HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks/Devils Talk Heats up...Canucks also looking at Vermette?

Old
07-17-2008, 10:13 AM
MKennedy

vCash: 500
Canucks/Devils Talk Heats up...Canucks also looking at Vermette?

Well for my very first post I thought I would talk about the Devils/Canucks rumors. Gionta is in the Canucks sights and I know they would like to land him, but at what cost? I wouldn't want to give up Bieksa so I was thinking a Kraijcek + 2nd rounder? Do you think the Devils would even consider this or are they looking for a proven D man?

From EK.

"As many of you know, I rarely report Devils rumours. Quite simply, the Devils are a vault, through and through, and Lou doesn't let ANYONE know what's going on. ANYONE...However, this rumour will NOT go away. The Canucks appear to have huge interest in Gionta, and for good reason he is a great fit. However, this deal, like so many before them this past three weeks looks to be held back by the Sundin Saga...The Devils of course are hot after a D-man for Gionta."

Also, Vermette seems to be unhappy with Murray in Ottawa and is looking for a long term deal that doesn't seem to want to get done in Ottawa. The Canucks are in talks with the Sens about moving Kesler for Vermette. I for one would be against this. I think Kesler has the potential to be a 25+ goal scorer next year and I don't think right now is the time to lose him.

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Yeah, I agree that giving up Kesler right now for Vermette is probably not a good idea. I think Kesler could be a big piece for the Canucks and I would not be too eager to let him go.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
The Devils have been linked to the Canucks in a forward/dman swap for over a year now.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:20 AM
MKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
Yeah, I agree that giving up Kesler right now for Vermette is probably not a good idea. I think Kesler could be a big piece for the Canucks and I would not be too eager to let him go.
and considering the way he played with Burrows last year. To me I think they were our top line for a good chunk of the season. I wouldn't split that chemistry up after seeing what the two were capable of. They could also get some time with Hordichuk and just piss the hell out of other teams.

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
BloatedGuppy

A Canucks/Devils Rumor.

Must be a day that ends in Y.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
TOML

The Gionta for a d-man rumour makes me want to get my pillow...

ZzZzZzZzZzzZzzzz...

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKennedy View Post
Well for my very first post I thought I would talk about the Devils/Canucks rumors. Gionta is in the Canucks sights and I know they would like to land him, but at what cost? I wouldn't want to give up Bieksa so I was thinking a Kraijcek + 2nd rounder? Do you think the Devils would even consider this or are they looking for a proven D man?

From EK.

"As many of you know, I rarely report Devils rumours. Quite simply, the Devils are a vault, through and through, and Lou doesn't let ANYONE know what's going on. ANYONE...However, this rumour will NOT go away. The Canucks appear to have huge interest in Gionta, and for good reason he is a great fit. However, this deal, like so many before them this past three weeks looks to be held back by the Sundin Saga...The Devils of course are hot after a D-man for Gionta."

Also, Vermette seems to be unhappy with Murray in Ottawa and is looking for a long term deal that doesn't seem to want to get done in Ottawa. The Canucks are in talks with the Sens about moving Kesler for Vermette. I for one would be against this. I think Kesler has the potential to be a 25+ goal scorer next year and I don't think right now is the time to lose him.
I don't think that gets it done for Gionta. Other teams could probably give them a better offer then that for Gionta.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Big#D

Quote:
Devils would be looking for a proven top-4 D man. They have evough prospect / young guys to fill the bottom pairing.

As a Devils fan, the Kraijcek + 2nd for Gionta would be the equivalent of Mitchell + a 2nd for Gionta to Canucks fans.

Big#D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Northern Neighbour

I think it will take at least Bieksa and maybe a pick to land Gionta. Such a deal would help both teams, in particular Vancouver.

Not only would Vancouver get a top-6 forward, but the contracts of Bieksa and Gionta are nearly identical (about $500K difference). As such, the Canucks would still have significant cap space to make another deal or at least be in contention to offer Sundin to a big contract.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
I wish these Gionta rumors would go away.

If he's the top six guy we bring in then we're not doing much to improve the identity of our top six. He could be effective on Sundin's wing but with Vermette or Demitra at center he looks pretty shrimpy.

Karl Hungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Will they just make the Bieska/Gionta trade? We've known that it's going to happen for at least a year and a half now.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Moot point really. Why would the Sens even want Kesler when they already have players that can play that spot? They'll likely want a defenseman or 2nd line center in a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I think it will take at least Bieksa and maybe a pick to land Gionta. Such a deal would help both teams, in particular Vancouver.
Could probably get Knuble for a pick. Knuble + Bieksa > Gionta. This is from a Canucks' POV.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Kid_Roll

I hate the Gionta-Vancouver trade rumblings from Eklund. God forbid it should ever happen, he'll plan an event around it and talk about how he called it for years. Then brag about how popular his site is in Canada.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

Not only would Vancouver get a top-6 forward, but the contracts of Bieksa and Gionta are nearly identical (about $500K difference). As such, the Canucks would still have significant cap space to make another deal or at least be in contention to offer Sundin to a big contract.
as a canuck fan I'd have zero interest in such a trade.

Bieksa's value is really being underrated right now after a season lost due to a major injury... and it's an injury that isn't recurring or has any effect on him physically or mentally longterm.... he even looked like the Bieksa of old in his last few games, when he finally got his timing back.

And that Bieksa is MUCH more valuable than Gionta, especially with just one year left on his contract!

Bieksa has 3 more years... in a market where guys like Finger get $3.5mill, Bieksa is a steal at $3.75mill/yr locked up for 3 more years.

And he's a season removed from being the canucks top offensive dman, top PP point-man (with 12 goals and 42 pts), top PK dman, and top shutdown dman.

How do you replace a guy like that?? Especially on a team that is lacking in physical presence and have stressed since new management got on board that adding physical presence and making this team tougher to play against is the #1 priority.

On a defense that has Ohlund, Salo, Edler and Krajicek making up 4 of the 6 players (Mitchell and Bieksa being the other), you can't move the most intimidating guy on the defense, and maybe on the team overall, when you already have a lack of physical presence overall.

And then Gionta... again going back to adding more grit and toughness, which Gillis has stressed about non-stop since he got to Vancouver, in a top 6 that currently has only 1 body that brings any kind of physical presence (Bernier), with the Sedins, Raymond and Demitra filling the rest of the spots - how does adding Gionta make this team any "tougher"??

Gionta is a player you can take a chance on because of his offensive upside... but he is certainly not an ideal fit for the canucks IMO, considering their current holes and their current assets (with the Sedins, Raymond and Demitra, grit is more necessary in the top 6 than offense IMO).... for a player that is not an ideal fit, it makes zero sense to move an asset which is an ideal fit, and someone who encompasses everything that Gillis is saying he wants to build in Vancouver.

I wouldn't touch a Gionta (on 1yr contract) for Bieksa (with 3 yrs left) at all.... this is just not a good fit for the canucks IMO.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

NO to kesler for Vermette (damn Kevin Lee)
NO to Bieksa for Gionta

Just doesn't make sense in Gillis vision of things.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
devsfan8

Quote:

Gionta and Vishnevski for Bieksa and a 3rd would be fine by me.

devsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Man, Eklund is STILL reporting this rumour. Did he just dig up the posts from the last off-season? No to Bieksa for Gionta. Contracts don't work for us.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:47 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Man, Eklund is STILL reporting this rumour. Did he just dig up the posts from the last off-season? No to Bieksa for Gionta. Contracts don't work for us.
Yep. and in one of his recent posts it was "the canucks have been interested in Gionta for a long, long time..." Someone must have forgotten to tell him it doesn't much matter what the canucks were interested in with Nonis at the helm.

If it isn't Gionta, it's Elias. It's getting really funny seeing as at least one of those guys should have been a canuck last summer according to Eklund.

He's throwing stuff to see what sticks...in particular he's throwing stuff concerning teams with large fan bases like the canadian teams.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Mizral

I have to agree with NFITO, I like Gionta but I value Bieksa more than him. If he can come back and score 40+ he can prove me wrong, but IMO Bieksa is the Canucks #2 defenseman right now and part of one of the better D-pairings out West, don't see why you'd break that up. Especially when Sundin is still hanging out there and can be gotten while keeping Bieksa.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Sorry, it's Bieksa or nothing. Kraijeck is a decent defenseman, but Bieksa brings us what we need more I feel.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Sorry, it's Bieksa or nothing. Kraijeck is a decent defenseman, but Bieksa brings us what we need more I feel.
then nothing it is

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:57 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Deal!!

It's nothing I guess..... I like what the canucks get out of this

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster81 View Post
then nothing it is
Fine by us. We'll keep Gionta and make a push for the Cup, enjoy 4th place in the NW Division

Only joking, but really, if you're happy keeping Bieksa, I'm happy keeping Gio.

Old
Devs4L

Gionta's value is also being under-rated right now because of not hitting that 48 goal mark again, despite still putting together extremely solid years playing with Madden, Zajac, and about only half a season of Gomez the past 2 years.

In terms of grit, Gionta has more in his pinky than any of the sedins, raymond, and demitra. The guy is absolutely fearless. His size is so over-rated on these forums.

Vancouver is prepared to give Sundin 20mil over 2 years. While I think this deal would largely hinge on his signing, I don't think Canucks fans should over-look how desperate Vancouver appears to be for scoring. Is the value slightly thrown off by Bieksa's contract. Yes. However that can be made up for by a pick and a prospect on New Jersey's side.

With a defense that would still have Salo, Ohlund, Edler, Mitchell, Krajicek, I think addressing an offense that needed to improve but may have taken a step backwards since July 1 makes a Bieksa for Gionta trade more possible than Vancouver fans think.

Devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Deal!!

It's nothing I guess..... I like what the canucks get out of this
Keep playing for Tavares this year