HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs re-sign O'Byrne; sign Belle and Glumac

Old
07-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Habs re-sign O'Byrne; sign Belle and Glumac

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2435...=headlines_nhl

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Guillemin

Any word on terms? Three years for Obie worries me a little. Hopefully around 700 k.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Bobby G

Its obvious Sundin is comming now

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Any word on terms? Three years for Obie worries me a little. Hopefully around 700 k.
Why? lol!

Habs fans have been killing me...all summer people have been concerned about the amount of money guys like Lapierre, Halak, Gorges and O'Byrne were going to get

These guys have almost no leverage, it's not like they can quadrupule their salaries...they're all just establishing themselves in the NHL, slight increases in salary but nothing that will break the bank

O'Byrne won't be making more than 900-950K...and that's the most

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Why? lol!

Habs fans have been killing me...all summer people have been concerned about the amount of money guys like Lapierre, Halak, Gorges and O'Byrne were going to get

These guys have almost no leverage, it's not like they can quadrupule their salaries...they're all just establishing themselves in the NHL, slight increases in salary but nothing that will break the bank

BGL had very little leverage as well. We're still paying him a million and a half to punch people.

Old
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Why? lol!

And all those guys went for dirt cheap, including Kostitsyn. Habs fans are such primadonnas

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
BGL had very little leverage as well.
Yeah aside from that whole "probably the best fighter in the NHL today" business. And he's only making $200,000 more than he made last year or something like that.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Quote:
BGL had very little leverage as well. We're still paying him a million and a half to punch people.
What are you talking about? Laraque was a UFA, these kids aren't; that alone is a huge difference in terms of leverage right there.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:47 PM
champs83

Quote:
i think the term 'leverage' has to be redefined here.

champs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Quite the opposite...

BGL was a UFA with over 600 NHL games to his name and negotiating with a team that hasn't had a legit heavyweight since forever...

All of Lapierre, O'Byrne, Gorges and Halak were RFA's, with little NHL experience.

The one with the most experience (Gorges 140 + games) got the most significant raise

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Glumac, always willing to do whatever it takes. But he's a career AHLer.

Randall Ritchey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
24morecupsthanyou*

instead of everyone correcting Guillemin, lets just conclude that he's WRONG.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
yes, except an offer from Nashville for the same amount of money but two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24morecupsthanyou View Post
no. well, yes in fact. but no.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Guillemin

Quote:

You do have 24 more cups than me, though, so you're probably right...

BGL is one of the most one-dimensional players in the game. Granted, he only got a small raise over last year, but he did get a raise, and got one in spite of very few teams having interest in his services. Not to mention a three year deal, which none of you can argue is fair for a fighter of his age.

Obie can contribute in more ways than BGL. And is probably a more important piece of this team's success next year. I'll give you the experience difference, but would ask how much of that NHL experience was BGL sitting on the bench. The RFA/UFA comparison doens't hold as much water as it used to, before the KLowe era began. Granted, an offer sheet is unlikely, which decreases his value, but I hardly think it's worth just waving off as "under a million, so whatever".

The comparison with Gorges is more relevant, certainly more effective than just saying someone is WRONG.

Old
07-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Glumac, always willing to do whatever it takes. But he's a career AHLer.
So he couldn't be like 14th forward? Or play fourth line minutes?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
champs83

ever hear of a dressing room presence? on the same note, leadership isn't really a stat that can be quantified. for next year alone, laraque is more valuable than obyrne. period.

champs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

The Belle trade was a good move and it's good that he's signed. The kid has enormous potential and it's good that the Habs have some more depth on the blueline.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Glad to see O'B get a 3 year deal, I'm one of his bigger fans and think he's going to be a very solid NHLer. Was fun watching him at Cornell and Hamilton, I think he's going to need another year or two before he really shows what he can do but hopefully for the Habs, he'll be as good as I think he can be.

Glumac should bring some much needed veteran presence to a very young Hamilton team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearney913 View Post
The Belle trade was a good move and it's good that he's signed. The kid has enormous potential and it's good that the Habs have some more depth on the blueline.
I don't know about enormous, that's a very strong word to use, but I do think he'll be a solid addition to Hamilton, since they are light on LD's to begin with.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 05:09 PM
24morecupsthanyou*

Quote:

You do have 24 more cups than me, though, so you're probably right...

BGL is one of the most one-dimensional players in the game. Granted, he only got a small raise over last year, but he did get a raise, and got one in spite of very few teams having interest in his services. Not to mention a three year deal, which none of you can argue is fair for a fighter of his age.

Obie can contribute in more ways than BGL. And is probably a more important piece of this team's success next year. I'll give you the experience difference, but would ask how much of that NHL experience was BGL sitting on the bench. The RFA/UFA comparison doens't hold as much water as it used to, before the KLowe era began. Granted, an offer sheet is unlikely, which decreases his value, but I hardly think it's worth just waving off as "under a million, so whatever".

The comparison with Gorges is more relevant, certainly more effective than just saying someone is WRONG.
BGL is a role player, and he's certainly the best player to fill that role in the league. Yes he's an enforcer, but he's one that can actually play the game. His raise was minimal, and he'll add a presence to the team that our team has lacked for over a decade. He'll give our skilled guys more time and space to play their game, without having to worry about head hunters, and he'll also take a huge burden off the shoulders of Komisarek when rodents like Lucic try to engage with him. The contract he got was exactly what you'd expect for a player like him, as there's not many like him around in the league. A 3 year deal is nothing, it's not like he's chris chelios old. Would you rather you have us scrummage through the bargain bins on an annual basis to get the Downey's, Morrissettes's and Odjick's of the world to fill Laraque's role with a quarter of the impact?

As for a minimal number of teams looking to sign Laraque? I can tell you for a fact that the Oilers offered Georges more money (2 years, but more money per year). 6th/7th pairing d-man versus 4th line enforcer that gets 10 minutes a game? Pretty similar, except like you said Laraque has earned the stripes to garner his contract...especially coming off his strong shows in the playoffs in 06' and 08'. O'Byrne hasn't even played a full NHL season. Laraque is a great leader from what's been shoved down our throats in Edmonton, and he's just a great person to be around that will keep the team up beat. Laraque is worth the money he got. If you want to be mad over a contract, i give you exhibit A: Mathieu Dandenault.

Old
07-16-2008, 05:18 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearney913 View Post
there's a reason why belle is now with his fourth team in the NHL since being drafted a few years ago and "enormous potential" has nothing to do with it .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
24morecupsthanyou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
there's a reason why belle is now with his fourth team in the NHL since being drafted a few years ago and "enormous potential" has nothing to do with it .
If Belle was trash he'd be stuck in the minors for the Blues as no other team would be willing to part with ANY assets to acquire him. The fact that he's been on 4 different teams, shows that some GM's are still enamored with his untapped potential.

Old
07-16-2008, 06:10 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
If Belle was trash he'd be stuck in the minors for the Blues as no other team would be willing to part with ANY assets to acquire him. The fact that he's been on 4 different teams, shows that some GM's are still enamored with his untapped potential.
i never said he was trash and going by what you wrote then it could be said that three other G.M's are no longer enamoured with him and his untapped potential , i suspect gainey will be the fourth . hockey sense , which belle has very little of cannot be taught , either you have it or you don't . i think the best thing that could happen for belle is to be converted to the wing where he could use his size , strentgh and speed to his advantage and become a servicable fourth line energy forward .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 06:29 PM
GoodKiwi

3 years for $2,825,000.

Cap hit is around 941,000 per.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
3 years for $2,825,000.

Cap hit is around 941,000 per.
STEAL!

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:14 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
So he couldn't be like 14th forward? Or play fourth line minutes?
I don't think that's out of the question for him. He didn't get much of a shot the past two seasons with the Blues, except for injury call-ups. He played 33 games in 05-06 and faired well. As others have said, his skating won't allow him to play a big role with a team, but I think he'd be fine as a fourth liner who can provide occasional scoring.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote