HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Horcoff Signs 6 years/33M

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupdawk View Post
I'd spend summers in Michigan too, given the chance. Clear blue lakes with sandy beaches, great fishing, etc.

Edmonton's home, but Sylvan Lake is the best we can do around here, and it ain't all that great.
It's kinda funny though because I just saw this on the news earlier today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/us...WASHE_BRF.html

Hundreds of pounds of garbage has washed onto Lake Michigan shores in recent days, leading to an investigation by the Coast Guard and the temporary closing of a public beach. Trash was strewn along a 10-mile stretch in Mason and Manistee Counties in the northwestern Lower Peninsula. Piles up to eight inches high were reported at a beach in the city of Manistee. Garbage also washed onto private beaches in Holland, more than 100 miles south of Manistee. The trash in Mason and Manistee Counties included medical waste like prescription drug bottles and hypodermic syringes, the authorities said.

Old
07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I doubt even Horc's agent/wife/mother could say that with a straight face.
Umm Horcoff is a better defensive player, hands down.

Horcoff plays on the first PK unit, tough opposition 5x5 and works his ass off defensively, a Plus Minus doesn't indicate how awesome you are defensively, Dion Phaneuf was a Plus 12, does that make him a defensive stud?

Horcoff is a better defensive player. End of story.

Old
07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
alphahelix

this is definitely a discount.. not a major one but a discount nonetheless.. people who thought he could be had for under 5 were in la la land.. on the open market he would be around 6

Old
07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
coolwasabi

Great signing Lowe!

I really like Horcoff. We've seen him climb the organizational ladder all the way up to being a legit #1 center. He'll never reach elite, but he's a very good, very well-rounded, and very intelligent player.

$5.5M is a fair price. More important than the price, I just like him as an Oiler. In this capped world, I think it's easy to think of players only in terms of how many points they get and how much $$ they make. But Horcoff is one of those guys that you just like seeing in Oiler blue. That's something that you can't really buy.

It's unfortunate that we couldn't hold onto Smyth (or, it's unfortunately that Smyth didn't want to stay...), but it's nice to see Lowe learning from his mistakes and lock Horcoff up longterm.

Old
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't mind it. I think it's a little too much for a little too long. Should have been one or the other, but not both. Like it should have only been 4 years if it had to be for 5.5, or it should have been 5 per if it needed to be 6 years.

But it's not like I'm ticked about it either. The deal could be a steal if he keeps up what he was doing last season, and with his work ethic and grit I don't see why he wouldn't....if not improve further!

He'll be the captain when Moreau moves on, he'll still be a great 2nd line centre if Gagner gets to be that good that soon, and he's great in all area's on the ice. Just getting a guy like this locked down is the main key so I won't complain about the terms.....too much

Old
07-16-2008, 07:50 PM
OILFAN #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11
You guys might laugh at me for saying this, but I think that Shawn Horcoff is just as good as Jarome Iginla as an overall player:

Horcoff>Iginla Defensively

Iginla>Horcoff Offensively

He is the Jarome Iginla of the Edmonton Oilers, I find them so Lateral towards each other, the heart and souls of the Battle of Alberta.
For real? I think almost all Oiler fans love Shawn Horcoff and are glad he is locked up for the next 7 years as an Edmonton Oiler but he's nowhere near as good as Jarome Iginla. Iginla is a superstar in the league and one of the top 5 forwards in the game. Horcoff is a good player, but nowhere near Iginla.

Old
07-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
For real? I think almost all Oiler fans love Shawn Horcoff and are glad he is locked up for the next 7 years an Edmonton Oiler but he's nowhere near as good as Jarome Iginla. Iginla is a superstar in the league and one of the top 5 forwards in the game. Horcoff is a good player, but nowhere near Iginla.
He is better defensively then Iginla, Iginla is better Offensively.

And what the hell is it about Iggy being a Top 5 forward, he hasn't even hit 100 points yet.

Guys that have hit 100 P since the lockout:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Thornton
Heatley
Alfredsson
Jagr
Staal
Lecavlier
St. Louis
Hossa
Sakic

Those are already 11 spots filled, so how is he a Top 5 player?

Is everyone forgetting that Lubomir Visnovsky is the third highest scoring Defenseman since the lockout, why the hell is he so underrated from fans of other teams?

Old
07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
I don't mind it. I think it's a little too much for a little too long. Should have been one or the other, but not both. Like it should have only been 4 years if it had to be for 5.5, or it should have been 5 per if it needed to be 6 years.

But it's not like I'm ticked about it either. The deal could be a steal if he keeps up what he was doing last season, and with his work ethic and grit I don't see why he wouldn't....if not improve further!

He'll be the captain when Moreau moves on, he'll still be a great 2nd line centre if Gagner gets to be that good that soon, and he's great in all area's on the ice. Just getting a guy like this locked down is the main key so I won't complain about the terms.....too much
The amount is okay...the term in just too long and you have to hope the Oiler's medical staff has done a more thorough examination of his shoulder than they did with Souray.

If the shoulder injury is chronic, as they sometimes are, there is cause for concern.

Old
07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Not a steal, not a crappy deal. Glad to see him extended, would have liked it at 5 million, but am okay with paying an extra 500K for the total, preemptive destruction of an entire fall's, and possibly season, worth of rumours and stories that he was about to be dealt at any moment.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:00 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post

And what the hell is it about Iggy being a Top 5 forward, he hasn't even hit 100 points yet.

Guys that have hit 100 P since the lockout:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Thornton
Heatley
Alfredsson
Jagr
Staal
Lecavlier
St. Louis
Hossa
Sakic

Those are already 11 spots filled, so how is he a Top 5 player?

Is everyone forgetting that Lubomir Visnovsky is the third highest scoring Defenseman since the lockout, why the hell is he so underrated from fans of other teams?
With the exception of Thornton and Sakic who are likely HOF candidates, what do the others on your list have in common?

They play in the Eastern Conference. How do you think Iginla would do if he was fed a steady diet of the SE division?

Old
07-16-2008, 08:00 PM
oiler4ever

Good job Klo and Olczyk. Horcoff is great leader and he will lure Hossa to be here by tradeline or next year.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
The amount is okay...the term in just too long and you have to hope the Oiler's medical staff has done a more thorough examination of his shoulder than they did with Souray.

If the shoulder injury is chronic, as they sometimes are, there is cause for concern.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Trav

He's good but...

way to long of a contract and way to much money. 5 milion for a guy who only score like 21-22 goals last year and was also injured for quite a few games, saleries nowadays are just insane.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
I do not know if Horcoff is better defensively than Iginla, because Iginla has never been required to play such a role. Most often, he is meant to play in an outscore, instead of a holding pattern role. It is very possible, that like a Steve Yzerman, as his other skills diminish, his defensive role will be seen to blossom.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwasabi View Post
Great signing Lowe!

I really like Horcoff. We've seen him climb the organizational ladder all the way up to being a legit #1 center. He'll never reach elite, but he's a very good, very well-rounded, and very intelligent player.

$5.5M is a fair price. More important than the price, I just like him as an Oiler. In this capped world, I think it's easy to think of players only in terms of how many points they get and how much $$ they make. But Horcoff is one of those guys that you just like seeing in Oiler blue. That's something that you can't really buy.

It's unfortunate that we couldn't hold onto Smyth (or, it's unfortunately that Smyth didn't want to stay...), but it's nice to see Lowe learning from his mistakes and lock Horcoff up longterm.
You know not to open up this can of worms again, but I really believe that if there was no Don Meehan involved they would have easily struck a deal. Just my opinion though.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
With the exception of Thornton and Sakic who are likely HOF candidates, what do the others on your list have in common?

They play in the Eastern Conference. How do you think Iginla would do if he was fed a steady diet of the SE division?
How good do you think that Ales Hemsky could be playing in the SE division? Answer me that and I will answer your question.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:

If the injury is chronic, the Oilers could simply put him on the LTIR and his cap hit would disappear.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler4ever View Post
Good job Klo and Olczyk. Horcoff is great leader and he will lure Hossa to be here by tradeline or next year.
Unless the cap goes up significantly, there won't be room for Hossa.

I estimate the Oilers now have $42 million committed for 09/10 and need to give Cole, Brodziak, Grebs, and Smid raises and sign 2 goaltenders.

Gagner and Cogliano will be due big raises the following year.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:

I personally think that Horcoff is a comparable to Rod "the bod" Brind'Amour in so many ways (now including contract). Every year he destroys every other Oiler in the fitness testing. Injuries are the nature of the game, Brind'Amour gets injured too. But he keeps himself in ridiculous shape, as does Horcoff, and with todays doctors, its more about the player's dedication to rehab rather than questioning the surgery (sports medicine has evolved immensely). With a guy like Horc, that shouldn't be a problem. Awesome signing

Old
07-16-2008, 08:10 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Great to see him locked up. Probably a bit more money than I would've preferred, but not by much. He'll be getting an average of 5.5m a season, which I think is probably 0.5m too much, but not a huge problem. I'm a pretty big fan of Horcs, and he's really come along in the last few years--I just hope his shoulder is back to 100% and doesn't cause any problems in the future.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Copperhead

How good would Iginla be playing with Hemsky? That's the real question if you want to compare Horcoff and Iginla. Although I'd agree Horc is better defensively, he doesn't dominate a game like Iginla can.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Unless the cap goes up significantly, there won't be room for Hossa.

I estimate the Oilers now have $42 million committed for 09/10 and need to give Cole, Brodziak, Grebs, and Smid raises and sign 2 goaltenders.

Gagner and Cogliano will be due big raises the following year.
Just my opinion but I don't see both of Penner and Cole being here.

I don't see how they were planning to sign Hossa this year but obviously they had and have a plan.

Old
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
D B

Anyone heard if there's a NMC/NTC in this contract?

Old
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

horcs is in amazing shape. i'm more concerned about souray

Old
07-16-2008, 08:17 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I personally think that Horcoff is a comparable to Rod "the bod" Brind'Amour in so many ways (now including contract). Every year he destroys every other Oiler in the fitness testing. Injuries are the nature of the game, Brind'Amour gets injured too. But he keeps himself in ridiculous shape, as does Horcoff, and with todays doctors, its more about the player's dedication to rehab rather than questioning the surgery (sports medicine has evolved immensely). With a guy like Horc, that shouldn't be a problem. Awesome signing
The only way to know if Horcoff is another BrindAmour is to see if it happens.

It's possible but to project it when he's coming off a serious injury is a little premature.

Closed Thread