HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Would Voracek's talent be wasted on a third line?

Old
07-15-2008, 12:53 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Can't wait to see all of Jake's beautiful passes to Chimera hit the glass after Chimmer makes a terrible shot.
. You must believe...

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Handyy

I think it all depends on how the coaching staff wants 3rd line to play. If you dump 'n' chase game after game, how exactly he would be developing his skills in NHL? But if you give him freedom to do things his way, I think playing in the 3rd line doesn't do any harm.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 07:06 AM
forktie

Chimera-Malhotra-Fritsche always had such good chemistry together...

am I crazy to think that a Chimera-Malhotra-Voracek line wouldn't even be better?
All the stuff I read about Voracek is that he doesn't miss the net. Wouldn't this line benefit from a guy like that?

I don't know either, I'm just throwing it out there.

Peace, dudes.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 07:16 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

My only hope is that Chimmer scoops up those beautiful

outlet feeds he is going to get charges right up to the left dot.. and turns and feeds a cross ice pass to Jake... that is one solution to not being able to finish assists are points too, and sometimes are more gratifying.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJarod View Post
Discuss.

I think it would be. I'd like to see him on the top 6 if he proves he can do it.
3rd line + 2nd PP unit = 15 minutes a night, perfect for Jakub imo.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

something to consider

Jake is a top line talent, but that doesn't mean out the shoot. This is the NHL, the competition is obviously much higher. Although he is on a "3rd line" it's an NHL 3rd line, and whoever he skates with will have more skill than anyone he skated with in Juniors.

Jake will probably be the most skilled player on a 3rd line (and who knows how long they'll be able to keep him out of the top 6) but that's OK. Here's to hoping Jake's creativity is stifled to the point where he is forced to move up a line to increase production

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by forktie View Post
am I crazy to think that a Chimera-Malhotra-Voracek line wouldn't even be better?
Chimera-Peca-Voracek (which it is much more likely to be) would be even better.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:38 AM
EDM

Torres is not ready for a good year. He had setbacks with his knee rehab. While he may be on the second line to start, I can see his minutes being reduced as he battles with a swollen knee from game to game.
By the 09 season he will be fine. But he will have knee difficulties this year and it will limit his productivity.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:45 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Torres is not ready for a good year. He had setbacks with his knee rehab. While he may be on the second line to start, I can see his minutes being reduced as he battles with a swollen knee from game to game.
By the 09 season he will be fine. But he will have knee difficulties this year and it will limit his productivity.
Are there links to articles to read about these setbacks? I'm curious.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Friday on the radio Hitchcock was asked by Spielman about that knee and he emphatically answered that "the knee will be fine". The only reference to a set back I'm aware of was when Torres said he was too eager to get back on the ice in June and the doctors told him to back off a little.

Its an ACL, the most routine sports surgery performed, and he is 26. I don't think the knee is going to be a big issue. His conditioning however may suffer because of the rehab, though he did say he's on the bike every day.

Old
07-15-2008, 10:56 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Speaking of Torres and his knee...

Quote:
The knee is definitely where I want it to be right now," Torres said. "It's going to take some time, but we've got time. I'm looking forward to training camp (in September), and I should be ready to go.
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live...E.html?sid=101

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
EDM

There was any earlier interview with him (no I can't find it at this time) where he said his went too hard too quickly on his rehab and it had caused his doctors to tell him to stop all rehab until the swelling in his knee was under control. Sorry, but I just don't buy that anyone comes back that quickly from knee surgery and is effective. They can play, true, but they are not able to go full speed all the time as is necessary. Of course, coaches and trainers never say there is a problem since that is an invitation to opponents to test the guy's knee, but the recovery time (including the mental aspect of not doubting whether the knee will hold when you make a sharp cut) takes a year. I have no problem with Torres and I think he will be 100% in 09. But there will be less than optimal performance in 08.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Torres-Peca-Voracek would be a great 3rd line. Torres and Peca played very well together in Edmonton, and playing with two very good even strength players like them is exactly the type of environment you want your young players in when learning the NHL game.

That's assuming you have enough depth ahead of them to make that your 3rd line. Nash and Huselius can definately handle the 1/2 LW positions, and Modin has the top line RW spot covered, but who do you have at center to handle the top 2 center spots better than Peca? Would it be Umberger and Brassard, or am I missing someone?

07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Would it be Umberger and Brassard, or am I missing someone?
That pretty much sums up the theme of the discussion on our board this offseason.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Would it be Umberger and Brassard, or am I missing someone?
The person you're missing is Antoine Vermette.

And now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
That pretty much sums up the theme of the discussion on our board this offseason.

Old
07-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Torres-Peca-Voracek would be a great 3rd line. Torres and Peca played very well together in Edmonton, and playing with two very good even strength players like them is exactly the type of environment you want your young players in when learning the NHL game.

That's assuming you have enough depth ahead of them to make that your 3rd line. Nash and Huselius can definately handle the 1/2 LW positions, and Modin has the top line RW spot covered, but who do you have at center to handle the top 2 center spots better than Peca? Would it be Umberger and Brassard, or am I missing someone?
The person you're missing is Chimera, ON THE SECOND LINE!!

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 12:23 PM
EDM

Unfortunately Biscuit, you may be right. I really, really want to know where Chimera got those compromising photos of HCH.

Old
07-15-2008, 12:39 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
The person you're missing is Chimera, ON THE SECOND LINE!!
Quote:
Unfortunately Biscuit, you may be right. I really, really want to know where Chimera got those compromising photos of HCH.
Based on what? Everything out of the CBJ to this point is that Chimmera will start on the third line with Peca and, at least at first, Voracek. Everything seems to be set that Nash, Umberger, and Hucelius will start out together on the top line and that Modin, Brassard, and Torres will be put together on the second. What are you seeing that indicates Chimmer will be on the second? Of course things can change, depending on what happens in camp; but, other than EDM's normal pessimism, what makes you think Chimmer will play in the top six?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Nordique

Quote:
We'll see how Torres looks come camp and preseason...in regard to Chimera on the second line.

Old
07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
jackets63

Quote:
Originally Posted by forktie View Post
Chimera-Malhotra-Fritsche always had such good chemistry together...

All the stuff I read about Voracek is that he doesn't miss the net. Wouldn't this line benefit from a guy like that?

I don't know either, I'm just throwing it out there.

Peace, dudes.
That line was solid, if unspectacular, due to its combination of speed and physical play. Voracek is going to bring many things at much higher levels than Fritche but I dont see physical play being one of them.

Now this line can be really good because they still have speed. Maybe his playmaking will be so good that even Chimmera can finish playing with him. But seriously, if Chimmer can start to bury more of the many, many chances he creates, we could have a 3rd scoring line that can put pucks in the net.

Also, someone is going to have to move up occasionally when Torres is serving his fighting majors. That could be another good way to ease him in.

jackets63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
FlaggerX

That's where I think he should start. He won't get overwhelmed with minutes and responsibility. Both Peca and Chimmer are good defenders, and from what I've heard Voracek could race Chimmer straight up. Besides it would be good for him to focus on defense for a time, because he'll have to play good D if he wants to move up for Hitch.

That said, I think he'll still get points. Chimmer might not have a dead-eye aim, but he does get one in now and then. Peca isn't bad either around the net. I think double figures in goals are possible for all three next season, and that would be a pretty nice third line. And if he shoves his way up higher, well great.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 08:32 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Not as bad as it would be wasted in Juniors.
Good point. Didn't help Brule. And in THEORY Hitch's 'system' is supposed to roll four lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJarod View Post
I was reading the dispatch and they were saying Voracek could end up in a line of

Chimera-Peca-Voracek

I wouldn't really like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I dunno if that's such a bad thing. Voracek could benefit from being centered by Peca. As a line, you have some interesting variety there.

Chimera: forechecker and garbage goal getter.
Peca: veteran playmaker
Voracek: scorer

I'm with you on this Lee. And this could be Chim's breakout year (since it didn't happen last year).

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Pluckfur

God, I hope so. If Jake's talent isn't wasted on the 3rd ... HELLO TAVARES.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
God, I hope so. If Jake's talent isn't wasted on the 3rd ... HELLO TAVARES.
too many other teams that are worse than us...

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Imjustabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
too many other teams that are worse than us...
All it takes is four; the Jackets will have a shot (albeit a small one) if they finish fifth-worst (God forbid).

Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote