HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets Go Rangers national anthem chants at Non-Ranger games...

Old
07-12-2008, 09:28 PM
jmb9191

vCash: 500
Lets Go Rangers national anthem chants at Non-Ranger games...

Today I was at the Met game. I was sitting only a few rows off the field, so it was around a lot of stuck up jerks. Anyway, me and my Ranger fan friends had the great idea to scream Lets Go Rangers at the appropriate time during the anthem. We did, and people stared, got mad, looked confused. After the anthem, we had about 8 people say something to us, one about how her husband was wounded in Iraq, one how were a bunch of punks and we think we're so cool because we did it, one how baseball is a respectful game and hockey isn't and thats why they do it there, one told me not to go to a baseball game if I care about hockey (didn't get that one)

However, i've been to other events, non-hockey, and heard this chant. St. Johns games, Knicks games....ect.

I was proud to rep the Rangers, even if people got mad. They said I didn't respect America by doing it, my country, blah blah blah. No, I do not support the war in Iraq, but I didn't do it to "disrespect" anyone.

People take stuff wayyyyyy to seriously these days. Anyone else ever just spontaneously scream "LETS GO RANGERS"?

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

tell em to take the stick out of their *****.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:49 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

What the hell? They definitely took that way too seriously. I was at the Mets game today as well (not a Mets fan, I'm a Jays fan... but it was a free ticket/ride). Didn't hear ya though, haha.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:52 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
That's one thing I can't stand, actually, is people chanting during the National Anthem. There is 2 minutes a game when we're supposed to stand, put our hand over our heart, and be quiet or sing. You could have done the chant at any other time (and knowing a Mets game, its usually awfully quiet in there).

The national anthem is not the time to cheer for your favorite team. That kind of thing happens everywhere in college hockey and I absolutely loathe it. Easily, its the one thing about college hockey that I dislike.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

They can suck it. You paid the admission price, so you can do what you want within reasonable bounds. People are way too uptight these days.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Okay, I'm guessing you are what - 17? 19? 'Cause you're showing an awful lack of maturity by a) behaving that way and then b) posting here looking for sympathy?!?!?!

Seriously, what the F is wrong with you? That's the NATIONAL ANTHEM. Most people on these boards would probably call me a bleeding heart liberal, but when it comes to showing pride in my country and unity with my fellow Americans (regardless of what differences we may have when we step in the voting booth), that moment at the start of any sporting event is very meaningful. Don't you have any respect - either for your country or for tradition?

Now if you want to get me started on the fact that George Steinbrenner has decided we all need to stand and treat a song that has no official status with equal gravity every 7th inning stretch, I'll be much more sympathetic.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:37 PM
ruckus*

[QUOTE=BrooklynRangersFan;14853495]Okay, I'm guessing you are what - 17? 19? 'Cause you're showing an awful lack of maturity by a) behaving that way and then b) posting here looking for sympathy?!?!?!

Seriously, what the F is wrong with you? That's the NATIONAL ANTHEM. Most people on these boards would probably call me a bleeding heart liberal, but when it comes to showing pride in my country and unity with my fellow Americans (regardless of what differences we may have when we step in the voting booth), that moment at the start of any sporting event is very meaningful. Don't you have any respect - either for your country or for tradition?

Now if you want to get me started on the fact that George Steinbrenner has decided we all need to stand and treat a song that has no official status with equal gravity every 7th inning stretch, I'll be much more sympathetic.[/QUOTE]

God still loves you. Believe me.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:40 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Okay, I'm guessing you are what - 17? 19? 'Cause you're showing an awful lack of maturity by a) behaving that way and then b) posting here looking for sympathy?!?!?!

Now if you want to get me started on the fact that George Steinbrenner has decided we all need to stand and treat a song that has no official status with equal gravity every 7th inning stretch, I'll be much more sympathetic.
It was probably uncalled for, but some people are a little too serious. I dont think it is disrespectful at all.It would be a different story if it was a chant directly insulting the country or the anthem. (like when an event is played in Canada they boo the US National Anthem)

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
It was probably uncalled for, but some people are a little too serious. I dont think it is disrespectful at all.It would be a different story if it was a chant directly insulting the country or the anthem. (like when an event is played in Canada they boo the US National Anthem)
BrooklynRangersfan is right about this one. We're fighting a war on two continents and live in a city that was recently attacked. And you're suggesting people should lighten up during the national anthem? Have just a little respect every once in a while.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:26 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I used to work in a small grocery store with only 6 aisles. Around the time I would start work, the boss would always be in aisle 6 setting up the soda delivery that just came, and I'd always be working all the way on the other side of the store. So to see if I was there, a couple minutes after I start work my boss would always yell across the store "Let's Go Rangers!" and wait for my reply. I think we freaked out more than a few customers.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:08 AM
bagh

hm.....after an anthem is one thing, but you never do anything DURING an anthem. IMHO I think that bit is pretty much a universal convention in any culture. As for the folks who say you should be able to do certain stuff because you paid for the ticket, well if a lot of people felt the same way and they paid for their tickets, shouldn't their opinions count. I mean I've been to games where certain people really ruined the game. For example, once at the Air Canada Center a bunch of guys were trying to heckle palyers using some seriously harsh language right in front of a large group of kids. IMO that's not right.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:30 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
I used to work in a small grocery store with only 6 aisles. Around the time I would start work, the boss would always be in aisle 6 setting up the soda delivery that just came, and I'd always be working all the way on the other side of the store. So to see if I was there, a couple minutes after I start work my boss would always yell across the store "Let's Go Rangers!" and wait for my reply. I think we freaked out more than a few customers.
thats hilarious.......you had a great boss

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:41 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
That's one thing I can't stand, actually, is people chanting during the National Anthem. There is 2 minutes a game when we're supposed to stand, put our hand over our heart, and be quiet or sing. You could have done the chant at any other time (and knowing a Mets game, its usually awfully quiet in there).

The national anthem is not the time to cheer for your favorite team. That kind of thing happens everywhere in college hockey and I absolutely loathe it. Easily, its the one thing about college hockey that I dislike.
Agreed. I know its a tradition in Ranger games but I never play along. My friend always wants to yell it but I make sure he shuts it.

I find it disrespectful...but then again I wouldnt go as far as go up to people who do it and try to lecture them. Like someone said, they paid for there ticket, they can do what they want, as long as its legal (not saying the can start a damn fight in the crowd cuz their team is losing )

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Oh get over it. It wasn't even close to being "disrespectful" and shouldn't of hurt no one. "We are fighting wars and such" is a pathetic escuse to be bothered by this and yes I do have relatives currently in the war. If they started booing or something, then hell yeah it is disrespectful but c'mon, if you are that uptight then you need to loosen up.

Although it could be considered a bit "immature".

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:12 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoZ View Post
Oh get over it. It wasn't even close to being "disrespectful" and shouldn't of hurt no one. "We are fighting wars and such" is a pathetic escuse to be bothered by this and yes I do have relatives currently in the war. If they started booing or something, then hell yeah it is disrespectful but c'mon, if you are that uptight then you need to loosen up.

Although it could be considered a bit "immature".
If it can be considered "immature" then it makes little sense you cant find it "disrespectful".

Its just stupid. And if you can't see why other fans or even your own Ranger fans see "why" it would be considered disrespectful then you are just as immature as the ones yelling during the anthem.

Because it doesn't hurt anyone literally means its not disrespectful? Wow. Hey lets take the an American flag and throw it on the ground...hey its not hurting anyone so whats the big deal? We're not being disrespectful, since nobody is hurt..people need to loosen up

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:15 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I just don't understand the point of doing it at a Mets game honestly. When it's yelled at MSG, that's kind of a cool tradition to me personally..and many other teams' fans do it as well, so I don't have a problem with it there.

Besides, there is also cheering going on during the anthem. Lots of it. More than almost any other arena I've ever seen (maybe except for Chicago). I love it at Rangers games and I think it adds to the ambiance, but I don't get doing it at a Mets game in the middle of July.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:22 AM
McMonster

I could understand if you screamed "Let's Go Mets"

but screaming "Let's Go Rangers" at a Mets game is just idiotic and not funny regardless if its during the national anthem or not.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:58 AM
DM23BK30

OK, people use the whole Iraq thing as an excuse to be mad at somebody.

Now personally, you're an idiot for chanting "let's go rangers" during the anthem because it accomplishes nothing, and is done more for your personal satisfaction than supporting your favorite hockey team. If you were drunk, then that's fine. We all act like retards when we're drunk.

As far as people at Shea telling you that they have relatives in iraq, tell them that's very nice and to **** because it has nothing to do with you being idiot and I hate when people use the whole relative or friend in iraq thing to validate their patriotism...I always tell people if you love talking about iraq so much, then sign up and go there. I did. It's an easy process.

Bottom line: save it for Rangers games......

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 03:03 AM
xander

what where you expecting? You went to a baseball game, shouted a hockey cheer during the national anthem, and then where surprised that you annoyed the people around you? Regardless of whether or not the people around you took this too seriously, why would you even do this? It's not clever or even relevant, it's just unnecessary.

If someone came to a rangers game and started up a baseball chant (during the anthems or otherwise) we would all be perplexed and would probably make fun of those individuals for being at the wrong sporting event.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:39 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

thats a great idea! Last year i wore my rangers jersey to my brothers football game (not the same thing). Next year i'm going to go to a random sporting event (lets say golf) and scream lets go rangers!

Those people are morons. I cant believe they would say that! Hockey is the best sport in the world and their stupid. baseball is for those who cant... enough said.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Went to Motley Crue the other nightat Jones Beach Theatre. Good times, awesome tailgate...Anyway, we had the luvury box. Towards the end of the show, we started a "let's go Rangers" chant. It actually got going a bit. The box next to us chimed in, and a bunch of people below us did too. Thought it was pretty cool.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:59 AM
SaveByLundqvist

lets just edit the national anthem to include "Lets go Rangers" then everyones happy

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:32 AM
dank

wow..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:39 AM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist View Post
lets just edit the national anthem to include "Lets go Rangers" then everyones happy
Problem solved....

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:50 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I have a hard time believing this won't turn into a pissing match between two very different types of people, and I fear it's already started, and therefore serves no purpose as it's completely irrelevant to anything involving the New York Rangers.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote