Notices

Scouting Reports: (Hawks Fan) Hossa

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
HawksTillDeath

vCash: 500
Scouting Reports: (Hawks Fan) Hossa

Even though hossa wasn't with you guys last year..

what kind of scouting report/profile can you give a Hawks fan on what kind of player he is?

i've obviously seen him play often, but it isnt the same as someone watching him on a day to day basis

thanks alot

Old
07-03-2009, 06:07 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
Even though hossa wasn't with you guys last year..

what kind of scouting report/profile can you give a Hawks fan on what kind of player he is?

i've obviously seen him play often, but it isnt the same as someone watching him on a day to day basis

thanks alot
Well, his first 2 years here, he waas really great. He played through injuries too. He was the best player in his own zone that we had. He would speed around defenders then cut to the net with the puck and lots of goals were scored with him toppling the goalie. I think he wanted to make Atlanta happy with the Heatley trade because Dan-Me Heatley was touted as "Mr. Thrasher" when he was here. The fans LOVED Hossa the first 2 years.

The last year here, he pretty much packed it in. He NEVER went to the net and lots of times would just toss the puck around the net instead of challenging defenders. He was still pretty good getting back but never went to the boards anymore in his end.

If you get the "early" energized Hossa, which you should, then you will be thrilled in the regular season. If you have some bangers to cover his back in the playoffs, (Byfuglien comes to mind) then he should stay effective in the playoffs.

He's a really nice guy to the fans and we in Atlanta couldn't much fault him for protecting his body in his final season here because our ownership was like "Old Man Wirtz" was to ya'll.

Hope that helps and best of luck to the Hawks!!

Old
07-03-2009, 07:57 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Well, his first 2 years here, he waas really great. He played through injuries too. He was the best player in his own zone that we had. He would speed around defenders then cut to the net with the puck and lots of goals were scored with him toppling the goalie. I think he wanted to make Atlanta happy with the Heatley trade because Dan-Me Heatley was touted as "Mr. Thrasher" when he was here. The fans LOVED Hossa the first 2 years.

The last year here, he pretty much packed it in. He NEVER went to the net and lots of times would just toss the puck around the net instead of challenging defenders. He was still pretty good getting back but never went to the boards anymore in his end.

If you get the "early" energized Hossa, which you should, then you will be thrilled in the regular season. If you have some bangers to cover his back in the playoffs, (Byfuglien comes to mind) then he should stay effective in the playoffs.

He's a really nice guy to the fans and we in Atlanta couldn't much fault him for protecting his body in his final season here because our ownership was like "Old Man Wirtz" was to ya'll.

Oh I beg to differ, you're supposed to give 110% effort 100% of the time, you dont just play half-hearted like he did. His play in the last season he was with us has forever made him worthless IMO.

With that said, I agree that he was definitely great before that.

Old
07-03-2009, 09:24 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post

Does our ownership spend a reasonable amount of money on the hockey team? Does our ownership allow home games to be broadcast on TV? Does our ownership do ANYTHING for the fans? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions then our ownership group is no where near as bad as Wirtz Sr was.

Anyway, the first two seasons Hossa was here he was unstoppably fast and a top 5 player in the entire league. The third season he lost a step for some reason, and has never really gotten it back. Maybe a knee injury nobody was aware of, or maybe just getting a bit old, but he doesn't have the speed to generate as many breakaways as he used to. Excellent defense, can hold the puck for ages, and always seems to find a way to cash in his obvious chances. He might not be as good as he was, but he's still better than 95% of the league at pretty much everything- you'll love him.

Old
07-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Boognish

Hossa is a horse and one of the strongest guys on skates when he wants to be. He's defensively responsible and does a lot of little things very well. He's easily the most complete player the Thrashers have ever had on their roster. He doesn't take nights off, but will get in a bit of a funk occasionally.

Old
07-04-2009, 01:05 PM
The Sneak

He's awesome. A complete hockey player. Does it all but rarely flashy. The best stickhandler I've ever seen in traffic. Not going to lead your team from the locker room but he's not going to interfere with those that have to.

I'm man crushing. He's one of my favorites

Old
07-04-2009, 07:34 PM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

I agree with most everything that's been said. He was a fantastic hockey player here for the first two years of his contract. Really just stellar. He's a bull with the puck, and he's got some really good hands (though, we're spoiled cos Kovalchuk's are better). He's defensively responsible and is a lot of fun to watch play.

Just don't expect him to be a leader. He's a complete support player, which is odd given his immense talent. As has been said, he doesn't interfere with those who do lead, but it's just not in him. He's never going to be the catalyst that turns a game (though he can take control of them), but he's rarely going to be the reason that you lose.

Old
07-04-2009, 10:29 PM

One good hit and he will disappear for days...

Closed Thread