-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
How soon do we forget...The reason why Lats made the NHL so early was because of his great trainning camps with the big club. He was among the best players in camp and the best rookie. He even beat AKost for a spot 2 years ago. I love his hands and hes a natural goal scorer, patience will pay off in the long run with him.
He doesn't play with that intensity anymore, I don't understand why

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:43 AM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
I doubt seriously that Pacioretty has the hands and skill of Getzlaf wich are elite... but I am sure he has all the work ethic and intensity. I would like to Max with the dogs..
Then you haven't watched him play very much

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
He doesn't play with that intensity anymore, I don't understand why
Personally Gui can't play rough, cause he's a sensible guy. He's not the kind of guy that hits people to injure them, I remember when he fought Nolan Pratt he was asking the referees if he was ok.
It's sad to face the fact that Guillaume dosn't have the guts to be a powerforward.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Get a clue.

Would you have traded Doan too?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
I'm not forgetting anything. He was DOMINATING the dev. camps and the rookie camps. Not just doing great. It was that "man amongst boys" sometimes maybe even more than what Max Pac had demonstrated.

So my comments about "not doing so great" was that while he was doing a good job with his intensity and his hitting, he wasn't obviously dominating anybody. And in the end it came to AKost versus Lats while tons of people didn't agree at the time about choosing Lats over him. While tons of reasons have been said already, we also know that Lats could have been picked 'cause of the fact that he was bringing something to the team that we didn't have. An offensive presence with a body like him.

But my point is mostly, it's not because you dominante in dev. camp and rookie camp that you'll do great the same year or even the year after at the big camp. Some could be able, but some will still need seasoning. And while at this time I'm obviously ready to give Lats all the chance in the world to succeed 'cause we can't lose an interesting prospect like him, you can't say that the kid would not have needed at least 1 season in the AHL. How many rookies do great even in regular camps but still have to get some seasoning in the minors to then be called back in the same year?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Personally Gui can't play rough, cause he's a sensible guy. He's not the kind of guy that hits people to injure them, I remember when he fought Nolan Pratt he was asking the referees if he was ok.
It's sad to face the fact that Guillaume dosn't have the guts to be a powerforward.
That's what i have been saying for a long time but a lot of people here ragged me on and on about it. I always said if Lats can't find that fire inside of him he'll be a Kilger-like player who will never go beyond 3rd line duties.

He's a teddy bear.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:33 AM
sampollock

can't wait for a kid like this to come in, and give the habs, that big guy on the wing

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Lats is young, he'll get the "guts" as he grows as a player. He's still getting used to NHL speed, once he gets comfortable he'll playing more of that physical game of his. It's really not a question of intensity or having "lost" his intensity, it would make no sense to be honest.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:56 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Get a clue.

Would you have traded Doan too?

You can't seriously compare Lats to Doan.

The habs made a mistake with Lats; he still has plenty of upside but he is not shown upside of a top 6 forward. He was rushed into the league and should have played at least one year in the AHL.

He is expendable, but I would give him at least this year to develop, but there are youngsters knocking on the door.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:26 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
I'm not forgetting anything. He was DOMINATING the dev. camps and the rookie camps. Not just doing great. It was that "man amongst boys" sometimes maybe even more than what Max Pac had demonstrated.

So my comments about "not doing so great" was that while he was doing a good job with his intensity and his hitting, he wasn't obviously dominating anybody. And in the end it came to AKost versus Lats while tons of people didn't agree at the time about choosing Lats over him. While tons of reasons have been said already, we also know that Lats could have been picked 'cause of the fact that he was bringing something to the team that we didn't have. An offensive presence with a body like him.

But my point is mostly, it's not because you dominante in dev. camp and rookie camp that you'll do great the same year or even the year after at the big camp. Some could be able, but some will still need seasoning. And while at this time I'm obviously ready to give Lats all the chance in the world to succeed 'cause we can't lose an interesting prospect like him, you can't say that the kid would not have needed at least 1 season in the AHL. How many rookies do great even in regular camps but still have to get some seasoning in the minors to then be called back in the same year?
I ws just reacting to the comment you made about Lats not doing too well in the main trainning amp with the big boys which wasnt true. Lats made big impressions in the main trainning camp much like he had done in the dev. camp. The progression has been harder than expected for him.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:29 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Imo MaxPac is already a better player than Latendresse. MaxPac is our "Patrice Bergeron", the kind of player that has a game that translates really well to the NHL. Imo he could play a more physical Max Lapierre type of game and chip more points (than Lapierre).

Latendresse lacks motivation and is a step behind in the NHL. His only asset is his good shot.

It's a reflex that we have to say the guy needs to develop and spend time in the minor leagues but it's not always the case. There's no need to rush him, but if he's ready he should make the jump. We shouldn't bury him in the minors just because we think every player has to spend 3-4 years developping.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:29 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Hard to say since they can sign him at any time. If the Habs want to sign him, then they will let it be known through his advisor who will then go to Pacioretty and give his thoughts on if he should consider taking the offer or return to Michigan. In talking with some Michigan fans recently they felt Pac would be next year and that he had told his teamates he'd be back (which may or may not be true just what I was told)

Since college usually starts around the first week of september, with some schools starting the week before and some the week after, don't know when Michigan U opens the fall semester but it's likely during that 3 week period. My opinion would be that he would be that if he was going to be signed it would be before then but if not and he returns to school, he can leave at anytime although it's rare to see someone leave mid term, that is until this past season when Trotter and Okposso did it.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:35 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Hard to say since they can sign him at any time. If the Habs want to sign him, then they will let it be known through his advisor who will then go to Pacioretty and give his thoughts on if he should consider taking the offer or return to Michigan. In talking with some Michigan fans recently they felt Pac would be next year and that he had told his teamates he'd be back (which may or may not be true just what I was told)
The Habs brass said that if he wants to make the jump, they're ready to sign him now. So I guess MaxPac is still pondering with his advisor whether he should take a chance this year or wait next year. Considering the potential openings available at the next camp (2009), imo he would be wise to sign and at least play in the AHL. If he doesn't make the team this year, then he would have excellent chances to play the whole season in Montreal the year after.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote