HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone catch Lowe's interview w/ Miller during the 1st intermission?

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Anyone catch Lowe's interview w/ Miller during the 1st intermission?

Not a whole lot to it, a couple of notes...

-When asked straight out if he was a buyer or seller at this point of the playoff 'race', Lowe hedged and said he was in evaluation mode. This team must drive him starkers with how it teases with contention. It seems like he's waiting for this team to get closer to the pack before he deems it prudent to make a 'buyer' move. His decisions probably would've been made a lot easier to make if his team had lost big tonight. Instead they won big and showed tons of character in the win.

-I found most interesting his reaction to Miller's question about Brewer's struggles after making the Olympic team. Maybe I'm wrong, but Lowe seemed almost sheepish talking about Brewer and how people maybe expected too much of him from an offensive standpoint. He talked up his 25 minutes/night stability and that he's still a young guy, but IMO he didn't sound too convinced of his own words.

He certainly sounded a lot different than the guy showering praise on Brewer a couple of years ago.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Allan

I got the impression that he had given up on Brewer as an offensive presence. I think he still has faith in him, just that he sees him more as a one-way guy, which is not what he was hoping for.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:05 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I got the impression that he had given up on Brewer as an offensive presence. I think he still has faith in him, just that he sees him more as a one-way guy, which is not what he was hoping for.
Agreed. Lowe seems resigned to Brewer's development into a solid d-man without the offensive upside many projected. Not that it is a bad thing, just readjusting the expectations.

Very fluffy interview by Gord Miller. He came across imo as a starstruck school reporter talking with his idol. Which might have been the case given Miller's Edmonton roots.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:18 AM
GorillazXL

Yeah I got the impression Lowe wasn't as huge on Brewer as he was other years prior. Personally I think you will see a much better Brewer once goaltending becomes a little more stable, and there's a plan for the power play.

GXL

Old
02-19-2004, 03:52 AM
Magnus

What I don't understand is why people ever thought Brewer was supposed to be an offensive defenceman to begin with. He has never put up big numbers, even in junior. His scouting report from his draft year listed him as a big, mobile defenceman who can make a good first pass out and that's exactly what he is. He's a good skater and has the ability to rush the puck up ice at times but he's never been a powerplay quarterback type. I'm not sure where these expectations came from.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:57 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
He's a good skater and has the ability to rush the puck up ice at times but he's never been a powerplay quarterback type. I'm not sure where these expectations came from.
Yup, when he gets some open ice up the middle, he can really fly - and he's hard to check too, when he gets going like that. When he wants to, he can crush guys with a hipcheck against the boards, flatten them in the open ice, or clear out the front of the net. He has a decent wrist shot and can get the puck on net, but he's no Paul Coffey. (On the other hand, I haven't seen him score an own-goal either, so maybe it evens out. )

I like Brewer, I wish he'd get more of a break than he does. Lowe still has confidence in him, at least - that much is clear, and I trust Lowe to have more dman judging ability in his pinky finger than most fans.

(Edited to say that I realize Brew isn't perfect - note the "When he wants to" keyphrase. He's been playing much better the second half than he was the first, I think.)

Old
02-19-2004, 10:23 AM
MrMackey

I don't live in Edmonton, so I don't get to hear the radio talk shows, and Miller & McQuire's mention of Brewer getting a hard time by the fans was news to me. I mean everyone seemed to recognize the mistakes on the boards here, but I hadn't noticed anyone calling for a trade or saying he's a bust.

If that same play from Detroit would have been made in October, I would guarantee everyone would be wanting Brewer on the next bus out of town, but he has really pulled his game together. I think he's been one of the best Oilers for the past couple of months.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:27 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
There isn't a defenceman out there who isn't going to cost his team a goal every now and then, and really, that Detroit gaffe was the first in a long time for Eric.

His upside may be 25 minutes/night with 30 or so points... and there is nothing wrong with that what so ever... that's a pretty solid #2 defenceman.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:32 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
There isn't a defenceman out there who isn't going to cost his team a goal every now and then, and really, that Detroit gaffe was the first in a long time for Eric.
Exactly... Chris Pronger gave Ryan Smyth a pretty nice present in front of the net for the insurance goal against St. Louis - in the last few minutes of the game too.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:35 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Exactly... Chris Pronger gave Ryan Smyth a pretty nice present in front of the net for the insurance goal against St. Louis - in the last few minutes of the game too.
Amen guys. All this talk about terrible defensive play is overblown. If a D-man is playing 25 minutes a game of course he is going to have a defensive breakdown every once in a while. I think it is a little more aggrevating because it seems as though we pay for every single one, partly because of questionable goaltending, but it happens.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Yanner39

You guys should see all the s**t Wade Redden takes in Ottawa. These players usually always play against the other teams stars who'll make anyone look stupid every once in awhile. They also play more minutes, hence more chance to screw up. Can't do much damage when you play 6 minutes as opposed to 25.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:38 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
You guys should see all the s**t Wade Redden takes in Ottawa. These players usually always play against the other teams stars who'll make anyone look stupid every once in awhile. They also play more minutes, hence more chance to screw up. Can't do much damage when you play 6 minutes as opposed to 25.
The Grass is always greener...

We saw what happened to the Oilers when Brew was out earlier this season. I wonder what Ottawa would do without Redden?

Old
02-19-2004, 01:41 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Yup, when he gets some open ice up the middle, he can really fly - and he's hard to check too, when he gets going like that. When he wants to, he can crush guys with a hipcheck against the boards, flatten them in the open ice, or clear out the front of the net. He has a decent wrist shot and can get the puck on net, but he's no Paul Coffey. (On the other hand, I haven't seen him score an own-goal either, so maybe it evens out. )

I like Brewer, I wish he'd get more of a break than he does. Lowe still has confidence in him, at least - that much is clear, and I trust Lowe to have more dman judging ability in his pinky finger than most fans.

(Edited to say that I realize Brew isn't perfect - note the "When he wants to" keyphrase. He's been playing much better the second half than he was the first, I think.)

Brewer is an amazing skater. He made a couple of moves in the defensive zone last night to elude forecheckers that really made me sit up and take notice.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I don't live in Edmonton, so I don't get to hear the radio talk shows, and Miller & McQuire's mention of Brewer getting a hard time by the fans was news to me. I mean everyone seemed to recognize the mistakes on the boards here, but I hadn't noticed anyone calling for a trade or saying he's a bust.

If that same play from Detroit would have been made in October, I would guarantee everyone would be wanting Brewer on the next bus out of town, but he has really pulled his game together. I think he's been one of the best Oilers for the past couple of months.
Actually several months ago, even on this very board, there was a lot of posters calling Brewer's head and demanding his trade. I believe his nickname at the time was "Brewtal".

Old
02-19-2004, 03:16 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Can't do much damage when you play 6 minutes as opposed to 25.
Have you been watching Ferguson the last 40 games?

Old
02-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Have you been watching Ferguson the last 40 games?
Damn! Words that come back to haunt you!

Old
02-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Matts

It's not gonna be the end of the world

if Brew can't score 10 goals or can't amass 40 points or run a PP. In fact it could be for the better as we can save his juice for the PK or big ES shifts against the other team's top lines.

That being said, Staios should be used in the exact same manner.

Which, in closing gives creedence to having Bergy or a Bergy type as your 6th dman who gets 1:30 on just about every PP and that's where say 33% of his TOI comes from.

Put players in situations where they can succeed. For 2 and 24, it isn't on the PP.

Identify a need and try to plug it and when you don't have a lot of bones, roll the dice on guys already inhouse.

Which speaks towards Bergy getting the shot. And also could mean exploring putting a forward on the PP point.

I didn't like seeing Semi out last night but I like the Igor/Bergy tandem. Throw Semi in there for Frankencross and let's go

As for the Miller interview, I like Gord but I didn't expect much more.

Closed Thread