Dear Fans of Every Other Team In The League

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2009, 08:48 PM
KevFist
is best pony

vCash: 500
Dear Fans of Every Other Team In The League

We are aware that Ilya Kovalchuk is a pending UFA after next season. He's been a great player for us, and could be a great player for some other franchise as well. However, we would like to take a moment to make you aware of several things.

1. Yes, we know Ilya will be a UFA after the next season. No need to start every post stating that fact.

2. Yes, we know Ilya would look good wearing your team's sweater. He's actually quite dashing in the True Blue jersey, as well as the Thrashercross Red jersey.

3. Yes, we know Don Waddell has made some boneheaded trades in the past. However, he's been doing much better lately.

4. Yes, we know the games you're going to try and play by offering washed up third liners and prospects for one of the top 10 players in the league. That's probably why you're not a REAL GM...

5. Yes, we're sick of hearing stupid scenarios involving Ilya. Please, fgor our sake, do not make them. If you do, please do not be surprised when someone makes stupid proposals regarding your team's stars.

Please observe these simple rules, and we'll be fine!

Old
05-30-2009, 08:32 AM
nnynetpotato

Can Waddell do anything to get him to re-sign though?Or (at least) get other teams to think he might?

If not,Atlanta's clearly dealing from weakness.

If this is hold'em,DW's got 4-9 offsuit right now.

Old
05-30-2009, 11:24 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Please see rule #3

Old
05-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Pukboy5kroner

As a fan of the Panthers who had to listen to all the Bouwmeester is leaving talk, I sympathize with you. Hopefully Kovalchuk signs with the thrashers to put the talk to sleep.

Old
06-06-2009, 08:32 AM
C77

I've a question about Ilya the player.....Has he improved defensively through the years? Does he have a bad rap about his defense or is it still justified?

Old
06-06-2009, 10:06 AM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I've a question about Ilya the player.....Has he improved defensively through the years? Does he have a bad rap about his defense or is it still justified?
Occasionally justified, but still has improved dramatically from season to season. There was a very noticeable improvement once he was named Captain.

Old
06-06-2009, 10:14 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
The joy at this site is see what how other teams try to ripe of some teams

Old
06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Alex28*

Actually no one looks good in the vomit jersey.

Thrashers should stick to the blue one or rip off firefox's logo.

Old
06-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Toronto Maple Leaf fan here. I understand the growing pains the Thrashers have gone through, and the numerous proposals out there for your star forward. The whole Atlanta mess with Ilya Kovalchuk is attributed to mismanagement of the team to some level, and the ownership infighting going on.

Realistically, if an outsider looks at the Thrasher situation, Don Waddell is wearing too many hats in the Atlanta organization. Don Waddell is the Executive VP and General Manager for both the Thrashers and the basketball Atlanta Hawks. When you have many portfolios going at once, it can be daunting trying to get the right deals for two professional sporting franchises. This is why both Atlanta teams are suffering, as Waddell does not have a lot of time to focus on one team.

With the addition of Rick Dudley to the Thrashers, the team can now focus on hockey operations from someone with experience in building up the current Chicago Blackhawks team. I have a feeling that Waddell will let Dudley handle the more day to day personnel work and Waddell can focus on the financial issues with the two franchises.

Any potential deal involving Ilya Kovalchuk will now have a more focused associate manager helping out with the deals, so that Atlanta is not left out with any decent assets if Kovalchuk was ever to be traded. Depending what happens this off season and the upcoming season standings will be the benchmark for Kovalchuk to decide.

Atlanta will most likely offer the most money come free agency or extension to keep their star forward, so it would be in Kovalchuk’s best interest to remain with Atlanta financially. Hopefully, Dudley can help turn the ship around just like he helped with Chicago, and Kovalchuk will see it being worthwhile to stay in Atlanta for a long time.

As a Toronto fan, I am not one of those Canadian fans that think all Sunbelt teams should fold and move up north. Hopefully this whole situation with Kovalchuk will be sorted out and Atlanta can move forward with bringing in more fans into the building and getting more season ticket holders as the team does better in the standings. This draft will be a key for the Thrashers to move forward with new talent to complement Kovalchuk in the coming years.

Good luck Thrashers fans, you have been patient long enough. Toronto fans know exactly how you feel as our young Toronto Raptors team has had similar bad luck since coming to the NBA in 1995.

Old
06-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
Realistically, if an outsider looks at the Thrasher situation, Don Waddell is wearing too many hats in the Atlanta organization. Don Waddell is the Executive VP and General Manager for both the Thrashers and the basketball Atlanta Hawks. When you have many portfolios going at once, it can be daunting trying to get the right deals for two professional sporting franchises. This is why both Atlanta teams are suffering, as Waddell does not have a lot of time to focus on one team.
Waddell is going to be very surprised to learn he is in charge of the Hawks too.

Quote:
Atlanta will most likely offer the most money come free agency or extension to keep their star forward, so it would be in Kovalchuk’s best interest to remain with Atlanta financially. Hopefully, Dudley can help turn the ship around just like he helped with Chicago, and Kovalchuk will see it being worthwhile to stay in Atlanta for a long time.
You are correct that this is a strong point in the Thrashers advantage. Kovalchuk is on schedule to become a UFA the same year the cap is expected to fall by anywhere from$3-5 million. Very few clubs will have the room to make a huge offer and at some of those teams that have the room will not spend it (Buffalo comes to my mind).

Old
06-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
Waddell is going to be very surprised to learn he is in charge of the Hawks too.
That is odd, I heard on the radio he was looking after basketball operations. Also, on the Hawks website it lists Waddell and Rick Sund as EVP and General Manager.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/general_inf...ry_001220.html

From my understanding, Waddell would help the Hawks out, but I could be mistaken. It is weird to see Waddell's name on the Hawks staff directory on their website if he has nothing to do with the team.

Old
06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
That is odd, I heard on the radio he was looking after basketball operations. Also, on the Hawks website it lists Waddell and Rick Sund as EVP and General Manager.

From my understanding, Waddell would help the Hawks out, but I could be mistaken. It is weird to see Waddell's name on the Hawks staff directory on their website if he has nothing to do with the team.
Waddell has nothing to do with the Hawks... I promise

Like you said, Rick Sund basically does for the Hawks what Waddell does for the Thrashers.

Old
06-21-2009, 10:11 PM
AintLifeGrand

Beau Turner should get more involved in the team or find a way to buy it out with his dad.

For those that don't know Beau has an excellent track record in wildlife conservation and has been an ardent steward to the Chattahoochee river as well.

pretty cool guy

Old
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
AintLifeGrand

i would go on to say probably the coolest/frattiest NHL owner , and is a good representative of the city/south

Old
06-21-2009, 11:53 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
i would go on to say probably the coolest/frattiest NHL owner , and is a good representative of the city/south
What?
A rich boy who never had to work a day in his life?

Old
06-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:

Each GM is a "vice president" but they have nothing to do with the other franchise other than building issues, arguing over scheduling issues, etc.

Old
06-22-2009, 08:27 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
coolest/frattiest
Having a bout with cognitive dissonance is not how I wanted to kick off my Monday morning. Thanks, jerk.

Old
06-22-2009, 10:06 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
What?
A rich boy who never had to work a day in his life?
Shhh. It's just another acid trip.

Old
06-22-2009, 06:25 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Shhh. It's just another acid trip.
Believe me...acid in no way alters your perception to the point that equating fratty with cool seems like a good idea...

Old
06-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
As a fan of the Panthers who had to listen to all the Bouwmeester is leaving talk, I sympathize with you. Hopefully Kovalchuk signs with the thrashers to put the talk to sleep.
I was just going to post the same thing.

Good luck to you guys...whichever way it ends up.

Old
06-23-2009, 08:44 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
Believe me...acid in no way alters your perception to the point that equating fratty with cool seems like a good idea...
I'll take your word for it ...

Seriously, though. He's got to be on something.

Old
06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
dashtary*

sorry if this is off topic but do any of you guys want to join a mock offseason? if so LeafHagman needs a lot more teams to get it started...

Old
06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Devil Dancer

It will get worse as the season goes on. Us Caps fans dealt with this two seasons ago when Ovechkin was approaching RFA status, and all of the big market team fans just assumed he wouldn't re-sign with the Caps. Good luck.

Old
06-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Beau Turner should get more involved in the team or find a way to buy it out with his dad.

For those that don't know Beau has an excellent track record in wildlife conservation and has been an ardent steward to the Chattahoochee river as well.
That should translate well to making business decisions for a professional sports franchise.

Old
06-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
We are aware that Ilya Kovalchuk is a pending UFA after next season. He's been a great player for us, and could be a great player for some other franchise as well. However, we would like to take a moment to make you aware of several things.

1. Yes, we know Ilya will be a UFA after the next season. No need to start every post stating that fact.

2. Yes, we know Ilya would look good wearing your team's sweater. He's actually quite dashing in the True Blue jersey, as well as the Thrashercross Red jersey.

3. Yes, we know Don Waddell has made some boneheaded trades in the past. However, he's been doing much better lately.
Please enlighten me as to what DW has done better lately?

As for Kovy; if this team gets off to another poor start next October, expect another Hossa type deal for #17 at the trade deadline.

Closed Thread