HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Rumors and Discussion Part 7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
  #301
Habsaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
There you go, we have our own insider.

All hail Habsaholic.

Wooo..... I am NOT a head coach!!!!! Never said that.....EVER

Habsaholic is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 11:28 AM
  #302
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaholic View Post
Wooo..... I am NOT a head coach!!!!! Never said that.....EVER
No, but you talk to one... that makes you an insider.

Of course none of this is proven; just like HFF's posts.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 11:29 AM
  #303
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
On the opposite, I find it quite odd how the Montreal media (RDS and others) have been really low key on this Sundin thing. They've been low key on Tanguay, low key on Sundin. Weird.

But draft some americans......oh, oh, oh!
Thats because the Mtl Media have absolutely no important sources.

I mean, RDS already quoted Eklund if I remember correctly..thats just embarrassing

Kriss E is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 11:33 AM
  #304
marc1337
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaholic View Post
Wooo..... I am NOT a head coach!!!!! Never said that.....EVER
I thought that Sundin already said that he wont be going west because of the traveling...

marc1337 is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 11:34 AM
  #305
Habsaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
No, but you talk to one... that makes you an insider.

Of course none of this is proven; just like HFF's posts.
I wouldnt say I am an insider, I play golf in the same league he talks hockey like anyone would says who he thinks is tough who is weak, speculates on trade rumors, stuff he hears inside and on internet dirtsheets, Everyone knows Sundin is a big topic in the NHL while he has no inside source, it is his opinion that Sundin wont go to Vancouver, and he thinks there are other teams involved. Does he know this for sure? I dont think so, I think he is just keeping pace with the guys talking hockey. He has been in hockey for a long time, I dont know how well he knows Sundin or if at all. I am sure he dealt with him here and there. Id rather call it an eduacated opinion than any inside source. He is an inside source for his team but he doesnt say much about his team thats not already in the news.

Habsaholic is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 11:50 AM
  #306
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaholic View Post
I wouldnt say I am an insider, I play golf in the same league he talks hockey like anyone would says who he thinks is tough who is weak, speculates on trade rumors, stuff he hears inside and on internet dirtsheets, Everyone knows Sundin is a big topic in the NHL while he has no inside source, it is his opinion that Sundin wont go to Vancouver, and he thinks there are other teams involved. Does he know this for sure? I dont think so, I think he is just keeping pace with the guys talking hockey. He has been in hockey for a long time, I dont know how well he knows Sundin or if at all. I am sure he dealt with him here and there. Id rather call it an eduacated opinion than any inside source. He is an inside source for his team but he doesnt say much about his team thats not already in the news.
Gee, now you're sounding like HFF :p

AH is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 11:50 AM
  #307
Delat
Registered User
 
Delat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,214
vCash: 500
This is getting so complicated! I wish MolsonMan was still there...

Delat is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 11:51 AM
  #308
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1337 View Post
I thought that Sundin already said that he wont be going west because of the traveling...
That was before the Canucks acquired Wellwood though

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 03:00 PM
  #309
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
That was before the Canucks acquired Wellwood though
You mean Demitra and Bernier

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 03:11 PM
  #310
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You mean Demitra and Bernier
Pavol "Pavol" Demitra and Steve "The Body" Bernier.

waffledave is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 03:15 PM
  #311
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Pavol "Pavol" Demitra and Steve "The Body" Bernier.
Now that,s what i call 'incentives'....

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 04:30 PM
  #312
The NHL Rant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
you have to go back to the messier era for the last time the canucks were getting 12000 people for certain games. The key is not to not go on any prolonged streaks of missing the playoffs, and the attendance will be fine in vancouver. That's the history.

Back to sundin, lets not kid ourselves, the biggest sell that vancouver has over any other club is the 10 million bucks per year. I dont buy the olympic sell at all. No team is going to dare match 10 mil per for a guy like sundin, I guarantee it. However, The questions with sundin are not any different than 2 weeks ago.

Is he simply looking to go to the highest bidder? (Good news for Vancouver)

or

Is he more interested in a lesser but still decent salary in exchange to play for a stronger squad? (Bad News for Vancouver)

or

Is he sour about the way the leafs handled him and in exchange, lost his will to play in the nhl for good?

or

Is he not able to make up his mind because the leafs are where his heart is, no matter how much they messed around with him, meaning he will only come back with TO?

or

Is he waiting for other offers because montreal and vancouver dont interest him as primary locations.

I'm tired of the premature and false info. I'll just let the chips fall wherever they may, and whenever that will be. There are too many scenarios in play here to do otherwise. There's really no grounds for canuck fans to be more confident than habs fans or vice versa on having the inside track on mats.
Yes, the Messier era certainly showed a lack of enthusiasm for the team. However, I believe that to be a combination of poor play/high expectations (also a factor last year) and the fact that most fans were extremely angry with the management for trading away Linden and generally mismanaging the team into the ground. I don't believe that it simply had to do with missing the playoffs a few times, although that's certainly a factor. The poster I was replying to was suggesting that all Vancouver needed to do was go downhill for the stadium to dwindle to 10,000 for "any" game. That statement is incorrect, as demonstrated last season when the Canucks went downhill.

I'd play in any city for $20 million dollars for two years, regardless of the beauty or ugliness of that city. So, I'm not kidding myself - the $10 million per season is the biggest sell. But we would also be kidding ourselves to believe that Sundin has not considered the city itself, and is factoring that into his decision. Vancouver is beautiful, and, as an added bonus, is hosting the Olympics. I can't speak for Sundin, but if I were planning to play for my country, the fact that the venue would be where I already live and play would tweak my interest. I certainly do not believe that it's THE selling point that pushes him over the edge, I simply think it naive to believe that he wouldn't even factor that into his overall appraisal of the Vancouver offer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that you intended your list of what Sundin might be thinking to demonstrate the numerous factors that are or may be influencing Sundin's decision, not necessarily as a few possibilities that Sundin is considering independent of one another. I get your point, that there's no real basis for believing one team has an advantage over another, but that wasn't what I was intending to convey in my first post in any case. While you can't say "Vancouver has a better chance than Montreal" one can say that certain conditions and developments may increase the chance of one city, independent of the others. The signing of Demitra, for example, is one of those developments. This isn't to say that this means Vancouver has a better chance than (name city), but simply that it has a better chance.

I disagree that the second item on your list would be bad news for Vancouver. With Vancouver, he'd be getting the highest pay, and would be playing for a stronger squad. People are heavily underestimating Vancouver with Sundin. With a forward corps featuring Sundin, Sedin, Sedin, Bernier, Demitra, and defensive corps featuring Mitchell, Edler, Bieksa, Ohlund, Salo, and Luongo - Vancouver is a playoff team, most likely a division winner. Cup? No, that's probably Detroit. I don't mind being the fan of an underestimated team, in fact, I love it, but it tends to create numerous points of contention on boards like these.

The intent of my post wasn't to argue that Vancouver has a better chance than Montreal. It was, firstly, to rebut an ignorant post and, secondly, to stress that my confidence in Vancouver signing Sundin has been going up lately.

The NHL Rant is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 06:12 PM
  #313
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,058
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by The NHL Rant View Post
Yes, the Messier era certainly showed a lack of enthusiasm for the team. However, I believe that to be a combination of poor play/high expectations (also a factor last year) and the fact that most fans were extremely angry with the management for trading away Linden and generally mismanaging the team into the ground. I don't believe that it simply had to do with missing the playoffs a few times, although that's certainly a factor. The poster I was replying to was suggesting that all Vancouver needed to do was go downhill for the stadium to dwindle to 10,000 for "any" game. That statement is incorrect, as demonstrated last season when the Canucks went downhill.

I'd play in any city for $20 million dollars for two years, regardless of the beauty or ugliness of that city. So, I'm not kidding myself - the $10 million per season is the biggest sell. But we would also be kidding ourselves to believe that Sundin has not considered the city itself, and is factoring that into his decision. Vancouver is beautiful, and, as an added bonus, is hosting the Olympics. I can't speak for Sundin, but if I were planning to play for my country, the fact that the venue would be where I already live and play would tweak my interest. I certainly do not believe that it's THE selling point that pushes him over the edge, I simply think it naive to believe that he wouldn't even factor that into his overall appraisal of the Vancouver offer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that you intended your list of what Sundin might be thinking to demonstrate the numerous factors that are or may be influencing Sundin's decision, not necessarily as a few possibilities that Sundin is considering independent of one another. I get your point, that there's no real basis for believing one team has an advantage over another, but that wasn't what I was intending to convey in my first post in any case. While you can't say "Vancouver has a better chance than Montreal" one can say that certain conditions and developments may increase the chance of one city, independent of the others. The signing of Demitra, for example, is one of those developments. This isn't to say that this means Vancouver has a better chance than (name city), but simply that it has a better chance.

I disagree that the second item on your list would be bad news for Vancouver. With Vancouver, he'd be getting the highest pay, and would be playing for a stronger squad. People are heavily underestimating Vancouver with Sundin. With a forward corps featuring Sundin, Sedin, Sedin, Bernier, Demitra, and defensive corps featuring Mitchell, Edler, Bieksa, Ohlund, Salo, and Luongo - Vancouver is a playoff team, most likely a division winner. Cup? No, that's probably Detroit. I don't mind being the fan of an underestimated team, in fact, I love it, but it tends to create numerous points of contention on boards like these.

The intent of my post wasn't to argue that Vancouver has a better chance than Montreal. It was, firstly, to rebut an ignorant post and, secondly, to stress that my confidence in Vancouver signing Sundin has been going up lately.
The thing is Sundin on Vancouver will be the go-to guy. He doesn't have to be that in Montreal. There's too many threats for Sundin to be singled out every single shift, every single time by the big hitters and the big checkers of the other team. He's gonna be complimenting a center depth with Plekanec, Koivu and Chipchura. Among that he's got elite wingers like Tanguay, Kovalev and budding stars like the Kostitsyns and Latendresse. With Higgins a consistent scoring threat and defensive presence. That's a lot more talent up front than the Canucks have, it's not arguable. The fact he won't be one of the few focal points of the offence should be a big selling point where he's older and his body can't take the same punishment.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 06:21 PM
  #314
habs86
Registered User
 
habs86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prince Albert, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 524
vCash: 813
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
i so wish all this would come to a head and sundin would either say YES or NO already. i am thinking i am not the only one here who is getting tired of this.

i would love to see matts with our boyz, but if he is not intelligant enough to know he has a better chance of winning with us tham with the canuks, he is daff.

habs86 is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 06:25 PM
  #315
LesCanadiens
Registered User
 
LesCanadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Okanagan Baby!
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The NHL Rant View Post
Yes, the Messier era certainly showed a lack of enthusiasm for the team. However, I believe that to be a combination of poor play/high expectations (also a factor last year) and the fact that most fans were extremely angry with the management for trading away Linden and generally mismanaging the team into the ground. I don't believe that it simply had to do with missing the playoffs a few times, although that's certainly a factor. The poster I was replying to was suggesting that all Vancouver needed to do was go downhill for the stadium to dwindle to 10,000 for "any" game. That statement is incorrect, as demonstrated last season when the Canucks went downhill.

I'd play in any city for $20 million dollars for two years, regardless of the beauty or ugliness of that city. So, I'm not kidding myself - the $10 million per season is the biggest sell. But we would also be kidding ourselves to believe that Sundin has not considered the city itself, and is factoring that into his decision. Vancouver is beautiful, and, as an added bonus, is hosting the Olympics. I can't speak for Sundin, but if I were planning to play for my country, the fact that the venue would be where I already live and play would tweak my interest. I certainly do not believe that it's THE selling point that pushes him over the edge, I simply think it naive to believe that he wouldn't even factor that into his overall appraisal of the Vancouver offer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that you intended your list of what Sundin might be thinking to demonstrate the numerous factors that are or may be influencing Sundin's decision, not necessarily as a few possibilities that Sundin is considering independent of one another. I get your point, that there's no real basis for believing one team has an advantage over another, but that wasn't what I was intending to convey in my first post in any case. While you can't say "Vancouver has a better chance than Montreal" one can say that certain conditions and developments may increase the chance of one city, independent of the others. The signing of Demitra, for example, is one of those developments. This isn't to say that this means Vancouver has a better chance than (name city), but simply that it has a better chance.

I disagree that the second item on your list would be bad news for Vancouver. With Vancouver, he'd be getting the highest pay, and would be playing for a stronger squad. People are heavily underestimating Vancouver with Sundin. With a forward corps featuring Sundin, Sedin, Sedin, Bernier, Demitra, and defensive corps featuring Mitchell, Edler, Bieksa, Ohlund, Salo, and Luongo - Vancouver is a playoff team, most likely a division winner. Cup? No, that's probably Detroit. I don't mind being the fan of an underestimated team, in fact, I love it, but it tends to create numerous points of contention on boards like these.

The intent of my post wasn't to argue that Vancouver has a better chance than Montreal. It was, firstly, to rebut an ignorant post and, secondly, to stress that my confidence in Vancouver signing Sundin has been going up lately.

All this blah, blah, blah and the statement I bolded completely obliterates any shred of credibility this post has.

What? You think an injury-prone Demitra and a bum like Bernier are going to magically change your top-6?

Bernier is closer to Jean-Marc Lanthier than Bure.

LesCanadiens is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 06:41 PM
  #316
24morecupsthanyou*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
If Sundin wants to play for a bottom feeding trash team, he'll stick around in Toronto...why go through the effort of moving to Vancouver and face the same adversity?

24morecupsthanyou* is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 06:45 PM
  #317
One Trick Pony
Registered User
 
One Trick Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,649
vCash: 500
Sundin will be a hab by part 12.

One Trick Pony is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 06:46 PM
  #318
CareyPrice x 31
Registered User
 
CareyPrice x 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,876
vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs86 View Post
i so wish all this would come to a head and sundin would either say YES or NO already. i am thinking i am not the only one here who is getting tired of this.
your not...i cant wait for all this crap to be finished.

CareyPrice x 31 is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 06:50 PM
  #319
mbz
Registered User
 
mbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24morecupsthanyou View Post
If Sundin wants to play for a bottom feeding trash team, he'll stick around in Toronto...why go through the effort of moving to Vancouver and face the same adversity?
Well he'll be getting 5 mil more per season, and Toronto is alot worst than Vancouver.. With a guy like luongo in goal, you never know what can happen.. but then again they still have to go trough Detroit,Anaheim,Dalls and SJ.. So if he really wants to win he'll sign with Montreal.

mbz is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 07:12 PM
  #320
TheAntiprice*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
anybody thinks that Mats might pull a niedermayer/Selanne?...I know he said he wants to be with a team right from the training cup and doesn't believe in the concept of a rental player...but I wouldn't be shocked if he did something like that...he might wait till december to see how the Leafs do, if they can hang around .500, I can see come back and help them for a playoff push...

TheAntiprice* is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
  #321
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
this thread has turned into the equivalent of:


bib is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 07:22 PM
  #322
White Spy
Spy vs Blades
 
White Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
this thread has turned into the equivalent of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FX3SnVG-2A

White Spy is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 07:36 PM
  #323
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24morecupsthanyou View Post
If Sundin wants to play for a bottom feeding trash team, he'll stick around in Toronto...why go through the effort of moving to Vancouver and face the same adversity?
So, does tough talk get him any closer to Mtl ?

mcphee is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 07:41 PM
  #324
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Yeah, people seem to forget that there even will be a training camp. That's where guys make the team or they don't. If Latendresse is the guy that doesn't stand out, he can be sent to Hamilton as much as any other player with a two-way contract.
Sorry, he can't. Not without passing waivers. Not without getting claimed by another team.


Article 13.4 from the CBA:



^The example above is a mirror-copy of Latendresse's realtime situation.
  • 18 year old drafted in the 2005 draft? Check.
  • Signed an SPC after July 2006 at the age of 19? Check. (Signed on September 29th 2006, per Sportsnet)
  • Played 11 games during the 2006-07 season? Check.

It would seem that Latendresse would be exempt from the waiver wire for another season... but wait, there is a little note right below-
Note: Once a 20 year old played in his 160th NHL game, he will immediately become eligible for Regular and Re-Entry waivers.

Latendresse has played in 153 regular season NHL games and 8 NHL playoff games, which come up to 161 total NHL games.

You may think that the playoff games don't count, but they do (according to the CBA).
Article 1 (page 4) of the CBA states that: "NHL GAMES" means Regular Season Games and Playoff Games.

Conclusion: Guillaume Latendresse is eligible for waivers.

Conclusion #2: Bob Gainey is not dumb enough to lose Latendresse thru waivers.

The wet dream ends here boys.

pine* is offline  
Old
07-18-2008, 08:03 PM
  #325
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
So, does tough talk get him any closer to Mtl ?
quick, get him with the feces!

bib is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.