HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Spector's on a Potential Mtl-Edm deal.

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 02:53 PM
t0mf00lery

vCash: 500
Spector's on a Potential Mtl-Edm deal.

SPECTOR'S MAILBAG.

My thanks to Martin Gagne for the following on the Canadiens: "There's been a dispute between the Montreal's captain Saku Koivu and the team leader in points Mike Ribeiro this morning at the practice. The two players have been involved in a ''fight'' as Koivu was the instigator. Koivu is one of the favorite player's fan in the organization and if he want to be out of Montréal, he is using the good way. Montréal is also still interested in acquiring forward Ryan Smyth... Maybe we'll see something with Koivu and Smyth... but don't be surprised if Richard Zednik is trade too... He is not in the good mind of Claude Julien as is poor play since the beginning of the year might cost is job... Here are some players who could be trade by the march deadline : Koivu, Zednik, Rivet, Dackell, Perreault, Kilger, Juneau and Bulis !!! This seem pathetic of Montréal but this is the reality here...These rumors are from RDS (for Koivu and Ribeiro) and the rest are only speculation from some of the journalist who were at 110% last night, it's a show presented by TQS."

Old
02-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Bohologo

Much as I admire Koivu's skill, intensity, and resiliency, I'm leary of the Oilers acquiring a pricey, brittle and diminutive forward for the top six. On the other hand, he would be a good bridge to the Pouliout/Niniimaki/Brodziak era.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Matts

And you look at that list

and you're honest with youself and what in the love of Gawd will you get for those guys?

I live in St.John's, NF which means I'm surrounded with Habs and Leaves fans and right now my Habs buddies, or one of them, is going nuts because they once had a 12 point lead over the Sabres and now it's down to one I believe.

He wants a trade.

But what are the Habs gonna be able to pick up that would get them even close to a 1st round upset unless Theo is lights out again?

The deal is the expectations have been raised because they had such a great start. Souray was playing WAYYYY over his head and now he's hurt and their lack of D depth has been exposed. Well they were on the downslide because he was hurt but now it's really snowballing.

Thing is they were playing way over their head and hopefully for them Gainey realizes that and doesn't make a rash decision to try and make a move to make the playoffs this season and then screw the next two or three years.

Say like dealing a pick that wound up being Scott Neidermeyer when what you recieved in return was Tom Kurvers.

Souray's durability has to be once again questioned but Markov and Komm are there as young rearguards and maybe Hainsey can pick it up as well. Higgins and some other forwards are in the pipe.

Theo and Garon should make for a great tandem.

But in this season the Habs should suck it up instead of shortterm gain for longterm pain which is exactly why I'm, not railing on Lowe to make a big splash that doesn't involve the longview.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:04 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Both Koivu and Ribeiro are smallish players, but you can't deny that both of them have skill, something that this Oiler team lacks. Out of the two I'd rather take Koivu cause we've yet to see if Ribeiro is more than a one year wonder (and the fact that he really needs to bulk up), and if Smyth leaves, we really need Koivu's leadership. The only thing about Koivu is that he's very injury prone, but he has appeared to bounce back quite well from his bout with cancer.

How's Koivu's contract by the way?

Old
02-19-2004, 03:07 PM
creative giant*

If all we're getting back for smyth is koivu, we should keep him whatever he costs. Koivu tops out at 20 goals, smyth has shown that with the right linemates he is a 30 goal guy.

we should be focusing on getting him the right linemates, and making deals for them, rather than shipping him off

Old
02-19-2004, 03:10 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
This will likely be the only time you'll see me propose a trade involving Smyth but here goes:

To Edmonton: Koivu and Zednik
To Montreal: Smyth, Bergeron, and 2nd round pick.

...somebody take my keyboard away.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Matts

Ribero

was having a decent enough season last year before being hurt. Nothing mind blowing but enough that I heard Habs fans talking about him to the point where they thought he was showing promise

Old
02-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
This will likely be the only time you'll see me propose a trade involving Smyth but here goes:

To Edmonton: Koivu and Zednik
To Montreal: Smyth, Bergeron, and 2nd round pick.

...somebody take my keyboard away.
Hmmm, I don't like this one bit from a Habs perspective. We are losing our top two offensive players. Plus, Oilers can't afford this deal, Koivu makes too much money, and Zednik is a free agent after this season I believe and should command more than 2 million, since is Montreal's best goal scorer.

Bergeron? I don't think Habs need a small defenseman. We already have Bouillon, who at 5'8 get pushed around too much by bigger teams.

I really don't think fans around the league should make a big deal about the situation in Montreal. It seems like whenever there is a "crisis," the media like RDS/TQS make up rumours. Last summer, apparently Theodore/Brisebois to the Avalanche was a done deal. The French media is especially harsh on Koivu. I would take these rumours with a grain of salt, unless Bob McKenzie or someone reputable comes out and says otherwise.

Last edited by Tricolore#20: 02-19-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old
02-19-2004, 04:46 PM
t0mf00lery

How about Smyth, Isbister, and Smith for Koivu, Zednik, and Garon?

Old
02-19-2004, 05:01 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
How about Smyth, Isbister, and Smith for Koivu, Zednik, and Garon?
We'd be losing a lot of grit, size, and toughness and getting back finesse and talent without the size.

It completely changes the face of the Oilers, but I like it.

No wait, I hate it. I don't want any of those guys gone....but then again, I like the idea of Koivu, Zednik, and Garon...I'm so confused!

This is why I never include Smyth in trade ideas. It messes with my head.

Old
02-19-2004, 05:04 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think this is being blown way out of proportion...

Remember when Smyth and Staois got into a little rumble this year?

It happens when emotions are high and you are doing an aggressive drill, and I honestly don't think Koivu and Ribero are really thinking about it as anything more than competetive spirit.

Closed Thread