HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

And the youngest team in the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 01:13 AM
BG43

vCash: 500
And the youngest team in the NHL

.. are the Buffalo Sabres.

They showed the numbers during the Sabre/Panther game this evening on Empire...

And the numbers were

1. Buffalo...... 25 years 291 days
2. Florida....... 26 years 363 days

I didn't get a chance to copy down the rest.. they only showed the 5 youngest teams but I know there was some discussion on here as to which team was in fact the youngest.. some people said Pittsburgh and Florida.. but that is apparently the numbers for this season.

I don't really know what to say about that because being young does have it's benefits and drawbacks. It's nice to play with young team full of energy and speed but they often lack the experience that is important in being successful. Zhitnik is the only current Sabre in the lineup over 30 years (he's 31)..

Dallas, Toronto and Detroit are some of the oldest teams in the NHL and some of the better ones at that. I think once a team matures a little then they will do a lot better in the standings and in the playoffs. I definately think that age brings leadership and a different element to the team. That's why these young teams don't have the best records.. but I think they will be really solid in a couple years.

I believe the Canucks were the youngest team in the playoffs last year, correct me if I'm wrong. Which is nice and I think the experience that they gained from that will only help them do better this year.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Thalia

I REALLY hope the Sabres make the playoffs this year.

I don't follow the east too much, so if the Sabres managed to make it, I wonder who's out.

List of the probable 8 playoff teams in the east?

Old
02-19-2004, 01:21 AM
BG43

Thanks Thalia. I hope so too..

Here are the Eastern Conference standings..

1. Philadelphia 78
2. Ottawa 76
3. Tampa Bay 72
4. Toronto 76
5. Boston 75
6. New Jersey 72
7. Montreal 64
8. NY Islanders 64

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Buffalo 60
10. Atlanta 54
11. Florida 54
12. NY Rangers 53

If Buffalo makes it.. it will probably be at the expense of the Canadiens..

Old
02-19-2004, 01:22 AM
Oilers Hockey

Edmonton was the youngest team in the playoffs last year. And probably one of the youngest teams right now although I'm sure Oates made that number rise a bit. :p

Old
02-19-2004, 01:24 AM
BG43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Edmonton was the youngest team in the playoffs last year. And probably one of the youngest teams right now although I'm sure Oates made that number rise a bit. :p
Edmonton? Oh okay.. I thought I heard it was Vancouver.. but a Western Canadian team no less. I definately think it's awesome to have a young team.. but I think experience and veterans are equally important to a team.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:29 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I would think the Tampa Bay Lightning are in the running there also.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Edmonton was 3rd youngest last year (Buffalo and Florida were 1 and 2) and the oilers got younger at the deadline (if it wasn't for Oates) that number would be around the same

edit: i hope Buffalo and Montreal makes the playoffs

Old
02-19-2004, 03:14 AM
NYI-7

Updated Eastern standings.

1. Flyers 78pts
2. Leafs 76
3. TB 72
4. Sens 75
5. Bruins 75
6. Devils 72
7. Isles 66
8. Habs 64

9. Sabres 61
10. Florida 55

Old
02-19-2004, 03:28 AM
Meatwad

I think the youngest teams in the playoffs last year were minnesota, edmonton and tampa bay

Old
02-19-2004, 03:32 AM
The Hamburglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI-7
Updated Eastern standings.

1. Flyers 78pts
2. Leafs 76
3. TB 72
4. Sens 75
5. Bruins 75
6. Devils 72
7. Isles 66
8. Habs 64

9. Sabres 61
10. Florida 55
Sens got 76

Old
02-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Hammerwise

It would be more impressive for Buffalo to have the youngest team, if they had huge impact players, but their best players at every position bar goaltending are older vets: Drury, Brown at center, (though Roy and Briere are a good 2nd and 3rd), Kotalik and Pyatt look like keepers but not stars, Satan is still the best winger. On defense McKee is a year older, Zhitnik is almost gone and Campbell/Kalinin aren't going to be stars.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:55 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BironsGirl43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Buffalo makes it.. it will probably be at the expense of the Canadiens..
that'd be ok with me!

Old
02-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise
It would be more impressive for Buffalo to have the youngest team, if they had huge impact players, but their best players at every position bar goaltending are older vets: Drury, Brown at center, (though Roy and Briere are a good 2nd and 3rd), Kotalik and Pyatt look like keepers but not stars, Satan is still the best winger. On defense McKee is a year older, Zhitnik is almost gone and Campbell/Kalinin aren't going to be stars.
This post is down right scary.

Drury and Brown, "older Vets" are 27 and 28.

The oldest D man outside of James Patrick is Zhitnik at 31 and Satan is all of a whopping 29 and listed as the oldest forward currently.

Mckee must be feeling worn down by now at 26.

The Sabres are a young up and comming team. They may not have the big names of other young teams, but are as close if not closer to competeing than CBJ, Atlanta and Florida.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Hammerwise

Yes, but this post makes it seem like they are very young and up and coming. I'm not saying they're old, I'm simply saying their major or best players aren't up and comers anymore. They are a known commodity. As I pointed out Briere, Roy, Kotalik, etc... are solid but none look to be IMPACT players, like a Nash or a Pitkanen or a Datsyuk or a Spezza or a Staal.
Can you honestly say with the current lineup that they can be tons better? No. Ryan Miller and a few other prospects could help, but their major players probably won't be around at that point anymore.
This post is about who is the youngest team at the moment and true Buffalo is the youngest at the moment, and may get a lot younger at the deadline if they move a Zhitnik or Satan, but my point is that the youth they have in BUFF at the moment isn't that impressive.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:00 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
average predator age = 26 years and 306 days

average calculated by me straight from nashvillepredators.com

When we had a few injuries earlier on, I bet our average team age was closer to 25 years

Last edited by crossxcheck: 02-19-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old
02-19-2004, 11:48 AM
HF2002

Is there an official stat on this age thing? I've seen a similar stat earlier this year that said Florida and Buffalo as the two youngest, and this one had Ottawa at #3. I guess adding Bondra moves them up a bit...

Ottawa's main players are all young, with Alfredsson being the only guy 30 or over.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:07 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Is there an official stat on this age thing? I've seen a similar stat earlier this year that said Florida and Buffalo as the two youngest, and this one had Ottawa at #3. I guess adding Bondra moves them up a bit...

Ottawa's main players are all young, with Alfredsson being the only guy 30 or over.

I hope Sens to win the cup if not the Canucks! and possibly get a dynasty going winning 3 out of 5 of 4 out of 7 cups in the next 10 years. (if they keep the team together under new CBA!! )

Canucks, on the other hand, would revolve around backbone of Jovo/Ohlund, and front of Bert/Sedins. Still decent I'd say, although no where as impressive as Sens' pool. (how deep can you get with Hossa/Alf/Havlat/Spezza/Schaefer/White/Bonk as your core with all of them are at 30 or younger!! plus with all the other abover average 3rd/4th liners + deep talent pool coming up!)

Not to mention a very modest team salary!!!!

Great franchise!!!

Old
02-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Hammerwise

BELIEVE IT OR NOT

On opening night, the Pittsburg Penguins had the oldest team in the league, and that was with Fleury in net.

Its a stat that is meaningless if done 1 night at a time, but over an entire season means alot more.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Yes, but this post makes it seem like they are very young and up and coming. I'm not saying they're old, I'm simply saying their major or best players aren't up and comers anymore. They are a known commodity. As I pointed out Briere, Roy, Kotalik, etc... are solid but none look to be IMPACT players, like a Nash or a Pitkanen or a Datsyuk or a Spezza or a Staal.
Can you honestly say with the current lineup that they can be tons better? No. Ryan Miller and a few other prospects could help, but their major players probably won't be around at that point anymore.
This post is about who is the youngest team at the moment and true Buffalo is the youngest at the moment, and may get a lot younger at the deadline if they move a Zhitnik or Satan, but my point is that the youth they have in BUFF at the moment isn't that impressive.
I agree with you to a point. Part of the problem is untill last draft (Vanek looks to be a good one so far) the Sabres have not beent drafting high enough to get players like Nash, Heatly, Spezza, ect.

The Sabres may not have a "top end guy", but outside of Brodure and Nieds, the Devils lack top end guys as well, but have a solid team from top to bottom. I think the Sabres could have a very solid 4 line team in the next couple of years (though I'm not saying they will, but I like the start of things). Hopefully for them one of the Keepers takes the #1 tag and runs with it so they can move an asset for help elsewhere.

Five years ago they where in the cup finals, now they have a young core and look like they will only get better from here. Things could be worse (see the Blackhawks. Pens, Caps, or Rangers).

Old
02-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
If we didn't have the depth that we do, you'd see a guy by the name of Vanek in the lineup playing a top 6 role, and probably producing decent numbers. Besides Vanek, we never had the opportunity to snag a top 5 pick, like a Nash, Spezza, Staal or Pitkanen. Over the last few years we have been average at best, but never in the basement.
I think you need to do some research on the following young prospects that Buffalo has:
Ryan Miller (1980)
Derek Roy (1983)
Tomas Vanek (1984)
Daniel Paille (1984)
These guys have been IMPACT players at every level so far. These guys have all earned major hardware.

...sure Roy and Paille are not run and gun offensive stars but the future looks very, very bright for the Sabres with these kids. Not to mention the young players already making an impact in the league-Kalinin, Noronen, Roy, Afinogenov ++++
BTW, watch Danny Briere and tell if he makes an IMPACT on the ice.
As far as Spezza and Datsyuk are concerned, the team and the system they play in are major contributers to their success. Look at Staal, one helluva player but unfortunately is playing on Carolina and has 24pts in 58 games. If that kid got a top 6 role on Ottawa or Detroit his numbers would be much improved IMO.

I'd rather have the Sabres situation with a heap of depth, 8 or more possible 20 goal scorers in any given season. I had a friend who told me that after Hasek left we'd be looking towards 5 years of HELL. I'm glad to say that this organization has done a heck of a job turning this team around rather quickly, doing so with quality trades and grooming the likes of Kalinin, Tallinder, Dumont, Afino, Kotalik, Roy into good contributors to our modest success this year.

If there is one player who needs to step up it's Taylor Pyatt, and when it's all said and done this 22 yo could be the best of the entire bunch.

For being the youngest team in the NHL, I think we could make a top seed in the playoffs shake in their boots. If this team stays together for a few more years we should be a scary team.

Sincerely,

A content Buffalo Sabres Fan.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:59 PM
craig1

Pittsburgh's average age is skerew because it carries a couple of vets close to 40 in Bergevin, Buchberger, Eastwood and Lemieux. If you took the first three + Holzinger off of the roster, (and that's likely by the time the deadline passes) and do not include Lemieux (IR) the average age drops dramatically.

Current: 27.30 years Hard to imagine that being one of the oldest

After deadline (likely): 24.8 years

Old
02-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BironsGirl43
.. are the Buffalo Sabres.

They showed the numbers during the Sabre/Panther game this evening on Empire...

And the numbers were

1. Buffalo...... 25 years 291 days
2. Florida....... 26 years 363 days

I didn't get a chance to copy down the rest.. they only showed the 5 youngest teams but I know there was some discussion on here as to which team was in fact the youngest.. some people said Pittsburgh and Florida.. but that is apparently the numbers for this season.

I don't really know what to say about that because being young does have it's benefits and drawbacks. It's nice to play with young team full of energy and speed but they often lack the experience that is important in being successful. Zhitnik is the only current Sabre in the lineup over 30 years (he's 31)..

Dallas, Toronto and Detroit are some of the oldest teams in the NHL and some of the better ones at that. I think once a team matures a little then they will do a lot better in the standings and in the playoffs. I definately think that age brings leadership and a different element to the team. That's why these young teams don't have the best records.. but I think they will be really solid in a couple years.

I believe the Canucks were the youngest team in the playoffs last year, correct me if I'm wrong. Which is nice and I think the experience that they gained from that will only help them do better this year.
I am pretty sure this is at the current moment. With Weiss (20), Bouwmeester (20) and Horton (18), the Panthers are the youngest team, but since they are all out of the lineup with injuries, they aren't included.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Look at Staal, one helluva player but unfortunately is playing on Carolina and has 24pts in 58 games. If that kid got a top 6 role on Ottawa or Detroit his numbers would be much improved IMO.
Actually, I think it's pretty decent for Staal to have even stuck! I've not seen an 18 year old player jump into the league and produce a big time amount of points in a long time. Nash put up 39 his rookie season. In my assumption, Bergeron will put up 45 or so. Spezza didn't even make the league as an 18 year old on a stacked Ottawa squad, and somehow 24 points for Staal isn't fantastic?! :p

On his 1997-98 season, Joe Thornton had only 7 points in 55 games in a lockerroom that housed such names as Bourque, Allison, Samsonov, Carter, and Heinze when he was still pretty productive. It had very little to do with the system, and more to do with the fact that 18 year old players take a season or two to progress. Staal is on pace to put up mirror numbers to Thorton's second season already.

I know this is a bit off topic, but it kind of bothers me when people assume that simply because of skill, an 18 year old player should come in and produce a point per game. It takes time people! As for the Detroit or Ottawa top 6 comments, who with an ounce of skill wouldn't produce better with all that talent? However, the down side is the fact that if Staal played for Ottawa, he might be in Peterborough this season playing with the Petes. I'd think it was the best thing for his production to be playing at an NHL level right now, because he's certainly ready.

/end rant

Old
02-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Actually, I think it's pretty decent for Staal to have even stuck! I've not seen an 18 year old player jump into the league and produce a big time amount of points in a long time. Nash put up 39 his rookie season. In my assumption, Bergeron will put up 45 or so. Spezza didn't even make the league as an 18 year old on a stacked Ottawa squad, and somehow 24 points for Staal isn't fantastic?! :p

On his 1997-98 season, Joe Thornton had only 7 points in 55 games in a lockerroom that housed such names as Bourque, Allison, Samsonov, Carter, and Heinze when he was still pretty productive. It had very little to do with the system, and more to do with the fact that 18 year old players take a season or two to progress. Staal is on pace to put up mirror numbers to Thorton's second season already.

I know this is a bit off topic, but it kind of bothers me when people assume that simply because of skill, an 18 year old player should come in and produce a point per game. It takes time people! As for the Detroit or Ottawa top 6 comments, who with an ounce of skill wouldn't produce better with all that talent? However, the down side is the fact that if Staal played for Ottawa, he might be in Peterborough this season playing with the Petes. I'd think it was the best thing for his production to be playing at an NHL level right now, because he's certainly ready.

/end rant
First off all, I don't expect Staal to be averaging a point per game. He has done well, I agree, but if he was playing a top 6 role on a team like Ottawa or Detroit his numbers would be,IMO, higher than a guy like Bergeron in Boston. And as you said, if Carolina were any good, Staal wouldn't be playing in the bigs, or definetly not a top 6 role. As far as the comparison with Thornton goes, I'd like to know how many minutes he was playing, especially PP mins.

Either way my original post was not intended to discredit Staal, but moreso to show that I'd rather have a "bunch" of young players and be competitive than have 1 or 2 marquee names to be excited about while losing on a consistant basis. The original post I replied to basically said that Buffalo has no up and coming youngsters to be really excited about.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:56 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
First off all, I don't expect Staal to be averaging a point per game. He has done well, I agree, but if he was playing a top 6 role on a team like Ottawa or Detroit his numbers would be,IMO, higher than a guy like Bergeron in Boston. And as you said, if Carolina were any good, Staal wouldn't be playing in the bigs, or definetly not a top 6 role. As far as the comparison with Thornton goes, I'd like to know how many minutes he was playing, especially PP mins.

Either way my original post was not intended to discredit Staal, but moreso to show that I'd rather have a "bunch" of young players and be competitive than have 1 or 2 marquee names to be excited about while losing on a consistant basis. The original post I replied to basically said that Buffalo has no up and coming youngsters to be really excited about.
I agree with what you are saying. Although I am called a homer when I say it. The team surrounding a player has A LOT to do with how well that player does. For example, put Luongo on the Avs and he would be leading the league in every goaltending category.

Closed Thread