HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should you be alive for the Cups to obtain bragging rights?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2008, 07:43 PM
  #51
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post
I'm also a Canadian, and I'm proud of 1867 Confederation, 1917 Vimy Ridge and the 1972 Summit Series. I'll also brag about it too if I like, thank you very much. By the same token, I'm proud of Conn Smythe, Charlie Conacher, Syl Apps, and the franchise's 13 Stanley Cups. I'll also brag about them as well, if I'm ever confronted by a fan of another, ahem, "less-storied" team. This whole thread was started with the Leafs in mind. Well, we may not have won the cup for a while, and the present may look bleak, but we have history and I wouldn't trade that for anything.
This is not winning a war or an important battle in a great war, something that luckly only has occasion to happen every now and then. This is a sport, something that has a championship to be won every year. How many other Confederations, Vimy Ridges, or even Summit Series have there been? So of course we remain proud of those things and have a right to brag about them. But winning the Cup is something that happens every year, and if your team hasn't won it in 30 years or more then there's little to brag about... 30+ years of futility.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 07:50 PM
  #52
dubey
~manlets~
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post
I'm going to have to disagree here. Toronto's my city, born and raised. The feats accomplished in the name of my city, whether it happened in 1793, 1813 or 1967, is something to be proud of and celebrated by all Torontonians.

I'm also a Canadian, and I'm proud of 1867 Confederation, 1917 Vimy Ridge and the 1972 Summit Series. I'll also brag about it too if I like, thank you very much. By the same token, I'm proud of Conn Smythe, Charlie Conacher, Syl Apps, and the franchise's 13 Stanley Cups. I'll also brag about them as well, if I'm ever confronted by a fan of another, ahem, "less-storied" team. This whole thread was started with the Leafs in mind. Well, we may not have won the cup for a while, and the present may look bleak, but we have history and I wouldn't trade that for anything.
tl;dr version: Toronto > you.

Amen.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:03 PM
  #53
BayStreetBully
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
This is not winning a war or an important battle in a great war, something that luckly only has occasion to happen every now and then. This is a sport, something that has a championship to be won every year. How many other Confederations, Vimy Ridges, or even Summit Series have there been? So of course we remain proud of those things and have a right to brag about them. But winning the Cup is something that happens every year, and if your team hasn't won it in 30 years or more then there's little to brag about... 30+ years of futility.
By that logic Chris Chelios has no right to brag about his 3 Norris trophies, since he hasn't won one in a dozen years. What has he done for us lately, other than providing us with a decade of futility, right? Now I know what you're going to say. You'll say this is different because he personally earned them. You'd be right, but that's not the point. His kids would have every right to brag about their dad's accomplishments too, even if they weren't born.

You said that we can be proud and brag about Confederation, Vimy Ridge and the Summit Series because those things don't happen all the time. No, no, and no. We can be proud and brag about them because it's a part of our history. And isn't that what this whole thread's about? Being alive or not when the glory happened? I already know my team is pathetic right now. And I know all about the Ballard years. But guess what? Hockey history in Toronto didn't begin in 1967. The history of Toronto and everything associated with it (Leafs included) is the history of who I am. Which gives me plenty to brag about.

BayStreetBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:33 PM
  #54
btnh6668
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Country: Portugal
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
The fact people even care about this is sad. A cup is a cup so i dont see why it matters if you were around or not. As far as bragging goes... unless you played on that team, there shouldnt be much to brag about considering you had zero to do with your teams success. Its one thing to be proud and happy about it but bragging about it sounds dumb to me.

btnh6668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:26 PM
  #55
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post
You said that we can be proud and brag about Confederation, Vimy Ridge and the Summit Series because those things don't happen all the time. No, no, and no. We can be proud and brag about them because it's a part of our history. And isn't that what this whole thread's about? Being alive or not when the glory happened? I already know my team is pathetic right now. And I know all about the Ballard years. But guess what? Hockey history in Toronto didn't begin in 1967. The history of Toronto and everything associated with it (Leafs included) is the history of who I am. Which gives me plenty to brag about.
A team's history is more than just the Cups it has won. So yea, the Maples Leafs have a long and great history in the NHL, that's something to be proud about. That "history" still continues today! But as for winning Cups or even a Cup, that hasn't continued and hasn't happened since 1967. 15 different teams/cities have won the Cup since then, that puts Toronto in the bottom half of teams with Cup bragging rights.

And as for having won the Cup 13 times, most of those wins were won when the League only had 6 teams, so the odds of winning were much greater than they are now, and that's 24 other current teams that the Leafs didn't then have to compete against in order to win it. Hey, I'm not trying to specifically knock the Leafs, but they seem to be the primary focus of this thread so my commentary here is using them as an example.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:31 PM
  #56
Harrison Ford
Registered User
 
Harrison Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 19,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
The five levels of bragging rights:

*. The team has won a Cup before, but it was before you were born or even before you were at least 5 years old.
**. The team has won several Cups in its history, but again they were all before you were born...
***. The team has won one or more Cups since you were old enough to actually appreciate the Cup run yourself.
****. The team has won one or more Cups in recent history and still has a significant number of the Cup winning players on the roster.
*****. You were an active member, player or coach, of a Cup winning team.

I can be a 3-star bragger based on that, but in truth it doesn't feel like much to brag about with my team not having won the Cup in 36 years.
Yeahhhh level 4 *****esss.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:46 PM
  #57
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Your team is your team and it shouldn't matter whether you were alive or not....and by the way, I was around for the Oilers cups in the 80s.
But is it really your team if the players, the coachs, and the GM etc were not the ones you cheered for personally? The name of the team might be the same but its not the same team IMO.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:40 AM
  #58
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
You lose bragging rights after a year IMO. Its great to look back on it, but its the past.

The whole "yeah, well, at one time we were the best team!" is ridiculous.
coming from a fan whose team was never the best.No personnal attack, just pointing out the obvious. You are like a nun talking about sex.


I think the habs have done so much for the NHL since they were created that they earned the right to brag about what they want. The habs MADE the NHL. Their fanbase is worldwide. Their impact on the NHL is invaluable. To another level they are also the identity of a whole nation of francophones in a sea of anglophones. This team is hockey's New York Yankees. Habs fanbase worldwide is probably bigger than the fanbases of all other nhl teams combined. Get used to it.

All the original 6 teams were the NHL until some idiot decided to make nhl contracts public. That led to today's contracts, now agents have comparables and can also use the media. Some other idiots decided a bunch of new teams with funny names and ugly shirts were needed. They decided Arizona was a better fit for hockey than Winnipeg. The Quebec Nordiques went to Colorado therefore killing the greatest hockey rivalry in hockey history. Only those who have lived habs-nordiques games will understand. Greatest hockey games of all. 2 teams in the same province. Damn that was intense!!! You don't see those anymore. Too much teams/scrubs around these days. Hockey suffers from it. A lot. Fourth liners from 20 years ago now play on the 2nd line in most teams...A guy like Ryan Malone would have been a fourth liner 20 years ago. And get crazy amounts for VERY LONG periods... Hockey is sick...

But I still breathe Habs/hockey. I love it as much as I ever did but damn was it poorly managed.


Last edited by peperebougon*: 07-19-2008 at 04:17 AM.
peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:31 AM
  #59
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post
I'm going to have to disagree here. Toronto's my city, born and raised. The feats accomplished in the name of my city, whether it happened in 1793, 1813 or 1967, is something to be proud of and celebrated by all Torontonians.
Big difference between having pride and bragging rights!

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:44 AM
  #60
BayStreetBully
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
A team's history is more than just the Cups it has won. So yea, the Maples Leafs have a long and great history in the NHL, that's something to be proud about. That "history" still continues today! But as for winning Cups or even a Cup, that hasn't continued and hasn't happened since 1967. 15 different teams/cities have won the Cup since then, that puts Toronto in the bottom half of teams with Cup bragging rights.

And as for having won the Cup 13 times, most of those wins were won when the League only had 6 teams, so the odds of winning were much greater than they are now, and that's 24 other current teams that the Leafs didn't then have to compete against in order to win it. Hey, I'm not trying to specifically knock the Leafs, but they seem to be the primary focus of this thread so my commentary here is using them as an example.
What are you trying to argue anyway? I already acknowledged the Leafs' history since 1967. In fact, that's what everyone is trying to say, that only the present matters. I acknowledged that, and then made a point that history extends before 1967. And why is Toronto in the bottom half of teams with cup bragging rights? Because you said so? Do the Rangers have more cup bragging rights than Montreal just because they won more recently? This is silly. Everyone is trying to lay down the laws of how much one's permitted to brag and be proud. All of this reeks of douchebaggery and insecurity. Just be proud of your own team and let others brag however much they like. Do you see me trying to regulate how much Habs or Wings fans should be allowed to brag? No, because I don't give a rat's arse. I'm proud of my team and good for others if they're proud of theirs.

Sure, the Leafs won when there were 6 teams, and teams today win in a 30 team league. Half of the 30 teams nowadays are garbage anyway, and would have no shot whatsoever at the cup. You could put those teams in the 60's and those Leafs still would've mopped the floor and won their cups. By your logic, Gordie Howe's scoring titles aren't as impressive as Alex Ovechkin's, because Gordie didn't have to compete with 700 NHLers.

Want to know why I'm proud of my Leafs? Watch the first 3 minutes of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSvqX...eature=related

My favourite part? 1:00-1:15.

BayStreetBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:47 AM
  #61
Maximus Taylor
 
Maximus Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btnh6668 View Post
The fact people even care about this is sad. A cup is a cup so i dont see why it matters if you were around or not. As far as bragging goes... unless you played on that team, there shouldnt be much to brag about considering you had zero to do with your teams success. Its one thing to be proud and happy about it but bragging about it sounds dumb to me.
I'm with this guy.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:49 AM
  #62
BayStreetBully
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Big difference between having pride and bragging rights!
That's true, and I don't brag when it's unwarranted. I'm not a bragger by nature, but I reserve the right to do so when other fans trash my team. It's funny when fans of teams with 1-2 cups think they're the bees knees just because they've been around 20 years and won in the last decade. People speak of the Leafs' 1951 cup win like it's an insult. I actually relish watching my team in black and white, the same way Yankee fans do with Dimaggio and Mantle.

BayStreetBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:24 AM
  #63
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,960
vCash: 500
It does strike me as a little weird that people equate winning a cup in a 6 team league to the teams that do it in the current league, or at least post expansion.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:43 AM
  #64
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,597
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
The five levels of bragging rights:

*. The team has won a Cup before, but it was before you were born or even before you were at least 5 years old.
**. The team has won several Cups in its history, but again they were all before you were born...
***. The team has won one or more Cups since you were old enough to actually appreciate the Cup run yourself.
****. The team has won one or more Cups in recent history and still has a significant number of the Cup winning players on the roster.
*****. You were an active member, player or coach, of a Cup winning team.

I can be a 3-star bragger based on that, but in truth it doesn't feel like much to brag about with my team not having won the Cup in 36 years.
Let's just stick with this.
works for me!
plus I also can be a three star bragger.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:48 AM
  #65
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Let's just stick with this.
works for me!
plus I also can be a three star bragger.
I dunno, I think its pretty weak for me as a pens fan to brag about the two cups in the early 90's when none of those players still exist right now. Those were great times and all but they don't make the franchise what it is right now. Now a cup win in the next few years is certainly worth bragging, but they have an expiring shelf life if ya know what I mean.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:01 AM
  #66
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,597
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I dunno, I think its pretty weak for me as a pens fan to brag about the two cups in the early 90's when none of those players still exist right now. Those were great times and all but they don't make the franchise what it is right now. Now a cup win in the next few years is certainly worth bragging, but they have an expiring shelf life if ya know what I mean.

I know what you mean. I just like his ranking system for people who feel the need to brag.
I was around for the oilers cup wins and my friends and I don't really bring it up now. what's the point? It's worse than bragging you were the high school football star 20 years ago. but at least the football guy actually played in the big game.
all we did was watch tv.
I appreciate having watched the old oilers and glad I was there to enjoy the moment, but bragging? I hate when someone brings the Edm-Cgy 5 cups to 1 argument out. it's embarassing.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:04 AM
  #67
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post
. . .
Everyone is trying to lay down the laws of how much one's permitted to brag and be proud. All of this reeks of douchebaggery and insecurity. Just be proud of your own team and let others brag however much they like. Do you see me trying to regulate how much Habs or Wings fans should be allowed to brag? No, because I don't give a rat's arse. I'm proud of my team and good for others if they're proud of theirs.

Sure, the Leafs won when there were 6 teams, and teams today win in a 30 team league. Half of the 30 teams nowadays are garbage anyway, and would have no shot whatsoever at the cup. You could put those teams in the 60's and those Leafs still would've mopped the floor and won their cups. By your logic, Gordie Howe's scoring titles aren't as impressive as Alex Ovechkin's, because Gordie didn't have to compete with 700 NHLers.
You seem to be confusing the fact of Toronto's history or Gordie Howe's scoring titles with the bragging rights of today's fans. I'm not someone you need to be making the comment that I'd be considering Howe's scoring titles aren't as impressive as Ovechkin's. Two different eras, two different classes of players, it can't really be compared.

And as someone else just said above, being proud of something in history isn't the same as bragging about something today.

And you're mentioning Habs and Wings fans, well I'm a Bruins fan and I have very little to brag about in comparison to a Leafs fan. I can talk about the great team of the 70s, which still only managed to win 2 Cups, and about Orr being arguably the best player of all-time, and perhaps about the Bruins reaching two Cup finals in '88 and '90, but the fact is that I really don't have anything to brag about with respect to Cup wins since the early 70s, and if I'm bragging about the Cup winning success of the Bruins today, I'd feel a bit pathetic to arging my case with Cup championships from 36 years ago. I'm proud of the fact that I saw the two Cup wins in the early 70s, and that I saw the play of Bobby Orr, and that the Bruins still have the longest Playoff appearance streak, and I can brag about the history of the Bruins franchise.

But hey, I really think that possibly we're arguing symantics here, that there's really not a whole lot of difference in what we're saying, except that perhaps you're letting your Leaf pride color your way of expressing what you want to say, and I'm not going to criticize for having pride in your team!

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:09 AM
  #68
edmonton_ice
Registered User
 
edmonton_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Depends on your Team

This argument is going to be on your fav. team. If your a Leaf, you want history on your side, same with being an Oiler fan. If your a fan of a new team or a team that hasnt won the cup, the canucks youre going to say hell with history.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:10 AM
  #69
Luongo4VP
 
Luongo4VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: India
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
We can compare with our rivals based on this:

The Battle of Alberta:

Edmonton Oilers: 28 Seasons, 5 Stanley Cups

Calgary Shames: 27 Seasons, 1 Stanley Cup

Here you can compare and state that Edmonton is the far superior Team.


However....

The Battle of Ontario:

Toronto Maple Leafs: 91 Seasons, 13 Stanley Cups

Ottawa Senators: 15 Seasons, 0 Stanley Cups

It can't really compare since both teams weren't founded in the same range of years.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:19 AM
  #70
Black Tank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: a NYer in England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
For me it makes a big difference if you were an active fan during the championship season. In 93-94 I went to a handful of reg season games and all of the viewing parties for the PO games at MSG when the Rangers were playing away. I saw game 7 of the finals at my favorite bar across from the Garden with a bunch of my buddies and remember flooding the streets post game...

The memories of the games themselves are intertwined with the personal memories and it makes a big difference. My buddy who was working abroad those years still relishes 94 but nowhere near as intensely as I do.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:42 AM
  #71
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
We can compare with our rivals based on this:

The Battle of Alberta:

Edmonton Oilers: 28 Seasons, 5 Stanley Cups

Calgary Shames: 27 Seasons, 1 Stanley Cup

Here you can compare and state that Edmonton is the far superior Team.
of course an Oiler fan would use this arguement... but lets be honest no one other than Oilers fans really cares... there is no doubt the Oilers have a more storied history... but that doesn't outright make them 'far more superior'...

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:46 AM
  #72
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,121
vCash: 500
You get bragging rights till your team is no longer called the "Defending Stanley cup champions", so as most said, that usually lasts a year.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:58 AM
  #73
Luongo4VP
 
Luongo4VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: India
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
of course an Oiler fan would use this arguement... but lets be honest no one other than Oilers fans really cares... there is no doubt the Oilers have a more storied history... but that doesn't outright make them 'far more superior'...
Because the Flames haven't accomplished smack(Outside of that one cup).

If you haven't noticed, Cups are what determines a Teams success, the more cups, the more success.

Win 4 more cups and I'll respect you guys, other then that, you are a piece of crap team.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:59 AM
  #74
Luongo4VP
 
Luongo4VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: India
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
of course an Oiler fan would use this arguement... but lets be honest no one other than Oilers fans really cares... there is no doubt the Oilers have a more storied history... but that doesn't outright make them 'far more superior'...
OBVIOUSLY IT MAKES THEM FAR SUPERIOR, THEY HAVE FIVE TIMES AS MANY CUPS

What an embarassing response.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 06:55 PM
  #75
Giuseppe Franco
Registered User
 
Giuseppe Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by benitovo View Post
I don't think I have bragging rights for anything "my" team does. I didn't do anything to cause them to win. I don't take pride in the efforts of others just because I hope they win.
That's pretty much my view on it as well.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.