HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jonathan Toews named Captain of the Blackhawks/Hawks to also retire #3

Old
07-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Kostik20

vCash: 500
Toews deserves it...he's proven himself as a leader...
Captain Toews > Captain Crosby

Kostik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Heat McManus

I think some people assume once you're named captain that means you carry the entire team. While he's the captain there are other supporting players.

There's no reason this kid can't handle the responsibilities.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Havlat24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
WHAT!?

Toews? The one that just left college? The one that didn't even play full season with the Hawks?

Dumb, dumb move.

Campbell would have made better choice. And thats saying something.
More like dumb post..Toews will be a GREAT captain for the Hawks this year and till he retires. He's got all the right stuff

Havlat24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:38 AM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Good for Toews. I hope his career turns out like Yzerman's.

I Hate You All* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:49 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestZephyr View Post
This is a perfect situation for Toews. He's coming into a young locker room donning the "C" The core players around him may have more NHL experience, but only by a few. However, Toews is the most proven player in the locker room anyways. Night in and night out. The only other person on the Ballot would've been Duncan Keith. Who had an "A" last year. Toews also has the Yzerman swagger about him that makes the players want to follow him. His leadership speaks volumes over crosby, Crosby's skill makes him a leader. Toews iniative makes him a leader. Finally the NHL gets superstars around the league. Enough of the drought. No one would be complaining if Ovechkin got the "C" or Kopitar. This is the new Stevie Y
In most Chicago fan's views Seabrook was the other most likely captain candidate and not Keith.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Hawkster
The Magic Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik Fan View Post
Good for Toews. I hope his career turns out like Yzerman's.
The huge amount of praise that Yzerman gave Toews before and after the World Championships in 2007, was one of the many, many reasons why he was chosen as captain. Tallon speaks about it at the official site.

His age doesn't matter one bit - Leaders are born, not made. A couple more years would make no difference at all.

The players (young and old) in the locker room completely respect him already, so let him continue to lead by example.

Hawkster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 06:46 AM
russmatuss

Young team = Young captain

russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:59 AM
tylerbear*

Great move by the Blackhawk's. If anyone is ready to lead us out of the basement, and put the Hawks back on the map, it's Toews.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:43 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey View Post
Your from New York, which means you've probably have not seen the Blackhawks or Toews play with the exception of maybe one or two times plus some youtube highlights. I would reserve that type of judgement if I was you.
Wrong. Skillful players=/=great leaders.

Young players=/=Veteran

Captain should always be a veteran.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:58 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
If he's the teams best leader, he should be captain, regardless of age.
I think we often forget that the Captain has administrative/management responsibilities. He schedules stuff. He makes sure equipment arrives and players know when the bus is leaving.

There is more to it than the locker room and the bench.

Captain on the ice is not above a young guy. The other stuff can distract a young guy from learning the NHL game.

Fedorov made comments of a similar nature when asked about Ovechkin being Captain.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
That's great. Cool to see Toews as the frontman of what is hopefully a much brighter future for the Blackhawks.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Seems odd. People got upset enough when Crosby was made captain... at least he had played a full year with the Penguins and was already without a doubt, the leader and go to guy on that team. Toews contributed very well, and I have no doubts that he'll be an amazing captain in the future. But right now I don't believe he's the best leader on the team.

My favorite post in this thread has to be how Toews has proven himself as a better captain as the young captain who took his team to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Jill Sandwich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:16 PM
JTG

If they feel the kid is ready to handle that load, then let him have it. Some players flourish under that kind of stress, and I think Toews will. Ever since he has been drafted, experts regarded him as a complete player with a good head on his shoulders. Give him the C and let him set the tone for the entire team.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:20 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post

My favorite post in this thread has to be how Toews has proven himself as a better captain as the young captain who took his team to the Stanley Cup Finals.
Completely comical. What a joke.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Kostik20

Quote:
WHAT!?

Toews? The one that just left college? The one that didn't even play full season with the Hawks?

Dumb, dumb move.

Campbell would have made better choice. And thats saying something.

at this post.....

Cambell just got to chicago....he does not know anyone on the team yet...but he is ready to be their leader???

Toews was the obvious choice because he's proven himself as a leader even though he's only played part of the season...

Kostik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Teemu

Quote:

Young players=/=Veteran

Bull. Lang has no leadership skills. Havlat has no leadership skills. Campbell hasn't played a game for us yet. Who, then, Sopel?

As for Magnuson, I'm a little iffy on the co-jersey thing. As tragic as Magnuson's passing was, he was never anything more than a pretty-good defenseman. He falls way short of the other man with the #3.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:58 PM
DeeMeck

I always thought Seabrook would eventually be the captain there.

When did a team naming a captain become such a media spectacle anyways?

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Seems odd. People got upset enough when Crosby was made captain... at least he had played a full year with the Penguins and was already without a doubt, the leader and go to guy on that team. Toews contributed very well, and I have no doubts that he'll be an amazing captain in the future. But right now I don't believe he's the best leader on the team.

I think they're both fine choices for captain. Crosby's already proved he was, and I'm sure Toews will this season.

My two favorite players in the league. Couldn't be happier that Toews got this distinction.

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:29 PM
TopProspecT

What im seeing from this thread is that, most of the disagreements with this move are coming from non hawk fans, who i doubt have seen us play much.
Every single hawk fan that has come here, knows the team inside and out, agrees that this is a great move. It really was the "only" move, we all knew this was coming because savard hinted toward it parts of last year and during the offseason. I cant picture a scenario where somone else would be named captain.

TopProspecT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:16 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey View Post
Your from New York, which means you've probably have not seen the Blackhawks or Toews play with the exception of maybe one or two times plus some youtube highlights. I would reserve that type of judgement if I was you.
I forgot, being from New York strips you of seeing any sporting even outside the Tri-State area. It's not like we have channels dedicated to NHL games, like say we call it Center Ice, where you can watch all the league's games. What's more, if something like that were to ever blossom into a wet dream come true, you could actually follow a non local team! What a world that would be.

Back to topic at hand, I'm glad to see Jonathan as the new captain. Forget his age, the kid is damn mature and damn fit for the job. That's not to say we can't expect bumps in the road, but he is fit for the job, arguably more so than most/all others on the team.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Hawkster
The Magic Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelo View Post
When did a team naming a captain become such a media spectacle anyways?
They chose the inaugural Blackhawks convention (an event that's going on all weekend) as a good time to name the next captain. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The announcement took up a whole 2 minutes out of the nights festivities.

Hawkster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:33 PM
btnh6668

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I forgot, being from New York strips you of seeing any sporting even outside the Tri-State area. It's not like we have channels dedicated to NHL games, like say we call it Center Ice, where you can watch all the league's games. What's more, if something like that were to ever blossom into a wet dream come true, you could actually follow a non local team! What a world that would be.
You are not being logical. What you say cannot be true!

btnh6668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik20 View Post
Toews deserves it...he's proven himself as a leader...
Captain Toews > Captain Crosby
Spoken like a 4 year old in Chicago that has NO idea what their talking about! Didn't Sid just Captain his team to the Stanley Cup Finals in his first year wearing the C ? I'll be waiting for Toews to do the same and I think I'll be waiting a while. Toews is still a great choice for Chicago's Captain, but people really got to give up the Sid bashing on this issue. As someone that follows the Penguins closely, which most Sid haters do not, Sid has done a fine job as Captain of the team and will continue to do so throughout his career in Pittsburgh.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
Toews is the perfect fit for the captaincy. He's got great character and he fits in well for the huge youth element of the Blackhawks.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Kenobody

Quote:

Young players=/=Veteran

And being a veteran doesn't necessarily imply that you are a great leader.

Toews is a good choice for the Blackhawks' new captain.

Kenobody is offline   Reply With Quote