HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tavares to the KHL?

Old
07-13-2008, 04:30 PM
guyincognito

vCash: 500
C'mon, the only difference between a good junior goalie and a KHL goalie is 10 years.

I think a junior kid could eventually sign there, but he'd obviously have to be really good.
Really good.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:31 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
People wrong. They signed Radulov because they think he will be great contributor to their team success not just to screw NHL.
And you realize regardless of this KHL contract or not, he'll end up playing in Nashville right?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:47 PM
hockeydadx2*

I don't care how good my 18yr old hockey player is, or how much money he could make. He's not going to Russia, by himself, for an entire year, to play for those corrupt megalomaniacs who got rich because they effectively bribed the government. Not going to happen.

My kid is not going to be put into that environment, when he can wait a single year in a nice civilized place like Ontario and become the #1 pick overall. Simply not going to happen.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:50 PM
tmunnuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
Without wanting to sound too ethnocentric, they came over here. Over here is a lot better than over there. I know that sounds snotty, but it's true.
LOL, you don't sound ethnocentric, you sound like a huge idiot. Denmark and Sweden have vastly superior living conditions to those in North America. So you can understand: "over there" is a lot better than where you live.

tmunnuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmunnuch View Post
LOL, you don't sound ethnocentric, you sound like a huge idiot. Denmark and Sweden have vastly superior living conditions to those in North America. So you can understand: "over there" is a lot better than where you live.
Denmark and Sweden have teams in the KHL?

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
I don't care how good my 18yr old hockey player is, or how much money he could make. He's not going to Russia, by himself, for an entire year, to play for those corrupt megalomaniacs who got rich because they effectively bribed the government. Not going to happen.

My kid is not going to be put into that environment, when he can wait a single year in a nice civilized place like Ontario and become the #1 pick overall. Simply not going to happen.
But you're not Carl Lindros.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
MuffinMan*

His career will be over if he goes to the same team as Emery.

MuffinMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:54 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Wow. You just proved yourself you know nothing about hockey.
He spent most of the season working on his two way game, playing better defensively, while still putting up 2 points a game. I guarantee you if the coach of Oshawa let him play run n gun style he'd get atleast 3 points a game, if not more.
Oshawa was really bad defensively last year, including Tavares. And if the team had a defensive system it was a major failure with the number of goals (and 50 shots per game) they were giving every night.

I don't catch that many Oshawa games (less than 10) every year but to my eye, Tavares didn't really improve from 2006-2007 to 2007-2008 and I'm not sure he will be able to make the jump to the NHL directly. Anyway, I'd laugh out loud if a Russian team was willing to pay him big bucks to play with them this year at this point in his career.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:55 PM
mattihp

vCash: 639
I bet there are lots of North American companies who assure him he will get sponsorship deals that along with his contract will give him a nice hit of money, close to the contract a KHL team would give him.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:02 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
for all those who are curtly replying "no, not a chance,", etc, you are missing the pro's of playing abroad.

He is averaging 2 PPG in the OHL. How does one legitimately improve from those results. You improve from pushing yourself against stiffer competition, and harder scenarios. Europe can deliver this.

Sure, he may lose out on sponsorship deals the first 2 years of his NHL career, but the money made in europe should recoup that easily.

How else is he supposed to show that he has improved in the OHL anyways? 3 PPG? 4? would that really elevate your opinion of him proportionally?
It's not about points, it's about your overall game. Take his teammate Brett MacLean, who's at about 2 PPG as well, there's no guarantee he will succeed at the NHL level.

When your team needs 5 goals a game to win because you give close to 4 goals and 50 shots per game, you're going to rack up points (which Tavares did). It doesn't mean you play a complete game that will translate to the same results in the NHL.

Old
07-13-2008, 05:08 PM
IME

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
It's not about points, it's about your overall game. Take his teammate Brett MacLean, who's at about 2 PPG as well, there's no guarantee he will succeed at the NHL level.

When your team needs 5 goals a game to win because you give close to 4 goals and 50 shots per game, you're going to rack up points (which Tavares did). It doesn't mean you play a complete game that will translate to the same results in the NHL.
You're right, it's not about points. But do you think he has a better chance of improving his two-way game in the O, or in a league like the SEL? The point I am trying to make is that he has a much better opportunity to improve overseas as opposed to the O.

He is currently in a leage that just got a year younger. How is that supposed to elevate Tavares to NHL readiness?

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:12 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
You're right, it's not about points. But do you think he has a better chance of improving his two-way game in the O, or in a league like the SEL? The point I am trying to make is that he has a much better opportunity to improve overseas as opposed to the O.

He is currently in a leage that just got a year younger. How is that supposed to elevate Tavares to NHL readiness?
At the point he is, he can still improve in the OHL. Stamkos and Crosby did it, why not Tavares?

Old
07-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Did Ovechkin play on the top line at 17?
Did Malkin?
Has any top Russian Prospect play on the top line in the last 5 years?
Yes.

Few.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
He had a good season in the NHL, there was proven talent.
And thats why he was signed. Tavares is nobody in pro hockey i don't see why any team from europe would trow idiotic contract to him when many of our own prospects couldnt even make roaster.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big#D View Post
Worst case scenario? How about these:

Goes over for one season and gets injured by some overzelous 4th liner looking to take out the star kid and suffers a career threatening injury. Stock drops dramatically and can't make the NHL at all.

Gets hepatitis in a dodgy Russian restaurant and takes 6 months to a year to recover. In the mean time, NHL clubs lose interest and he is "stuck" playing in Europe for a few year before realizing his NHL dream.

Gets mixed up in mafia gambling and has his life threatened if he doesn't sign a long-term contract with his KHL club. Because he signs a contract, he can no longer jump ship and go to the NHL because the NHL and KHL have just reached an agreement to no poach each others players.

These scenarios are probably less likely then yours but they are possible. I'm sure there are lots of scenarios out there that are a lot worse than the one you mentioned.
Oh noes! He can also get hit by a stray asteroid! What about the very distinct possibility of him bleeding to death from a paper cut?! I think it is more than evident that Tavares should be pickled in a large jar and kept in a reinforced bomb shelter until he can step on NHL ice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Plus if he went to the khl he would not be playing in the world jrs.
Errrr... why? I personally cannot recall a single instance of a U20 player not being released for the World Juniors by an RSL team and am not aware of any rule changes that would make this any different in the KHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
oil.
Not any more so than natural gas or steel.

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:56 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Kazakhstan Hockey League I liiiiike!

I Hate You All* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Oh noes! He can also get hit by a stray asteroid! What about the very distinct possibility of him bleeding to death from a paper cut?! I think it is more than evident that Tavares should be pickled in a large jar and kept in a reinforced bomb shelter until he can step on NHL ice!
There's a difference between a professional adult league and the OHL.

The OHL has an age limit of 21. The guy is 17 or 18 and obviously wouldn't play in the KHL unless the offer was huge.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:07 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
There's a difference between a professional adult league and the OHL.

The OHL has an age limit of 20. The guy is 17 or 18 and obviously wouldn't play in the KHL unless the offer was huge.
Fixed.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:08 PM
IME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
At the point he is, he can still improve in the OHL. Stamkos and Crosby did it, why not Tavares?
Of course, Tavares isn't perfect, but there exists a much better opportunity to improve overseas.

The level of competition has theoretically decreased in the OHL since last year for Tavares, as most of the top players will now be playing pro (NHL, AHL, etc). Replacing that is a new class of freshly drafted youngsters. The peak of Tavares' competition has passed him. Let him play in a league that will challenge him in ways the O can't.

Old
07-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Denmark and Sweden have teams in the KHL?
A couple of Swedish teams have been contacted about playing in the khl, yes...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Since Tavares wouldn't play a season in the KHL due to the 4-year contract rule, shouldn't the thread title be changed into Tavares to Europe? Because that would be more realistic speculation.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmunnuch View Post
Uh, who's talking about Sweden and Denmark, Einstein?? I guess the educational systems there must be mediocre, or else you'd understand what I said.

And for the record, if it's my kid, he's not going anywhere. He's only 18, he's in the best major junior system in the world, and he's going to be the first overall pick most likely in the best league in the world in one year. Why would anybody send their kid to a third world country, the land of 3AM contracts and radiator negotiations, for a few lousy bucks that he'd end up making in NA anyhow?

Well, they won't. This would never happen. A few homesick, soft, greedy Russians will jump over to play in this pseudo-league, along with some NHL has-beens and never-weres, but I'm guessing that there will never be significant competition for the truly best-of-the-best. It's some corrupt Russian's pipedream, and nothing more.

Last edited by hockeydadx2*: 07-13-2008 at 08:13 PM.
hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
IME

I think we can all agree that a move to europe won't be for the money. The few million made by Tavares (and that's being highly optimistic) is around the same that can be had from sponsors, etc...

I think it has more to do with the fact that he may have hit a wall in terms of improvement when it comes to playing in the OHL. yes, he isn't perfect, but the competition has decreased for him, considering most of the skilled players left, and in comes fresh-faced youngsters

In Europe, there is enough competition and skill to push Tavares, as well as force him to improve his skating, something cited as a bit of a weakness.

Old
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Anyone want to put money on this?

I'm of the opinion it won't happen.... let's make a bet, c'mon.

I'm kidding, unless it's a lot of money them I'm in... no seriously, I'm kidding (that last one was for any law enforcement policing online gambling...).

I only accept Canadian money.... or gas... you can pay me in gas, stuffs like gold.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Zine

Quote:
Uh, who's talking about Sweden and Denmark, Einstein?? I guess the educational systems there must be mediocre, or else you'd understand what I said.

And for the record, if it's my kid, he's not going anywhere. He's only 18, he's in the best major junior system in the world, and he's going to be the first overall pick most likely in the best league in the world in one year. Why would anybody send their kid to a third world country, the land of 3AM contracts and radiator negotiations, for a few lousy bucks that he'd end up making in NA anyhow?

Well, they won't. This would never happen. A few homesick, soft, greedy Russians will jump over to play in this pseudo-league, along with some NHL has-beens and never-weres, but I'm guessing that there will never be significant competition for the truly best-of-the-best. It's some corrupt Russian's pipedream, and nothing more.
Bitter much?

Sounds like somebody's wife ran off with a Russian dude.......

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote