HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jonathan Toews named Captain of the Blackhawks/Hawks to also retire #3

Old
07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Ice Whole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction Jackson View Post
In defense of this move I'm not really sure who on that team is better qualified to take the position, anyway. So, why not give it to Toews?
Brian Campbell but he just signed in Chicago.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 07:39 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Might as well. He's the face of their franchise. I personally think he has more leadership skills than Crosby and was Crosby not named captain at a similar age?
in what way have you noticed his leadership skill is different?

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Novak Djokovic
HAWKS BANDWAGON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
Brian Campbell but he just signed in Chicago.
I just don't see Campbell as a leader of a hockey club....Now, I haven't been to the dressing room so who knows. I'm sure a Sabres fan can help me out.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Adam Larsson

vCash: 892
I like the move. Couldn't care less how old he is.

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 07:58 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
in what way have you noticed his leadership skill is different?

That's what I'm wondering. Realistically, not a single person in here has the slightest clue who would be fit for the job on any team in the league let alone the Hawks. How can we know if we haven't stepped a foot in the room?

That's what bothers me about people who speculate on leadership and captaincies.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Wheatking

Didn't Lapointe say after being traded that he thought Toews should be captain? I think that says a lot. Who cares how old you are. If you have the respect of your teammates then thats all that should matter. Good for him.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Celestial Black

A little surprised because I didn't think he would be captain so soon but definitely hoped that he would some day. He is a great leader and has a lot of other young guys behind him who all show a lot of great skill.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Didn't Lapointe say after being traded that he thought Toews should be captain? I think that says a lot. Who cares how old you are. If you have the respect of your teammates then thats all that should matter. Good for him.
the same goes for crosby. Within the first few months management, coaches and teammates alike where raving at the insane maturity he showed for an 18yr old. Everyone questioned opined that he would in short order be the leader of tht team. However when michel therrien slapped an A on his jersey HF ran amock

Funny thing is THAT SAME YEAR he was given an A for the SENIOR team canada in the world championships in belarus.

None of us are privey to the locker room actions of these kids. If the team says they are their captains then they are. If they can't hack it (say like Lecavalier) then it will soon be exposed. The whole team isn't going to go to pot for the ineptitude of one player. Congrats to Toews. Hope he keeps his head and continues to excell

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
WHAT!?

Toews? The one that just left college? The one that didn't even play full season with the Hawks?

Dumb, dumb move.

Campbell would have made better choice. And thats saying something.
The one that Martin Lapointe and Denis Savard have said is ready to be captain, who called out his team at an early stage when he didn't think their effort was there - and they responded - and the one who gave the team a much better record when he was in the line-up than when he wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Might as well. He's the face of their franchise. I personally think he has more leadership skills than Crosby and was Crosby not named captain at a similar age?
I know eh? Crosby only led his team to the Cup Finals in his first year as captain, at age 20, which no other player in NHL history has ever done.

Alright, back onto Toews. Great decision by the Hawks - just great. Guys like Crosby, Toews, and (soon, likely) Richards are the type of young, never-quit, give-it-their-all every shift stars that any team would be proud to have as captain.

They won't regret the decision. My only regret is that I wanted the Pens to take him 2nd overall in '06.

Southern Manitoba represent!

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Not sure of Mags going to rafters. I dont think he fits the Hawks criteria (Seems to be HOF needed). If his goes up then i think Larmer deserves his retired also.

Glad to see Pilote's name go up there. Been waiting for that for a long time.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:09 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I bought my Toews jersey in February and had a C stitched in. This was a no-brainer to anyone who follows the Blackhawks. He is the leader of our team.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Hawker14

Brian Bellows was a good captain at a young age. This could turn out well.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

From what I hear, Toews is a fantastic leader and was captain material from Day One. No problem with it - age shouldn't matter.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Joe Morelli

Toews was the youngest player at UND to wear a letter.

“There’s no question that he’s a natural leader,” UND coach Dave Hakstol said. “He’s absolutely driven to win and goes about everything in the right way. He’s a consummate professional. We saw that here from the start.”

Joe Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:25 PM
btnh6668

Although i agree age doesnt matter but how can you possibly think hes capable of being a leader to other players when he has only played one season and hasnt played 1 playoff game. What advice or leadership can you possibly give other players when you have only played 64 regular season games and zero playoff games. Putting pressure on a kid who hasnt even finnished a full season is poor tactics.The term "leadership" is over used.
The way the C's are being passed out now days it doesnt have the same meaning it once did IMO.

btnh6668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Naming a guy captain this young is the height of a "look at me", move. It won't be long before we see guys bring a jersey to the podium with a C already on it.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:45 PM
BearChi

this news shocked me a little lol but he deserves it

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
He definetly deserved the "C". Good for him.
i agree. i think he will be just fine with the C.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:55 PM
mydogsparty
Bryan Trottier #19

This is awesome news!!!! I couldn't be more excited for Chicago. Toews will make a great captain for MANY years to come. I'm expecting huge things from Chicago for years to come. I hope a long healthy rivalry between Chicago and Detroit is one of the byproducts.

mydogsparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Alrighty, lots to say on this subject, so here we go....

Toews was a great kid when I went to UND and had a class with him. I talked with him often and could see he was special. Of course, I hoped he would stick around and become possibly the greatest Captain in UND history, but guess that was too much to ask lol. But there is no question he was ready to leave. It would have been almost like men among boys had he stayed till his senior year. But anyways, he was a great person, at 17, and I can only imagine how he has matured over the last few years. It is obvious by the comments from Savard and Lapointe that they feel the same way. Considering all of this, plus his performance in the WJC, his performance at UND, and his scoring touch made obvious last season, even though he was injured for part of it, it is no question that he has the skill. Everything seems to be there except the experience at the NHL level. But with his experience and leadership at the other levels, and the fact that he has the endorsement of others with great leadership, I would say there is no question this was the time to award him the C.

And as far as Crosby "leading" his team to the finals his first year as captain, lets get one thing straight. He was out for months. Malkin took over there. Conklin got hot, Fleury got hot, the team came together, and all without Crosby there. Once he got back, the team was already reformed and he just helped them along. Helped yes, but to put the responsibility of taking the team to and through the playoffs is....preposterous. of course, that is just MY opinion

That being said, Congrats to Johnny. He was, at one time, a sort of friend, and a great person to chat with. I will always regret not being able to go to that Hockey House party that you invited me to though blah

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:26 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusiouxcanesguy View Post
And as far as Crosby "leading" his team to the finals his first year as captain, lets get one thing straight. He was out for months. Malkin took over there. Conklin got hot, Fleury got hot, the team came together, and all without Crosby there. Once he got back, the team was already reformed and he just helped them along. Helped yes, but to put the responsibility of taking the team to and through the playoffs is....preposterous. of course, that is just MY opinion
Crosby was injured during the season, and there's not a whole hell of a lot he could do about that. Malkin was excellent in picking up the slack.

But Crosby is the leader of that team, and it's been acknowledged by every Pens player who's been asked:

Quote:
Penguins winger Ryan Malone said he had never seen Crosby as focused for a game as he was prior to Game 3. It was a quiet confidence Crosby was exuding to his teammates, but his play was about as loud as it gets.

"When you see guys like that throwing body checks and backchecking and doing all the little things it takes to win in the Final," said Adam Hall, who scored the game-winning goal, "it inspires every guy down the bench and we build off that momentum."
Quote:
"He definitely led the way here tonight," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "He's a quiet leader in terms of what he says in the locker room and stuff, but he is obviously the leader of this team and leads by example."
Quote:
"He was Sidney Crosby. We don't expect anything less than that," Penguins forward Maxime Talbot said. "Maybe that's stupid to say, but that's what he is. He is a gamer. He is a warrior. He is the leader of our team. How he played this game, we couldn't do it without him. He was doing so much and it gave us life and energy. That's why I love the guy. He's awesome."
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=364626

Quote:
"He's been awesome," Scuderi said. "Just his drive -- even if it's not going for him offensively, you know he's giving absolutely everything he's got. That's all you can ask from your captain, and he's given that every night since he's put on the jersey."
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=365312

I can find tons more if you like, but I'd rather not have this turn into a novel.

The point is, he was the team's most consistent player, highest scorer in the post-season, and universally acknowledged leader. What, pray tell, do you consider "leading a team to the Cup Final", if not that?

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 07-19-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:32 AM
ChiGuySez
2013 SC Champions

For anyone outside of Chicago, I'll post an exerpt from a local paper...

Long after the Blackhawks finished their 3-1 loss to the Florida Panthers at the United Center on Sunday, rookie Jonathan Toews sat at his locker in full uniform staring straight ahead.

Others sitting nearby were ticked off as well -- Patrick Sharp, Brent Seabrook, Patrick Kane and James Wisniewski -- but it was Toews appearing to take another loss the worst.

"We've just got to hate to lose a little more," Toews said.

Hawks coach Denis Savard managed a bit of a smile when asked about Toews' intensity.

"He cares," Savard said. "I think you guys know what he's all about already. He wants to win, but he can't do it by himself. Everybody needs to jump on board here.

"It's great. It's awesome. That's what I'm saying, everybody has to jump on board with him."

Toews played a whopping 22 minutes and 40 seconds, most among the forwards, and led the Hawks with 8 shots on goal.

Daily Herald

Last edited by ChiGuySez: 07-19-2008 at 01:11 AM.
ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:41 AM
UpGoesRupp

This is a perfect situation for Toews. He's coming into a young locker room donning the "C" The core players around him may have more NHL experience, but only by a few. However, Toews is the most proven player in the locker room anyways. Night in and night out. The only other person on the Ballot would've been Duncan Keith. Who had an "A" last year. Toews also has the Yzerman swagger about him that makes the players want to follow him. His leadership speaks volumes over crosby, Crosby's skill makes him a leader. Toews iniative makes him a leader. Finally the NHL gets superstars around the league. Enough of the drought. No one would be complaining if Ovechkin got the "C" or Kopitar. This is the new Stevie Y

UpGoesRupp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:44 AM
backs4mvp

I've always thought the "C" should go to a well respected(league wide) vet(or a player that's at least been around for a handful seasons). They're supposed to be the team's representitive, and how can someone represent an NHL team when they haven't even played a full season... just don't don't get it.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Cruiser008

A worthy choice. Toews is mature beyond his years and is already an excellent leader on and off the ice.

Cruiser008 is offline   Reply With Quote