HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

An "Original Jackets" question

Old
07-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
An "Original Jackets" question

I wasn't paying attention in the early years, so please pardon me if this is an absurdly naive question, but I figure I should ask...

One of the "storylines" of the past year has been that we'd lost our "two remaining Original Blue Jackets" in Shelley and Vyborny. Judging by this, I had kind of naively assumed that this meant that despite his reputation for rushing folks, MacLean hadn't thrown Rusty Klesla onto the roster immediately after drafting him - and never bothered to double-check that 'cause I never had reason to.

Well, I was browsing around hockey rosters of the past just for something to kill time, and discovered to my (embarrasing) surprise that Rusty was not only on the roster, but he played more games than Shelley did. Given this, why is it that you never hear Rusty's name whenever the subject of "original Blue Jackets" comes up? (heck, it even shows that in Wikipedia...)

Just curious if this is an oversight on the part of the world, or if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:40 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

I've always considered Rusty an "original Jacket". More so than Shelley. So....I don't know.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:40 PM
CBJSlash

Klesla is more an original Jacket than Shelley IMO.

He got his 9 game tryout and was sent back to junior (some would say he took his offense with him )

Shelley was a midseason callup.

Vyborny was on the roster opening night and played the entire year. Scratched the first 3 of year 2 and then we got the Vybes we all knew and loved.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:42 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I wasn't paying attention in the early years, so please pardon me if this is an absurdly naive question, but I figure I should ask...

One of the "storylines" of the past year has been that we'd lost our "two remaining Original Blue Jackets" in Shelley and Vyborny. Judging by this, I had kind of naively assumed that this meant that despite his reputation for rushing folks, MacLean hadn't thrown Rusty Klesla onto the roster immediately after drafting him - and never bothered to double-check that 'cause I never had reason to.

Well, I was browsing around hockey rosters of the past just for something to kill time, and discovered to my (embarrasing) surprise that Rusty was not only on the roster, but he played more games than Shelley did. Given this, why is it that you never hear Rusty's name whenever the subject of "original Blue Jackets" comes up? (heck, it even shows that in Wikipedia...)

Just curious if this is an oversight on the part of the world, or if I'm missing something obvious.
Rusty was sent back to Brampton (where he played Junior) after playing, I'm wanting to say, about 20 games or so. To answer your question, It makes no sense to me either.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
CapnCornelius

My guess is Rusty won't be around much past this year, so soon enough the point will be moot.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:48 PM
CBJwheel

I thought the "two remaining original Jackets" were Vyborny and Klesla...

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjwheel View Post
I thought the "two remaining original Jackets" were Vyborny and Klesla...
Yeah, and I've frequently heard them discussed as such. Can't say I've heard the same of Shelley, really.

You know what this is? Proof of parallel universes.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
TPS 61*

Send a message via AIM to TPS 61*
Can we get a line of Boll Torres Wright Commodore Tyutin to go please

I remember most of the guys on opening night, year 1.. It's weird liking the same team. No one is left except Klesla. I guess it's all about the name.. Go Jackets

TPS 61* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

There are many others that will know this better than me

but I believe Jody Shelly wasn't on the original Jackets lineup. He played down in Syracuse in the first few years. We had Oliwa as our pugilist in year 2 I believe. Kicked him off the team because he got in a fight with Lyle Odelein. Those were the days my friend.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Yeah, and I've frequently heard them discussed as such. Can't say I've heard the same of Shelley, really.

This may also be the final clinching proof I need to demonstrate to myself that I actually *am* an alien from another dimension. Which would probably suck, because then I'd have to take on all sorts of "ambassador" responsibilities or something.

Greetings, Earth Humans! We come in peace. We ask merely for your chocolate milk and your Stanley Cup rings.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
but I believe Jody Shelly wasn't on the original Jackets lineup. He played down in Syracuse in the first few years. We had Oliwa as our pugilist in year 2 I believe. Kicked him off the team because he got in a fight with Lyle Odelein. Those were the days my friend.
He had a glorious one-game appearance in our inaugural season. He basically got kicked out of the game for getting into a lot of ****. (It might have just been a lengthy penalty, but I vividly remember him leaving the ice. He might have even high-fived some people as he left.)

Edit: But no, he wasn't on the opening night lineup.

Old
07-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Renion

Quote:
This may also be the final clinching proof I need to demonstrate to myself that I actually *am* an alien from another dimension. Which would probably suck, because then I'd have to take on all sorts of "ambassador" responsibilities or something.

Greetings, Earth Humans! We come in peace. We ask merely for your chocolate milk and your Stanley Cup rings.
Dude, I love chocolate milk. Stay away!

Old
07-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Palinka

Quote:

I can represent Earth as an ambassador. My trusty sidekicks Mr. Remingtons, Messrs. Smith and Wesson, Messrs. Heckler and Koch, and Mr. Glock will act as my security force.

(That would probably make me the most heavily armed diplomat to ever live).

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
HockeyMan9

Quote:
He had a glorious one-game appearance in our inaugural season. He basically got kicked out of the game for getting into a lot of ****. (It might have just been a lengthy penalty, but I vividly remember him leaving the ice. He might have even high-fived some people as he left.)

Edit: But no, he wasn't on the opening night lineup.

He was called up against Pittsburgh because we had traded Oliwa there after he and Odeline got into it. Shelley was kicked out for getting in three fights in that one game.

HockeyMan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
There's still some "Career" Jackets to hang on to.

When we run out of them...that's when it's going to start to feel like cheering for laundry.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:25 PM
blahblah

Quote:

Beyond speculation that Klesla is one of our more tradeable assets, I haven't heard or seen anything to think that Klesla would be on the way out.

I don't think our moves, this year, have pushed him out. He should still remain fairly afordable.

I think they'll look to move OKT long before Klesla, unless they have to package him for a trade.

At this point, I'm not sure why anyone would think it was a given he would be gone anytime soon.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

H&H don't like no stinking pretty boys, so he's got to go.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Beyond speculation that Klesla is one of our more tradeable assets, I haven't heard or seen anything to think that Klesla would be on the way out.

I don't think our moves, this year, have pushed him out. He should still remain fairly afordable.

I think they'll look to move OKT long before Klesla, unless they have to package him for a trade.

At this point, I'm not sure why anyone would think it was a given he would be gone anytime soon.
Agreed, if Howson wanted him off the team he would have been moved weeks ago.

As for his "original" legacy being overlooked; it's probably related to unfamiliarity or confusion of some nature with the 10 game NHL limit for jr. players.

btw, he played 8 games not 9 prior to being sent back to the Brampton Battalion

Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

Did you quote me for a reason? My brain isn't making the connection.

Old
07-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Usually, I'm all over questioning your brain and it's synaptic functioning - but not this time.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 06:42 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Who knows.. The thread had me thinking and I was tired. I probably misread it or something.

Quote:
Usually, I'm all over questioning your brain and it's synaptic functioning - but not this time.
High quality post, thanks for playing.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:54 AM
cbjfan4life

Klesla is the last player who played on the team the first season......Shelley was a callup for the Pittsburgh game after we traded Oliwa to the Pens because he got into a fight with Odelin (sp?) on the loading docks of the arena

cbjfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Never heard Shelley referred to as an Original Blue Jacket.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Pucknacious

I always thought of the expansion draftees as the "original" Jackets, along with that summer's signings and tradees (Odelein, Denis).

Pucknacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Pucknacious

Kinda OT, but I didn't see it mentioned here and it would seem to fit this thread as well as anyplace else ... nice to see Jody Shelley signed (two years, I believe) by the Sharks. He deserves to get his time in and earn that NHLPA pension.

Well deserved, and congratulations to a team-first guy.

Pucknacious is offline   Reply With Quote