HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should you be alive for the Cups to obtain bragging rights?

Old
07-18-2008, 10:16 AM
spoon*

vCash: 500
Only team that has bragging rights in the NHL for winning a Cup is Detroit.

That's why I like to laugh at Habs fans because most of them are under 15-years of age on here.

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
swordfan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Looks like someone's trying to silence Leafs fans, lol
I've always found it annoying when 20 yr old Leaf fans brag about the Cup in '67.

swordfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
ya i usually find it pretty bizarre when kids born in the 90's are bragging about cups won in the 60's 70's or 80's
Least you don't have that problem in Vancouver

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfan23 View Post
I've always found it annoying when 20 yr old Leaf fans brag about the Cup in '67.
Especially seeing as how the Leafs have yet to even make it to the SCF since then.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:14 AM
MoonDragn

What if I've been alive longer than my team has been around but my team has already won 3 cups?

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Maximus Taylor

Ok. So I guess Penguins fans have to stop bragging about having Crosby on their teams because they just inherited him at the draft. Same for Ovechkin... it's ridiculous.

let fans be fans.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfan23 View Post
Nobody does that.

Although, you're in Buffalo where there is very little to brag about.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
Nobody does that.

If they're talking to a Sens fan they will.

Old
07-18-2008, 12:45 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
Nobody does that.

As far as I'm concerned, any Cup won prior to expansion is off the table. It was a 6 team league.

And by the way, how many times have the Leafs won 12 playoff games in a season?

(BTW, I can have this discussion and not get worked up about it )

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Clock

Quote:
Nobody does that.
Every time the Leafs come to HSBC I hear it at least three or four times.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre View Post
As far as I'm concerned, any Cup won prior to expansion is off the table. It was a 6 team league.

And by the way, how many times have the Leafs won 12 playoff games in a season?

(BTW, I can have this discussion and not get worked up about it )
I'm not going to get worked up about it. I've been a Leaf fan for about 12 years now. Anything before that is irrelevant to me.

And we had pretty good memories from 99-2004.

I should mention I was referring to Buffalo as a city and all of its franchises, not just in terms of the NHL team.

Last edited by Kessick: 07-18-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old
07-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
If they're talking to a Sens fan they will.
I'd like to know which posters said this. If it was a drunken Leaf fan taunting you, well, all fanbases have idiots. For the last 10 years I've been using message boards, I have never seen Leaf fans use their Cup wins in an argument, certainly not the way 24 Cups is flaunted around here. The only times the 13 cups were brought up have been in a discussion of the team's earlier history and success.

Old
07-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
In my opinion it should last 2 years max, and up to 5 years if you are a serious cup contender each year after winning it.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Caeldan

Quote:
I'd like to know which posters said this. If it was a drunken Leaf fan taunting you, well, all fanbases have idiots. For the last 10 years I've been using message boards, I have never seen Leaf fans use their Cup wins in an argument, certainly not the way 24 Cups is flaunted around here. The only times the 13 cups were brought up have been in a discussion of the team's earlier history and success.
It's not posters - it's basically every Leafs fan I know personally
I don't care... I mean, if you have to dig back that far to try to make your team seem better, you've already lost in my mind

But yeah, Montreal fans and their cup numbers are worse... and I will grant that they do have a habit of putting out some strong teams and winning on a fairly regular basis ... the total cup number is skewed cause of 6 teams and having your own personal draft pool to cherry pick from.

Old
07-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Africa.

Quote:
I don't care... I mean, if you have to dig back that far to try to make your team seem better, you've already lost in my mind

But yeah, Montreal fans and their cup numbers are worse... and I will grant that they do have a habit of putting out some strong teams and winning on a fairly regular basis ... the total cup number is skewed cause of 6 teams and having your own personal draft pool to cherry pick from.
It's been proven it really never helped them...they only used that rule on I think 2 players..Rejean Houle, and I don't remember who was the other one. And no, it wasn't Guy Lafleur.

Africa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Ten

I'd say you only have bragging rights until the next team wins it.

However, I think in certain times (especially when the other team has yet to win a cup), one can (and should) bring it up.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Alex87

I think that as long as the bragging or trash talking is good natured and all in good fun, then there is no limit. I think fans, regardless of age should always be proud of their team's accomplishments (except in the case of bandwagonners).

That being said, as an Oiler fan, I've seen a lot of braindead arguments going back and forth between Calgary and Edmonton fans (from BOTH sides). When opinions are presented as fact, when people brag just to get someone riled up, etc... then its stupid.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:15 PM
LaCarriere

Send a message via MSN to LaCarriere
bragging rights are exclusive to the players belonging to the team who won the cup -- and they expire the second the following season begins.

LaCarriere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Well said.

It's unfortunate that you are acquainted with such stupid Leaf fans. The ones I associate with are too smart to say crap like that (and aware of the mass potential for flaming), and I promise you there is a large number of Leaf fans who are not as insane as the ones you come across. This applies to the Habs fan base, I'm sure, as they aren't all wrapped up in the nostalgia of their cup victories.

Anyway, I think teams can have bragging rights for a year, unless a fan of a team that has had no success whatsoever starts taking pot shots at them. So for example if the I don't know... off the top of my head - if Thrashers fans wanted to make fun of the Hurricanes, they should be quiet.

Old
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Yes. For me, I don't care what your team did to my team before 1990. That means you, Flyer fans!

Another good question: should Yankee fans be smack-talking Red Sox fans with the typical "you sucked for 86 years" stuff if they've won 2 since the Yankees have won?

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Least you don't have that problem in Vancouver
Ba-zing!

I was only alive for 2 of the Habs cup wins, and I only remember 1993, so what good does it do me if I brag about Montreal's 24 cup wins but I'm only old enough to remember one? I don't really see the point. I do believe other fanbases should have some level of respect for what the Habs have done historically, but the whole "we have more cups than you" argument that some Habs fans bring up got old years ago.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:49 PM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCarriere View Post
bragging rights are exclusive to the players belonging to the team who won the cup -- and they expire the second the following season begins.
This.

I can not stand when fans act as if they accomplished something when their favourite team wins a Stanley Cup. Its pathetic really. Live it up but you didnt win a thing.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:14 PM
MoreOrr
B4

The five levels of bragging rights:

*. The team has won a Cup before, but it was before you were born or even before you were at least 5 years old.
**. The team has won several Cups in its history, but again they were all before you were born...
***. The team has won one or more Cups since you were old enough to actually appreciate the Cup run yourself.
****. The team has won one or more Cups in recent history and still has a significant number of the Cup winning players on the roster.
*****. You were an active member, player or coach, of a Cup winning team.

I can be a 3-star bragger based on that, but in truth it doesn't feel like much to brag about with my team not having won the Cup in 36 years.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 07-18-2008 at 04:35 PM.
MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
The five levels of bragging rights:

*. The team has won a Cup before, but it was before you were born or even before you were at least 5 years old.
**. The team has won several Cups in its history, but again they were all before you were born...
***. The team has won one or more Cups since you were old enough to actually appreciate the Cup run yourself.
****. The team has won one or more Cups in recent history and still has a significant number of the Cup winning players on the roster.
*****. You were an active member, player or coach, of a Cup winning team.

I can be a 3-star bragger based on that, but in truth it doesn't feel like much to brag about with my team not having won the Cup in 36 years.
looks good... and im with you... i don't brag about '89... its a great memory but it was almost 20 years ago... i can understand bragging if your team is the reigning champs... or maybe even if you have alot of players left from a recent cup and are still a contender

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 06:19 PM
BayStreetBully

I'm going to have to disagree here. Toronto's my city, born and raised. The feats accomplished in the name of my city, whether it happened in 1793, 1813 or 1967, is something to be proud of and celebrated by all Torontonians.

I'm also a Canadian, and I'm proud of 1867 Confederation, 1917 Vimy Ridge and the 1972 Summit Series. I'll also brag about it too if I like, thank you very much. By the same token, I'm proud of Conn Smythe, Charlie Conacher, Syl Apps, and the franchise's 13 Stanley Cups. I'll also brag about them as well, if I'm ever confronted by a fan of another, ahem, "less-storied" team. This whole thread was started with the Leafs in mind. Well, we may not have won the cup for a while, and the present may look bleak, but we have history and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

BayStreetBully is offline   Reply With Quote