HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Calories Burned in Men's League

Old
07-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Rickety Cricket

vCash: 500
Anyone have an idea on how many calories are burned during a game for goalies?

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 02:29 AM
scud9

We have practice-session once week for 75 minutes and one of the guys has the "calculator" on the weist and it is 1200-1300cal for 75 minutes. But we are not slacking out there For example you burn 66cal while sleeping.

Average puls 175, top 192...

scud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:20 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Just a small tidbit. I've been noticing how much sweat weighs.

Ever since I've started working out a few weeks ago(either basketball w/ lifting afterward, or simply open hockey), just for the hell of it, I weighed myself before and after I shower. I weigh 172 ibs, and am just under 6'0", and I drop about 0.6 ibs on average from showering.

If anyone can explain this other then I'm just washing off sweat, go ahead, but I found it interesting.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Lexicon Devil

Bump.

So I wore my new Polar F11 heart monitor to tonight's rec league game. It measures heart rate and estimates calories burned based on this as well as your resting heart rate, age, gender, and weight. It estimated 1130 for the 80-minute game - of course that number includes the 165 or so I would have burned just by lying in bed. So the number was 965 net calories.

But most importantly, my heart rate stayed elevated for several hours after the game (I admit that I am not in great shape). During this "afterburn" period I burned another 500 calories on top of what I usually burn.

So if this device is accurate (and it appears to be within 15%), my hockey game tonight caused me to burn 1465 calories.

I'm pretty certain that the numbers posted earlier in this thread are way too low. If I can burn 300 calories without significant effort in a half-hour on a stationary bike, you can bet you burn alot more than that in a longer and much more intense hockey game.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:32 AM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Just a small tidbit. I've been noticing how much sweat weighs.

Ever since I've started working out a few weeks ago(either basketball w/ lifting afterward, or simply open hockey), just for the hell of it, I weighed myself before and after I shower. I weigh 172 ibs, and am just under 6'0", and I drop about 0.6 ibs on average from showering.

If anyone can explain this other then I'm just washing off sweat, go ahead, but I found it interesting.
0.6 lbs = 0.272 kg

1L of water weighs 1kg. So this would be the equivalent of your body expelling 0.272L of water, or about a cup.

Incidentally, do you pee in the shower?

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:23 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Bump.

So I wore my new Polar F11 heart monitor to tonight's rec league game. It measures heart rate and estimates calories burned based on this as well as your resting heart rate, age, gender, and weight. It estimated 1130 for the 80-minute game - of course that number includes the 165 or so I would have burned just by lying in bed. So the number was 965 net calories.

But most importantly, my heart rate stayed elevated for several hours after the game (I admit that I am not in great shape). During this "afterburn" period I burned another 500 calories on top of what I usually burn.

So if this device is accurate (and it appears to be within 15%), my hockey game tonight caused me to burn 1465 calories.

I'm pretty certain that the numbers posted earlier in this thread are way too low. If I can burn 300 calories without significant effort in a half-hour on a stationary bike, you can bet you burn alot more than that in a longer and much more intense hockey game.
Interesting.

I would have estimated ~800 calories burned in a game for a rec league player...

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 08:53 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
0.6 lbs = 0.272 kg

1L of water weighs 1kg. So this would be the equivalent of your body expelling 0.272L of water, or about a cup.

Incidentally, do you pee in the shower?

good laugh

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:28 PM
TheDave1022

Does anyone know of a good heart rate monitor that counts calories to use when playing hockey?

I've been looking around, and maybe the Polar ones are the best. Not sure how well it would work with the transmitter strapped on and pads.

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman17 View Post
I agree. I burn about 300 calories on a bike in 20 min going at a decent pace. I estimate an hour and a half game youd burn closer to 800-1000 calories.
I would agree with that ... we play sometimes 2 hours and I am a defenseman of which we have 2 sets of 2 so I get a lot of ice. If I play hockey at least twice a week I lose weight very easily.

I lost about 40lbs last winter by diet change and have kept it off all year. I cut my calorie intake as well as cutting out beef fat. I still eat fats as you need those ... the other thing i cut out were some high content carbohydrates like potatoes and pasta. I still eat carbs of that sort but drastically reduced them, you need GOOD carbs.

Most people require at least 2000 calories a day to remain healthy according to the recommended daily allowance the US uses. That is an average however and does not include big guys or guys who are small.

Women make an entirely different kind of caloric intake.

Basically this varies for each individual, I think we all know if we gain weight or lose weight easily.

I do not know what my daily coloric intake is honestly or what I lose playing hockey. I am just assuming and guessing.

I can state however that playing at least twice a week and both of those being a good amount of ice where you are pretty pooped afterwards keeps the weight off very easily and in fact I lose weight.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:58 AM
prorobo

Send a message via AIM to prorobo
It depends on the skill level of your league and more importantly, how much beer you consume before and after (and sometimes during)!

prorobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by prorobo View Post
It depends on the skill level of your league and more importantly, how much beer you consume before and after (and sometimes during)!
Well then I should add that I do not drink alcohol of any kind as well as no longer drinking any juices made with ADDED sugar or any soda ('pop' as some parts of the US call it).

.... to go along with my post above.

I would imagine a beer drinker isn't going to lose any weight playing hockey since they are still taking in too many colories needed in one single day.

Old
01-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Saved*

Get in shape to play hockey, not play hockey to get in shape.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:14 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
or both. Nothing wrong with using hockey as part of your fitness program. Sports are the best way to get in shape if you play them on a regular basis. Who actually enjoys doing cardio? Well, sports is cardio that's actually extremely fun.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:16 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Well then I should add that I do not drink alcohol of any kind as well as no longer drinking any juices made with ADDED sugar or any soda ('pop' as some parts of the US call it).

.... to go along with my post above.

I would imagine a beer drinker isn't going to lose any weight playing hockey since they are still taking in too many colories needed in one single day.
It depends. If you don't eat a high calorie diet and you drink a beer or two you may end up getting to your weight loss or maintenance calorie amount. Then playing sports can drop it even more. A beer or two isn't going to kill you unless you drink a high calorie beer or eat lots of food everyday.

Old
01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
That is all fine and dandy if you are a yungin' gunnin' for a career in hockey.

I'm over 40 and hockey is a way to stay in shape.

Old
01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
yea how old are you? how many kids you got? how many hours you work a week?

I fit in 3 ice times a week, 1 game night and 2 pickups, are enough to keep me reasonably fit and manage my many responsibilities.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Wease

I lost 60+ pounds nearly 2 years ago, not by playing hockey, but by doing the elliptical, some stationary bike, some lifting, and really watching what I ate. Did this over about 6 months. I played hockey as well, sometimes right after or before I worked out! That really helped. So I was playing about 2-3 days a week, along with working out 5-6 days a week. When I was on the elliptical for a good 30 minutes, I'd burn around 600 calories on it. 20 minutes on the bike, another 180 burned.

I hadn't ever really quit hockey. I was overweight by quite a bit (I'd still like to drop about 20 more pounds), but the hockey I was playing wasn't helping me lose weight at all. I really had to change my diet and add the gym time to drop pounds. So when someone says "Get in shape to play hockey, not play hockey to get in shape", that's me right there. I need the gym to keep me in shape to play...

Last edited by Wease: 01-23-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:11 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I played last night with my new Polar FT7 heart rate monitor. I turned it on when I got into the locker room and kept it on until I got home. It was probably a little more than 2 hours. According to the heart rate monitor by the end of the game I had burned over 900 calories. By the time I left the locker room I was over 1000. I was at about 1150 when I got home.

My average heart rate for that time period was 110. My max was 202 (which I guess is above the formula for my max heart rate). I'd normally check when I got off the ice and it'd be around 180 and then drop fairly quickly. So I guess the 202 occurred in the middle of a shift. I didnt' check what it was by the time my resting period was over though. Next time I want to see how fast my heart rate drops back down to at least around 140. After the game was done, my heart rate was staying around 110 for the majority of the time in the locker room. After I got in my car it dropped to 80-90 until I got home.

Old
01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I played last night with my new Polar FT7 heart rate monitor. I turned it on when I got into the locker room and kept it on until I got home. It was probably a little more than 2 hours. According to the heart rate monitor by the end of the game I had burned over 900 calories. By the time I left the locker room I was over 1000. I was at about 1150 when I got home.

My average heart rate for that time period was 110. My max was 202 (which I guess is above the formula for my max heart rate). I'd normally check when I got off the ice and it'd be around 180 and then drop fairly quickly. So I guess the 202 occurred in the middle of a shift. I didnt' check what it was by the time my resting period was over though. Next time I want to see how fast my heart rate drops back down to at least around 140. After the game was done, my heart rate was staying around 110 for the majority of the time in the locker room. After I got in my car it dropped to 80-90 until I got home.
Is this an item they sell for athletes or is it something your doctor wanted you to do?

I'm just curious. My ex-sister inlaw had to wear a heart monitor around for a couple of weeks because she was having heart issues.

Old
01-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Wease

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post

Height / Age / Weight? If you want to, I'd be curious...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Areid1990

Quote:
Is this an item they sell for athletes or is it something your doctor wanted you to do?

I'm just curious. My ex-sister inlaw had to wear a heart monitor around for a couple of weeks because she was having heart issues.
It's an athletic one and it's a great one I am looking into getting. I think it's like $130 Canadian or something, but it's worth it.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Mo...5000551&sr=8-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
Height / Age / Weight? If you want to, I'd be curious...
5'8", 24, 170

Old
02-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Joe Cole

I am amazed that some guys here seem to play less than an hour with 3 full forward lines....

I honestly would not pay for that.

We play for 90 minutes and have 10 skaters max. If there is an extra players by mistake, we as delicately as possible tell him he is not playing.

Every shift is "foot to the floor", then get off for 90 seconds.... and repeat.

Anything less, and it has to be for free

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
noobman

Quote:
That is all fine and dandy if you are a yungin' gunnin' for a career in hockey.

I'm over 40 and hockey is a way to stay in shape.
I still buy into the "get fit to play sports" mentality over the playing for fitness mentality.

That's mainly because playing sports inherently creates muscle imbalances. With a well structured exercise program, you can target these imbalances and rid yourself of them. Besides, hockey can be dangerous and isn't the easiest on the joints.

And for whatever reason, *just* playing hockey (even 3x a week) or JUST working out results in me getting really fat... which is strange, since I eat a very balanced diet that isn't clean, but is much better than the skinny guy who eats burgers everyday for lunch.

In the month I took off of playing to get my knee healed up (incl. 2 weeks of NOTHING, 1 week of basic leg strength exercises, this week cardio + strengthening) I've packed on close to 10 pounds... most of which is fat stuck around my abdomen

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I still buy into the "get fit to play sports" mentality over the playing for fitness mentality.

That's mainly because playing sports inherently creates muscle imbalances. With a well structured exercise program, you can target these imbalances and rid yourself of them. Besides, hockey can be dangerous and isn't the easiest on the joints.

And for whatever reason, *just* playing hockey (even 3x a week) or JUST working out results in me getting really fat... which is strange, since I eat a very balanced diet that isn't clean, but is much better than the skinny guy who eats burgers everyday for lunch.

In the month I took off of playing to get my knee healed up (incl. 2 weeks of NOTHING, 1 week of basic leg strength exercises, this week cardio + strengthening) I've packed on close to 10 pounds... most of which is fat stuck around my abdomen
I know what you mean for sure... I gained weight when I had (still have) a bulging disc issue in 2005. I was laid up for a few weeks.

Yeah I want an exercise bike .... I wish I could run but the childhood infection I had in my knee where I almost lost a leg left a hole in the side of it and damaged cartilege. I can run but not far and not for long, funny how skating absolutely does not bother me at all.

When I was young my knee would lock once in a while and even now if I carry a backpack or extra weight like a hockey bag my knee clicks when I walk. it isn't painful at all ... running just feels like I shouldn't be doing that.

An exercise bike would be perfect for me and I would use it a lot. Maybe I'll see a good deal on one some day.

So.... right now hockey is a way to stay in shape for me. I would rather get in shape to play hockey.