HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ponikarovsky or Antropov?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2004, 01:48 PM
  #1
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Ponikarovsky or Antropov?

Been thinking... who would you keep if it came to making a deal.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 01:49 PM
  #2
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Been thinking... who would you keep if it came to making a deal.
I would say Ponikarovsky.

Savage is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 01:52 PM
  #3
loveshack2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old School
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
No question Antropov.

loveshack2 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 02:11 PM
  #4
Prongs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
I dont think either of them will develop into anything big, but I rather have Poni at least he doesnt get injured

Prongs is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 02:26 PM
  #5
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs
I dont think either of them will develop into anything big, but I rather have Poni at least he doesnt get injured
I disagree. I think Ponikarovsky will easily develop into a consistant 20 goal scorer with a good two way game.

Savage is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 02:29 PM
  #6
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,259
vCash: 500
I'd say poni will be a solid third liner who scores 15-20 goals a year. But that said Antropov will get you more goals and many more assists in the future than poni if he can stay healthy. So i take Nik.

VanW27 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 02:31 PM
  #7
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Antropov is easily the more skilled player. The only reason why youd move him over Poni is because he'd get a better return.

Other than that, no comparison. Nik is, and always will be, the better talent.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 02:40 PM
  #8
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,683
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
nik

we know moee about his game andwhat he can do

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 02:48 PM
  #9
musdy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,454
vCash: 500
NIK ANTROPOV no question

musdy is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 03:01 PM
  #10
Mapleleaf1951
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Antropov I Would Keep>>>>

Mapleleaf1951 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 03:08 PM
  #11
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31,061
vCash: 500
Poni seems to have finally blossomed and he brings his gave every night...can't say the same for Nik.

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 03:17 PM
  #12
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.blue
Antropov is easily the more skilled player. The only reason why youd move him over Poni is because he'd get a better return.

Other than that, no comparison. Nik is, and always will be, the better talent.
What he said. Nik's got more value so if I "had" to move one, he's the goner.

Dar is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 03:23 PM
  #13
ClarkGilachuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
i don't think either one would be the same if the other was traded

ClarkGilachuk is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 03:33 PM
  #14
ATG
Registered User
 
ATG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Country:
Posts: 9,578
vCash: 500
Antropov

ATG is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 03:56 PM
  #15
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Antropov without even thinking twice, Antropov is a legitimate top 6 LW/C who is still young with room to improve a bit, albeit very injury prone.

Ponikarovsky is a year younger and hasn't accomplished nearly as much in his carrer. A good 2-way 4'th liner that should be a pretty good 3'rd liner in the future.


Antropov would bring in considerably more in trade value however, but if given a choice between the two I wouldn't hesitate in taking Antropov.

__________________
Welcome to Leafs Nation, leave your common sense at the door.
Rand is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 04:06 PM
  #16
nordique
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Antropov's ceiling is much, much higher.

 
Old
02-19-2004, 04:16 PM
  #17
BlueAndWhite
Registered User
 
BlueAndWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,160
vCash: 500
If you were just asking me as a GM of another team - "who would I rather have ?"

The answer is a resounding "ANTROPOV!"

Antropov potential is much greater than Ponikarovsky's.

In fact, as much heat as I might get for this - Antropov's potential is greater than or at the worst equal to (possibly, possibly Steen) any of the current Leaf young forwards/prospect. Of course, Antropov is also the most fragile one of the group - so that detracts a bit from his value as a player.

Of course, if you were talking about who it would make more sense to deal; then logically Antropov would comandeer more on the trade market, even if I were reluctant to trade him. However, I'm not really sure if Antropov's trade value is close to it's peak right now. Antropov of this season (so far) isn't going to get the same return as Antropov at the end of last year.

BlueAndWhite is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 04:18 PM
  #18
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,694
vCash: 500
:p I almost started this same thread this morning!

I figured a lot of people would be on the Poni bandwagon, but you've got to go with Nik no question about it.

Nik's got elite-level skills (aside from his skating). He's a phenomonal playmaker and uses his size extremely well. And an underrated defensive player as well.

Has anyone noticed how deadly Antropov's wristshot is? He should start using it more. Very hard and insanely accurate.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 04:19 PM
  #19
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Maybe it's just crazy ol' me then. I honestly feel a lot of you guys are going to be very surprised or disappointed with the way this thing turns out though

Savage is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 04:25 PM
  #20
BlueAndWhite
Registered User
 
BlueAndWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand

Ponikarovsky is a year younger and hasn't accomplished nearly as much in his carrer.
Actually, they are both roughly the same age. Nik was born just a month earlier or so.

BlueAndWhite is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 04:57 PM
  #21
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Maybe it's just crazy ol' me then. I honestly feel a lot of you guys are going to be very surprised or disappointed with the way this thing turns out though
Poni just doesn't have the natural talent/skill/vision, whatever you want to call it, that Nik has. And you cant teach that kind of stuff. Antropov is the better player.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:17 PM
  #22
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Antropov has more upside for sure, but I think his upside will never be reached because of his injury issues. He needs to play a physical game to leverage his physical assets; otherwise his development is stunted. But he keeps getting injured when he plays physical.

I do not think he will ever be a consistent performer. If I can dangle him for a very good D man then I do it - as long as the other team's GM still has stars in his eyes when he sees Nic. Then the Leafs get a good deal in return.

Keep Poni because he will not fetch as much as a star-crossed GM will pay for Nic.

wasting time is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:36 PM
  #23
MLSE
Registered User
 
MLSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,209
vCash: 500
Antropov seems to be injured alot.

So I say Poni

MLSE is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:59 PM
  #24
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
A surprisingly good question, given the clear superiority of Antropov's skill level.

On the other hand Poni has produced as much offense as Antropov this year and it is difficult to predict if he will continue to progress or whether or not we have already seen the best he can do. On the other hand Antropov also may or may not reach his potential, even if he stays healthy. On the other hand (yeah, that's three hands) Poni has a more consistent approach to the game and doesn't hang around the edges so much.

So my answer: Antrokirvosky.

Augustus is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:04 PM
  #25
loveshack2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old School
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled in Florida
So my answer: Antrokirvosky.
I knew it. No love for Ponipov.

loveshack2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.