HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Fisher give up No. 12 for Bondra?

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Calgary_Moe

vCash: 500
Will Fisher give up No. 12 for Bondra?

Anyone know?

Old
02-19-2004, 09:58 AM
montysens

Send a message via Skype™ to montysens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Moe
Anyone know?
Bondra will have #10 on his back.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Calorissi

There was an article in the Ottawa Sun today which addressed this. Fisher was asked if he would relinquish the #12 and he refused.

He said that he has had that number since junior. He also said that it might have been different if he was a rookie.....

My opinion is that he should have. Linden did in Vancouver for Messier, I believe they did it in Colorado when Bourque went there. This is not the kind of action that I like to see from a player who many believe may be a future captain.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:10 AM
H2ODP

It's not a big deal.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:17 AM
HF2002

Maybe Bondra should offer something for the number, like John Kruk did years ago when he got traded (baseball). He traded the number to a new addition to the team for a 6 pack and a package of hot dogs.

Or, pull a Rickey Henderson. When he was traded to the Jays in '93 it was reported that he paid $25,000 for the number he wanted.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan11
It's not a big deal.
You're right...I don't think it is either. Fisher isn't the kind of guy to be rude or anything, and after all, it's his number too. Bondra is a laid back kind of guy I hear, so I'm sure he doesn't mind.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:19 AM
snepsts27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorissi
My opinion is that he should have. Linden did in Vancouver for Messier, I believe they did it in Colorado when Bourque went there. This is not the kind of action that I like to see from a player who many believe may be a future captain.
Linden has worn #16 all of his career, Messier brought #11 out of retirement in Vancouver. Wayne Maki died in the 70's while he was a member fo the Canucks, and out of respect no one was allowed to wear the number.

When Messier came to town he asked Maki's family, and they gave him their blessing to wear #11.

As for Bourque, he gave up his #7 in Boston so they could properly retire it for Phil Espisito in the most memorable jersey retirement in history. After that Ray wore #77 for his time in Boston , and with the Avs. No one wore #77 in Colorado before he got there.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Calorissi

Thank you, snepsts27, for clearing these up for me.
I knew the changes happened, but was foggy on the details.

That does change things though.
It may not be a big deal, but for a player who has been injured the whole year, and is thought to be a heart type player, it would have been a classy move.

I am not saying he is not a good, classy person, just that it would have been yet another reason to respect Mr. Fisher.

Old
02-19-2004, 12:03 PM
nessie

Send a message via AIM to nessie Send a message via MSN to nessie Send a message via Yahoo to nessie
I don't see it being a big deal - sure Bondra wore #12 in WASHINGTON but this is Ottawa, not Washington, and when you come in and someone else has the same number you wore, you don't worry about not keeping it, you get a new number - and it's significant anyhow as Bondra is the TENTH player on teh Sens to have 10 goals or more

Old
02-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Calgary_Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie
I don't see it being a big deal - sure Bondra wore #12 in WASHINGTON but this is Ottawa, not Washington, and when you come in and someone else has the same number you wore, you don't worry about not keeping it, you get a new number - and it's significant anyhow as Bondra is the TENTH player on teh Sens to have 10 goals or more

Good enough. This acquisition, however, brings in the question. The injuries to Bonk and White not withstanding, is Fisher expendable? I mean, the team has been winning without him... right?

Old
02-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Hugh Nito I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Moe
Good enough. This acquisition, however, brings in the question. The injuries to Bonk and White not withstanding, is Fisher expendable? I mean, the team has been winning without him... right?
Hands off!!

Old
02-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Calorissi

I do not think Fisher is expendable, and certainly not this year.
I also think that his injuries have seriously limited his return in any proposed trade.

When healthy we have (in no order other than position):
Bondra Bonk Hossa
Varada Spezza Alfredson
Schaefer Smolinski Havlat
Langfield Fisher Neil
Vermette Van Allen
Ray

Defense:
Chara Philips
Redden Rachunek
Volchenkov Simpson
Curtis L. Pothier
Knidy

I think that with this lineup, Fisher becomes our 4th line Energy Centre. He would be dynamite on that line. Van Allen will sit next year, or not be asked back.
We would have to get a checking centre back in a trade to move Fisher.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:13 PM
dre

actually linden had #32 for a few seasons in new york because zigmund palffy had it and was #14 in montreal because #16 was retired to honour henri richard.
doesn't really matter but just wanted to clear things up

Last edited by dre: 02-19-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old
02-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Calorissi

Thanks again.
I was confused with Linden giving up the 'C" to Messier in Vancouver.
It seems that there are not many occurances of Players giving up their Numbers when a trade is made. There are far more occurances of giving/offering the 'C' to a new veteran leader. Before anyone takes this the wrong way, no Alfie should not give up the 'C' to Bondra.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
By no means should we move Fisher. I think he's our #2 center personally. I'd rank Spezza as #1 and Bonk as #3 to this point. I watched almost every game last year and Fisher can create so much in the offensive zone. While he's not big, he's tough as a rock and has the potential to be that power forward type they've been wanting. His production has only gone up and he's still young. No need to trade him

Old
02-19-2004, 03:53 PM
e-e

for you guys who haven't seen bondra playing before his NHL days :
he wore #18 while playing for VSZ Kosice (czechoslavkia). I still remeber those days. ....i gotta tell ya...long time ago...really

Old
02-19-2004, 04:57 PM
ZombieMatt

I don't think Fisher should give up his number for Bondra.

Bondra is not a huge super-star addition to this team. He is a star, but not a super-star in my opinion. if it were Jagr I'd say, yeah, give up his number (in a theoretical situation) or someone like that, but for bondra...I say let him get a new number.

Old
02-19-2004, 05:15 PM
montysens

Send a message via Skype™ to montysens
He isn't.. Bondra will wear #10

Old
02-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Spezza

Quote:
By no means should we move Fisher. I think he's our #2 center personally. I'd rank Spezza as #1 and Bonk as #3 to this point. I watched almost every game last year and Fisher can create so much in the offensive zone. While he's not big, he's tough as a rock and has the potential to be that power forward type they've been wanting. His production has only gone up and he's still young. No need to trade him
I'm glad you've mentioned the point about Fisher and the potential to be that ever elusive power forward. I guess when he's out of sight, he can fall out of our thoughts too. I think the consensus last year was that Fisher on the left wing wasn't as an effective player as he is at centre.

I don't agree that he's our #2 at this point. I'm not convinced that Fisher could shut down a Thornton or a Sakic, while I'd be fairly comfortable having Bonk centering lines against them.

Anywho, I don't see why Mike should give up his number. He by all means can be asked, but you have to bare in mind that Fisher is a major link to Roger and the past. That number is what he's worn and it may well have emotional significance, especially since the season is dedicated to Roger.

Then again, maybe he doesn't want to change it for some other reason that isn't as understandable. But does it really matter?

Closed Thread