HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

At what point do you stop scoring?

Old
07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

vCash: 500
At what point do you stop scoring?

I had a Men's League "A" Division game last night, we were winning 8-0 in the first, and kept going in the second... we were thinking about when to slow down or stop scoring but the other team were just laughing and having a good time still.... the final score was 26-2.

Were we wrong to keep scoring?

I apologize if this sounds like a brag thread... I don't mean it to.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I'd stop at 10.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:10 PM
TasteofFlames

If the other team didn't seem ticked by the fact that you were destroying them and they weren't trying to cheap shot your players, then there is no reason to stop. When scores get that ridiculous, you can almost look at it like a pickup game. You get to dipsy-doodle and try stuff that would probably never work in real game. you could always shutdown and play defense only, dump the puck in, but that's fun for nobody. If your league uses goals as a tie breaker in the standings, then you should never stop trying to score.

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I once had a game where we were up 10-0, and the ref asked us to stop. I had 3 breakaways and had to curl off.

I'd say just keep scoring. It's alot more embarrasing to see people intentionally pass up shots, then to lose 20-0. After maybe Pee wee, kids should be able to get over losing, even one that bad.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
I always try and encourage the guys to ease up when it's about 12-0

Reason:

They are hardly enough kids anyway to make a lot of teams over here, and we really dont want kids quitting because of constantly losing.

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:08 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

He said it was a Men's League though....

Score as much as possible. You are all grown ups.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

I've been on both sides of the equation. When I'm the goaltender on the bad team, I get more offended when the other team quits trying to score. We're not going to get any better if you hang back and screw around instead of working to score.

When I'm the goaltender on the good team, that's when I go for lots of assists.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
He said it was a Men's League though....

Score as much as possible. You are all grown ups.
Right, I'm pretty sure the grown-up thing to do would be easing off if you're destroying them 10-0. You've already won, what the **** is the purpose in running the score?

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Heat McManus

When the god-damned horn sounds, punk! hehe

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Do figure out if you're just getting a ton of lucky breaks or if the other team is really that bad.

My team was down 7-0 after the 1st period in a game back in May. We came back and won.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Crosbyfan

Keep playing sound hockey but try to set up teammates that don't normally score. Ask the ref to not show more than a 6 goal differential on the scoreboard, so if it's really 26-2 it should read 8-2.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:43 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLions44 View Post
I had a Men's League "A" Division game last night, we were winning 8-0 in the first, and kept going in the second... we were thinking about when to slow down or stop scoring but the other team were just laughing and having a good time still.... the final score was 26-2.

Were we wrong to keep scoring?

I apologize if this sounds like a brag thread... I don't mean it to.
dude 26 to 2??? who are you guys the redwings during the offseason? I'm all for playing hard but that was a bit much. I'll be shocked if you tell me the goalie stayed in net for the whole thing.

Games with double digit scoring were very common place when I played roller hockey. If you're in the doubles, while the other team has barely cracked 2 or three then I'd take my foot of the scoring (not skating/passing/checking) peddle a bit...

damn that goalie/d sucked A$$$!! wait a minute!.. was it cloutier again???

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
deanosaur

I stop when the clock runs out.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

If it's a mens league, keep going. If they were able to laugh about it, then it's to the point it's just for fun. The worst we've ever lost is 14-8. We had a sub goalie who...well never played goalie before. The highest we scored was like 19-6 or 19-7 but it was Mens league. The sad thing was, they had the goon of the league who started throwing cheap hits. It doesn't matter though. If it's kids. encourage them to stop after 10. Mens, keep it going.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:59 PM
the_pen_is_mightier

If you stop trying, you're basically telling the other team that you're done toying with them and that they aren't worth playing anymore.
Try till the end (maybe not 110%, but you get the point), just don't hotdog it. The absolute worst thing you can do is run the score, and then start trying to embarass the other team by doing things like trying to pick the puck up on the blade of your stick, shoot between the legs, etc. That's just unsportsmanlike IMO.

the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
sparr0w

You should stop trying when the opposition stops trying.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:04 PM
SJGoalie32

I'm currently playing in goal for several adult rec league teams, two of which are dealing with this very issue of lopsided scoring (one on the losing side, one on the winning side....though both games are more like 10-1 or 12-1, and not 26-2). My view on this (and I've held this from both competitive and non-competitive youth teams & leagues, through college, and now into the adult ranks) is that you never stop "trying" to score, but you should dial back the intensity with which you try to score.

For example, if you're up by 10 and you get a breakaway, go ahead and take it. But don't go cherry-picking at the opposing blue line waiting for a breakout pass to come to you. If you get a breakaway because of a turnover or a good play/move then you have earned it. Additionally, if your team has lines/players that are noticably better than others, don't keep running the top lines out there. Give the lower guys more ice time. Don't have to bench your best players, they can keep taking their regular shifts, but they shouldn't be pulling double shifts.

Probably the most important difference: you shouldn't continue playing at 100+% physical intensity. Basically, you should keep playing the game to score and win, but if you're up by 10 you shouldn't be endangering anybody else's health (intentionally or inadvertently) to get that 11th goal. Nothing pisses me off more (on either team) than seeing some ******* go slamming someone into the boards from behind to get control of a puck with a double-digit lead. Ooooh, you stole the puck! Nobody cares! It's one thing to play on the "borderline" if you're up/down by a goal or two and battling hard at a time when every pass, shot, faceoff, possession, and inch of ice surface can be the difference between winning and losing. But once the outcome of the game is essentially determined, there's no need to cross-check that guy standing near your defensive crease.......or to take 2 and 3 extra hacks at the opposing goalie because you can still see part of the puck under his groin......or to send in 2-3 hard forecheckers to pressure the puck on a dump & chase......or to go ripping your hardest slapshot at somebody's head level......or to go whining to the official about a botched offsides.

Play the game, but just dial the intensity down about 3 or 4 notches.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pen_is_mightier View Post
If you stop trying, you're basically telling the other team that you're done toying with them and that they aren't worth playing anymore.
Try till the end (maybe not 110%, but you get the point), just don't hotdog it. The absolute worst thing you can do is run the score, and then start trying to embarass the other team by doing things like trying to pick the puck up on the blade of your stick, shoot between the legs, etc. That's just unsportsmanlike IMO.
Agree with of this, no hotdogging, dial it down a bit, but never stop playing. It's really disrespectful when it is obvious that you think you can score at will but choose not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post

Probably the most important difference: you shouldn't continue playing at 100+% physical intensity. Basically, you should keep playing the game to score and win, but if you're up by 10 you shouldn't be endangering anybody else's health (intentionally or inadvertently) to get that 11th goal. Nothing pisses me off more (on either team) than seeing some ******* go slamming someone into the boards from behind to get control of a puck with a double-digit lead. Ooooh, you stole the puck! Nobody cares! It's one thing to play on the "borderline" if you're up/down by a goal or two and battling hard at a time when every pass, shot, faceoff, possession, and inch of ice surface can be the difference between winning and losing. But once the outcome of the game is essentially determined, there's no need to cross-check that guy standing near your defensive crease.......or to take 2 and 3 extra hacks at the opposing goalie because you can still see part of the puck under his groin......or to send in 2-3 hard forecheckers to pressure the puck on a dump & chase......or to go ripping your hardest slapshot at somebody's head level......or to go whining to the official about a botched offsides.

Play the game, but just dial the intensity down about 3 or 4 notches.
You got me, I almost woke up the kids LOL.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
OilerNut*

You could always put the players scoring all the goals on defence and try giving the weaker players more ice time. So in a sense you're not giving up, just giving the weaker guys on your team a chance.

We lost our last game by 6-7 goals. The team we played had a lot of ringers on the team that they don't usually have. What really pissed us off is they were running the goalie and choping at his glove when he had the puck covered. Like is it really necessary to do that when your up by the much? Things got pretty ugly with a bunch of guys getting tossed.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:37 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

We had 8 players and a goalie, a 1 d sub and 2 o subs, the other team had like 16 players... we really were just alot better than them, we didn't hotdog at all, we were just earned alot of breaks and chances to set up and I guess towards the end we were given alot of chances because the defense kinda gave up but they were laughing and smiling the whole time.... goalie stayed in the whole game, we even offered to trade goalies if it made them feel better (even though goal tending was not the problem).... in retrospect I guess that was kind of an ******* thing to do but we never actually went through with the trade.

26-2 is not an exageration.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:41 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 50
Switch positions. If your defensemen are still scoring, well ... the other team deserves it then.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Red Dragon

Don't stop. Just change up positions for players. One game we won 24-0 a few years back and switched a lot of positions after a 10-0 lead early in the second. We tried to keep it competitve by trying to double there shots with goals, don't want any bad habits.

We also lost 17-1 in a game the year after, it's horrible but it happens. You just go out there and keep trying to play, not embarrsing yourselfs to much. Coaches should look at those games and take a lot from them. Some players quit after its 10-0 while other try harder.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:55 AM
94now

In our league after 10 goals difference theydo so-called "running time" i.e. clock doesn't stop after a whistle. No one usually wants to shorten their ice time since it's paid for. So we keep close to the number, but we never let the opponent to light it up just by taking it easy on them to keep low score difference.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Kardi

you keep going till the game ends.. clearly the other team shouldnt be in your division

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I was always told that you play no matter what the score, and I've been onthe other end of the score.

A few years ago we played against the UND team as an exhibition team. They killed us 8-2. Half of our team was complaining that they were running up the score, but really, I would have been more pissed off had they laid back to keep it close.

I'd rather lose to a team that played their best and kicked our ***** than lose to a team by one or two goals who clearly brought their B game.