HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Job of the GM

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Grady41

vCash: 500
The Job of the GM

I would like to be a GM anybody know how to become one?

Just joking(well semi joking) but in all seriousness. What are the main factors that make a GM good?

His ability to surround himself with the right people.
Drafting.
Scouting.
Dealing with conracts.

What are the jobs of the GM? And how do you judge one?

Thanks in advance,

Old
02-19-2004, 08:18 AM
John Flyers Fan

How do you judge a GM ???

W's & L's

Drafting, trades, free agents, hiring coaches etc. all look nice on papaer.

Bottom line is, does his team win or lose.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:06 AM
West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady41

Just joking(well semi joking) but in all seriousness. What are the main factors that make a GM good?

Drafting.
Scouting.
Dealing with conracts.

Thanks in advance,
I'd say that any manager who surrounds himself with good people and gives them the resources they need to succeed and plans ahead is going to do well regardless of the business.

For particulars I'd say that Drafting can stay pretty much off any GM's radar as long as long as he hires himself a good scouting staff. I'd say solid player evalulation skills are a must mostly so that he can appreciate the info that his scouts and coaches are relaying to him.

I'd also guess that contracts and business dealings are very important but that's getting away from my area expertise so I'll let someone else comment.

p.s. I've worked with many different management teams and set-ups but never in any hockey related field so take this for what it's worth.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Puckz

One thing I think both you guys left out is Profit margin... Does he make money? Regardless of winning or losing, if he can put butts in the seat without spending tens of millions of dollars he is a good general manager... From an owner's perspective if the GM is making large profits by being a stingy on contracts, then would the owner want a GM who's going to spend an extra 20 million on contracts to bring in a couple million in revenue? Probably not, hockey is also a business and that's something one must take into consideration.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz
One thing I think both you guys left out is Profit margin...
Ahh.. The life of an NHL 2004 GM

Old
02-19-2004, 02:34 PM
OpinionatedMike

Y'know you don't need to be really any of that to be a soild GM, sure it doesn't hurt.
But if you have the right people below you doing the right jobs, then are you as a GM has to be is a leader and creative.

Personally, I don't doubt that 50% of the people on these boards could do a job of an NHL GM, the trick, getting into that "web" of people who are trusted and staying there.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Ahh.. The life of an NHL 2004 GM
Just out of curiousity, I realize that your reference relates to the stress of Profits in the video game by EASports but how far is that from from reality? Not every team has a budget like the New York Rangers, smaller market teams, especially the Canadian teams, could not stand to have General Managers who were reckless with money. They wouldn't get the approval to spend an unlimited amount on contracts, therefore they also have to be very concerned about how they spend their alloted budget... If they can make more money for their owner, the chance of a budget increase would be more favourable would it not? And in turn possibly increase the number of wins... I feel alot of the General Manager's duties rely and are based solely upon the finances, more so that if they just win or lose.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Personally, I don't doubt that 50% of the people on these boards could do a job of an NHL GM, the trick, getting into that "web" of people who are trusted and staying there.
It's another case of who ya know not what ya know... It's all about networking your social connections and getting the "ins" to the business. It's unfortunate but a reality, I'm sure there are alot of people with skills much stronger than current NHL general managers but who are left with only aspirations of becoming something bigger.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Impossibles

At UBC, in the human kiniseology (sp?) program, you can take a 'sports management' option. A friend of my girlfriend took it, and did a bit of an apprenticeship with Brian Burke.

I don't know if it would help anybody become a GM, but I thought it was funny as hell.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:

Drafting.
Scouting.
Dealing with conracts.

Thanks in advance,
become a players agent if ur not in the game already

or marry a gm's daughter!

Old
02-19-2004, 03:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Drafting.
Scouting.
Dealing with conracts.
Well, in reality, all GM's have people who handle those specifics... pro/amateur scouts make suggestions/lists. All the scouts make a comprehensive list accordingly, and it varies through each scouting staff. Some teams rank players through team needs, others rank each individual and take the best player available.

Some GM's (without a lawyer background), will usually have an Assistant G.M. who has the education, experience and expertise in handling contracts and other legalities.

GM's are responsible ultimately for hirings/firings and they call the shots, but most of the time trading, drafting, signings, etc. involves more than just one individual calling the shots.

Old
02-19-2004, 05:11 PM
PecaFan

One of Brian Burke's main skills is driving unwanted guys to the airport...

Closed Thread