HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Lookout for the Gophers

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Lookout for the Gophers

Looks like they're getting it into gear just at the right time. Three-peat anyone?

Old
02-02-2004, 08:48 PM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Looks like they're getting it into gear just at the right time. Three-peat anyone?

Oh its tru!

Old
02-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Tallackson has yet to get in his playoff clutch mode, Man if only he was consistant he would be damn good.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:14 AM
Al Alven

Send a message via AIM to Al Alven
Did Ryan Potulny officially redshirt the season?

Also, does anyone know anything about his current rehab status?

Old
02-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Goldy

Ryan Potulny has just recently started skating again. He has made a few comments about wanting to play again this year, but the coaches would prefer he sit out the rest of the year and apply for a medical redshirt.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy
Ryan Potulny has just recently started skating again. He has made a few comments about wanting to play again this year, but the coaches would prefer he sit out the rest of the year and apply for a medical redshirt.

I heard/read that too.

BTW, Vanek is expected back in the lineup this weekend. Also, Grant Potulny might be playing as well (this according to the 'Minnesota Daily'). If both players are back this weekend this will give the Gophers a significant boost going into the weekend series versus UAA, especially as far as the power play is concerned. UMD shut it down (and quite effectively I might add) this past weekend.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:09 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
No.

Seriously, they are playing much better than before Christmas, and are coming on strong. Whether they have enough to make it through the playoffs without either Potulny is hard to say. I don't see Briggs as a championship-caliber goalie, just a very good one. But if he plays out of his head for a few games, they sure have a chance to do some damage in the playoffs.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Go4Hockeychick

Send a message via AIM to Go4Hockeychick
nobody thought we could win a title with Hauser or Weber either....GPotulny will be back for this weekends series. Vanek will sit, but will be fine come playoff time....the spanking at the hands of UMD should do wonders for their egos...they didn't even show up to play that weekend....

Old
02-20-2004, 04:47 PM
jiggs 10

I thought Grant was out for a few more weeks? I never thought Hauser was a bad goalie, but I was kind of shocked when the Gophs won with Weber. We'll see how things are sitting in 3 weeks. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Gophs in 3rd place by then, behind North Dakota and UMD. But it's a crazy league, anything can (and usual does, to UND ) happen in 3 weeks.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Go4Hockeychick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
I thought Grant was out for a few more weeks? I never thought Hauser was a bad goalie, but I was kind of shocked when the Gophs won with Weber. We'll see how things are sitting in 3 weeks. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Gophs in 3rd place by then, behind North Dakota and UMD. But it's a crazy league, anything can (and usual does, to UND ) happen in 3 weeks.

grant healed much faster than anyone expected him to. And he looks like he's been playing since Oct...much like last year. This years Gopher team continues to baffle me. They'll play a few weeks of good gopher hockey that we all know they can play, and then they'll have a weekend or a game like we did in duluth, where the guys don't even show up to play. It's becoming increasingly frustrating as we get closer to playoff time.

Next season should be interesting...we have 10 freshmen coming in...man are we gonna be young!

Old
02-23-2004, 11:56 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Definitely not going to 4-peat

Old
02-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Go4Hockeychick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Definitely not going to 4-peat
we gotta 3 peat first!

Old
02-23-2004, 06:24 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
True, hey why don't you chat with the Wild people. We definitely need more people since I'm the only active one!

Old
02-24-2004, 10:46 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
True, hey why don't you chat with the Wild people. We definitely need more people since I'm the only active one!

What am I, chopped liver? Granted, i'm not on as much as you but...

Old
02-24-2004, 11:48 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
No but I have to defend mainly every Wild post. DW, ceber and you defend whenever you feel like it but I feel like a field commander!

Old
02-24-2004, 06:04 PM
DW

Just following the leader.....

Old
02-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Go4Hockeychick

Quote:
I haven't had time to follow the wild as well as I did last season. We don't have cable and school/work have kept me pretty busy. I chime in every once in a while....

Old
02-25-2004, 03:06 AM
c-carp

Troy Riddle?

Sorry if this question has already been asked and or answered, but how is Troy Riddle playing this year.

Thanks

Old
02-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Go4Hockeychick

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Sorry if this question has already been asked and or answered, but how is Troy Riddle playing this year.

Thanks
Troy's been great. He's probably my favorite gopher (but part of that's because I grew up with him LOL) He started out a little slow and looked off for the first few weeks, but so did the entire team.....he's really stepped it up since then. He'll definately need a couple seasons in the AHL before he ever has chance of cracking the Blues' lineup, but he'll get there someday

Old
02-26-2004, 03:46 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4Hockeychick
Troy's been great. He's probably my favorite gopher (but part of that's because I grew up with him LOL) He started out a little slow and looked off for the first few weeks, but so did the entire team.....he's really stepped it up since then. He'll definately need a couple seasons in the AHL before he ever has chance of cracking the Blues' lineup, but he'll get there someday
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the info.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:23 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
No but I have to defend mainly every Wild post. DW, ceber and you defend whenever you feel like it but I feel like a field commander!

Yeah that is tru. but i can't be on all day. I get on these boards from work..no internet at home.

Old
03-02-2004, 03:04 AM
Gordon Howe is #1

3-peat??

Come on guys, three-peat? They were swept by Denver. Next year they will be better, hopefully w/o Vanek.

Old
03-02-2004, 08:22 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Howe is #1
Come on guys, three-peat? They were swept by Denver. Next year they will be better, hopefully w/o Vanek.

This thread is pretty old. Back when it was started, they were on a good streak. It's going to be tough for them to win it this year, but I wouldn't count the Gophers out until it's all said and done.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Go4Hockeychick

I'm going to just copy and paste a couple things I posted on another message board...they sum up my feelings on this season pretty well.

1. If we don't get home ice (which is looking somewhat unlikely right now), we will not be at the X in March. The way we have played on the road this season is atrocious (anyone want to make a guess as to what might have happened if we would have played Tech on the road???) If we aren't home for the first round of the WCHA tourney, we will not make the final five.
However, that doesn't matter for the NCAA's, we're in that tourney regardless of where they finish in the WCHA. Technically, we could make a good run and win the tourney...however VERY unlikely, especially with how inconsistent this team is. I do think they could beat UND and UMD...they just need to actually show up to play. At UMD this season, the Gophers didn't even try. And when the team decided to actually show up and play against UND, they won. So, could they beat them? yes, they COULD. Is it likely? with this years effort, unfortunately, no, it's not.

Being as there is the BC/UMN alliance, once the Gophers are done, I'll be rooting for BC all the way.

All that being said, it was a great 2 year run, followed by an incredibly frustrating season. We may be contenders next year, we may not. Either way, I'll be at Mariucci cheering my butt off every weekend again next year. Other teams be warned though....if we're good next year, we'll be scary good for the next 3 or 4. We've got 10 incoming freshmen. The future is bright for the Gophers...Just not for this year.

2. I watched years of struggling teams under Woog...but this team is so much more painful to watch. On paper, the Gophers are the best team in the nation...bar none. However, Vanek's "I'll play when I want to play" attitude seems to have rubbed off on the rest of the team. Woog's years were hard...but those teams didn't have anywhere near the talent this years team has. I'm personally kinda hoping Vanek opts to go pro for next season...I think his attitude is debilitating the entire squad.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Coach Lucia has surgery, will watch the SCSU series from the press box.

HERE is the story.

Closed Thread