HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fisher refused to give up #12 for Bondra?

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Dr Love

vCash: 500
I'm well aware of the superstition and tradition factor. But come on, it's a jersey number. This is a non issue, there are plenty of players that don't keep their number when they get traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
Reflect well on your sour POV regarding veteran players, and lack of respect.

Typical.
Could you make a more asinine comment? I don't even know what the hell you are talking about with this "sour POV" and lack of respect stuff.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Bobby Clarke
this is Bondra, a 14 year vet who will go down as one of the best if not the best Czec. born players and is a real classy guy.
Actually he was Ukranian born and Slovakian trained.

This is a non-issue, and whoever is arguing it is wasting there time. Watercooler talk, not whine and complain about it.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Radulov for Czar*

"The name on the front is a hell of a lot more important than the name on the back"
- The late Herb Brooks

Old
02-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Upon1

The same thing happened with a football team down here where a legend of the game came back and wanted his #4. The kid who had it wouldn't give it up and the coach ended up saying how impressed he was by the kid's stand and how it showed guts to make that decision when everyone expected the star player to be given his number back. That kid is now in the running for captaincy.

I have zero problem with what Fisher decided. Good on him!

Old
02-19-2004, 10:50 PM
Higgy4

I agree that it is a nice, respectful thing to do. But it doesn't HAVE to be done. Most guys do it, but its Fisher's decision. Deal with it.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
"The name on the front is a hell of a lot more important than the name on the back"
- The late Herb Brooks
LOL, I was going to post the same quote. Nice work.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine
He isn't obligated to do it, but it's a sign of respect....one of those unwritten rules. Bondra's in his 14th year and nearing 500 goals. He deserves the number of his choice.
Shame of you Fisher.
Hey, Stone Roses, nice work..

Old
02-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
- The late Herb Brooks
That's an ironic quote considering your avatar is of the back Steve Sullivan's jersey

My personal feeling is that giving Bondra #12 is more than just a matter of respect. It's also extending the olive branch, and showing leadership. It's like saying, "I'm so happy you're here, you can even have the number off my back".

I know that Fisher didn't have to do it, that's what would have made it a classy move if he did. I would've done it, but hey, I'm not in the NHL...

Old
02-20-2004, 12:38 AM
shveik

Quote:
- The late Herb Brooks
That's precisely why Fisher should have given up his number. Bondra is going to be with the Sens for a total of what, 2 - 3 months? Why is so hard to give the veteran newcomer a little respect and make him feel welcome?

Old
02-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I used to think that this was because of the good ol' Canadian upbringing was the reason for this wonderful difference in hockey players but as withnessed by a lot of the views on this board by those who have been brought up by WWF and NBA mentality instead of their mothers and fathers, it's pretty clear that hockey is becoming no different than any of the other professional sports!

Its a damn shame!
And you think American or International players are going to be jackasses about it?

Old
02-20-2004, 01:58 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
That's an ironic quote considering your avatar is of the back Steve Sullivan's jersey

My personal feeling is that giving Bondra #12 is more than just a matter of respect. It's also extending the olive branch, and showing leadership. It's like saying, "I'm so happy you're here, you can even have the number off my back".

I know that Fisher didn't have to do it, that's what would have made it a classy move if he did. I would've done it, but hey, I'm not in the NHL...

I have to agree. I respect Fisher's decision. But I think most players would have given it up. To each his own.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:01 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik
That's precisely why Fisher should have given up his number. Bondra is going to be with the Sens for a total of what, 2 - 3 months? Why is so hard to give the veteran newcomer a little respect and make him feel welcome?
Bondra will be back next season, so make that 15-16 months.
I'll admit, i was a bit surprised to see Fisher refuse to give up his number, the guy is captain material through and through, seems to me it would have been a very classy move. That said, there is no obligation here, who even knows if Bondra gives damn? Fisher is not a rookie, he's been with the Sens 5 years, he's earned the #12

Old
02-20-2004, 02:06 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Earlier in the NBA season when the Toronto Raptors aquired Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall from Chicago both players numbers were already being worn by Toronto role players. Micheal Bradley wore Rose's number 5 and Mengke Bateer wore Marshall's number 42. Both Rose and Marshall ended up paying Bradley and Bateer an unknown amount of money in order to get their jersey number. I thought it was kind of weird that they had to pay to get their number because in hockey, younger players usually always end up giving a newly aquired veteran their number. Maybe Fisher could have made some money out of this whole thing.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
Earlier in the NBA season when the Toronto Raptors aquired Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall from Chicago both players numbers were already being worn by Toronto role players. Micheal Bradley wore Rose's number 5 and Mengke Bateer wore Marshall's number 42. Both Rose and Marshall ended up paying Bradley and Bateer an unknown amount of money in order to get their jersey number. I thought it was kind of weird that they had to pay to get their number because in hockey, younger players usually always end up giving a newly aquired veteran their number. Maybe Fisher could have made some money out of this whole thing.
This is pretty much commonplace. When numbers are switched, it usually involves some sort of friendly compensation.

Old
02-20-2004, 03:44 AM
The Hamburglar

I have a Fisher #12 jersey, and so do many other people in the Ottawa area. If they were to mark down which Ottawa players jerseys are purchased the most, Fisher would probably be the 5th most popular Sen. I guess I'd be probably disappointed if my jersey became "out of date".

Old
02-20-2004, 08:40 AM
PSUhockey34

I dont know, Fisher is playing with fire by not letting Bondra wear #12...remember the movie "The Fan" with DeNiro and Snipes when the guy refused to let him wear his number...whole lot of crazyness went down

Fisher has no obligation to give Bondra #12 regardless of tradition or respect...with the guy injured and away from his team, it might be the only thing that he thinks keeps him as part of the team

Old
02-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Steve L*

If Im in Fishers position I keep my number Ive had all my career.

If Im in Bondras position I ask for the #12, if he says no then I respect that because I wouldnt get annoyed about another guy keeping *his* number.

Either way it isnt a big deal.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

When Dave Andreychuk returned to Buffalo for his second stint with the team a couple years ago his old #25 was taken by Vaclav Varada. Varada didn't give the number up and Andreychuk wore #52 that year and was fine.

Besides, does anybody have any proof that Bondra actually has a problem with this?

Old
02-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
If i were Fisher, i'd as for a Rolex and then cough up the #, like someone said, i think its customary to give a "gift" to the player with the # that you want or have worn for a long long time.

Bure was 10 for a long time in Vancouver, then he was 96, then 10 again, now 9...just a number, Roenick was 27 and is now 97...
Yeah, some guys jump around quite a bit. Even the stars, like Roenick. Brett Hull was 16 in St.Louis, 22 in Dallas, and now 17 in Detroit.

Its important to some...not so important to others. Has Bondra himself said anything about it? Maybe he doesnt really care either.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Hossa

Fisher is a veteran for the Senators, a young vet, but still a vet. He's been around for 5 years and is an integral part of the "core" of this team. It's not as though he's giving up his number for a month or two, Bondra will be back next year, whenever that is.

I don't see the problem here. If Zhamnov goes to Philadelphia and wants his old number, should Simon Gagne feel the heat to give it up? Gagne may be a better player than Fisher, but it's a similar scenario of a player who is very popular, has been around for a while and his jersey, as mentioned above, is a popular sell in the area. I doubt Bondra cares.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
Fisher is a veteran for the Senators, a young vet, but still a vet. He's been around for 5 years and is an integral part of the "core" of this team. It's not as though he's giving up his number for a month or two, Bondra will be back next year, whenever that is.

I don't see the problem here. If Zhamnov goes to Philadelphia and wants his old number, should Simon Gagne feel the heat to give it up? Gagne may be a better player than Fisher, but it's a similar scenario of a player who is very popular, has been around for a while and his jersey, as mentioned above, is a popular sell in the area. I doubt Bondra cares.
Actually, Claude LaPointe wears Zhamnov's number. Good points all around though.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Other Dave

I'd just like to point out that Bondra is wearing the jersey formerly worn by the leading scorer from the 1996 draft.

Other Dave

Old
02-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Actually, Claude LaPointe wears Zhamnov's number. Good points all around though.
I didn't know which player had the number, it was just an example. Out of curiosity, did Lapointe give it up?

Old
02-20-2004, 03:28 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I dont think its that big of a deal and I dont think Bondra does either. Maybe Fisher did offer it to him and he said "no you keep it". has there actually been anythin on Fisher saying no its my number or is this just speculation cause Bondra is wearing number 10?

Old
02-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67
I dont think its that big of a deal and I dont think Bondra does either. Maybe Fisher did offer it to him and he said "no you keep it". has there actually been anythin on Fisher saying no its my number or is this just speculation cause Bondra is wearing number 10?
I would bet that's how it went down.

Closed Thread