HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Centers Flyers can get for Prospects & Draft picks

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Bennevol10

vCash: 500
Centers Flyers can get for Prospects & Draft picks

I rank them as teams will ask for least in return from Flyers because of salaries dumb or free agent status or productions or age factor.

1) Pierre Turgeon (probably draft pick)
2) Adam Oates (probably draft pick)
3) Rod Brind'Amour (probably draft pick & merginal prospect)
4) Ron Francis (probably draft pick & merginal prospect)
5) Rob Niedermayer (probably draft pick & prospect)
6) Robert Lang (probably draft pick & prospect)
7) Steve Rucchin (probably draft pick & decent prospect)
8) Jason Arnott (probably draft picks & above average prospect)
9) Alexei Zhamnov (probably draft pick & one of the top prospect)
10) Sergei Fedorov (probably draft picks & one of the top prospect)

Flyers always can use Sharp or Somik or Radivojevic as trade bait because they are young and cheap... Unfortunately, I think Flyers have to trade for Center.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10

I don't see it happening though.

Oh, and it's spelt Marginal

Old
02-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces

I don't see it happening though.

Oh, and it's spelt Marginal
I say go the cheapest route. I see no reason to give up prospects when Primeau and Roenick should both be back before the playoffs. We only need to get someone to fill the gap. Bring back Oates!!!!!

Old
02-18-2004, 07:55 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
We need wingers, not centers.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Rex88

We need health and a hot goaltender - anything else would help.
At this stage we need to see IF JR is going to return before a move.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10
I rank them as teams will ask for least in return from Flyers because of salaries dumb or free agent status or productions or age factor.

1) Pierre Turgeon (probably draft pick)
No. Dallas is in the same position we are.
Quote:
2) Adam Oates (probably draft pick)
No.
Quote:
Doubtful he makes too much and he's not a UFA
Quote:
4) Ron Francis (probably draft pick & merginal prospect)
Possible but will only be traded if he asks to be
Quote:
5) Rob Niedermayer (probably draft pick & prospect)
Wrong answer
Quote:
6) Robert Lang (probably draft pick & prospect)
Wrong answer, too little we give up
Quote:
7) Steve Rucchin (probably draft pick & decent prospect)
Wrong answer he wont be traded
Quote:
8) Jason Arnott (probably draft picks & above average prospect)
Wrong answer, he wont be traded, if he is it won't be for a rebuilding Dallas team. Why are you going after guys on Dallas when they are trying to get better not worse?
Quote:
9) Alexei Zhamnov (probably draft pick & one of the top prospect)
Wrong answer.
Quote:
10) Sergei Fedorov (probably draft picks & one of the top prospect)
wrong answer

Quote:
Flyers always can use Sharp or Somik or Radivojevic as trade bait because they are young and cheap... Unfortunately, I think Flyers have to trade for Center.
Somik as bait? Who do you expect to get for him?

Old
02-18-2004, 12:05 PM
MojoJojo

How about Doug Weight? I'm not a big fan of his, but I know he is overpaid, so may be gotten fairly cheaply. He's definately still got game.

St Louis is fighting for the last spot. If they continue to implode, they might decide to throw in the towell and rebuild.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Somik as bait? Who do you expect to get for him?
You'd be extremely lucky to get a mid round pick for him.

A 5th round pick would be a fleeceing.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:46 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
We need wingers, not centers.
correct.

IF and i mean IF JR were to announce his retirement, it wouldn't be desperate times, go out and overpay for a center (again). The key to it all is keeping Primeau healthy. Primeau, Handzus, Lapointe and Sharp is a very good center lineup. I'm begining to like Patrick Sharp more and more. Surely there is probably a veteran we can grab for a lower pick, but as was mentioned, I'd rather see us get a winger.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:58 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
YAY! Let's keep trading away draft picks and the future superstars of the Flyers for mediocre veterans!

Old
02-18-2004, 03:00 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
CLARKE TO CONSIDER ANOTHER TRADE.

PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS: Rich Hofmann yesterday reported Flyers GM Bob Clarke isn't ruling out the possibility of making another trade in the wake of losing top centres Jeremy Roenick and Keith Primeau to injury. Roenick is out indefinitely with a broken jaw and concussion while Primeau is at least a week away from returning from a concussion. Clarke says any decisions will depend on their status. Clarke said he'll know by the end of February if he'll need to swing another trade to bring in a centre by the March trade deadline.

Spector's Note: My thanks to Dave Caldwell. Fortunately the Flyers do have depth in talent to swing a deal, but that's no guarantee there will be enough to bring in a quality centre. Most likely Clarke will be checking out those non-playoff clubs who are looking to dump salary.

Spector's.

Old
02-18-2004, 03:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Spector's.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:16 PM
blah

Brilliant observation Spector. It's not like Clarke does that every season or anything.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:17 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
YAY! Let's keep trading away draft picks and the future superstars of the Flyers for mediocre veterans!
Please, do everybody here a favor, and become a Penguins fan.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:14 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes, because if you don't support getting rid of all future talent you cannot be a Flyers fan.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:29 PM
MASK

Send a message via AIM to MASK
Quote:
Yes, because if you don't support getting rid of all future talent you cannot be a Flyers fan.
Don't you want to win now? There might not be an NHL for awile... :mad:

Old
02-18-2004, 05:59 PM
flyerchick12

I think if Roenick was going to retire he would be fair to the team and make the decession before the trade deadline so they would be able to get another center.

If Primeau is back next week I really don't think Clarke will trade for a center maybe a winger but again you can never predict what Clarke will do or won't do

Old
02-18-2004, 09:36 PM
blah

Quote:
Your not a fan. You're a moron who has a hard-on for young players and a losing team.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:40 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Resorting to flaming already, pal?

Yes, I guess that creating your own team from a core of young players automatically equates to a losing team....after all, every dominant team (including the modern day Devils, Wings and Avs) got to where they are from developing young players.

I want the way the team is managed to go in a new direction, that is all.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:43 PM
blah

That's not possible. Yet you keep saying it. Why?

Old
02-18-2004, 09:43 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

What exactly isn't possible?

Old
02-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

You all must obey ObeySteve! Giving away youth will give us no future. It is possible to win now without giving up young talent. Granted, the youth may never turn into anything, but on the other hand, some of these kids could be stars. Trading someone like Carter for an aging veteran whose job is to only fill in until Primeau gets back is a waste (and don't think Clarke won't do it! If we learn anything form the past, it is that Clarke is capable of pulling off any trade; both good and bad). Being a dissapointed FLyers fan since their last Cup, I am tired of trading for the immediate playoffs only to fall short. I would rather build a team from the draft or from prospects (which, as Obey Steve says, is how all recent Cup winners have been built) than tinkering each year at the trade deadline in an attempt to get lucky on some veteran.

Clarke doesn't want to finish second in the division...I understand that. But what if we trade and still finish behind the Devils? Then the trade was pointless. I'd rather take my chances on what we got than on some old goat.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:02 PM
blah

Quote:
What exactly isn't possible?
Maintaining a team at the level of the Flyers w/o dealing some futures.

Quote:
Yes, I guess that creating your own team from a core of young players automatically equates to a losing team....after all, every dominant team (including the modern day Devils, Wings and Avs) got to where they are from developing young players.

I want the way the team is managed to go in a new direction, that is all.
I don't see a young Yzerman, Fedorov, Sakic, or Broduer in the Flyers system.

The Avs were built on the Lindros and Roy trades. The Devils built their team on a system and a goalie. The Wings built around Yzerman and Fedorov, they did make some great picks, but they also added a lot of big name FAs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
You all must obey ObeySteve! Giving away youth will give us no future. It is possible to win now without giving up young talent. Granted, the youth may never turn into anything, but on the other hand, some of these kids could be stars. Trading someone like Carter for an aging veteran whose job is to only fill in until Primeau gets back is a waste (and don't think Clarke won't do it! If we learn anything form the past, it is that Clarke is capable of pulling off any trade; both good and bad). Being a dissapointed FLyers fan since their last Cup, I am tired of trading for the immediate playoffs only to fall short. I would rather build a team from the draft or from prospects (which, as Obey Steve says, is how all recent Cup winners have been built) than tinkering each year at the trade deadline in an attempt to get lucky on some veteran.
I find that hard to believe. Have you watched their last two games? They didn't even look like a playoff team. Roenick leaves a giant hole in the lineup. Primeau being out also doesn't help.

I'm tired of never watching my favorite teams win a championship. If they have to gut the entire prospect pool to win a Cup then do it w/o hesitation.

Those teams were built on drafts from as long ago as 1984. I really don't want to wait 10-15 years for them to draft high enough to get a player of that calibur and develop said player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
Clarke doesn't want to finish second in the division...I understand that. But what if we trade and still finish behind the Devils? Then the trade was pointless. I'd rather take my chances on what we got than on some old goat.
He doesn't want to finish 4th in the conference.

The Devils are having their own troubles, this is time to lock the division up. Broduer is prone to going on long stretches of being unbeatable. Stevens is also out. If Primeau comes back and they still play like they did against SJ and TB then I'd be all for a trade.

If Laich-2nd is all it'd take to get a Ron Francis then do it.

-from Spectors
"Yesterday (2/17) on Comcast Sportsnet in Philadelphia they had Keith Jones and Al Morganti on their Spotlight show. One of the topics they discussed was the fact that Paul Holmgren was scouting the Carolina Hurricanes over the past week. Al wondered why, and Keith replied that he felt they may be looking at either bringing back Rod BrindAmour or possibly trying to get Ron Francis. Keith feels it wouldn't take alot to get Ron, and the Hurricanes may be willing to let him go so he has one final chance to win a Stanley Cup, with the possible lock out next season. Keith said he doesn't think it would take as much it did to get Adam Oates. He went on to explain how Ron could be a first or second line center and bring much to the locker room."

Last edited by blah: 02-19-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old
02-19-2004, 06:50 AM
anonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I don't see a young Yzerman, Fedorov, Sakic, or Broduer in the Flyers system.

The Avs were built on the Lindros and Roy trades. The Devils built their team on a system and a goalie. The Wings built around Yzerman and Fedorov, they did make some great picks, but they also added a lot of big name FAs.

Those teams were built on drafts from as long ago as 1984. I really don't want to wait 10-15 years for them to draft high enough to get a player of that calibur and develop said player.

If Laich-2nd is all it'd take to get a Ron Francis then do it.
Line 1) Exactly. The development of a player depends on that players ceiling of talent. You can teach anyone anything, how good they become at it depends on intangibles that cannot be taught. You can't take a Somik and develop him into a Gretzky.

Line 2) Having piss-poor seasons and gaining high picks because of it also helped. I'd hate to see this board if this team sucked.

line 3) Me neither.

line 4) The Bondra trade set some prices, NOT the tired Oates deal argument. There are good players on bad teams, and I'd bet they can be had for cheap with all the uncertainty of lockouts and salary structures.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I agree with Blah on this; If Primeau comes back and they still stink, then I'd consider making a trade. But I don't want to give up on a prospect before he comes back (unless he is out for several weeks).

About giving up all prospects to win a Cup now, if you could guarantee that we'd win the Cup after doing that, I'd go along with you. But my fear is that we give up all our prospects trying to win now and still lose to the Devils. Then we have nothing to show for it now or in the future.

I guess its a gamble either way. Trade now for possible Cup, or develop prospects for a possible Cup. (How's that for stating the obvious). I just choose the latter. Its a difference of philosophy. I continue to agree with the Philosophy of developing players and making a few trades here and there. I don't like the notion of trying to trade every year to create a Cup team. It just never seems to work (except for possibly the 1994 Rangers).

Closed Thread