HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT - Ted Nolan out in NYI!

Old
07-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Pascal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
I wouldn't mind Ted Nolan in Montreal, I gaurentee if he were coach, we wouldn't have a single lazy player on our team.
yea, cuz i guess finishing first was because we had a bunch of lazy players. fire carbo!

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Haddock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
He was heavily involved in putting together the group that almost bought TB. I heard him talking about it on radio, around draft time I think, about hoew at the last minute, partner x called him and said, 'there's no way I can work with partner y'. They had to back out and the current group was next in line.

Since then, I think he's mainly involved in media, sportsnet, a few other things I'd imagine.

I don't know if he's a good hockey man or not, but I like Maclean.

There are some media guys who I respect who are big Nolan supporters, and considered his absence a real shame over the years.

I listen and I get the feeling that he's very savvy at positioning himself a certain way publically. He presents himself favorably while never tooting his own horn. It invariably makes a GM look bad and becomes a problem. Nolan has proven that he can take your tired and hungry and bring them together. I have no idea how he's handle a good team where you have to let talent express itself.

Would Kovalev have rebounded under Nolan ? There was a comment about 10 posts ago about how the team would work harder under Nolan. I never buy that stuff, if you have secondary players, you can sell work ethic and grinding shift after grinding shift. Ice some diverse talent and let's see how it works out.

I don't think Nolan's a bad coach, a bad guy, but he seems to have quite a following, more than his record would suggest. I think Nolan's one of those guys with a lot of natural charisma that you meet and are impressed. Great coach ? Not as sure.
This all sounds about right. According to his abilities, he would probably do a pretty good job as an assistant. I doubt he would enjoy playing second fiddle to anyone though, considering he can hardly do it when it comes to his gms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejean View Post
One thing we know is that Nolan been fired twice already for "communication gap" with management. This should ring a bell and I don't think he'll be hired any time soon by an NHL team.
Actually, he was not fired in Buffalo. He refused a new contract because it was only for one year and he tought he was worth more than that. When things went south, the Sabres retired their offer and Nolan started his exile.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote