HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Another outdoor game ! Too many too fast ?

Old
07-19-2008, 12:48 AM
edmonton_ice

vCash: 500
Another outdoor game ! Too many too fast ?

I really think the NHL is starting to milk the outdoor game. I think by having them in back to back years it may loose lure and the attraction. I would think maybe having them every few years or maybe even the all-star game outdoors, one time, would be a good idea.

What do think ?

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Freaky Styley

i think the outdoor game should be the all-star game...would make it far more interesting.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:59 AM
dtones520

I dont see how making an annual event out of it is a bad thing. It's a good way for the league to get national exposure, as most media outlets were hyped about it last year. Most people on ESPN wanted to see multiple games like that a year.

The league can do a lot of different things to keep it interesting too, like playing at historic places like Wrigley Field, getting historic matchups (Oilers vs. Islanders in a 80's dynasty battle, etc.), highlighting young stars. These types of events in sports have more appeal than an all star game. And if it does start losing it's appeal, axe it for a while.

Right now the Winter Classic is the best thing the NHL has for it's regular season. It competed with January 1st college football ratings for god's sake. And I think the ratings may be better for this next one, considering the two markets that are in it.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:59 AM
saskganesh

nope. there's over 1300 indoor games every year, so one outdoor event per annum is not a real problem.

its an event that millions of people enjoy. it should be milked for maximum cream.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:03 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton_ice View Post
What do think ?
Mmmmmmm lemme think about it.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:03 AM
TheSandman

Outdoor games will make for a great yearly event.....its fun for the players and fans, and great exposure for the league.

I am against the idea of the all-star game being outdoors. While it would be a great publicity event, I think it would be more entertaining to watch a game that actually matters in the standings. You'd also get to have 50,000+ fans cheering for their team out there instead of being indifferent.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:04 AM
dtones520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden CM View Post
i think the outdoor game should be the all-star game...would make it far more interesting.
I think that it would make the all-star game a worse game than it is. The players already play soft and try not to get hurt. I think that would be even more emphasized if the game were outside with the bad ice conditions and whatnot. The all-star game doesnt have the same allure as Chicago Vs. Detroit or Sidney Crosby in an outdoor game. It wouldnt match the ratings the game would get now. And that is what it is about. Maybe do the all-star game outdoors one year, but I dont think it would be smart to do annually, that would lose it's allure faster than playing two different teams in it every year.

Plus, the All-Star game is a good way to give an individual market a boost in hockey, as any all-star games bring big hype. Heck, Atlanta sold out the NHL all-star game.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:06 AM
SpokaneChiefs

I think its great! 1 game a year is not to much for the casual hockey fan. Plus being on New Years Day, It is one of those things people can look forward to like Thanksgiving Day Football.

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:18 AM
Kostik20

Outdoor games should be just the way they are....one game anually....that way its still a special event since its only once a year.....

Cant wait to go wrigley field!!!!!

Kostik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:35 AM
massivegoonery

Last year's game was awesome. I can't wait to watch my Hawks beat the snot out of the Red Wings in the freezing cold!

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:44 AM
Jimmy McNulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneChiefs View Post
I think its great! 1 game a year is not to much for the casual hockey fan. Plus being on New Years Day, It is one of those things people can look forward to like Thanksgiving Day Football.
Absolutely. I'll never get sick of football on Thanksgiving. And the Winter Classic was absolutely awesome last year. As long as they rotate venues, I feel making it an annual tradition on New Years Day would add more attraction than doing it randomly once every five years or whatever.

Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:57 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

I love the idea of one outdoor game a year at different historic, and non-traditional locations (like Wrigley Field, Commonwealth Stadium, potentially Yankee Stadium, etc.)

I want to see a Canadian vs. American team next year, but regardless of the teams playing it's a BRILLIANT strategy. It's a bit of a novelty (taking the game back outdoors where it all started), it's also a regular season game, so the results matter and therefore the players give it their all, and more than 60,000 people can attend. The NHL is a gate-revenue dependent league, for the most part, so being able to put enough bums to fill 3-4 hockey arenas for one game is fantastic revenue, even if it costs more to run (I am assuming it's a profitable venture, of course).

It's one of the few alterations to the season that really have made sense from a business and spectator point of view.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:32 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
I dont see how making an annual event out of it is a bad thing. It's a good way for the league to get national exposure, as most media outlets were hyped about it last year. Most people on ESPN wanted to see multiple games like that a year.

The league can do a lot of different things to keep it interesting too, like playing at historic places like Wrigley Field, getting historic matchups (Oilers vs. Islanders in a 80's dynasty battle, etc.), highlighting young stars. These types of events in sports have more appeal than an all star game. And if it does start losing it's appeal, axe it for a while.

Right now the Winter Classic is the best thing the NHL has for it's regular season. It competed with January 1st college football ratings for god's sake. And I think the ratings may be better for this next one, considering the two markets that are in it.
Have to agree with this. Starting a new tradition is never a bad thing. However, what would you think of it if it became one outdoor game a year per team? Would it lose its flavoring then?

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Have to agree with this. Starting a new tradition is never a bad thing. However, what would you think of it if it became one outdoor game a year per team? Would it lose its flavoring then?
I'd say that would be too much.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:20 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

once a year is fine by me. More than that and I think it loses its coolness.

Old
07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
I think one game per year is pretty cool. I enjoyed the pittsburg one, with the players skating in the big flufffy slowflakes. I bet they loved it too.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Haddock

I don't get all the fuss about it being too much or Montréal being allowed to have one too in its centennial season. As long as the tickets are selling well, what's the problem? It's for hockey fans first and foremost, trying to get the casual US fans to care by making it only once in a while thing is a stupid idea.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Shoalzie

I love the concept...once a year is perfect.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
One this year is fine, but they shouldn't do one next year. Especially with the Olympics.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Nope. Once a year is perfect. IMO, they should do it every single New Year's. It's a fantastic way to generate interest.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I was very excited for the outdoor game last year and the visuals were amazing! The snow and everything was great, but the game itself was pretty bad compared to the indoor game. The outdoor ice is awful, it really slowed the game down in terms of delays. The speed of the game skating wise etc. was sooooooooo much slower on the outdoor surface. I had to convince myself what I was watching was still pretty cool but the negatives made it a tough watch. Once a year though is fine. The All Star game on the bad outdoor ice would be terrible. The All Star game is not old school hockey, it's all about skill and speed and that slow outdoor surface would kill the product.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 04:00 PM
BlueShirtsFan86

I think this is what the NHL needs, one game seen as special to a wider audience, thats a day off for everyone on a holiday, and brings something different that you don't get to see as often. Those things together make for a great game, I just wonder if something like a reward should be added, or rewarded to those who earn it?

One idea I have, maybe have it sort of the "What if" type of game. Take the teams that lost in the conference finals in the previous year, East and West, and pit them against each other. It'd play out as a scenario to see what could have happened had the two teams made it to the Stanely Cup Finals. Granted you won't have all the players, but it's another way to sell the Outdoor game to a wider audience while pleasing the regular fanbase and still having it count as a point in the standings.

BlueShirtsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote