HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Toews named Captain for Blackhawks

Old
07-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Everest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
What I think is pretty much the proverbial pinch of coon excrement.

Maloney and Gretzky seem to have earmarked Hanzal for that role and he seems to have done pretty well in his first season at it.

The kid just underwent back surgery so he may be delayed a bit but I'll certainly be watching closely to see if what you say inhibits him.

All good.

Just don't tear apart your den when Turris plays centre and Hanzal moves onto his wing next year.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:13 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
All good.

Just don't tear apart your den when Turris plays centre and Hanzal moves onto his wing next year.
Won't happen.

Maloney and Gretzky are already saying Turris, Boedker and Fedoruk are the second line. They want some toughness to protect the kids.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:31 AM
the word*

Toews is not ready for this step; mentally or physically. I think he could be ready for the role in another 5 years. I think his best days as a player will not come for a long time. A mistake not to bring him along more slowly.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:27 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

WAY TO YOUNG!!

I mean 20. COME ON! thats way to much pressure !

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:29 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Won't happen.

Maloney and Gretzky are already saying Turris, Boedker and Fedoruk are the second line. They want some toughness to protect the kids.
WHAT!!!!

are you sure? 2nd line ?

Old
07-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Meanashell11

Little advice for everyone, there's this great "ignore" button. I have only used it once and DSF is the guy on the list. He should just stay on the Yotes board.

Meanashell11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:52 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinddalSENATORS View Post
WHAT!!!!

are you sure? 2nd line ?
That was the word from Maloney during their prospects camp...who knows how it will play out though.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Piffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
all I will say is, if there is a locker room vote, Toewz doens't get the C. He probably shows a lot of leadership for his age, Personally I think he is going to be a great great player. HE shoudln't be captian at that age. Just not how it works, again 35 year olds don't listen to teenagers.
I live and breathe the Hawks, and I can tell you this is not true. My guess is that if there was a secret locker room vote, he would get every single vote. Some of you guys that don't follow the Hawks as closely have a hard time understanding this, I know. He leads the teams at practice, he is very talkative and encouraging people through drills. He calls his team out when they are not giving 100%. Off the ice, the players gravitate to him and want to do things with him. He never, ever takes a shift off and leads by example. He wants to win with every fiber of his being. The team had a playoff record with him in the lineup last year and a really bad losing record when he was out with injury. The players want to win, and they know that JT as captain is their best chance to do that.

I see no reason to wait any longer. What's the point in waiting? He is ready. If there are any vets that don't follow his lead (the only possible problem I could see is with Havlat), then Tallon will get rid of them. This is Toews' team.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:39 AM
LP

This reminds me of the Yzerman scenario. A young man drafted to a poor hockey club and given the team captaincy at such a young age. Many people questioned it back then and now they're doing the same questioning with Toews. Hopefully Toews' story has the same path.

LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:56 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
That was the word from Maloney during their prospects camp...who knows how it will play out though.
hehe, yeah that is the question !!

Old
07-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Let youth be served. The kid is well respected and sure it is a reach but send the message now. Surround him with positive, veteran assistants to help the learning process.

This move is likely as much about selling tickets and hope (ie. P.R.) as it is about Toews himself. The Chi franchise is finally in a position to sell hope and promise to reengage the fanbase and crowded market. Likely too much for most young players but Toews seems cut from the same cloth as early achievers like Yzerman, Crosby and the like. Not as talented but mature and respected bigtime.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote