HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Shanahan to Habs

Old
09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
TSV

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TSV
lang have a salary of 4M$, a bit more that what shany will cost...
+ to get lang we at least gotta give a pick or a prospect, shany won't cost nothing
+ yeah he's a center, but he's no warrior... we don't need another bonk. no thanx.

shany might be getting old, but he can still racked up 20 goals and 50pts... for a 2-2.5M$, do it bob...

and if sundin, shany, plan C and D don't work then yeah, take a look at bonk... I mean lang

TSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 11:19 PM
BulldogFever

Shanahan down the 401

Hey Shanny, I hear Cliff needs some help in Toronto. I heard that your buddy Sundin needs you!

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSV View Post
lang have a salary of 4M$, a bit more that what shany will cost...
+ to get lang we at least gotta give a pick or a prospect, shany won't cost nothing
+ yeah he's a center, but he's no warrior... we don't need another bonk. no thanx.

shany might be getting old, but he can still racked up 20 goals and 50pts... for a 2-2.5M$, do it bob...

and if sundin, shany, plan C and D don't work then yeah, take a look at bonk... I mean lang
Lang another Bonk?
  • Lang finished the season with 21 goals last year, which would have been good for 5th on our team!
  • He had 54 points, only 2 less than Koivu!
  • His 53.1 face-offs percentage would be first on our team!
Granted he's not an all-star, but he'd certainly fill a good role on this team as a plan "B"...

Dreaming about Shanahan is mute anyway as Gainey clearly stated that he didn't want Shanahan, that a couple of years ago he was interested, but that we have guys filling that role now.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 05:05 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Oliver Latendresse+8th Round pick for Lang?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Delat

No Lang and no Shanny for me please, I prefer to see young guys.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 08:03 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
Agreed.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 08:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
We're trying to win a Cup here.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:16 AM
gusfring

I would bring Shanny here.

AK-Plek-Kovy
Tanguay-Koivu-Shanny
SK-Higgs-Kost
Laraque-Chip-Lapierre

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
.... but not at the expense of the future of the team, if we're not ready, we're not ready, i'm not willing to leave a Kyle Chipchura or a Latendresse to rot for the 10 more points a Lang could bring us

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:44 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
.... but not at the expense of the future of the team, if we're not ready, we're not ready, i'm not willing to leave a Kyle Chipchura or a Latendresse to rot for the 10 more points a Lang could bring us
If it wins us a Cup? Are you kidding me?

Sorry but if we set back Chipchua/Latendresse/Lapierre/etc's development a year for the sake of winning the Cup...tough titty, I say.

Old
09-08-2008, 11:48 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:

Sorry but if we set back Chipchua/Latendresse/Lapierre/etc's development a year for the sake of winning the Cup...tough titty, I say.
ouch. so what do you develop for? winning 5 cups in a row..
i think any gm takes a cup over a year of "better" development..

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
He'd be an alright fit, but only if he's going to play on say our third line with Higgins and Chipchura.. That would probably throw Latendresse out of the lineup though, french media would have a bird.
Latendresse is better than him right now, plus he is younger, cheaper and more durable. The only edge Shanny has is experience, but we have Koivu Kovalev and co for that.

Quote:
Young guys have a chance to improve if you play them, these guys are on the decline. After watching him last year, I'm not sure Shanny can help us.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-08-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:52 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
ouch. so what do you develop for? winning 5 cups in a row..
i think any gm takes a cup over a year of "better" development..
Your first line seems to disagree with me but your second line says basically what I just did. I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Young guys have a chance to improve if you play them, these guys are on the decline. After watching him last year, I'm not sure Shanny can help us.
I'm not saying Shanahan would guarantee us a Cup. I just see no reason to spur proven winners like Shanny or Lang at the expense of developping bottom-six forwards. It's not like Chipchura's gonna run to Europe if we sign Lang for a year or anything like that (well, I hope ).

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-08-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old
09-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Lang has proven that he's good for 50-60 points...are you suggesting that Chipchura would be anywhere near that number as our 3rd center?

I am totally fine with bringing in more vets. We've got a nice window this year that may be gone if we wait any longer (lots of UFAs and RFAs to sign next year, something's gotta give). This year may be our best opportunity

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm not saying Shanahan would guarantee us a Cup. I just see no reason to spur proven winners like Shanny or Lang at the expense of developping bottom-six forwards. It's not like Chipchura's gonna run to Europe if we sign Lang for a year or anything like that (well, I hope ).
Chipchura needs to play 4th line and establish himself as a full time NHLer before you have him centering an offensive line. ikt's the Latendresse vs Shanny thing I don't agree with, why bring in Shanahan when you have a guy that can do the job better already in house, he just needs to play with skill players instead of bangers. Shanny played with good players last year and did not do much, plus his physical game is all but gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Lang has proven that he's good for 50-60 points...are you suggesting that Chipchura would be anywhere near that number as our 3rd center?

I am totally fine with bringing in more vets. We've got a nice window this year that may be gone if we wait any longer (lots of UFAs and RFAs to sign next year, something's gotta give). This year may be our best opportunity
Lang would not get 50-60 playing on a 3rd line. Probably closer to 40-45. For the money he makes, he would have to come cheap.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-08-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:18 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Chipchura needs to play 4th line and establish himself as a full time NHLer before you have him centering an offensive line. ikt's the Latendresse vs Shanny thing I don't agree with, why bring in Shanahan when you have a guy that can do the job better already in house, he just needs to play with skill players instead of bangers. Shanny played with good players last year and did not do much, plus his physical game is all but gone.
Wait - I don't want people to misconstrue my argument and think that I want Shanahan on this team. I do not. There's no room for him, he's past his prime, and it would be pointless. I was more using him as an example of the type of player I wouldn't close the door on - guys who have Cup rings, experience, and who can still play are the types I would take at the expense of letting our bottom-six forwards develop more. Those players are extremely valuable when you're making a push for the Cup, even if they may not be as quick or put up as many points as a youngster might. Intangibles, I guess you could say.

Like if I was Gainey you had a crystal ball and told me "if you trade for Lang, it'll guarantee you a Cup, but it means Chipchura would have to play another year in the AHL", I wouldn't even think twice about doing it.

Old
09-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Lang would not get 50-60 playing on a 3rd line. Probably closer to 40-45. For the money he makes, he would have to come cheap.
So you are telling me Robert Lang wouldn't even pick up 40 points playing on a ''3rd'' line with, let's say, Chris Higgins and Sergei Kostitsyn?

Considering Carbonneau values using all of his lines and doesn't use his top line as much as other coaches do, I have a hard time believing that. A Lang centered 3rd offensive unit would play 15 minutes per game for sure, and if he can get 54 points with 18 minutes a game last year in Chicago (with his linemate Havlat often injured), he can get 40 here playing 15 minutes a game with two talented wingers for sure.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
So you are telling me Robert Lang wouldn't even pick up 40 points playing on a ''3rd'' line with, let's say, Chris Higgins and Sergei Kostitsyn?

Considering Carbonneau values using all of his lines and doesn't use his top line as much as other coaches do, I have a hard time believing that. A Lang centered 3rd offensive unit would play 15 minutes per game for sure.
Denis Savard, the Blackhawks coach, loves Robert Lang

Other than Toews, no other forward saw as much icetime as Lang...the GM isn't going to take away a key player in his coaches eyes, they're more likely to move Havlat.

I'd be very surprised if Lang was moved

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:46 PM
gusfring

Lats better than Shanahan? Laugh of the day, right there.

Old
09-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Considering Carbonneau values using all of his lines and doesn't use his top line as much as other coaches do, I have a hard time believing that. A Lang centered 3rd offensive unit would play 15 minutes per game for sure, and if he can get 54 points with 18 minutes a game last year in Chicago (with his linemate Havlat often injured), he can get 40 here playing 15 minutes a game with two talented wingers for sure.
Well said. Lang is definitely my plan "B".

Old
09-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Lats better than Shanahan? Laugh of the day, right there.
Yes he is right now.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Yes he is right now.
Please tell me you are kidding?

I still think Latendresse will turn out to be a very good player. But he has done nothing so far to show that he is a better player than Brendan Shanahan.

09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

Exactly...hence the deal that brought in Tanguay, and ALL the attention for Mats Sundin...BG wants to win this year!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:07 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Yes he is right now.
Stats (last year included) and talent prove you wrong, but don't let that deter you...

Old
09-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Yes he is right now.
Unlike the last couple of respondents, I agree with you. Shanny is yet another year older this year (a downer in his case) and so is Lats (a bonus in his case). I play Latendresse today (not talking career-wise here).