HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation: Trade coming?

Old
07-14-2008, 10:27 AM
sampollock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Sing it with me now.

No cap room. (Provided we sign Sundin, if not, let's not trade for a D, but for a third C)
yes, i know

but clearly cap room will have to come,

bob might have a plan.

if mats don't come, money is there.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Did you see the game against the Amerks the year before last where he dropped Kaleta? That was a thing of beauty. It was like a little kid with a stick poking a bear saying "Am I annoying you? Am I annoying you? Am I annoying you? Am I annoying you?" and then the bear gets up and wallops the kid into the ground.

I wouldn't say he is "way better" than Chipchura. Way more experienced (comparatively), perhaps. They each have strengths and weaknesses but as all around players, personally, I'd take Chipchura any day of the week over Lapierre. I think Lapierre has something to offer this team and he has his plus points, but I'd take Chipchura.

Kyle certainly has things to work on at the NHL level and adapt to, but he tops Lapierre in several areas of the game, a lot of them relating to play with the puck. Kyle can protect the puck better in just about any situation. The one that Lappy has an edge at would be accelerating away from an opponent with the puck and protecting it, but even still, Kyle isn't bad at protecting the puck in that situation, just accelerating. Kyle has FAR better hands than Lapierre both in traffic and when one on one. Lapierre has the better slap/snap shot but I would say Kyle has the better wrister from the hash marks in. Kyle is not only the better passer, but is more inclined to read each play, get his head up and choose what he believes his best option is. Lapierre is more route one than that. He gets the puck, he rushes up the ice, he puts it on net and he doesn't often deviate from that as long as it is an option for him.

Kyle is also a better player positionally IMO, a better fighter, a better leader (would have been captain of the Dogs last year if he had started the season in Hamilton) and more reliable in the defensive zone. He doesn't go for the big hit often, but is capable of it.

I think the reason people rate Kyle over Maxim is because Kyle has displayed a wide range of skills effectively, throughout his development. In addition, he has skills which Maxim currently either lacks or needs further development on. That's not to say that Kyle is a complete player right now, clearly he isn't. But there are far better reasons for people considering Kyle the better player than the mere fact he was a first round pick. That just sounds like a kop out to me.

It really isn't.

Gainey figured that Kyle having big minutes and a big role in Hamilton over a few minutes and a small role in Montreal would be beneficial to his development, perhaps? Lappy doesn't fill a big role in Montreal and likely never will. He can do what he does effectively in Montreal and it is what he will be doing for years to come. He also has a year of development over Chipchura. Kyle could be an important part of the teams future if he continues to develop well and the team has enough depth to ensure he doesn't need to be rushed into developing in the NHL.

In the NHL, yes he does, I'd agree with you on that one. But to say that Lapierre is "way better" than Chipchura as a hockey player right now is to ingore what Kyle has accomplished and proven in his time in the professional ranks.

Nothing like a QGD post to rectifya situation on our young players.

Now tell me. QGD, how much dough do you make per year? I mean, if you aren't making more than BigTimer, it probably means that you are wrong about the whole debate

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Now tell me. QGD, how much dough do you make per year? I mean, if you aren't making more than BigTimer, it probably means that you are wrong about the whole debate
I must admit, I make no dough during the course of any given year. I buy my bread ready made as it saves a lot of time, effort and money. On the topic of money, I almost certainly earn less than BigTimer, very few people are fortunate enough to have that kind of money. Instead of being rich and right, like him, I have to console myself with being wrong, buying my bread and having him on my ignore list. As you can see, I'll get by okay.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
I must admit, I make no dough during the course of any given year. I buy my bread ready made as it saves a lot of time, effort and money. On the topic of money, I almost certainly earn less than BigTimer, very few people are fortunate enough to have that kind of money. Instead of being rich and right, like him, I have to console myself with being wrong, buying my bread and having him on my ignore list. As you can see, I'll get by okay.
Money can't buy class

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda figured that....

I just don't seem to be able to take the time and put people on my IL... I'm pretty lazy when it comes to that.

Old
07-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda figured that....

I just don't seem to be able to take the time and put people on my IL... I'm pretty lazy when it comes to that.
You should work harder at it then. That way, as well as being busy, you might be rich and right as well. BONUS!

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:05 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Lapierre is currently way better than Chipchura.

People saying that Chipchura is better than Lapierre are basing their opinion on the fact that Chipchura is a 1st rounder and COULD be better a better player in the future.

Other than that, saying that Chipchura is better is pretty ridiculous, can you then explain to me why Gainey decided to send him down to Hamilton and kept Lapierre in the big club?

I hope that Chips will be the player we wanted him to be, but he still got a lot to prove!
Same reason Price went down and came back up as the starter over Huet and Halak...to get icetime and confidence. Its not like Lapierre stayed up his first time, heck he didn't make the team over Chip last year, got the call up when Chip went down I believe.

For people to think Lappy is better overall is silly, he may have been more NHL ready last year over Chip. Other than that Chip is going to be the far more superior NHLer.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
You should work harder at it then. That way, as well as being busy, you might be rich and right as well. BONUS!
But then I'd become heartless and mean and WTK would put me on his ignore list... and I just don't want that, I mean, I like his Carbo bashing.

WTK

And besides, there's only room for one megalomaniac on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Same reason Price went down and came back up as the starter over Huet and Halak...to get icetime and confidence. Its not like Lapierre stayed up his first time, heck he didn't make the team over Chip last year, got the call up when Chip went down I believe.

For people to think Lappy is better overall is silly, he may have been more NHL ready last year over Chip. Other than that Chip is going to be the far more superior NHLer.
I think that's the keywords when trying to compare the two of them, "NHL ready".

Overall Chips > Lappy

NHL ready Lappy > Chips

Let's see what the training camp will bring in terms of performance for the two, as I truly believe it won't take a lot of time gor Chips to surpass Lappy.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-14-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old
07-14-2008, 11:10 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
seems like the little forwards , bob is moving out....

if bob makes a trade, it will be for a stud,

and i say a D man.

boumester in fla?????
You want Bouwmesster, better be prepared to offer Higgins, O'Byrne and a 1st.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
kingdok

Quote:
Chipchura is better than Lapierre at every facet of the game other than...
Chipchura is always in position.
+

ed ible avatar

I think I see double today

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
But then I'd become heartless and mean and WTK would put me on his ignore list... and I just don't want that, I mean, I like his Carbo bashing.

WTK

I resemble that remark

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Erika

lol, so this thread has become a Lapierre VS Chipchura ?!

I don't like both players, but I particularly hate more Chipchura because he was a 1st rounder and hasn't shown anything special at this point. Also, I don't understand this philosophy to draft defensive minded players in the early rounds, but this is another debate.

To say that Chipchura is way better than Lapierre is Ridiculous at this point. If Kyle "Freakin" Chipchura was that much better than Lapierre, than why it was him that went to Hamilton in December then ?! Don't tell me it's the contract circumstances or anything because I don't buy it. Gainey kept the 23 best players after Christmas and Sorry, Chipchura wasn't part of that group plain and simple.

Anyways, Sergei Kostitsyn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lapierre + Chipchura

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Does anyone else here speculate that Gainey maybe preparing for a trade?

We are very deep in defense prospects as it is, but Gainey has went out and signed Henry, trades for Belle (Locke trade) and also got Greg Pateryn in trade as well (Grabovski trade).

In order to dump a salary like Dandenault to open up cap space and to free up a roster spot it is my thinking that we maybe packaging Dandy along with on of our defense prospects. I think that is the only way you get Dandy off the books, unless he goes to Hamilton.

I know Eklund has said today that Gainey is working on cap space as well, and that Sundin will be a Hab by weeks end.

I was thinking this before the above mentioned person said anything.

Anyone else speculate why all the Dmen in trade recently...it isn't exactly a weak point in our team or prospect area.

Thoughts? Ideas? Rumours?

I was reading along until I seen that......then I stopped reading because I know if Eklund has anything to do with it......its bull****!!!!!

I wish everybody would stop spewing garbage from Eklund.....the guy hasn't gotten a deal right EVER!!!! He might link a player with a team once in a while....but when you link a player with 15 teams.....your bound to get one right once in a while.

Anybody can make the same crap up that Eklund does.....watch and I'll show ya....

Mats Sundin is going to sign with Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Los Angelas, Edmonton, Florida, Minnesota, Carolina, Chicago and Pittsburgh.

So if Sundin signs with any of those 10 teams.....I'M A GENIUS....just like Eklund!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I think he's captaining Kelowna... right?

Chipchura is better than Lapierre at every facet of the game other than skating. Which doesn't matter because Chipchura is always in position.

If Lapierre and Chipchura were playing 1 on 1, Chipchura would win. Even if Chips lost the face-off, which he's improving at, he'd get the puck back with his supreme hockey sense, his checking ability, his smarts and his unbeatability on the boards. Plus his general calmness. Chipchura has better hands, can control the puck better than Lapierre, can protect the puck better. Chipchura also has leadership up the wazoo. There's a reason Chipchura was selected as highly as he was and is reguarded as highly as he is the organization.

But yeah, you make more money than me or something, so you win.. or whatever.
Unfortunetly Chip hasn't shown anything when he was in Montreal. The concept of getting a place in the NHL because of leadership went out in the 80s. These days you have to be rugged or uber talented or you're out. (that is why Lappy also will have to do more next year, at least be more gritty)

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Probably, because I'd be as uneducated as you seem to be in the abilities of Chipchura. Yet, since I'm not and I've seen every game he's played as a Hab. I've seen his Calder Cup run with the Bulldogs and I've read every written report given by Qui Gon Dave or anyone else.

Chipchura > Lapierre. In overall ability, value and upside. Lapierre will be a 4th line winger in this league and he'll be useful with Laraque to back up his (hopefully) yappiness and pest behaviour.
Totally agree.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:00 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Say we Get Sundin, what possible trade would we do? I don't see it, not without giving up a core roster player. And who would we go for?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Say we Get Sundin, what possible trade would we do? I don't see it, not without giving up a core roster player. And who would we go for?
Dandenault and/or Begin for a/some picks.

If Holloweg can get you a 5th those guys should be worth at least that.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Dandenault and/or Begin for a/some picks.

If Holloweg can get you a 5th those guys should be worth at least that.
Hollweg is atleast some what of an agitator/tough guy. Dandenault pisses fabric softener.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Hollweg is atleast some what of an agitator/tough guy. Dandenault pisses fabric softener.

He still has won a cup and can play forward or defense...worst case he can help lA get to the cap and maybe get them a pick at the deadline.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He still has won a cup and can play forward or defense...worst case he can help lA get to the cap and maybe get them a pick at the deadline.
Thats my opinion too, but i really think the only way Dandy moves is if we package a B-level prospect along with him so that they are willing to accept his suckiness.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:40 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

WTK

I think that's the keywords when trying to compare the two of them, "NHL ready".

Overall Chips > Lappy

NHL ready Lappy > Chips

Let's see what the training camp will bring in terms of performance for the two, as I truly believe it won't take a lot of time gor Chips to surpass Lappy.
I'm not so much a Carbo basher.. as an unfair critic.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:54 PM
kernkraft

Chipchura is a big, strong center with presumably great leadership and can score too (not his main job, but better at it than Lapierre I would say). He is also a first rounder, and I doubt the organization lets that go.

Anyways, we gotta get Dandy off the cap because we have to sign O'Byrne and if Sundin comes, we'll need some space on there as well.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Absolutely don't 'cause everytime we thought that some moves meant a trade it actually didn't. I see what we did just as what it's suppose to mean. Henry, Belle just d-prospects to replace what we had in Hamilton that won't be coming back. Pateryn was brought in 'cause Timmins liked him and wasn't able to get him.

Even if Dandenault is traded, I would still see it as a way to please Dandenault who for sure will not want to be the #9 d-man or the 15th forward....

The only way that I'll think that Sundin or a trade is coming is when I'll see it...
I agree with every word.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:08 PM
24morecupsthanyou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Kyle Chipchura is way better than Lapierre for an overall game... ok there. Typical HFboards mentality. Lets just ignore that Lapierre is a better skater, isnt afraid to get involved in a game, and isnt a liability on faceoffs.

Anyways, there is no need to add a player to a deal in order to get Dandy off the cap... just send him down to the AHL and thats it end of story.
Wow Bigtimer discussing players...and being completely wrong and misguided, how am i not surprised? LOL
Keep your opinions to ragging on the Habs, that's all you're good at. So start posting in December when we slump, see yah till then...you peasant.

I still chuckle at how you would take Jason Allison over Kovalev and the Kostitsyn's and how you predicted the Leafs to finish ahead of the Habs last year because they signed Jason Blake. LOL

Where do you get your hockey information from? Bangladesh News Paper?

Last edited by 24morecupsthanyou*: 07-14-2008 at 07:22 PM.
24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:14 PM
dcyhabs

Huet redux?

Just as long as Bob does not clear space for Sundin just to watch him sign with Vancouver. Like when he traded Huet for whatever he could get quick because he expected to get a backup goalie when he acquired Hossa.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote