HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ericsson re-signs with Wings, 3yr/2.7M one-way

Old
07-19-2008, 03:39 PM
JacksonGalaxy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
So Wings fans, what is Holland going to do after signing Filppula to something between 2.5-3? Does that not put you around 56, and therefore doing a tango with the cap ceiling?
It's very unlikely that Filppula gets that much. There's supposedly a short-term and long-term deal on the table for him. The more years he gets the more money he'll get annually because the Wings expect him to keep getting better.

But if worst comes to worst and he hits arbitration, Loui Eriksson and Daniel Paille are great comparisons for Filppula. Each had very similar production this season. Eriksson got $1.6 million and Paille got $1.125, each for two years. I'd be shocked if Filppula broke anything over like $2.25, and even then it would have to be three or four years.

JacksonGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:40 PM
AngryBeavers
Suh Nation

Quote:
So Wings fans, what is Holland going to do after signing Filppula to something between 2.5-3? Does that not put you around 56, and therefore doing a tango with the cap ceiling?
Never question Kenny..

AngryBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:42 PM
hdw

Quote:
I don't think it will be 2.5-3, I think it will be less.

But it will be a tango with the cap, that's for sure.

Maybe some dudes will be tossed before the season starts.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:25 PM
dtones520

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I'd rather see Chelios retire before I trade Lilja. For all the crap Wings fans give him, he's a much better player than Lebda or Chelios.
He's much better than the crap that Wings fans make him out to be. Yeah, he makes a few big mental blunders, but those are rare. They are just glaring. He has been in most Wings fans dog house since that turnover he made in overtime against Anaheim 2 years ago. They seem to forget that if Nick Lidstrom would have used his body to block Scott Niedermeyer's tying goal with 20 seconds or whatever, instead of sticking his stick in front of a shot from the point we would have never gone to overtime.

Anyway, Lilja is a lot better than he get's credit for. He'd be a number 4 guy on just about any team, and would be on Detroit's if it werent for Stuart.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:29 PM
dtones520

Quote:
Filppula doesnt sign for more than $2 million, count on that. They wont pay him more than Zetterberg, regardless of where Zetterberg is in his contract years.

Filppula hasnt done anything to get him a $2.5+ deal from Detroit yet. Maybe on another team.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:37 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
He's much better than the crap that Wings fans make him out to be. Yeah, he makes a few big mental blunders, but those are rare. They are just glaring.
Just to repeat the obvious.

If you are a stay-at-home D man, then you aren't allowed to make mental blunders, because they will blow up in your face.

Henrik Lundqvist, NYR Goalie, once asked the assembled media how they would like to work with a red flashing light going off over their head every time they made a single mistake

Kronwall makes a number of bad decisions every game, but they aren't fatal, because Stuart saves his bacon.

If Stuart (or Lilja) would make such a bone head move, we would ask for their heads (and we do, almost every game).

Old
07-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Spalfredsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Not for the 2008-09 season. Don't count on him getting anything more than injury callup time, and even then it would only be minimal since the Wings plan on carrying 8 defenseman on the roster.
I don't mind, for a rebuilding franchise like mine, I can wait a few seasons for him to develop...

Last edited by Spalfredsson: 07-20-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Spalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:08 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speatley View Post
I don't mind, for a rebuilding franchise like man, I can wait a few seasons for him to develop...
It's almost illegal and close to unfair.

Big Rig can cook and develop in GR and still be called up whenever Babs need him.

But then again, where did Hossa sign?

Old
07-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Alpha190

Detroit has around 3.8M before signing Ericsson, I doubt Ericsson will play the full season out in Detroit with 187 days, which doesn't bring Ericsson's 900k cap hit to a full 900k this season.

Same thing goes with Darren Helm, he'll be called up probably as the 13th forward, that again isn't a full seasons cap hit at 500k. So there is some space left if Filppula signs at a 2.5M cap hit.

Alpha190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:35 PM
cmccallum

Wings still need to sign Jimmy Howard though!. So that's where the dilemma comes in. I see Filppula signing at 2.3 a year. Can't wait to see how Ericsson develops, scary if Jonathan really learns to use that size.

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:40 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha190 View Post
Detroit has around 3.8M before signing Ericsson, I doubt Ericsson will play the full season out in Detroit with 187 days, which doesn't bring Ericsson's 900k cap hit to a full 900k this season.

Same thing goes with Darren Helm, he'll be called up probably as the 13th forward, that again isn't a full seasons cap hit at 500k. So there is some space left if Filppula signs at a 2.5M cap hit.

Ericsson is on a one way and will be on the cap for 187 days of the season unless they plan on waving him to the minors, where the last place team will instantly pick him up.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:49 PM
AngryBeavers
Suh Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Ericsson is on a one way and will be on the cap for 187 days of the season unless they plan on waving him to the minors, where the last place team will instantly pick him up.
He is waiver exempt as said earlier..

AngryBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:55 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I wonder if this means that Jakub Kindl might get moved because he seems to be low on the depth list at this point.

Last edited by BobbyClarkeFan16: 07-19-2008 at 10:13 PM.
BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:57 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBeavers View Post
He is waiver exempt as said earlier..

I see.

Did not read that part.

Is that due to lack of NHL experience?

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:32 PM
arin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I wonder if this means that Jakub Kindl might get moved because he seems to be low on the depth list at this point.
What? No way. Its not like our depth is changing at all with this signing.

I'd take Kindl long term over any of Detroit's defense prospects(sides Ericsson).

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus the destroyer View Post
Wings still need to sign Jimmy Howard though!. So that's where the dilemma comes in. I see Filppula signing at 2.3 a year. Can't wait to see how Ericsson develops, scary if Jonathan really learns to use that size.
-Jimmy is waiver exempt and will probably not play in Detroit this year. Isnt relevant against the cap this year.

- Filppula will not get more than $2

arin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
FissionFire

Just want to reiterate.....Wings fans should know better than to think Ericsson will break camp in Detroit barring an injury. Holland loves his depth, and Ericsson in Grand Rapids allows us to keep 1 more defenseman for 9 NHL-ready players. Keeping Ericsson only gives us 8 NHL-ready defenseman, all but assuring we'll waste a 2nd or 3rd round pick on the next Cory Cross for depth at the deadline.

Quote:
Ericsson won't be on the roster so his 900k won't matter. Filppula looks to be leaning towards a 2yr deal which will probably pay him in the 1.25-1.75M range. We shouldn't be too close to the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus the destroyer View Post
Howard will join Ericsson in Grand Rapids. Flip won't get over 2M on his contract unless he goes for the longterm option. He'd never win an arbitration case for 2M+ with so many sub 1.5M comparables for him out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Kindl is still viewed as being 2-3 years away from being NHL-ready so this doesn't change anything really. By that time it seems likely that Lidstrom may be retired, much to the chagrin of Detroit fans.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Admiral*

So is it a one-way or two-way? This thread is really confusing.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Bob Probert Owns You
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
So is it a one-way or two-way? This thread is really confusing.
It's a one-way deal, but he is waiver exempt so he can be sent down to Grand Rapids without having to clear... all the one-way means is that he will make the same salary in GR or in Detroit. Also, his salary only counts against the cap when he is in Detroit.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 05:24 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
It's a one-way deal, but he is waiver exempt so he can be sent down to Grand Rapids without having to clear... all the one-way means is that he will make the same salary in GR or in Detroit. Also, his salary only counts against the cap when he is in Detroit.
This is really confusing, because Mlive.com says this:

Quote:
The deal reportedly will average $900,000 a season ($550,000 next season, $900,000 in 2009-10 and $1.25 million in 2010-11). It will be a two-way contract, meaning Ericsson will receive a lower salary and won't count against the salary cap if he's assigned to Grand Rapids (AHL).
and

Quote:
Ericsson is the only player among their 10 defensemen who can be sent to the minors without going through waivers, he is likely to begin the season in Grand Rapids, barring a rash of injuries.
I'm sorry if I'm wrong and don't fully understand it. But you can sign an one-way contract and still can be sent down without being claimed? Isn’t the two-way contract meant for that?

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 06:50 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
I'm sorry if I'm wrong and don't fully understand it. But you can sign an one-way contract and still can be sent down without being claimed? Isnít the two-way contract meant for that?
The oneway/twoway part is all about salary.

The rules for waivers are in the CBA and depends on age, draft date and number of pro games played.

Note that nothing has been confirmed yet, even if the source (to the Aftonbladet article) seems (and sounds) very solid.

Why Mlive says that it's a two-way contract is unknown, since they don't give any source.

My guess is that they where using Aftonbladet as source and slipped a little on the translation (esp since Aftonbladet pointed out that Ericsson could still end up in AHL).

Old
07-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Alpha190

yepp Aftonbladet stated in their article that it was a one way contract. I didn't screw up on the translation.

Probably an translation error on mlive.com part.

Alpha190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:04 PM
angularcrayon19
It's The System

If we traded Lilja this year would he still affect our cap hit? Then we could play Ericsson which would be a few bucks cheaper? sorry if thats wrong.. I still am unsure of how money works in the NHL... I just love watching games!

angularcrayon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:

Haha. Filppula to 2.5-3M? Yeah. He'll get paid more than Zetterberg. Right.

If Filppula asks for big money, his butt will be in arbitration quicker than you can finish reading this post. And the max he gets in arbitration is 2M, and thats the high mark..

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 03:20 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
I don't think it will be 2.5-3, I think it will be less.

But it will be a tango with the cap, that's for sure.

Maybe some dudes will be tossed before the season starts.
Maybe some dudes will be tossed? Someone will DEFINITELY be tossed, be it Lebda, Lilja, Quincey, Meech, or a pair of them..

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Angels for Everyone

well..

IT'S OFFICIAL NOW

on the nhlpa website with the 550k this year disclosed

http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=26120

Angels for Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote