HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Hollweg to Leafs for 5th rounder

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2008, 08:44 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
People are right, the trading of Holly means little..But, gotta say, except for Voros who is just as dirty, they hav nobody (Sjostrom, Riismiller,Orr) that hits..Butthat isn't Renney's style anyway..

Still, that's not the problem, the problem is the abysmaal shpe of the top two lines if bot hDrury and DUbi are centers...We have basically nothing...Anytime people are mentioning the invisible man Prucha as a 2nd liner, you know you are in trouble..
Which is why both Drury and Dubinsky should be in the top six, with Drury moving to LW. You'd have three 25-goal scorers, and you'd have your six best offensive players in the top six. the hole on this team is 3rd line center, which is why, I think we are more likely to see the Rangers bring in a 3rd line center, (which Fristche, from all reports, is not), if they believe AA is not ready. As for Prucha, until he becomes anything more than a easy open ice target for the highlight reels, given his $1.6 million cap hit, I'm betting he's the next to go.

Old
07-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Wow, great trade. I'd have been happy with the last round, so getting a mid-round pick is excellent. You can definitely pull a high-risk, high-return player with first line potential in the 5th round. The player would likely be small and have defense problems at draft time, but some of those become Marc Savard and Luc Robitaille.

Old
07-14-2008, 08:50 PM
dank

Quote:
Hollweg helped usher in the Ranger re-commitment to effort with Ortmeyer and his first few years of hitting were a joy to watch..And despite his at times assinine decision making when he lost his mind, he always gave 110% and was a total team player..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
JO41 has been on a "trade Betts" kick for a while now. He seems to think Rissmiller is the replacement for Betts, even though Betts is an important PKer, and superb in his 4th line center role.
both agreed with..

Old
07-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
if its 09'., thats an excellent move. very very deep draft!
Very deep means there will be solid players in the second round whereas a weak draft has only 10-15 good players.

When people talk about it being a deep draft, they don't mean that it will somehow effect the 5th round.

Old
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Dude...

Prucha = Dormant Offense
I'm not going to disagree.

However, i believe he needs to do a couple of things in order to get to a level he is capable of.

1-Gain a little weight, strength, muscle.

Even an extra 10 pounds would help, and put him at about 185. If he could gain 15 pounds before the start of the season he would be around 190 and that would be fantastic for him, and could really improve his game.

2-Keep his head up with the puck.

I think a reason he is such a target is because at times he gets caught with his head down.

Old
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
This was a move that had to be made, but man, without the likes of Strudwick and Hollweg, the locker room will be quite boring this season

Old
07-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
so far Sather's Off-Season trades

Slats 2. Others 0

for all the haters out there.
Very true. I'd love this offseason if we still had Avery and no Riss. Why exactly do we need Riss?!

Old
07-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromAnisimov2Zherdev View Post
That's why you have to spread out the talent off of the first line.. put Nazzy on the second line and put Dawes on the first.
At this point in his career, Naslund is a 2nd liner...IMO, Dawes incomplete game makes him a 3rd liner and trade chip...Not enough good stuff to spread...

Old
07-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
This was a move that had to be made, but man, without the likes of Strudwick and Hollweg, the locker room will be quite boring this season
True indeed, but the team is changing.....Made this point elsewhere, but HOLLWEG was the longest tenured Ranger organizational player as of this morning..He served a good purpose for awhile but it was time to go....Betts is next longest..and then Prucha (not for long IMO) and Roszival,,

Old
07-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
The draft only goes to the 7th now.
Any reason why they keep cutting it? They cut it almost half, 5 rounds, since the mid90s.

We got Kim Johnsson with the last pick of the 12th round. Luc Robitaille was a 9th round pick.

No reason to have only 7 rounds.

Old
07-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
if hollweg can fetch a 5th betts should fetch a 3rd at least and prucha a 2ed
It doesn't work like that. But if we can get a 2 and a 3 for Prucha and Betts, I'd be all over it.

Old
07-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
1) He's a marked man BECAUSE he was responsible for dirty hits.

2) He's being replaced by Voros, a player who's also physical, but scored more goals last year, than Hollweg did in his career.
Voros is just as dirty as Hollweg...Doesn't hit as hard...is a few years older..let's not exaggerate his offense...The Rangers 4th line was used p[urely as a defensive line and time waster by Renney....Hey, look how many goals the great and talented SJostrom scored...

Old
07-14-2008, 09:08 PM
nickrOck

is this a step towards clearing out space to resign shanny.? or is this a move to open the door for a youngster.? either way i don't mind it..

Old
07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
McDonagh27

Quote:
At this point in his career, Naslund is a 2nd liner...IMO, Dawes incomplete game makes him a 3rd liner and trade chip...Not enough good stuff to spread...
Fair point. However, having kids ride shotgun with established players like Gomez, Zherdev, Naslund and Drury, certainly won't hurt their progress. Like Avery proved last year, you don't have to be extremely talented, if you play with players who can set you up your gonna amass points. IMO, Dawes can be that type of player, and so can Pruchs.

Old
07-14-2008, 09:16 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
best move of the offseason

subtracting Hollweg > addition of Zherdev

Old
07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
best move of the offseason

subtracting Hollweg > addition of Zherdev
which is about equal and opposite of subtracting Jagr and Adding the enigmatic and lacadaisacal Zherdev as your #1 RW

Old
07-14-2008, 09:25 PM
MasonRanger

Send a message via AIM to MasonRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Orr and Voros pretty much
They aren't necessarily big guys, but Dubinsky and Callahan hit people. So will Staal, Girardi, and Mara.

And Prucha tries. He can't really do it, but he tries. lol

Old
07-14-2008, 09:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
So did Jagr's 25 goals make him a 2nd liner too? If so, then the Rangers got two years younger, and between $2-3 million less of a cap hit.

Agreed about Dawes though...I think all three of him, Callahan and Prucha are trade chips.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I liked Hollweg. Along with Avery he was the only other Ranger who brought the fight to the other team. The guy played a defensively responsible game as well. I understand the need to make this trade though. It was just a matter of time until he was traded or waived once we added Voros. I think we got a pretty good return for him. Toronto should have just waited and they probably could have claimed him on waivers.

Favorite Hollweg moment: After Kovalev elbowed him in the face. The camera shows Hollweg on the bench and he had blood coming out of his mouth and this psychotic look on his face. He was foaming at the mouth. I remember thinking to myself "uh oh, ryan looks like he is about to do something crazy". Next shift, he did something crazy.
I'd love to see him put Kovalev through the boards next year in Toronto.

Kovalev is probably on my top 5 all time most disliked players.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:08 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Toronto should have just waited and they probably could have claimed him on waivers.

Well with the state of things in Toronto, they were clearly desperate to get at Hollweg, they just couldn't wait for the guy!

RANGERS =
Old
07-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

What is with this "now we don't have anyone who hits" thought?

Dubi was second on the team last year with 218, Girardi came in 3rd, then Hollweg. Callahan had the 6th highest total, despite only playing 52 games. Both Voros and Rismiller had an above average amount of hits. Then there are players who could possibly play that kind of role, like a Byers. Not to mention there is really zero correlation between hits and any type of team success.

Also whoever made that ridiculous "Look how many goals Sjostrom scored," I don't even know what to say. He played 18 regular season games with the Rangers and scored one less goal then Hollweg had over his previous 148 games.

Good riddance.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
So did Jagr's 25 goals make him a 2nd liner too? If so, then the Rangers got two years younger, and between $2-3 million less of a cap hit.

Agreed about Dawes though...I think all three of him, Callahan and Prucha are trade chips.
Nope, and neither di the three guys and entire defenses draped all over him every shift make him a 2nd liner...Naslund is much more comparable to a reliant Shanny then a controlling Jagr....But, yo got me on the cap number..But I guess that was used on the bruising Redden!

At least we agree on something..

Old
07-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Also whoever made that ridiculous "Look how many goals Sjostrom scored," I don't even know what to say. He played 18 regular season games with the Rangers and scored one less goal then Hollweg had over his previous 148 games.

Good riddance.
His, ahem, scorong is not being compared to Hollweg...But the great SJostrom is thought of as a possible 2nd or 3rd liner around here despite the fact that he can't score for ***** either here or on Phoenix where he was on like a 25 game goaless streak..4th line/Balck Ace who doesn't thit...

Old
07-14-2008, 10:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Nope, and neither di the three guys and entire defenses draped all over him every shift make him a 2nd liner...Naslund is much more comparable to a reliant Shanny then a controlling Jagr....But, yo got me on the cap number..But I guess that was used on the bruising Redden!

At least we agree on something..
I'd rather have Redden and Staal on the top pairing, with Rozsival NOT getting top pairing minutes, than have a defense that has Tyutin still on it...not to mention getting Zherdev and Fritsche and cap space for Tyutin and a bag of pucks.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
cmb572

. i still cant believe hes gone....anyway from what ive read the majority of leaf posters think this is a good pickup which im sad to say is really not true. i mean i love players that hustle but aside from that there is absolutely not one good thing about him. he hurts ya more then he helps. sadly i like toronto(as a second type team to cheer on) as my brother-in-law was a die hard fan and made me watch games when the rangers werent playing. so yea sorry guys but i dunno *** leafs gm (fletcher right>?) was thinking...but i am so happy hes gone...as we obv has so many other guys in the wolfpack that can/shouldve taken his place

Closed Thread