HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny rumors persist

Old
07-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Thats crazy talk....I dont know where your passion for not liking Shanahan is born from, but he's been nothing but a good Ranger.

He's older, but he doesnt suck. He has nothing to be embarrassed over.

Look at his stats. Listen to what the coaches say about him. Listen to what his teammates say about him.

Are his overall skills diminishing? Yes

Does he still have a role to play? I think the case can be made to say yes. YES

My passion for not liking Shanny stems from his insistance that he just wanted to play for the Rangers last offseason and then signed for MORE money..

He's older and i personally cringe when he's on the ice....it's like watching a legends game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
Wow. That statement is an embarrassment. If a 39 year old finishing second on the team in goals and fourth in points is an embarrassment, then how do you label almost the entire rest of our team, who were younger and finished behind him in scoring last season? Do you define them as colossal embarrassments or something?
what if dawes played those minutes last year....my guess is you'd see more production...

shanny is old, brittle, slow, and his leadership is overblown..when the team really needs him to step up on the ice he doesn't have that extra gear anymore....

the fact is if shanny was so important then the Rangers would've had him signed already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAloneJustBlue View Post
Uh oh, now you've done it! I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to criticize any of the "young" players -- don't you know that they don't score because Jagr's style and authoritarian rule over the team, because of all the useless older players taking up spots from guys that would have scored double the amount if only allowed to? Rangers vets = bad, Rangers young = good, Rangers talent unproven at NHL level = automatic cup winners.

Ok, I digress, but seriously, Shanny an embarrassment to himself and the team? Not only is that inaccurate on many levels, I also don't think you could find a Ranger who would agree with that statement if their lives depended on it. The venom that some seem to have to anyone who is not named Lundquist, Avery, Korpo, or for some reason Antoine Vermette is palpable on this board.
It's just hard to take such an emphatic statement like that seriously. Regardless if you want him back or not, claiming he isn't able to play at an NHL level is dubious at best, claiming he is an embarrassment is simply absurd. So you want him back this year right?

Have you watched lead legged shanny skate at all? he looks like he's got a parachute attached to his back....

do you know any rangers personally that you can give us a fair assesment at what they "really" feel?

Don't take the statement seriously but ask yourself this question...if he was so good why isn't he under contract right now? why haven't teams that overspend on free agents all the time thrown shanny a contract?

claiming shanny is a leader is absurd....what has he led THIS team too?

I agree with your assesment that most fans think younger=better but i'm not one of those fans...i just think shanny is a waste of money and waste of a roster spot...

i'd rather see what someone that can skate faster then colton orr play on the top 3 lines...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Please...please stop. It is in no way a quantitive measure of anything .

Ill counter the same point. YOU WEREN'T IN THE ROOM

How do you just throw all that blame on Shanny. Maybe its what he said in the midst of those losses that kept the team from taking a turn for the worse.

Losing to Pitts was far from Shannys fault and that Montreal game was a fluke.

Please go google Brendan Shanahan. Look at what he's accomplished. He's a $$$ player, a warrior. He aint a kid anymore but he's far from a "cone"!

1st ballot HALL OF FAME

He was the teams 2nd goal scorer last season, despite his age.
Were you? In the room?

I can see that this is turning into a question of faith. No facts can measure the value of Shanny's leadership, nor bring it into question. Just like any brand of religion, you either believe or you don't. Logic need not apply here.

Btw, what's the point in bringing up Shanny's past accomplishments and HOF credentials? You can't possibly believe that others aren't aware of it.

Jagr is twice the player right now and his past credentials are just as impressive. He would've been a much better choice, even for 2 years, if you must have a HOF player here. But the brass wanted to get younger and faster. Yet Shanahan is a better fit than him or Straka now?

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Shanahan is a much better player than McCarty or Drake, but the Red Wings are willing to make room for vetern players that have winning experience.

redundant? how many of those bottom six forwards scored 23 goals this season?
Probably very few. So what does that mean for Shanahan on the 3rd line next year? Is he going to be the exception to the rule just because he's getting some PP time? 11 goals on the PP this year, that leaves 12 even strength tallies to match his production. Can't really say I see that happening.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Were you? In the room?

I can see that this is turning into a question of faith. No facts can measure the value of Shanny's leadership, nor bring it into question. Just like any brand of religion, you either believe or you don't. Logic need not apply here.

Btw, what's the point in bringing up Shanny's past accomplishments and HOF credentials? You can't possibly believe that others aren't aware of it.

Jagr is twice the player right now and his past credentials are just as impressive. He would've been a much better choice, even for 2 years, if you must have a HOF player here. But the brass wanted to get younger and faster. Yet Shanahan is a better fit than him or Straka now?
what? this a site not a house. and how do you compare leadership to religion.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Shanahan is a much better player than McCarty or Drake, but the Red Wings are willing to make room for vetern players that have winning experience.

redundant? how many of those bottom six forwards scored 23 goals this season?
Drake/McCarty could still do something essential for an effective 4th liner --- hit. Shanahan hasn't been a physical player in years now. And as far as goals go, do you really believe Shanny scores 20 with their minutes?

Old
07-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Probably very few.
probably exactly zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
So what does that mean for Shanahan on the 3rd line next year? Is he going to be the exception to the rule just because he's getting some PP time? 11 goals on the PP this year, that leaves 12 even strength tallies to match his production. Can't really say I see that happening.
well let's say he gets downgraded from his 2nd line ice time (11:58 ES/gm) to Ryan Callahan's ice time (11:02 ES/gm), as Callahan was almost exclusively on the 3rd line this year. that's going to drop his production that much?

I expect Shanahan's production will drop, because he's older, but I'd be surprised if anyone but Gomez, Drury, Zherdev, Naslund, or Dubinsky produced more.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
what? this a site not a house. and how do you compare leadership to religion.
Re-read what I was responding to. Then look up what ANALOGY is.

Old
07-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Drake/McCarty could still do something essential for an effective 4th liner --- hit. Shanahan hasn't been a physical player in years now. And as far as goals go, do you really believe Shanny scores 20 with their minutes?
do you think that they would score 20 with Shanny's minutes?

there's no GM in the league that would take either Drake or McCarty over Shanahan, I guarantee you.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Esa 10

Quote:

there's no GM in the league that would take either Drake or McCarty over Shanahan, I guarantee you.
Disagree. GMs put together teams not collections of best players. Drake was far more useful to a team full of finesse forwards than Shanny could've ever been.

Old
07-16-2008, 05:14 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
31, I think it is more than just the minutes. Look at the enivronment Shanny was allowed to operate in. I posted this a while back when I was trying to warn everyone of Shanny's impending end of season collapse..........

Shanny's Environment:
-allowed to sit in the slot on our first PP unit and wait for the other 4 players on the ice to do all the work and set him up for a slapshot which 9 times out of 10 ends up comfortably in the goalies chest
-allowed to avoid any high contact areas including along the boards and in front of the net
-never has to forecheck under any circumstance
-never responsible for carrying the puck into the offensive zone, allowed to just dump the puck in and let the other forwards chase it
-allowed to make sloppy backhanded passes towards the middle of the ice without any fear of discipline from Tom Renney in the form of a benching or less ice time
-allowed to play with our best playmaking forward in Gomez for every single even strength shift

That is about as ideal an environment a player can be allowed to operate in. So if the question is can someone else like Prucha, Dawes or Cally score 20 goals if they are allowed to operate in that environment, I would say yes.

Alot of people are suggesting that Shanny should be brought back in a limited role and played on the PP. That should have happened last season. His role and icetime should have been reduced last year and it didn't happen. I brought this up before, Renney showed me this past season that when he is presented with a situation where there is a veteren on the downside of his career who has a strong personality, Renney puts that players feelings/ego ahead of the teams best interest. Shanny should not have been playing with Gomez our best playmaking center and arguably our fastest player. That concerns me about Renney going forward especially now that we have Naslund on our team and if he starts to decline as quickly as Shanny.

As for our PP and Shanny's importance to it. Our PP was horrendous last year. Take a look at the Red Wings PP. They always have someone standing in front of the net. Our PP had Shanny standing in the high slot. If your gonna have 4 guys on the exterior responsible for puck possesion then that 5th player needs to be in the front of the net, not in the high slot. The problem is that Shanny isn't willing to stand in front of the net at this point in his career because you take alot of punishment there.

We are changing the look and style of our team this off season. I have my concerns but I am trying to be optimistic. Re-signing Shanny would be a huge step backwards in our efforts to change the look of our team. Straka would have fit alot better with the new team look then Shanny.

I told myself I would not discuss Shanny anymore once the season ended but just when I think I am out...he drags me back in.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 05:36 PM
The Thomas J.*

I too would like to see a decsion regarding Shanny sooner than latter, Sather was very upfront when disscusing the Situation he Said "I spoke to Brendon, I told to to sit tight until we see how things shake out."

That to me sounded like a 50/50 On Shanny coming back, everything Sather has domne this week points towards Shanny re-signing.

I'd like him back, however I too am 50/50 on it.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Look, embarrassment might be a bit harsh, but your comeback is flawed as well. Where do the respective players wind up pts-wise if you switch Shanny's ice time (and specifically his PP ice time) with Prucha, Dawes, etc.?
I wasn't trying to debate hypothetical situations. If that's what you're going for, you missed the entire point of my post, so I'll clarify it. Some people may want Shanahan back, some might not. To each his own and everyone's entitled to their opinion of whether or not he fits the team's direction/needs.

My point was: an older Shanahan came here and gave us two seasons where he notched over 100 points and added some much needed grit to the scoring lines. This is a guy in his late 30s, who has over 600 career goals, and the coaches ask him to kill penalties. He does it. He or a teammate is getting leaned on, he leans back. The captain is not comfortable in shootouts, Shanahan just does it. Shanahan's older and not the player he once was. But he played hard with the tools he had, always seemed to do what the coaches asked, supported his teammates, and always seemed to do what was in the best interest of the team. For someone to say, "Shanny is an embarassment to himself and the Rangers," I have an issue with that.

Old
07-16-2008, 06:58 PM
DutchShamrock

I keep seeing the same rationale of "Shanny would be great on the 3rd line" and I keep thinking, our problem is we have 10 3rd liners trying to make this team. We have so many in fact, some may be playing the 2nd line. What we need is a 2nd line winger.

Consider that. Consider our needs and solve it with our assets. Now, put yourself in Renney's shoes, or better yet, in his head. Your problem is that you need a 2nd line Right wing. You have Callahan, Sjostrom, Prucha, Fritsche and sitting over here, with his 600 NHL goals, 3 Stanley Cup rings and a glare that cold freeze over that rink, is Brendan Shanahan.

Come opening night, I don't even have to tell you who is skating on the 2nd line on the right side playing 18+ minutes a night no matter what his salary is, no matter what letter he is or isn't wearing, no matter what terms he agreed to concerning his role on this team. Tom Renney will put Shanahan in the top 6 if his options remain the same from today until the trade deadline.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:09 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
I could see this happening:
Cap space Now is 1.302.000 (thanx Kodiak)
Sjöström signed at 850.000
Cap space is then 450.000
Sjöström (or Rissmiller/Voros which I seriously doubt) and a lower prospect (Moore?) are traded to San Jose for Doug Murray (creates 300.000)
Remaining cap space is then at 750.000 with 7 defensemen signed

Prucha, the Hollweg pick and Callahan sent to Vancouver for Tyler Pyatt
Creates 650.000 in cap space
Shanny resigned at the remaining breadcrumbs ie = 1.400.000

Näslund - Gomez - Pyatt
Dawes - Drury - Zherdev
Fritsche - Dubinsky - Shanahan
Rissmiller - Betts - Voros/Orr

Redden - Staal
Rozie - Girardi
Kalinin - Mara
Murray

Now that is some sandpaper...
Probably just a mad rave but... interesting...
Too many changes..

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
My passion for not liking Shanny stems from his insistance that he just wanted to play for the Rangers last offseason and then signed for MORE money..

He's older and i personally cringe when he's on the ice....it's like watching a legends game...

what if dawes played those minutes last year....my guess is you'd see more production...

shanny is old, brittle, slow, and his leadership is overblown..when the team really needs him to step up on the ice he doesn't have that extra gear anymore....

the fact is if shanny was so important then the Rangers would've had him signed already...

Have you watched lead legged shanny skate at all? he looks like he's got a parachute attached to his back....

do you know any rangers personally that you can give us a fair assesment at what they "really" feel?

Don't take the statement seriously but ask yourself this question...if he was so good why isn't he under contract right now? why haven't teams that overspend on free agents all the time thrown shanny a contract?

claiming shanny is a leader is absurd....what has he led THIS team too?

I agree with your assesment that most fans think younger=better but i'm not one of those fans...i just think shanny is a waste of money and waste of a roster spot...

i'd rather see what someone that can skate faster then colton orr play on the top 3 lines...
i agree totally.....he isnt the same player he used to be.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Sjöström (or Rissmiller/Voros which I seriously doubt) and a lower prospect (Moore?) are traded to San Jose for Doug Murray (creates 300.000)

Näslund - Gomez - Pyatt
Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

Redden - Staal
Rozie - Girardi
Kalinin - Mara
Murray

Too many changes..
we dont need doug murray though.

Old
07-16-2008, 09:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Näslund - Gomez - Pyatt
Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

Redden - Staal
Rozie - Girardi
Kalinin - Mara
Murray

Too many changes..
honestly, do you think that lineup is better with shanny instead of callahan?....or sjostrom?....or korpikoski?.....because i dont...although i like the trade for pyatt as i like the way he plays the game

Old
07-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I keep seeing the same rationale of "Shanny would be great on the 3rd line" and I keep thinking, our problem is we have 10 3rd liners trying to make this team. We have so many in fact, some may be playing the 2nd line. What we need is a 2nd line winger.

Consider that. Consider our needs and solve it with our assets. Now, put yourself in Renney's shoes, or better yet, in his head. Your problem is that you need a 2nd line Right wing. You have Callahan, Sjostrom, Prucha, Fritsche and sitting over here, with his 600 NHL goals, 3 Stanley Cup rings and a glare that cold freeze over that rink, is Brendan Shanahan.

Come opening night, I don't even have to tell you who is skating on the 2nd line on the right side playing 18+ minutes a night no matter what his salary is, no matter what letter he is or isn't wearing, no matter what terms he agreed to concerning his role on this team. Tom Renney will put Shanahan in the top 6 if his options remain the same from today until the trade deadline.

This is a great point....

I'll go one further..

I think guys like Callahan, Sjostrom, Prucha etc look at Shanahan as more of a threat then a leader. These guys can count they can already see we probably going to have one forward moved before camp.

Add Shanny in the mix and that's two forwards on the team and in the system who are going to get screwed by a guy that has no business being in the lineup...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
if the rangers were odds on favorites to win the cup he would sign with us for a major discount. we aren't because of that team in detroit, where he would sign for that discount.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:21 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
honestly, do you think that lineup is better with shanny instead of callahan?....or sjostrom?....or korpikoski?.....because i dont...although i like the trade for pyatt as i like the way he plays the game
I honestly do not think Shanny is better than the alternatives you posted
But - in this strange universe - I said I can see this happening
So we both agree...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:27 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
So we both agree...
oh, i know, it was more a rhetorical question as im sure most people would take the energy player and the player with more promise who hs more speed and needs that ice time to improve and reach their potential

Old
07-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
So we both agree...
your roster is pretty realistic. what i am hoping to see is:

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Drury-Prucha
Korpedo/Cally-Dubinsky-Fritsche
Voros/Orr/Sjo-Betts-Sjo/Cally/Korpedo

Staal-Rozsival
Redden-Girardi
Mara-Kalinin
Pock

Henke
Vally

Old
07-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Were you? In the room?
No

The difference is that the players and coaches who were in the room all profess what key guy he is. He is one of the most revered, respected players in the league.

07-16-2008, 11:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Not at all. I'm simply pointing out that their leadership qualities contribute a lot less to the team's success than their salary cap hits suggest they should.
How do you know that? How do you know that without his leadership the Rangers fall apart when the going gets tough?

Last year there were lots of chemistry issues, Henrik had a rough spell.

I distinctly remember an interview Shanny gave where he discussed that the young guys hadnt been around an NHL team that was losing yet and if they didnt pull it together they were going to see the team dismantled at the deadline..... Thats what he said in public.

I keep making the same point in this thread.

WE DONT KNOW WHAT HE SAYS , OR DOESN'T SAY, IN THE ROOM THAT = LEADERSHIP

But Sather and Renny do. All the endless props from team mates and ex team mates, even long time rivals....

Its not some conspiracy, The guy is a legend. A legend who was second on the team in goals last year.

If Sather and Renny deem the Rangers are a better team with Shanny next season than I believe they have a sound basis for making that decision.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:15 AM
NYR Viper

^^^^

i just hope he isnt expected to contribute offensively, as i dont think he would break 30 points next year playing on the lower lines