HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Perfect Pregame Meal?

Old
07-16-2008, 08:53 PM
hipcheck

vCash: 500
The Perfect Pregame Meal?

What do you guys consider the perfect pregame meal?

I'm border-line OCD about my pregame prep. At nearly 40 years old, playing in an over 30 Men's League (we also cross over and play The highly competetive B division). I take my preparation extremely serious.

I'm not a Type-A personality at all in my everyday life, but when it comes to hockey at this stage of the game, I'm looking for every edge and advantage I can possibly get.

I'm definitely still experimenting, but right now this is my pregame meal routine:

-Meal must be eaten 6 hrs. prior to game time (no matter what, no exceptions). Any earlier than that and I'm feeling weak and starving before the game, any later than that and I feel old & very sluggish.

-Meal is approximately 75-80% Carbs. I've been changing up between Pasta, Rice, Potatos, Various Fruits & Veggies, ... with basically grilled or baked (white meat) chicken. I also drink a ton of water (as much as I can tolerate).

-Starting at 2 hrs before the game I drink about 3 cups of coffee leading up to the game, and up the water intake even more.

Do ya'll have any comments or suggestions?

THANKS!!!

hipcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Catamo
NHL2com League

6 hours seems like a long time to be eating prior. But if thats what works for you then fair enough.

I dont think Coffee is necessary.

Catamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Depends. Roller hockey? Doesn't matter.

Ice? A good steak is good before any game.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:04 PM
94now

Progresso soup. Any variety. Or Campbell. No less then 2 hrs prior to the game time.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

3 cups of coffee? Jeez.

I remember seeing a video of Hendrik Lundquvist drinking a mix of water, redbull, and gatorade. No, not mixed together. But he had all 3 sitting on the bench and was taking sips of each while getting dressed.

Intresting idea tho...

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
My brother swore by pasta and corn syrup when he wa racing/competing.

He still does when he plays lacrosse.

07-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
3 cups of coffee? Jeez.

I remember seeing a video of Hendrik Lundquvist drinking a mix of water, redbull, and gatorade. No, not mixed together. But he had all 3 sitting on the bench and was taking sips of each while getting dressed.

Intresting idea tho...
That would make me have to pee in like 15 minutes

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:06 PM
MikeD

Pre-game meals will top off your energy reserves but its not ideal to try and build your game energy hours before a game. Steak as part of a pre-game meal? Any energy derived from that steak will be 10-12 hours away from the time its eaten. It takes the body that long to process and its content is not ideal.

Fast carbs are ideal for those times under 3 hours prior to game time. Slow carbs for when time is more abundant. As a guide you can check the food items the glycemic index. Ideally you want a higher index value but not something so much that it triggers insulin production. In the old days...going back into the early Sixties, two tablespoons of honey were used about 10 minutes prior to an event. This will RAPID energy yet not cause insulin production to reduce elevated blood sugar. Todays modern counterpart would be the Runners Carb gels available but some also contain other ingredients. As a goalie I still eat 2 tablespoons of honey just prior to game time and will eat another 2 at the end of the second period, just for good measure.

A great article to fill you in on the what, why and whens:

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:17 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

The coffee is definitely not a good thing to have a lot of before a game, especially 2 hours before.

Water intake is the key, when I started downing water on game days I noticed i had more energy during the game. Usually I stop the water 90 min before the game, if I dont I have to go to the b-room during the game and sitting the bench having to take a leak isn't a good thing.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Alexistheman

I know for me, I dont eat at all before Rugby or Football games, I only eat breakfast and water. I think that works the best for me, I dont even drink energy drinks, just dont jerk off/have sex and you'll be rearing to go.

Alexistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:39 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

Coffee makes me crash by the first intermission. I just take swigs of gatorade a few hours up until gametime. And I eat a lot of chicken, prepared in all different ways. I don't know if it's good for you, I just really like chicken.

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
nexusrage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical Canuck View Post
I know for me, I dont eat at all before Rugby or Football games, I only eat breakfast and water. I think that works the best for me, I dont even drink energy drinks, just dont jerk off/have sex and you'll be rearing to go.
Might as well just cut my friggin hand off then!

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Comparison Ford
i got a star

wayne gretzky's urine.

Comparison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:08 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical Canuck View Post
http://www.spike.com/video/manswers-season-1-no/2941356

On that note, I mentioned in another thread here where one of my best played games ever, I had sex the night before with my girlfriend. I think a lot of it just comes down to hockey players being incredibly superstitious and trying to break down the reasons for a good/bad game.

Back on topic, as for a meal before the game, it depends on your metabolism. I figure there's no reason to "stack" up, just eat a meal that's comfortable with a good amount of carbs and protein. 6 hours may be a bit early, as I'd be concerned the food will already be working its way through your system by that point, and may not benefit your game. I'd agree with the suggestions of 2 hours early. As for coffee and water, you're basically dehydrating yourself. Caffeine is a diuretic, and excess water is also a diuretic too. Basically unless you hold it, you'll end up peeing out all that water. Personally, I pound water a half hour before a game and hold it. Either that or I pee as soon as I get to the rink (25 minutes prior) then pound a bunch of water. It's actually good, because as far as I know if your body can't find water, it will start finding other water, like some from your bladder. Usually by the end of the game I don't have to pee at all, so I guess it uses up access water.

But then again to each's own. If the routine works and it isn't hurting your game, stick with it.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 07-17-2008 at 08:16 PM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:54 PM
rye&ginger

Meal high in carbs, low in fat, some protein 2-3 hours before. Lots of water also. Bit of cafeine is good but 3 cups of joe is maybe a bit much, it will force the water out of you and that can casuse worse muscle performance

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Mxpunk

In college, I never ate a full meal within 4 hours of a game. About 2-3 hours before the game, I would eat a small bag of chips for a little energy.

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:57 PM
deanosaur

Pasta 4-5 hours before.
Come game time I would eat a mars bar for good luck too.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:05 PM
SabFanInOtt

Last night I posted my first ever shutout after eating a greasy cheeseburger from DQ so I'll stick with that (Played pick-up for three years in nets and just started in a league now so it's all still new to me.)

SabFanInOtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Pasta,pasta and more pasta...Nothing to acidic unless you want serious heartburn. I made that mistake and had 2 glasses of OJ and it was not good.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Pasta 4-5 hours before.
Come game time I would eat a mars bar for good luck too.
Now there's a sugar crash waiting to happen.

Honey is the best if you want to keep a stable sugar level because it digests slower.

When I was racing and you would race 8 races not including the War Canoe in a day and then have semis and finals the next day, we used to have a bagel for breakfast, pasta salad for lunch and gatorade and honey all day long.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:30 PM
ShowmeHawks

My old routine: 3 beef and cheedars from Arbys.

My semi-new routine: I nice plate of pasta with red sauce and a piece of chicken.

I'm still deciding which I play better after.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:58 PM
MikeD

The fat content in your arby's or DQ burger is reducing the flow of nutrients and oxygen to your muscle cells as well as reducing the rate at which your body can remove the waste products created from your play. The fatty content slows capillary action...reducing performance.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:06 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Now there's a sugar crash waiting to happen.

Honey is the best if you want to keep a stable sugar level because it digests slower.

When I was racing and you would race 8 races not including the War Canoe in a day and then have semis and finals the next day, we used to have a bagel for breakfast, pasta salad for lunch and gatorade and honey all day long.
With the pasta, it's actually a suprisingly good mix for me. I get the rush but I don't that sudden drop, the pasta energy kicks in after and I'm good for the game.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
I usually have a salad with a small amount of chicken and some pasta rolled in.

Also have a red bull before warm up, and before the game

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:26 AM
SpokaneChiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowmeHawks View Post

nice plate of pasta with red sauce and a piece of chicken.

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote