HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Marek Zidlicky

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 03:27 AM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Marek Zidlicky

Marek Zidlicky of the Preds had 5 assists in yesterday´s game. Right now he has 38 points in this season, making him one of the highest scoring defensemen in the NHL.

Is he the least talked elite player in the NHL? I think he definitely is an elite player, because he´s not bad defensively and his offense rocks.

What do you think are his best assets as a hockey player?

Old
02-19-2004, 03:33 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

the ability to beat up Kryzsztof Oliwa

Old
02-19-2004, 03:40 AM
jacketracket*

Maybe Preds and Rangers fans can correct me, but wasn't he basically a throw-in in the Dunham deal?

Nice pick-up!!

Old
02-19-2004, 03:56 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
Maybe Preds and Rangers fans can correct me, but wasn't he basically a throw-in in the Dunham deal?

Nice pick-up!!
Basically yes. Murray and Kloucek were the “names” in the deal. From what was said around media/fans, etc. was that Sather wouldn’t give Zids the one way NHL contract he wanted so Poile got Sather to throw him in the deal. Plus, Poile knew Sather/Rangers were in dire need of a goalie, there were not really any #1’s out there available, and Vokoun had basically already supplanted Dunham as the #1 here so Poile was able to get a lot more for Dunham than he probably should have.

Extremely nice pick up.

Old
02-19-2004, 04:12 AM
Grady41

Zidlicky very nice pick up for Nash.

Old
02-19-2004, 04:15 AM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
Basically yes. Murray and Kloucek were the ?names? in the deal. From what was said around media/fans, etc. was that Sather wouldn?t give Zids the one way NHL contract he wanted so Poile got Sather to throw him in the deal. Plus, Poile knew Sather/Rangers were in dire need of a goalie, there were not really any #1?s out there available, and Vokoun had basically already supplanted Dunham as the #1 here so Poile was able to get a lot more for Dunham than he probably should have.

Extremely nice pick up.
Wonder if he regrets not offering the one-way deal, now?

Old
02-19-2004, 04:56 AM
feff

Send a message via Yahoo to feff
But I heard he's evil to Kittens.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Peter25

One interesting thought: Right now Zidlicky has more points that any Finnish player in the NHL.

Is this an indication of how good Zidlicky is or the state of Finnish hockey in general?

Old
02-19-2004, 07:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25
One interesting thought: Right now Zidlicky has more points that any Finnish player in the NHL.

Is this an indication of how good Zidlicky is or the state of Finnish hockey in general?
Considering he's a Czech, I don't really see were that matters.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:56 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Considering he's a Czech, I don't really see were that matters.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:53 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan
the thing that excites me is that I think he will only get better. We have seen him make some bonehead plays and give up scoring chances., but man does he have tremendous upside. As he learns and grows with the team he is going to continue to be something special.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Takeo

Quote:
I think he definitely is an elite player, because he´s not bad defensively and his offense rocks.

Elite defenseman are better than "not bad" defensively.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
What do you think are his best assets as a hockey player?
Playing in Nashville's power play system, taking over for the spot Delmore occupied. Where is he now? Riding the pine, only playing because of Buffalo's injury problems. Put him on any other team, and then talk about skills.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:46 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Elite defenseman are better than "not bad" defensively.
I think what he meant to say, is He's an elite offensive player, and not bad defensively. He is a -15 or something...but, most of his offense has come on the power play.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:48 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
Playing in Nashville's power play system, taking over for the spot Delmore occupied. Where is he now? Riding the pine, only playing because of Buffalo's injury problems. Put him on any other team, and then talk about skills.
Timonen has alot to do with making his partner look good on the PP...what you fail to mention is that Delmore had stopped producing. That's why he got a ticket out of town. His lack of production isn't really a big surprise to me.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:53 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Delmore and Zidlicky aren't even closely related. Zids passing, stick handling and vision are his biggest strengths, Delmore's was his shot, in fact those were Delmores weaknesses. In 144 games with Nashville Delmore had 38 assist, in 59 games with Nashville Zidlicky has 27.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Haute Couture

Quote:
Are you saying that players now have to play on different teams to prove their worth? What happened to the old-fashioned "watch the ****ing player play" way in determining whether hockey players were good or not? Zidlicky is nothing like Delmore.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:43 AM
PredsMan

Sounds to me a bit like "sour grapes" for that 3rd round pick Buffalo gave up for him.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:58 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

The offensive superstar that is Dallas Drake has had a 5 assist game this season as well...I think it's way to early to be mentioning "elite" in the same sentence as Zidlicky, for his offense or defense. For now he's just a very nice surprise...

Old
02-19-2004, 03:01 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree it's way to early to label him anything but a offensive defenseman, with crazy mad moves and puck skills.

Old
02-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:

Zidlicky is Czech.

But it is alarming from a Finnish point of view, however there are considerations one must take into account.

Sami Kapanen, previously a top point getter for Carolina is now a third-line player for the Flyers, not getting the chances to accumulate that he had earlier.
Selänne has spent most of the season on Colorado's third line, because the other two lines are working so well.. he's played well and done his job, but just hasn't been given enough chances to seize that second line spot.
Jokinen is having a good season, but worse than last season, but I expect him to have seasons like last for many seasons to come in the future.
Koivu missed quite a few games, and has been at just under a point per game since, which is a pretty good rate..
Top SM-Liiga scorers who have come over have found themselves in unusual roles, like Niko Kapanen, Antti Miettinen etc, they were really good scorers in SM-Liiga but now are required to do a "job" and not asked to get points in that job..
Lehtinen should have more points, but the whole Dallas Stars struggled and Jere missed quite a few games too..
Ruutu just came back from injury and it took him a bit longer to settle to the NHL, but recently he's been scoring and getting assists quite nicely, suggesting that there will be impressive totals accumulated, in say next season..

The defenders are doing very well, Pitkänen, Timonen in young stars and all stars respectively, others progressing nicely Lydman, Väänänen, Berg, others needing more ice-time like Niinimaa,..

Goaltenders shining, when I was a kid the closest thing we had to an NHL goaltender were the likes of Jukka Tamminen and Jarmoy Myllys, who were Finlands goalies from say Calgary 88 Olympics to Nagano 98 Olympics.. YIKES
Now the list is HUGE
Nurminen, Hurme, Lehtonen (future), Noronen, Markkanen, Kiprusoff, Toskala, Ahonen (future), Niittymäki (future), etc etc..

Goaltending, a previous weakness is now Finlands strenght.
Goalscoring, a previous strenght, is now lost in the woods.. but has light at the end of the tunnel -> sooner or later the SM-Liiga stars will get chances and start producing, great prospects -> Tukonen, Filppula, Jussi Jokinen, Jarkko Immonen..

right now I'd say Finland is the 6th nation of hockey, capable of beating anyone on its day, but will in a few years be the 4th nation of hockey..

Old
02-20-2004, 12:52 AM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by feff
But I heard he's evil to Kittens.

From what I've heard, he kills kittens.

Closed Thread