HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Shanahan to Habs

Old
07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
V-2 Schneider

vCash: 500
Shanny would be the right hand shot for the PP and a big arsed presence to park in front of the net.He could show lats how to use his body and how to drive to the net.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:50 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
huh?

You actually need somebody that can skate with the best players in the NHL if you are going to match them up. Shanahan makes Latendresse look like a speedster.
Meh, Latendresses slowness is completely over-exagerated on these boards...he's really not that bad.

Granted his acceleration is weak, but his top speed is fine. He's not nearly as slow as some people around like to whine about.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:59 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
Meh, Latendresses slowness is completely over-exagerated on these boards...he's really not that bad.

Granted his acceleration is weak, but his top speed is fine. He's not nearly as slow as some people around like to whine about.
He hasn't taken power skating for the last three offseasons for nothing, besides your acceleration is probably the most important part of skating in the N/A game. His skating needs work and it's clear as day. That said, if his skating does improve and he brings back the GUI! GUI! GUI! we remembered from training camp he'll have all the tools to be that power forward were looking for.

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:09 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
He hasn't taken power skating for the last three offseasons for nothing, besides your acceleration is probably the most important part of skating in the N/A game. His skating needs work and it's clear as day. That said, if his skating does improve and he brings back the GUI! GUI! GUI! we remembered from training camp he'll have all the tools to be that power forward were looking for.

I never said his skating didn't need work, it does, I said his slowness is over-exagerated on these boards. He's not THAT slow...

Old
07-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Skating never stopped Shanahan Leclair and co from being 50 goal scorers, why do people make such a big deal of his skating. Kovalev's lost a lot of speed since his NYR days and he still had a big year last year.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
CritZ

Shanny can be the snipper with Koivu's ability to playmaking. Who knows?

CritZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritZ View Post
Shanny can be the snipper with Koivu's ability to playmaking. Who knows?
So can Lats, plus he is younger, cheaper and a lot more physical...and we don't have to go get him.

Old
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
yukoner

Quote:
So can Lats, plus he is younger, cheaper and a lot more physical...and we don't have to go get him.
I'm thinking more from a development and mentorship perspective, I think it would be great for Lats to play with someone like Shannahan. It could really help accelerate his development IMO.

But I don't disagree with you, I'd like to see Lats as a permanent fixture on Koivu's line next year, provided we don't sign anyone else which skews the lines.

Old
07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
CritZ

Maybe, but Shanny has the hockey sense that Lats seems to be lacking on, plus Shanny has experience. Just my two cents.

Old
07-14-2008, 02:39 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Skating never stopped Shanahan Leclair and co from being 50 goal scorers, why do people make such a big deal of his skating. Kovalev's lost a lot of speed since his NYR days and he still had a big year last year.
Apples and oranges buddy. Kovalev, Shanny and leclair in the same sentence as Gui? Apples and oranges....

Old
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
I never said his skating didn't need work, it does, I said his slowness is over-exagerated on these boards. He's not THAT slow...
I've always felt that this was true, mainly because the others around him are so fast.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm thinking more from a development and mentorship perspective, I think it would be great for Lats to play with someone like Shannahan. It could really help accelerate his development IMO.

But I don't disagree with you, I'd like to see Lats as a permanent fixture on Koivu's line next year, provided we don't sign anyone else which skews the lines.
Yes if we DON'T get Sundin...If we DO get Sundin then you don't get Shanny...for cap reasons and because you want to keep S.Kost Lats Higgins in your top 9.

Old
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Apples and oranges buddy. Kovalev, Shanny and leclair in the same sentence as Gui? Apples and oranges....
Stick those guys with Begin and Lapierre all year and see how many goals they score.

Old
07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
CritZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob De Funes View Post
I've always felt that this was true, mainly because the others around him are so fast.
Sorry to break the news, but i know few guys who played against him in the Q, they all said how he has very average speed.

Old
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
couz

The thing with Latender is that he gets alot of c rap for his skating because people think he's really slow.

He is not fast, but what makes him look slower than he really is is that he's an ugly skater, his strides are not good and the fact he carries a huge frame make him look even worse.

Fact is that he's slow, but not as slow as people think.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Sorry to break the news, but i know few guys who played against him in the Q, they all said how he has very average speed.
The good news is that skating is something that can be fixed and worked on over time.

Lats has great hands and vision for a guy his size.. I just hope he works on his alpha male skills. Need some fire in him.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
CritZ

If only he had his brother Olivier's speed, would be fine.

Old
07-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
so his speed has not improved at all since then?

and average != slow.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:00 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Stick those guys with Begin and Lapierre all year and see how many goals they score.

I NEVER said Gui doesn't belong on a top line and as a matter of fact if you look on the 08/09 lines thread, I have him on the second line. I simply said that Gui does not deserve to be in the same sentence as Shanny Leclair or Kovalev.

BTW all three can score single-handedly fourth line or not.

Old
07-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I NEVER said Gui doesn't belong on a top line and as a matter of fact if you look on the 08/09 lines thread, I have him on the second line. I simply said that Gui does not deserve to be in the same sentence as Shanny Leclair or Kovalev.

BTW all three can score single-handedly fourth line or not.
Leclair didn't do much after Lindros left and he was still playing top 6 minutes, let alone 3rd or 4th line. Shanny had 22 goals playing with guys like Gomez and Drury and on the #1 PP unit...he wouldn't have scored 10 with guys like Begin Dandenault and Lapierre on the 3rd or 4th line.

Old
07-14-2008, 03:27 PM
centrehice

Wow. A thread about Shanny, and another about MaxPac, both turned completely about Latendresse.

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Leclair didn't do much after Lindros left and he was still playing top 6 minutes, let alone 3rd or 4th line. Shanny had 22 goals playing with guys like Gomez and Drury and on the #1 PP unit...he wouldn't have scored 10 with guys like Begin Dandenault and Lapierre on the 3rd or 4th line.
Dude it is/was the end of both their careers, gimme a break.. Shanny has OVER 600 goals, are you insane? Again, Gui does not belong in the same sentence..

BTW Drury is a 3rd line center.

Old
07-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
Wow. A thread about Shanny, and another about MaxPac, both turned completely about Latendresse.
ha. i was thinking the same thing.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
The only thing i can say about about the Latendresse haters is that they need to watch or play more hockey and start obeserving. Latendresse is a 20 year old kid who managed to get 16 goals playing with Lappierre and mother ****ing Dandenault of all players, other powerforwards like Nash, Bertuzzi, Leclair, Iginla, even Cam Neely weren't doing much better at his age. He's a player who sees his flaws and works on them unlike players like Grabovski who should of hit the gym 5 years ago, Latendresse is working on both cardio and his skating with one of the greatest skating coaches in the world, he's probably after Komisarek and O'byrne the player who can deliver the most bone crushing hits, he also has excellent hands and a very accurate wrister. I mean after 3 years of hearing you morons *****ing on A. Kost and Price, please tell me when will you guys ever learn your lessons?, when are we going to need more proof to just shut up and wait until he pans out, his style of game takes alot of time to adjust, just look at every other powerforward in the game if you don't believe me

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-14-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Poochie_D

No dice. shoulda signed two years ago.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote