HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny rumors persist

Old
07-17-2008, 07:45 AM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
if the rangers were odds on favorites to win the cup he would sign with us for a major discount. we aren't because of that team in detroit, where he would sign for that discount.
Good point, a GM like Ken Holland thought he could improve his team 3 years ago by parting ways with Shanahan and he can have him at a discount now and still passes him up. If that is how Ken Holland wins cups, who am I to argue.

Anyone want to guess why Holland parted ways with Shanny in the first place? Hint: it's relevant to our situation.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
For better or worse, this year, what you propose has a $4 million cap hit, not $500,000. There is a clause in the CBA that allows the NHLPA to opt-out of the contract (that doesn't expire until next after next season) and until or unless they agree to waive re-opening the contract, no bonuses can be deferred. It was talked about a lot several weeks ago on both this board and in published reports (and journalists' blogs).

If you want Shanahan cheap, he has to agree to play for it, no mirrors this year.
The CBA defines two types of bonuses, deferred and Performance. The bonus to which I am refering is the Performance Bonus which would be allowable under the current CBA section 50.2biC due to Shanny's age. The second important area to consider is section 50.5hii where it defines the 7.5% cushion which against a 56.7 million cap would equate to 4.2525 million. Even if players like Korpikoski and Stall are on the team (i dont know of any others who are being paid bonuses), their bonuses would only consume a portion of that 4+million. Using this additional cap space, as they did last year, would be a good decision.

Quote:
It was talked about a lot several weeks ago on both this board and in published reports (and journalists' blogs).
Have they written these sections out of the CBA?

EDIT: It's still in there but because the CBA isn't garaunteed for next year the cushion, essentially, doesn't exist. That sucks! http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=242079

Last edited by vipernsx: 07-17-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Article attached
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

Quote:
The Rangers are in discussions with Brendan Shanahan about a 1yr deal worth 1.5 million with incentives that can reach 2.5 million. Shanahan has drawn interest from the New York Islanders, St.Louis Blues and Atlanta Thrashers but he is only interested in signing with a contender.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Alcapwn89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Which really only leaves us.

He'll be back with us.

Alcapwn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Good point, a GM like Ken Holland thought he could improve his team 3 years ago by parting ways with Shanahan and he can have him at a discount now and still passes him up. If that is how Ken Holland wins cups, who am I to argue.

Anyone want to guess why Holland parted ways with Shanny in the first place? Hint: it's relevant to our situation.
Um. Holland didn't part ways with Shanahan and Holland didn't pass Shanahan up at a discount. Holland tried to keep him in 2006 and offered him a 1.2 million dollar raise. Shanahan chose to leave. Holland offered him the same money we did that year and a longer contract, and Montreal offered him a million more than we did. Shanahan chose to play in NY. That's why Shanahan left...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), July 9, 2006
It wasn't about money. The Wings offered Shanahan the exact same one-year, $4-million deal - and even extended the 37-year-old a two-year offer - and Montreal offered him a one-year deal at $5 million. It was, in the end, about moving on, and New York presents another opportunity to challenge for the Stanley Cup.

"I gave it a lot of thought, and ultimately, my instincts were that I was more associated with Detroit's great past than necessarily the promising future they have," Shanahan said Sunday. "That's not anyone's fault. As time has rolled on, I just felt that, with some of the departures of some of the players that were there when I started, I felt more and more identified with its past.

That's what pushed me to a new challenge on a new team."

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

my thoughts on this topic....

http://www.rangersreview.com/2008/07...sing-a-legend/

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
my thoughts on this topic....
Nice ... very well written.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:25 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcapwn89 View Post
Which really only leaves us.

He'll be back with us.

We are a contender???

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:30 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

Nice read, i'm 50/50 on him coming back.

I've no idea how these new guys are gonna fit in & where & who is everyone is going to play, I'm just like Eh on the whole thing.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:49 AM
shoothepuck

He could retire and put this issue to rest, as even Gov. Patterson was able to witness his decline last season. His replacement is not a lock to equal his offensive production, but that dosen't mean that whoever takes his playing minutes couldn't/wouldn't be as productive. Since he hasn't signed anywhere yet, you figure Sather offers him a reduced role at minimal salery to return.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:52 AM
tdawg56

I think we need to move on from him. He is too slow. His precense alone makes renney give him ice time that he shouldnt have. On the PP he just stands there waiting to shoot. Thats a big reason why our PP struggled. I would rather trade 2 of our fowards to get a young speedster with good hands in here.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg56 View Post
I think we need to move on from him. He is too slow. His precense alone makes renney give him ice time that he shouldnt have. On the PP he just stands there waiting to shoot. Thats a big reason why our PP struggled. I would rather trade 2 of our fowards to get a young speedster with good hands in here.
I think they have but people won't let it go till he signs elsewhere....Shanny still can score and should go somewhere to try and win again..........I think a team like Montreal needs leaders but they are fast like the Rangers want to be so don't think it fits

I think Shanny in Chicago is PERFECT..............as long as they shed Bulin's salary and that will go down at some pt

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:36 AM
rvdnsx

Shanny to Detroit

I can see Shanny going back to Detroit for a final season and a chance to win his 4th Cup with them. If he comes back to NY it will only be for one year and I don't see us winning the cup this year. Detroit is a well oiled machine that is built to play any style of hockey. They also developed players from within and put them on lines with established veterans and that is why they have been so successful. You don't put youngsters with other youngsters and expect there game to develop. More teams should follow Detroit's method and I am saying this as a die hard Ranger fan.

rvdnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:38 AM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
thats more or less my opinion on the matter. its not easy to turn away from a guy like Shanahan, especially when he's willing to take on a reduced role, and in theory, salary to be part of bringing a cup here. that being said, after overhauling the roster this summer, and the changing eras of this team, bringing shanahan back doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
We are a contender???
if you do think about it, we are a pretty solid team. i would give us the #4 best offense in the east with the #2 best goalie and the #1 defense in the east.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:05 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
Um. Holland didn't part ways with Shanahan and Holland didn't pass Shanahan up at a discount. Holland tried to keep him in 2006 and offered him a 1.2 million dollar raise. Shanahan chose to leave. Holland offered him the same money we did that year and a longer contract, and Montreal offered him a million more than we did. Shanahan chose to play in NY. That's why Shanahan left...
Well, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I could have sworn it was an issue of them wanting to get youth into the top lines and for Shanny to have a reduced roll. Sort of a mutual parting.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
if you do think about it, we are a pretty solid team. i would give us the #4 best offense in the east with the #2 best goalie and the #1 defense in the east.
Sure--on paper. But, last I looked, hockey is played on a sheet of ice.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:02 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Sure--on paper. But, last I looked, hockey is played on a sheet of ice.
if that is true then how can u say any team is better than us when they haven't taken the ice either?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
if that is true then how can u say any team is better than us when they haven't taken the ice either?
Some teams are still mostly the same--they've added a player or two to address a weakness that became apparant last season or worked to get even better (like Detroit adding Hossa). The Rangers didn't make a couple of small changes, they made a several major changes and have changed the complexion of the team. And we don't even know if this is the end of the changes. How do we know what the team will look like when the first game of the season starts? Most pundits predicted that the Rangers would be the division champions last year and had a good chance of going to the Stanley Cup finals when the season started and that Jagr would mesh with either Drury or Gomez and put up a monster season. What did they know? Nothing that wasn't on paper. Chemisty on the ice matters and if anything, it matters just as much as the talent a team seems to have on paper.

I've been through too many "re-toolings", re-organizations and wholesale changes of players to think that anyone can predict how a team will look before it actually hits the ice. At least wait until the second day of training camp, before predicting how a 6+ month season is going to play out.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

per Strickland

Quote:
All I can say is this, the longer Brendan Shanahan sits the more interesting this story will become.

The better way to phrase this may be to say the longer Glen Sather continues to string Shanahan along the more interesting this story becomes.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
DontStepanMe

wow reading that just made me depressed. WE DO NOT NEED SHANNY. What is so freakin hard to understand about this Sather?

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:31 AM
TomLaidlaw

If we trade away a young player in order to make room for Shanny I am gonna lose my mind. We are already in a situation where a player like Korpedo may not be able to make the team because of his cap hit, even if he has an amazing camp. This makes absolutely no sense.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:46 AM
NYR Viper

yea......the rangers already need to trade a few forwards away...why would they deal a player like prucha to replace him with a 40 y/o shanahan who looked horrible at the end of the season

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Ladies and Gents please welcome the 25th Captain of the NY Rangers

Brendaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanahan

07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Ladies and Gents please welcome the 25th Captain of the NY Rangers

Brendaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanahan
i think you mean chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssss drrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote