HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny rumors persist

Old
08-17-2008, 01:48 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Shanahan is like Gary Roberts,that key vetern guy you want for the playoffs.Skill wise better than Roberts.
I try to say this with as much reverence to Shanahan as I can possibly muster, as in his prime, and even prior to his concussion in 06-07 he was phenomenal.

Shanahan was more a hindrance than an asset the last 25+ games of the season (including the playoffs) or so. Deference to him setting up in the slot (and also Jagr) absolutely marginalized our offensive efforts (particularly on the PP). He did contribute on the PK and in leadership, but he is barely a shell of his former self.

Question: How many goals do you think he scored in the final 25 games last year?
Answer:THREE! One of which came in the playoffs.

That's not the contribution I want from someone being sought specifically for the playoffs.

I pray we do not bring him back, because at this point it is painful watching how far one of my favorite players has fallen.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
and the one he scored on the playoffs was a terrible goal that no real NHL goalie should give up...least of all Uncle Daddy.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 02:24 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I try to say this with as much reverence to Shanahan as I can possibly muster, as in his prime, and even prior to his concussion in 06-07 he was phenomenal.

Shanahan was more a hindrance than an asset the last 25+ games of the season (including the playoffs) or so. Deference to him setting up in the slot (and also Jagr) absolutely marginalized our offensive efforts (particularly on the PP). He did contribute on the PK and in leadership, but he is barely a shell of his former self.

Question: How many goals do you think he scored in the final 25 games last year?
Answer:THREE! One of which came in the playoffs.

That's not the contribution I want from someone being sought specifically for the playoffs.

I pray we do not bring him back, because at this point it is painful watching how far one of my favorite players has fallen.
A full off-season to heal and come back fresh might change your mind. If Shanny goes balls to the wall towards the end because this might be his last season, you know hes going all out to help bring that cup to ny

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 02:48 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
A full off-season to heal and come back fresh might change your mind. If Shanny goes balls to the wall towards the end because this might be his last season, you know hes going all out to help bring that cup to ny
Then he should've gone balls to the wall last season, because it might be his last...

I just don't think he has enough gas in the tank anymore, and believe the positive effect a full off-season to heal might have is negated by the negative effects of another year of age on his body.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 06:43 PM
The Thomas J.*

What hurt Shanny this season was Shanny himself, he talked himself back into the line up & he was still injured. Renney should have reliazed that & stood frim & let him heal up, I know both Renney & Shanny felt the PO's were sliping away, Still Shanny should have taken the time to get right.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 08:23 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
this is why Shanny must be brought back. no one else would do this to make a statement.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3AD72X4KnkQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3AD72X4KnkQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 08:23 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

[QUOTE=BDubinskyNYR17;15187032]this is why Shanny must be brought back. no one else would do this to make a statement.

Old
08-17-2008, 08:33 PM
NYR Viper

the movement to a speed game this offseason would be negated if shanahan is resigned

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Shanny or Sundin. There will be a HOF player on next years roster

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 10:03 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

i like both players but i think the edge goes to shanny. if gomez or drury got knocked down would sundin drop the gloves?? i doubt it. shanny is useful into changing momentum when needed and comes to the aid of a teammate. that brings the team together and helps on the ice as well.

Old
08-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
i like both players but i think the edge goes to shanny. if gomez or drury got knocked down would sundin drop the gloves?? i doubt it. shanny is useful into changing momentum when needed and comes to the aid of a teammate. that brings the team together and helps on the ice as well.
You would take Shanny over Sundin? Pass that bad boy this way man!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
honestly i wouldnt be surprised if both were on the team, at the start of the season

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
honestly i wouldnt be surprised if both were on the team, at the start of the season
Nah......

Sundin to NY
Shanny to the Blues

Old
08-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Nah......

Sundin to NY
Shanny to the Blues
where'd you make the Shanny to the Blues assumption?

Old
08-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Radek27

Quote:
I think it's a reasonable one no? I mean it fits. If he doesn't sign with us I can see him considering them, he also said in an interview he would love to play for the Leafs but I doubt they would want him. I see a few teams who fit for him really:

Blues- Knows the city and a younger team who could use his leadership.
Leafs- Always wanted to play there but the Leafs are going young.
Devils- Seen him up close a lot lately and was drafted by them. Plus piss the Rangers off.
Isles- Who couldn't they use? Plus piss the Rangers off.
Habs- Original six team who is contending this year (even though I still think they need a goalie)
Pens- Makes the Pens forget who Roberts was.
Wings- Does he want another quick cup before he hangs em up?

Old
08-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I think it's a reasonable one no? I mean it fits. If he doesn't sign with us I can see him considering them, he also said in an interview he would love to play for the Leafs but I doubt they would want him. I see a few teams who fit for him really:

Blues- Knows the city and a younger team who could use his leadership.
Leafs- Always wanted to play there but the Leafs are going young.
Devils- Seen him up close a lot lately and was drafted by them. Plus piss the Rangers off.
Isles- Who couldn't they use? Plus piss the Rangers off.
Habs- Original six team who is contending this year (even though I still think they need a goalie)
Pens- Makes the Pens forget who Roberts was.
Wings- Does he want another quick cup before he hangs em up?
Leafs-like you said going young
Devils-No intrest from Shanahan or New Jersey
Isles-No intrest from Shanahan
Habs-No intrest in him anymore
Pens-They tossed Roberts because hes slow
Wings-Slow, and they dont have $$$

Old
08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Because it was mentioned in an article at stltoday.com.

Some of the Blues fans that want Shanahan back think he'll outperform last season's 23 goals ... so I'm just curious - since you guys saw much more of him than anyone else, does anyone here [especially in the "we want Shanahan back" crowd] see him getting 25-30 goals this season as a few of the pro-Shanahan Blues fans think he could?

08-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Because it was mentioned in an article at stltoday.com.

Some of the Blues fans that want Shanahan back think he'll outperform last season's 23 goals ... so I'm just curious - since you guys saw much more of him than anyone else, does anyone here [especially in the "we want Shanahan back" crowd] see him getting 25-30 goals this season as a few of the pro-Shanahan Blues fans think he could?
Im one of the biggest Shanny supporters and i really want him to return. by no freaking way does he outperform last year's totals. maybe assist wise he does better but no way does he sniff 25 goals. a reasonable number would be 15-20 goals IMO.

Old
08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I think it would be ideal if Shanny returned as a player/coach, taking the Assistant coaching position and only playing on the powerplay and in the shootout. Is that even allowed in the NHL nowadays?

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
I think it would be ideal if Shanny returned as a player/coach, taking the Assistant coaching position and only playing on the powerplay and in the shootout. Is that even allowed in the NHL nowadays?
There's something badass about the assistant coach getting on the ice for the shoot out, but I really doubt it's allowed.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Garfinkel1

If we don't get sundin then I would want him for 1.5m 3rd line/PP (Not so much PK). Yes, He would potentially taking a guy like korps spot but like someone said he's ONLY 21. One more year in Hartford won't hurt him. It would only benefit playing top line minutes vs 3rd line minutes here. Plus, Alot of you guys are saying Shanny can't play a full season. If thats the case then big deal...We call korp up for 10-20 games this season and he gets his taste of the NHL.

Also:How many games can you play in a season to still be considered a rookie in the next?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The longer this drags out the more likely its Shanahan. He's a Ranger, his kids are about to start school, he'll get bonus structured $$$ that can carry over once the cba is ratified. They will go into it with the understanding he'll play 3rd line with Dubi and player x and get plenty of games off to rest and let prospects from Hartford get a shot too.

He will probably take a little less $$ and accept the Captaincy

A team could be a lot worse off than having Shanny on the 3rd line. Great experience for Dubi too.

Don't under estimate Shannys stature with his team mates and young players coming up. Physically he's getting near the end of his NHL days, but he has a lot to contribute to any team with experience. Especially come playoff time. Unlike Gomez and Drury Shanny has a mean streak. This team needs some of that. They have lots of skill, "dormant" scoring ability. They have an above average blueline and money goaltender. They need to cultivate that winning edge. Teams need to have a healthy fear of Madison Square Garden and the NY Rangers. They need to fear the speed, the transition, The HENKE, and the edge that a Brendan Shanahan can help instill into a young impressionable team. Brendans never been wall flower. He has a BIG voice in the room and with the media. He says VERY WISE things at very calculated times to the press. He also masterfully navigated his way onto Jagrs team which is not exactly easy to do. He is a diplomat for his teammates, the franchise and the game.

He also has been great in the shootout.

He also has the most wicked slash in the NHL.

He said his intuition told him to come to NY over other offers. He had a feeling great things would happen. And really great things have happened. We've had an engaging team to root for these past few seasons. Perhaps even greater things are to come. This team will still be very sound defensively. But they will also be faster, quicker, bigger. If they could also absorb some of Shannys innate "edge" , well that would be just awesome. Money well spent imo.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 02:57 PM
n_a_c

Question remains: if you sign Shanahan, who do you trade/demote to Hartford? And which two remaining players are benched most games?

Gomez, Scott
Drury, Chris
Markus Naslund
Zherdev
Prucha, Petr
Voros
Rismiller
Fritsche
Sjostrom
Dubinsky, Brandon
Betts, Blair
Dawes, Nigel
Callahan, Ryan
Orr, Colton

I'm on the wall about Shanahan. I can see positives and negatives. But in that roster, I have a tough time trading/demoting a person, and benching two more so that Shanahan gets a regular spot.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Synergy27

I've been firmly against resigning Shanny all off-season, but after seeing this roster take shape, I actually think it might be a good idea to bring him back. Our top 2 lines are going to be very heavy on speed and finesse, but we could potentially ice a third line that will provide a great change of pace:

Shanahan-Dubinsky-Callahan

That line can definitely score goals, is very physical, and should do a good job possessing the puck down low. The problem is that I just have a hard time believing that Renney will limit Shanny's icetime, and that's a big issue. If the Rangers lose out on signing Sundin, however, I think Shanny absolutely must be signed.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I've been firmly against resigning Shanny all off-season, but after seeing this roster take shape, I actually think it might be a good idea to bring him back. Our top 2 lines are going to be very heavy on speed and finesse, but we could potentially ice a third line that will provide a great change of pace:

Shanahan-Dubinsky-Callahan

That line can definitely score goals, is very physical, and should do a good job possessing the puck down low. The problem is that I just have a hard time believing that Renney will limit Shanny's icetime, and that's a big issue. If the Rangers lose out on signing Sundin, however, I think Shanny absolutely must be signed.
I agree with your former beliefs! The top two lines desperatley need a forward that can add size, physicality and some skill...Shanny is nowhere near that answer..And for the 3rd line, I think we will need a non-stop two-way line the can play both ways with speed and som jam (Cally and Dubi are ideal)...Shanny would only drag it down..IMO, with the way the Rangers shape up now, there is not a single reason to bring back Shanny with or without Sundin (hopefully with)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote