HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Coaches proposing Opt-In Rule Change to NCAA

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Coaches proposing Opt-In Rule Change to NCAA

Former Boston Bruin and current Notre Dame head coach, Dave Poulin is spearheading the campaign to get the opt-in ruled changed for players eligible for the NHL Entry Draft.

This is a MUST read for anyone who follows NCAA Hockey and the NHL Draft. The Story details its impact and why several other NCAA head coaches, including Boston College's Jerry York are behind the idea and the benefits to the NHL both in the short-term and long run.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
So would this rule change basically nullify the stuff that Van Ryn & others have done by leaving the NCAA for juniors and becoming free agents?

Old
02-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
So would this rule change basically nullify the stuff that Van Ryn & others have done by leaving the NCAA for juniors and becoming free agents?
No. As I understand it, it would allow players who are eligible to opt into the NHL draft when they are eligible WITHOUT losing their college eligibility. The player could enter the draft when he is eligible rather than wait (if it's the case as the NCAA dictates) and could continue his collegiate career. This has nothing to do with leaving college to join the Canadian Junior ranks.

Old
02-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
No. As I understand it, it would allow players who are eligible to opt into the NHL draft when they are eligible WITHOUT losing their college eligibility. The player could enter the draft when he is eligible rather than wait (if it's the case as the NCAA dictates) and could continue his collegiate career. This has nothing to do with leaving college to join the Canadian Junior ranks.
Well if the NCAAs & the NHL were to agree to this, I'm sure the league would want assurances that the player wouldn't leave college for Canadian juniors just to become a free agent. It just seems to make sense that if the kids don't have to forgo their eligibility by opting in early then the teams shouldn't lose their rights either, even if they leave for juniors. I know the 2 rules don't seem related but it makes sense to me. They can satisfy both the players' needs & the teams' needs by instituting this with the caveat that the team keeps that player's rights as long as he would be in college (whether he graduates or not), thus closing that loop hole.

Old
02-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Hockeypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
Well if the NCAAs & the NHL were to agree to this, I'm sure the league would want assurances that the player wouldn't leave college for Canadian juniors just to become a free agent. It just seems to make sense that if the kids don't have to forgo their eligibility by opting in early then the teams shouldn't lose their rights either, even if they leave for juniors. I know the 2 rules don't seem related but it makes sense to me. They can satisfy both the players' needs & the teams' needs by instituting this with the caveat that the team keeps that player's rights as long as he would be in college (whether he graduates or not), thus closing that loop hole.
That's like comparing apples and oranges. The opt in rule is the NCAA's stupidity and the Van Ryn loophole is the NHL's stupidity. I agree that they're both problems,but there seperate entities

Old
02-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Schlep Rock

Word is... this ruling will come down within the month.

On that note it appears it will definitely be changed for 2005 but there is a chance it's not passed for this year.

I'll keep you updated.

Old
04-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Here's the list of players.....

Who will need to opt-in for the upcoming NHL Entry Draft (by position), please note that not all of these players are necessarily ranked by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau (CSB):

GOALTENDERS:
Steve Hartley, Miami-Ohio

DEFENSEMEN:
Steve Birnstill, Northeastern
Jeff Caron, Merrimack
Matt Cohen, Yale
Wes O'Neill, Notre Dame
Jonathan Sigalet, Bowling Green
A.J. Thelen, Michigan State

FORWARDS:
Sean Bentovoglio, Niagara
T.J. Hensick, Michigan
Adam Pineault, Boston College
Drew Stafford, North Dakota
Paul Szczechera, Western Michigan

Old
04-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Phil333

I know Matt Cohen (D, Yale). Does this mean he has to choose by May 1 to either go to the draft or stay in school? Does this only apply to the youngest players? Can someone explain why this only applies to a certain number of players. Is it after they stay in school they can be drafted/stay?? I'm confused.

-Phil

Old
04-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Polydorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
Can someone explain why this only applies to a certain number of players. Is it after they stay in school they can be drafted/stay?? I'm confused.

-Phil
IIRC the NHL rule is that anyone 19 or older can be drafted. Anyone 18 to 19 has to ask to be drafted (opt in). If you opt in you lose you NCAA eligiblity. If you are drafted after you are 19 you retain your NCAA eligibility.

Old
04-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Polydorus

Posted on USCHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Former Boston Bruin and current Notre Dame head coach, Dave Poulin is spearheading the campaign to get the opt-in ruled changed for players eligible for the NHL Entry Draft.
It's official----OPT-IN RULE CHANGED!!!

The NCAA has decided to allow current student-athletes to opt-in to this spring's NHL Entry Draft and retain their college eligibilty, Notre Dame head coach Dave Poulin told Inside College Hockey.

Poulin who has an opt-in prospect on his roster in defenseman Wes O'Neill spearheaded an effort to convince the NCAA to reverse its policy, which previously allowed future collegians to opt-in without jeopardizing their college eligibility, but not current collegians.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

How about that?! The NCAA bigwigs finally made a ruling that ACTUALLY makes sense.

Quick, someone catch me before I faint.

Old
12-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Schlep Rock

It will be interesting what happens for 2005. I haven't seen any inkling of news regarding a permanent change. Has anybody else?

Closed Thread