HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

We need a real goalie

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2004, 09:59 PM
  #1
nikefella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
We need a real goalie

We all know that Sather is the underlying reason that the rangers are an embarrasment but the goalies aren't helping. 1) Dunham is the laziest goalie i have ever seen in net, it takes him a good 30 seconds to get back into position after he blocks the first shot, not to mention his slow catching glove. 2) Markenen or however you spell his name is too inconsisten to be counted on, yeah its great that he has had a pair of shutouts this year but he has also sucked it up big time. 3) Labarbera is an awesome goalie... in the ahl, he hasnt proven that he can come close to being a competitor in the nhl. 4) when does Dan Blackburn return????

nikefella is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 11:02 PM
  #2
shmekel
Registered User
 
shmekel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Section 402
Country: United States
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Goaltending is the least of our problems. We need defense, first and foremost.

shmekel is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 11:07 PM
  #3
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,510
vCash: 500
Right now, goaltending is the least of our problems. That position can get sorted out over the summer.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 01:26 AM
  #4
Smash255
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Massapequa
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Goaltending is a weakness on the Rangers, but a bigger & more glaring weakness is the position that plays in front of the goaltender. The same problem they had when Richter was still with the team. The defense is absolute crap.

Smash255 is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 02:21 AM
  #5
Robertsson 4-ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Wexio
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Report from Sweden:
Last night Henrik Lundqvist made a shootout stopping 40 shots against Leksand.

Stats this season
Henrik Lundqvist Frölunda Games:45, GAA: 2.16, %: .928

He will also have a great opportunity to be with the swedish national team in the world champs, and will probably sign with NYR for the next season.

Robertsson 4-ever is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 03:26 AM
  #6
JCProdigy
Registered User
 
JCProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: I want what I want
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
Report from Sweden:
Last night Henrik Lundqvist made a shootout stopping 40 shots against Leksand.

Stats this season
Henrik Lundqvist Frölunda Games:45, GAA: 2.16, %: .928

He will also have a great opportunity to be with the swedish national team in the world champs, and will probably sign with NYR for the next season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/goalie.php

Gives the up to date stats for the goalies in the SEL. Notice Lundqvist is in third for GAA but has the best save percentage in the league. Good stuff.

JCProdigy is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 06:36 AM
  #7
allrevvedup25
Registered User
 
allrevvedup25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Come off it everybody. Its not that we have horrible defense, its the system that they play in that makes them that bad!! You can't tell me that a team like Toronto has better defense than the Rangers. Look at the big difference when Belfour is in nets compared to Kidd. Belfour makes the saves and Kidd doesn't. If we get a goalie that we can rely on to make the routine saves and come up with the big save when needed, you will see the defense play better!! In Toronto, everyone backchecks to help out as well, that doesn't happen all the time here with the Rangers. I know our defense is bad but our goaltending is atrocious to say the least.

allrevvedup25 is offline  
Old
02-18-2004, 04:33 PM
  #8
nikefella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
at least someone recognizes our goalie crisis

nikefella is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:55 AM
  #9
allrevvedup25
Registered User
 
allrevvedup25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikefella
at least someone recognizes our goalie crisis
Well, I think others realize it as well but in the back of their minds they remember what Dunham did last year when he came here. He played great last year but after watching him this year, alot of his games he was lucky!!!! and now his luck has run out!!!

Another example of a team that has goaltending is Florida, you take Luongo out of the equation an they are fighting for last place with Pittsburgh. If you put Luongo on the Rangers and we would be in a playoff position!!!!

allrevvedup25 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 07:37 AM
  #10
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,360
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikefella
at least someone recognizes our goalie crisis

The Rangers certainly have question marks in net but unlike a lot of other areas there are possible solutions within the organization (Blackburn, Lundqvist maybe even Labarbera). That alone makes the goaltending situation not a top priority to address right. Making a change in net will not do anything to change the fate of this season and it can be better addressed in the off season. The Rangers are more than a season away from contending so why break the bank and trade (or somehow acquire) a top goalie.

IMO what should be top priority at this time is adding to the depth of young forwards and defensemen.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 07:40 AM
  #11
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,360
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup25
Well, I think others realize it as well but in the back of their minds they remember what Dunham did last year when he came here. He played great last year but after watching him this year, alot of his games he was lucky!!!! and now his luck has run out!!!

Another example of a team that has goaltending is Florida, you take Luongo out of the equation an they are fighting for last place with Pittsburgh. If you put Luongo on the Rangers and we would be in a playoff position!!!!
Not defending Dunham but he has also been quite unlucky at times.

To your point about Luongo, sure he would have the Rangers closer to a playoff spot then they currently are. However, there is no Luongo available to acquire. The names that have been mentioned are no clear upgrade over Dunham so I would not use what few trading chips the Rangers have on a goalie (especially when there is Blackburn and Lundqvist)

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 07:53 AM
  #12
RANGERDIEHARD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
http://www.eliteprospects.com/goalie.php

Gives the up to date stats for the goalies in the SEL. Notice Lundqvist is in third for GAA but has the best save percentage in the league. Good stuff.
Go Henrik! Also he is one of the youngest goalies in that league. The other top end golies in the SEL are older than him.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 12:16 PM
  #13
allrevvedup25
Registered User
 
allrevvedup25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Not defending Dunham but he has also been quite unlucky at times.

To your point about Luongo, sure he would have the Rangers closer to a playoff spot then they currently are. However, there is no Luongo available to acquire. The names that have been mentioned are no clear upgrade over Dunham so I would not use what few trading chips the Rangers have on a goalie (especially when there is Blackburn and Lundqvist)
I agree with you SBOB, I was just stating an example of what a goaltender can do!!

allrevvedup25 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 12:54 PM
  #14
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,486
vCash: 500
Singin'...

Luongo 'may have' made the Rangers closer. I'm somewhat convinced that the Rangers, with Luongo provided he does better than Dunham, would find ways not to score again, which happened in January, and still lose games. The Rangers scored one goals six times in January, and zero goals once. In their other losses they scored two goals four times and four goals once. I don't know if the best goalie in the world gets the Rangers more than four more points in January, arguably when the Rangers 'lost it'.

Fletch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.