HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tavares to the KHL?

Old
07-13-2008, 10:43 PM
ukrleaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
But KHL don't want him
Oh yeah, they sign useless and washed up shmucks like Simon, McCarty and Stumpel. Sure they don't want the best young player. Because they want to win and not to score some points on hfboards...

ukrleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
It's also likely he'd lose his recently signed endorsement deal with Rebook and jeopardize any endorsement deals currently being negotiated. His mother is his agent now. Maybe his former agent would consider this move, but his mom is looking after his long-term interests. Being vilified in North America and called a traitor in Canada isn't the future she has in mind.
I'm going to take issue with this because it appears, to me, that you're painting his agent as being weak and not entirely looking out for his best interests, because she is, in fact, his mother.

We can argue day and night about what Tavares' best interests are, whether they are financial success, playing at the highest level possible against top competition or playing in the NHL. However, I think bringing up things like national pride and fear of being vilified undermines the role that she is playing in her son's career. One would assume that as his agent, she wouldn't be easily swayed by that, or if we can't assume that, we should at least hope.

Looking forward, if it is the case that his agent is as weak as you seem to indicate, can we expect that Tavares will stick with a single team, never hold out and never saddle the team with a difficult contract on the advice of his agent so that everyone likes her son and he doesn't upset the team, the management or the fanbase?

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make sense and comes off as a bit insulting to Mrs. Tavares. Her role, like any agent, is to look out for her client's best interests. As has been clearly shown in this thread, those interests are not helped by a move to the KHL, due to the way they handle junior contracts. However, the extent that some people want to argue about how a move to the KHL is "wrong" is ridiculous.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrleaf View Post
Oh yeah, they sign useless and washed up shmucks like Simon, McCarty and Stumpel. Sure they don't want the best young player. Because they want to win and not to score some points on hfboards...
RETURN THE CRIMEA!!!!

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:25 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
McCarty arent washed up! take a look at his stats for a last seasone!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Zine

IMO, his best option is the SEL.

Culturally it's not too different, it's way higher level of hockey than OHL, and (traditionally) Sweden development system puts an emphasis on 2-way play....just what Tavares needs most.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:04 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
Well, they won't. This would never happen. A few homesick, soft, greedy Russians will jump over to play in this pseudo-league, along with some NHL has-beens and never-weres, but I'm guessing that there will never be significant competition for the truly best-of-the-best. It's some corrupt Russian's pipedream, and nothing more.
Don't you think that the guys who decide to NOT go over to the NHL to earn less money than on their own continent (or slightly over to asia ) will be the big difference for the NHL with the KHL around?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:22 AM
+73*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy12 View Post
Because if he were to sign in the KHL, then lets say he cannot adapt his game to the bigger rink style or something like that, and he has a very poor season, his draft stock will plummet. If he stays in the O, he is assured to continue tearing up the league (barring injury) and is assured to top 2 draft spot.

i am willing to give the OP opening line odds of 750,000 to 1.

+73* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Avy*

Quote:
This is players with 15 years of NHL. As of right now Stumpel >>> Tavares from Barys standpoint and rightfully so.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:55 AM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Bitter much?

Sounds like somebody's wife ran off with a Russian dude.......
Has there EVER been a North American wife that's run off with a Russian dude?

Didn't think so.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:14 AM
mattihp

Quote:

Didn't think so.
Aren't there an american woman right here at the boards who is married to a russian? I am 90% sure.

Old
07-14-2008, 07:54 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:

Didn't think so.
just a couple of names Selivanov and Syuzin. keep your head up dude.

Old
07-14-2008, 09:11 AM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
I bet they are ugly.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:24 AM
mattihp

Quote:
I bet they are ugly.
And they still managed to get american women? Isn't that putting down your country's women that you tried to up just a couple of posts ago?

Old
07-14-2008, 09:27 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
I bet they are ugly.
i havnt seen them but is it very important?is there(N-A) good ones at all

Old
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Being vilified in North America and called a traitor in Canada isn't the future she has in mind.

Are guys like Malkin, who actually break contracts, considered traitors for coming over here? If not, why should Tavares be considered one? Oh wait, is it because us North Americans as a group, not individually, are xenophobic yahoos?

JWINK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Jag68Sid87

Nobody should have a problem if Tavares bolted for the KHL. From a hockey standpoint, I think one year there would be a great thing for his development. I think he needs a new challenge. I assume the KHL would try to keep him for more than one year, but I doubt Tavares would stay for longer than that. But, you never know.

To me, it makes more sense for a Tavares to play a year in the KHL than for Radulov to bolt just when he was emerging in the NHL. But who knows what these players are thinking these days? Getting into anyone's head is rather futile right now.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:53 PM
terreur

something like a phenomenon!

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:59 PM
pampatus

Quote:
Uh, who's talking about Sweden and Denmark, Einstein?? I guess the educational systems there must be mediocre, or else you'd understand what I said.
You were quoting a post that mentioned Boedker, Frolik, Moller and Nodle and claimed they are by far better of living in north america than north european countries.

Could you tell me which of these players have lived in Russia or have something to do with KHL?
Boedker and Moller have nothing to do with Denmark or Sweden?

So who's the Einstein?

Your posts make you look very arrogant.

pampatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
You do know russia is not the best place to live.
It's wealthier than Canada and just as cold

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
This is crazy talk.
Not really, this could actually happen. What a nightmare this could turn out to be for the NHL if the KHL was somehow able to convince him to sign!

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:16 PM
The Reg Season SC
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets Fan View Post
It's wealthier than Canada and just as cold
That doesn't matter, it depends on how spread out the wealth is, the social programs and how effective they are.

Most people aren't millionaires and billionaires, so Canada could be a better place to live if you make an average salary whereas Russia could be a better place to live if you're a millionaire (Or it could be the opposite.)

The Reg Season SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Haute Couture

Sport-Express (Russia's premier sports newspaper) is quoting you guys: http://news.sport-express.ru/online/.../nl245392.html
Congrats, Sonic Reducer .

I think that if you guys think of KHL as the BEST league outside of NHL (which it surely will be), it doesn't look at all that bad. It's funny, but the thing that's scaring people here is that KHL is mostly a Russian league. But with time it'll be a league comprising Latvia, Czech Republic, Scandinavia - so maybe it'll make sense for young NA players to play with strong competition in the strongest league outside of NHL.

PS. It's not only oil or gas. It's also steel (Severstal & Metallurg), autoindustry (Togliatti), and just rich provisions from provincial governments.

Haute Couture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:35 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setocheechoo View Post
Sport-Express (Russia's premier sports newspaper) is quoting you guys: http://news.sport-express.ru/online/.../nl245392.html
Congrats, Sonic Reducer .

I think that if you guys think of KHL as the BEST league outside of NHL (which it surely will be), it doesn't look at all that bad. It's funny, but the thing that's scaring people here is that KHL is mostly a Russian league. But with time it'll be a league comprising Latvia, Czech Republic, Scandinavia - so maybe it'll make sense for young NA players to play with strong competition in the strongest league outside of NHL.

PS. It's not only oil or gas. It's also steel (Severstal & Metallurg), autoindustry (Togliatti), and just rich provisions from provincial governments.
Translation of the article? xD

Old
07-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Haute Couture

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post

Yeah, Selivanov's wife is actually Esposito's daughter.

Also, Khristich is married to an American.

Haute Couture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
metalan2

Nice - hfboards - world famous..

Sonic Reducer!

metalan2 is online now   Reply With Quote